Enlighten Me

The Servant [HIATUS]

Enlighten Me

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo is muddled.

 

He’s always been curious as a child, but he knows when to stop nosing around, at least until part of his inquisition is fulfilled. It’s because of this desire to know that what’s gotten him into taking up piano and violin classes in the first place, though he has to admit he’s somewhat losing interest in both of them the moment his father subtly said to him that he wanted his son into his line of business. Kyungsoo kind of felt his hopes crushed, but he wasn't too dispirited since he kind of saw it coming anyway.

 

Kyungsoo’s curiosity, however, takes a peak ever since the interview held at the family house. It’s up to the point that he’d want to know about a certain someone’s background, and he’s never felt too pulled to someone as he is now.

 

Jongin is by far mysterious. That much Kyungsoo has figured out.

 

It’s probably got to do with the doppelganger model he’s seen in his mother’s videos, but even though Kyungsoo tells himself that he’s pretty convinced it’s impossible for Jongin to have been in America working for his mother, there’s a small part in him that itches to know if it was really him.

 

Doing the tie around his neck right now is none other than the said servant, with Kyungsoo being fairly silent as he stares at their feet, unable to look at the taller’s face for obvious reasons.

 

Kyungsoo has a lot on his mind right now, and it’d have burst if it wasn't for Jongin muttering ‘done’ and giving him a soft smile after being done with the tie. Pulled out of his own state of trance, Kyungsoo blinks. “O-oh. Thanks.”

 

Jongin then goes to complete his pending tasks, leaving a very befuddled Kyungsoo in the room.

 

-

 

It’s hard to see his father when breakfast comes around, since his father sometimes stays in his study and eats there instead of going down to the dining hall or the kitchen.

 

So Kyungsoo is somewhat surprised to see his father sitting in one of the stools on the kitchen counter, holding a mug of what presumably looks like black coffee while reading the newspapers.

 

Kyungsoo goes to him and lays a hand on his father’s arm, earning his attention and a fatherly smile, and he cranes his head to receive the peck on the cheek.

 

“Good morning, son.” His father greets, and Kyungsoo greets him back and shortly smiles at him before pulling out a stool for him to sit. One of the maids places a glass of milk and Kyungsoo instantly downs it, just noticing how hungry he feels after his late night’s sleep.

 

“You’re not working today?” The boy asks, stealing a muffin from the basket situated on the counter.

 

“My secretary is doing all the work today since I’ll be catching a flight tonight.”

 

Kyungsoo hums in understanding, used to his father going for business trips. Even though it’s kind of sad to be away from the only person he can see as an adult figure (since his mother practically works overseas anyway), it’s always been fine because his father always brings back something for him, and Kyungsoo has learnt how to deal with it for a long time now. “Where will you be going?”

 

“I have to meet someone in Beijing, and there are several meetings I need to attend there as well.” Insung further elaborates, and Kyungsoo can’t keep up with half the things he said because it’s too complicated for his 17 year old brain. He settles for nodding and acts as if he’s paying attention.

 

“I’ll leave one of my cards with you so you can go shopping if you wish.” Kyungsoo looks giddy at this statement.

 

“You’re the best dad ever.” The son squeals.

 

“You still need to think about what to do with your backpack closet.”

 

You’re the best dad ever.” Kyungsoo repeats desperately this time, dropping his head on the counter, earning an amused snort from Insung.

 

“How’s your new servant coming along?”

 

At the enquiry, Kyungsoo finds himself frowning at the mention of the servant. He looks up slowly at his father with a blank face. “Daddy.”

 

“Yes, son?”

 

“Are the men working here going to intern at your company later?” He asks instead, the question has been on his mind since that recent interview.

 

“Well, that depends.”

 

“Depends?”

 

“On whether they do well in their studies or not. I don't let people work under my wing for free, you see. It’s a fair enough trade; they study, we provide them a proper place to live in but in return they’ll have to work a bit for their rent as long as it isn’t clashed with their classes. If they have good results, then I may consider them under my company.”

 

Kyungsoo thinks about this. He has probably expected such thing from his father since it has happened before, but that was a long time ago, back when Kyungsoo was still in kindergarten, and now that his father has branches here and there, it’s no doubt he’ll need a handful of professional men to manage them.

 

And Jongin might be one of them, Kyungsoo learns.

 

-

 

When he goes to school that day, Baekhyun ambushes him looking worse than yesterday. The boy keeps going on and on about how he’s never getting a boyfriend with his bruising nose. It’s stopped bleeding, but the discoloration has become somewhat uglier than yesterday as Baekhyun slightly uncovers the bandage on his nose to show to Kyungsoo before redoing it.

 

“I should sue him for destroying my precious face.” Baekhyun declares with a slightly muffled voice due to the medium-sized bandage on his nose, dropping a fist down his table.

 

“Even though he said sorry?” Minseok asks distractedly while munching on his apple.

 

“A measly ‘sorry’ doesn't cover my hospital bills.” He grumbles.

 

“You’re being overdramatic, Baek.” Says Kyungsoo while opening up his Calculus workbook to the page he purposely lets blank since he plans on finishing it the few minutes before the first bell, bad choice or not.

 

Baekhyun gives him an ugly pout before leaning closer to Kyungsoo, his expression suddenly taking a dramatic turn into elation. “Anyway, I heard that your dad’s going away for a while.”

 

Kyungsoo gives him a skeptical look. Baekhyun slowly grins back. “Guess what?”

 

“No.”

 

Baekhyun looks betrayed. “I haven’t even said anything yet.”

 

“I know it isn’t gonna be a good thing if it comes from you.” Kyungsoo says off-handedly while looking down at his calculations, frowning at his own calculator and goes on to recheck his values.

 

“Well, I’m gonna crash at your place whether you like it or not.” Huffing decidedly, Baekhyun flares his nostrils and crosses his arms. “Your maids ain’t gonna turn me away anyway. They like me.”

 

“Okay, Baekhyun, okay.” Kyungsoo says distractedly, as if trying to humor a child.

 

It’s become somewhat quite between them while Baekhyun observes and points out some minor mistake in Kyungsoo’s calculation while the latter fixes it and Minseok propped on his desk messing with his cellphone.

 

“Oh guys,” Minseok says, eyes casted on the screen of his phone as he reads something. “Luhan hyung’s having a party this Saturday.”

 

Both Kyungsoo and Baekhyun perk up at this, but it is Baekhyun who jumps up from his seat and invades Minseok’s personal space to ask. “Where?”

 

“His friend’s place.” Minseok scrolls down his message. “Somewhere on the same street as his place. There’s this dude’s birthday party.”

 

Baekhyun looks hopefully at Kyungsoo, and if the latter focuses enough he can see stars in the taller’s eyes.

 

“No.”

 

“But whyyy?” Baekhyun whines like a child, dropping his arms on Kyungsoo’s desk and successfully blocking Kyungsoo from doing his pending homework. “Kyungsoo, both our dads are away. You know what this means. This is our weekend, baby!”

 

“Last time I went to a party I almost got a one night stand with my own stalker, so no.” Kyungsoo shook his head determinedly, shoving the blocking arms away from his book.

 

“That was one time, Kyungsoo, one time.” He exaggerates by shaking his pointer finger in Kyungsoo’s face. “I’ll be your knight in shining armor this time, and probably we’ll stay away from alcohol?”

 

Kyungsoo still looks doubtful. “You staying away from free alcohol? You?”

 

He’s got a point, and Baekhyun pouts in defeat for the lack of convincing attempts.

 

Truthfully, Kyungsoo does want to go. He likes the buzzing energy of a party; the loud thrumming bass that travels through his feet right to the core of his chest, the dim inconspicuous lighting, the mass of people forgetting their days on the dance floor. Kyungsoo doesn't dance, but he likes people-watching and just shadows there as he picks up the light snacks. It’s a whole new world and even though he’ll admit it’s kind of tacky at times but he loves it anyway.

 

So yes, Kyungsoo loves parties. It’s become somewhat a runaway place from his boring large house with too many maids and too many rooms to spare.

 

The first time Kyungsoo went to a party was also the time he realized his infatuation towards broad shoulders and sharp features of men, all thanks to alcohol. And perhaps Baekhyun too, but that’s a story to tell another time.

 

He’s been sneaking out a lot, especially when his father is away for business trips. The servants and maids who’s gotten word about it are convinced to stay hush-hush about his escapades, even assisting him there in terms of transport sometimes when he really needs it. The reason for it may has a lot to do with not wanting to be fired from the household; Kyungsoo’s an only son after all. Who is to say his father wouldn't believe him if he whines his way with him?

 

That is why there is a small teeny part in him that really wants to go, but at the same time is holding himself back because big chances Park Chanyeol’s going to be there too. And boy, Kyungsoo’s gotten sick of him chasing his tail around when it’s plain obvious he just has no interest in him whatsoever.

 

“So what’s the verdict, gentlemen?” Minseok chirps in, switching glances between the two boys of which one is pouting exaggeratingly while the other is staring hard at the math book.

 

Kyungsoo opens his mouth first. “We’re—”

 

“Going.” Baekhyun successfully cuts him off.

 

“Byun Baekhyun, I swear to heavens—”

 

“I’ll make sure you go. I’ll dress you up so good that no one can look away from you and they will come to you in a mob so Chanyeol will never get a chance to lay a finger on you.” Baekhyun leans forward dangerously close to Kyungsoo’s face. “And I never go down on my own words.” He whispers darkly before changing his stance again. “Anyway, I still haven’t seen this new manservant of yours.”

 

Upon the change of topic, Kyungsoo loses grip on his pen and it bounces on the table before landing on the floor. The three boys merely stare at the fallen pen without making any move of picking it up.

 

It’s Minseok who speaks first, somewhat huffily. “I told you there’s something about this manservant that Kyungsoo ain’t telling us!” He says to Baekhyun, sighing and shaking his head as if feigning disappointment.

 

As Kyungsoo quietly moves to pick up his pen, Baekhyun hums thoughtfully. “Point number two in the list of motives Byun’s son coming over to Do’s house.”

 

Kyungsoo looks up at this and frowns. “List? Really now, Baekhyun?” He asks as he makes a mental note of telling all maids to lock up and chain the house at the mere sight of Byun Baekhyun.

 

“Point number three goes along the lines of wanting to check out some of the new guys there. You know, say hello and stuff and I don't know, maybe updating my list of potential boyfriend candidates.” Baekhyun shrugs.

 

“Hey, what happened to Jongdae?” Minseok chirps in. “I thought you guys were going in a ‘good enough direction’, so you said.”

 

“It's a big and complicated world, kids.” Baekhyun says after exhaling somewhat gruffily, sounding like some old, wise man. “What doesn't fit won’t fit. What is not meant for each other, will never be.”

 

“Skip the narration.” Minseok says, and Kyungsoo mentally agrees.

 

“Jongdae doesn't see me that way.” Baekhyun solemnly says, before realizing something and scoffs. “I can’t believe I’ve been friendzoned all this time. Can you believe that?”

 

Kyungsoo and Minseok silently pats his shoulder as Baekhyun laughs somewhat miserably. Minseok lamely adds, “Well, there’s plenty of fish in the pond?”

 

“You mean sea.” Kyungsoo corrects.

 

-

 

Closing the door to his chauffeur’s car, Kyungsoo makes his way through the main doors, greeted by the maids in charge with a simple ‘welcome back’ to which Kyungsoo nods in acknowledgement.

 

The first thing he does after taking off his shoes is to head directly to the kitchen hoping to find any snack to satiate himself after another tiring school day.

 

Of course, knowing how often the Do’s child gets hungry, the kitchen counter is always filled with mouth-watering pastries only the chefs in the Do household are able to craft. He should probably ask his father to bribe them or something so they wouldn’t have the slightest idea of even leaving this household or else Kyungsoo would cry forever if he couldn’t have his favourite muffins.

 

Speaking of his father, Insung had said that he has a plane to catch tonight, and assuming that his flight is in the early evening, his father might as well has been underway to the airport by now.

 

He smiles mischievously, earning odd looks from some of the maids walking by. He is going to execute his mission.

 

Being the bored child that he is, Kyungsoo sometimes likes to spend time in his father’s library and taking a peek at some of the stuff he has been working on. He often goes through background checks of the people working in the house just because they’re interesting. Or Kyungsoo’s just really bored.

 

This time, he has a specific person on mind.

 

Snatching the biggest tart on the plate, Kyungsoo leaves the kitchen and goes in the opposite direction of his room.

 

His father’s study is located on the same floor of Kyungsoo’s bedroom, just in case Kyungsoo wants to see him or Insung has to personally drop some news to him. Apart from his secretary, Kyungsoo is the only person that can let himself in the study without needing permission, though he seldom does it as not to disturb Insung working.

 

His father spends so much time in the study rather than in his own bedroom that he sometimes just sleeps in his study and goes to his room just to dress up for work. The master bedroom is almost never inhabited, and the maids just make sure that it won’t gather dust in there.

 

With his blueberry tart half eaten in one hand and another resting on his hip, he looks around before twisting the doorknob open-

 

“I’m sorry, sir, but apparently Mr. Do has given me special request to keep this room locked until his return.”

 

Kyungsoo looks up and is met with the sight of a taller man (of course everyone has to be taller than him, of course) with broad shoulders, making the work attire look exceptionally good on him. Kyungsoo suppresses his jealousy for another time.

 

With the way this guy called him sir, it's obvious this guy has yet to know that Kyungsoo hates such stiffness. Giving him a once over that clearly makes him feel somewhat uncomfortable, it further confirms Kyungsoo's suspicions that he is one of the new guys.

 

Crossing his arms, Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow at him. "You must be new,” He takes a bite of his tart. “And apparently working for my father.” He chucks his chin in the direction of the locked door.

 

“He’s given me orders that no one is to enter this room in his absence.” The guy repeats, and Kyungsoo fights the urge to tell him to drop the formal tone with him. His father might appreciate it but it’s nothing appealing to the son.

 

“And I’m sure he’s made an exception for his son, no?” Kyungsoo retaliates.

 

The guy remains relatively quiet. He doesn’t seem all that surprised when Kyungsoo tells him that he’s the son; he probably already knew that. So Kyungsoo's left to interpret the silence as something else. "You're telling me that I can't even step in there?"

 

"An order is an order."

 

"Daddy's never been this ridiculous before..." The younger boy mumbles to himself, chewing on the last bite of his tart thoughtfully. When he brings his gaze forward, the guy was subtly clenching and unclenching his fists, looking like he'd rather be someplace else, not explaining himself to the son of Do.

 

Bored, Kyungsoo decides to play with him.

 

"What's your name?"

 

The guy looks slightly taken aback by the sudden enquiry before clearing his throat. "You can call me Sehun, sir." He adds the sir almost a millisecond later. Even Kyungsoo can tell he's feeling uncomfortable using the formalities with someone as young as him.

 

"Sehun," Kyungsoo starts, deciding to drop his plan of snooping around his father’s files for the day. "Take me to your dormitory."

 

-

 

lnsung initially considers relocating the servants' dorm in a whole separate building, but since the distance may interfere in cases of emergency or just urgency in general, the rooms are kept on the lower ground floor of the house. They were only recently renovated to provide more convenience for the servants. They especially made a room as a mini library for those who are still studying to study in peace when they’re off shift.

 

Kyungsoo has never been there, has never needed the reason to go all the way down there anyway, despite having lived just above for the entirety of his years. All he knows is that they have way too many maids and expects nothing less than a very cramped and crowded place.

 

Sehun leads them down the stairs wordlessly, though the tight expression on his facial features depicts some sort of anxiety. As they near the main doors, Sehun doesn’t immediately open them. Instead, he rests his hands on the handles before turning to Kyungsoo, who is waiting expectantly by his side, rocking on his heels.

 

"What's the matter?" The younger boy asks, only noticing the muffled noises coming from the other side of the doors.

 

"I think we may need a moment,” Sehun replies somewhat hesitantly, but still maintaining his well-trained professionalism. “ I doubt they were expecting a visit from anyone, especially not from you."

 

"Oh. Uh, sure? I'll let you guys clean up first?” Kyungsoo shrugs, not knowing what to tell Sehun since he truthfully doesn’t mind all that much. Kyungsoo comes here bearing no expectation, so.

 

“Thank you,” The servant says. Up until now, Kyungsoo doesn’t know what position does he hold, but if anything, serving his father must have meant that it’s quite high. Sehun pushes open the door enough for himself to squeeze in before closing it back, as if carefully avoiding their rooms from being unreadily exposed.

 

Kyungsoo notes the growing silence, before a sudden noise of movements spring about in the air. After at least half a minute, the room becomes gradually quiet again. Sehun cracks the door open.

 

“I believe we’re all decent. I’m sorry to have kept you waiting, sir. Please, do come in.” He opens the door wider and waits for Kyungsoo to walk in.

 

The dormitory, rather than looking like a hallway of doors as Kyungsoo’s seen on television, is really just an oversized hall with many rows of beds lining against the opposite walls that stretch out towards the other end of the large room. Immediately after each bed is a closet and a rack. Kyungsoo’s eyes are roaming the expanse of the hall, amazed that they have such a dormitory under their house.

 

But one thing that doesn't really appeal to him, is the reeking stench of men and sweat. He now brings his gaze to at least about 20 men standing stiffly by their own bed, and the entire scene awfully looks like some soldiers paying attention to their platoon leader. Kyungsoo wants to laugh, but instead, the many strangers in one room actually have the tendency to make Kyungsoo shrink in intimidation despite being the son of Do. Plus, the fact that his father is not here to make him feel safe (he is an only child after all), it is all the more reason for him to feel shy.

 

Not knowing how to approach them or even what to do, Kyungsoo slightly regrets having Sehun take him down here and subconsciously shifts to hide behind Sehun, tugging on the back of his suit somewhat shyly, feeling so out of place.

 

“T-Tell them to resume what they have been doing; I don't mean to disturb,” Kyungsoo mutters so that only Sehun can hear him.

 

Sehun tries to look behind him for the Do’s son, finding the younger boy seeking refuge from his tall figure. “Are you perhaps specifically looking for someone? If you’re looking for your personal servant Kim Jongin, I’m afraid his classes are yet to finish and his return can only be expected right before his next shift.”

 

At the information, Kyungsoo shoots him a small glare that somehow makes Sehun turn back to face the front, abashed. When Kyungsoo peeks from the taller man’s shoulder, all the eyes shift away from staring at him, making him feel uncomfortable at the supposed scrutiny. Perhaps everyone in the household knows that Kim Jongin serves him. Gossip spreads fast among the maids and servants, he reminds himself.

 

Sehun proceeds forward, feeling the back of his suit being pulled by the boy as he too follows suit. “Not all of the servants live here. The female dormitory is at the east wing. The senior ones, the ones who have served the Dos for more than 10 years have their own single rooms at the middle wing of this floor.”

 

Kyungsoo pretends he’s paying attention to what Sehun’s saying despite the eyes on him as he walks along, the material of Sehun’s suit underneath his hand wrinkling slightly.

 

Upon reaching the other end of the hall, Kyungsoo lets out a huge breath he doesn't know he’s been holding. Sehun then leads him to their supposed mini library, purposely skipping their washroom, Kyungsoo notices.

 

And just as its name, the library has several tables and some chairs, although in terms of resources, Kyungsoo can pretty much only see some rated magazines and a few adventure novels. Sehun tries very hard to deviate him from the place as soon as he spots them.

 

As they reach the dead end of the building, Sehun guides him back to the dormitory. Kyungsoo is told that there is an emergency door at the far end, but it only leads to their yard and Sehun insists it’s only appropriate that he goes through the main exit, which is literally the reverse of their journey.

 

So Kyungsoo has his hand on Sehun’s suit again, shuffling on his feet but this time, instead of awkward silence, some of the servants offer him a murmured greeting here and there, as if trying to appeal to the younger boy. Kyungsoo manages a tiny nod out of courtesy.

 

Nearing the main doors however, a set of footsteps can be heard approaching from the other side. Sehun is just about to reach for the handles when the doors open to reveal a casually smart dressed man with a backpack slung over a shoulder and a hand full of file folders.

 

“Oh, hey Sehun—” The voice is cut off as the owner raises an eyebrow at the many men standing by their bed. “Why are you guys standing like that?”

 

Just then, Kyungsoo pokes his head out of his hiding, and the boy is surprised himself at the sight of Jongin dressed in other than his working attire. His bangs are let down, he’s sporting a casual long-sleeved tee with a pair of skinny jeans. And he is definitely awed at how long his legs appear since the loose slacks do him no justice all this time.

 

In other words, Jongin looks astoundingly different this time, and Kyungsoo silently appreciates this visual, easy to the eyes but he’s not about to admit to that anytime soon.

 

“Oh, Kyungsoo,” The servant widens his eyes in surprise. Out of job habit, in front of the Do’s child, Jongin fixes his stance and stands with his back straight, intonation changing as his facial expression alters to match his professionalism. A polite smile naturally makes its way to his lips. “What a pleasant surprise. Did Sehun guide you here?”

 

And for some reason, Kyungsoo doesn't even realize the grip on Sehun’s suit has loosened up at that moment, stepping away from his refuge to face Jongin. “Y-Yeah.”

 

Sehun at the side nods Jongin’s way in a silent acknowledgement. He then turns to Kyungsoo. “Shall I lead the way to the main hall?”

 

Switching glances back and forth between Sehun and Jongin, Kyungsoo nods somewhat hesitantly before giving his attention to Jongin. He takes note of the stuff in his hand, looking like some lecture notes and a piece of scientific calculator. “Have some rest.” He says timidly.

 

There is a very miniscule moment in which the servant looks thrown off guard at the words coming from the younger boy, but it is shaken off as soon as it comes. Kyungsoo apparently notices this as Sehun starts to walk, passing by the still standing servant in the middle of the entrance.

 

-

 

As they reach the main living hall, Sehun bows courteously before shifting on his feet. Kyungsoo deep down somehow feels kind of bad for stealing his time even though Sehun is not assigned to attend to him, but is quick to decide that the man might have not minded too much.

 

“Is that him?”

 

Startled the crap out of his skin, Kyungsoo turns around and comes face to face with none other than his best friend, Baekhyun who has a tentative finger on his chin while exaggeratingly cocking an eyebrow.

 

“When the hell did you get here?” Kyungsoo hisses to him, a hand still clutching his chest to ease the rapid heartbeat due to the scare.

 

“I stole some snacks on the kitchen and even played with your dogs for a bit. I’d say quite a while.” Baekhyun says, checking off the things he did on his fingers. “Where have you been, though? I asked around but the maids had no idea.”

 

“I, um,” Kyungsoo starts off with jitter. It’s not like he can just outright say that he asked a servant to show him around their dormitory on impulse. Even he has no excuse for that. “I was showering.”

 

Baekhyun gives him the stink eye. “Oh and I’m sure you want to save up on the costs by re-wearing your school uniform at night. Sure, Kyungsoo. Try again.”

 

“I was just,” Kyungsoo starts again in a meek attempt at amending his answer. “Around.”

 

“You know you’re the worst liar ever when you’re around me.”

 

“I’m gonna head to my room now. Make yourself at home, Baek. Don’t find me.”

 

“And I’m your best friend ever.” Baekhyun retorts, his tone dripping with obvious sarcasm in hope to annoy the out of Kyungsoo. “Anyway, did your father leave his card with you? I was hoping to go find you something decent to wear tomorrow night.”

 

“I don’t remember having that plan.” Kyungsoo says absentmindedly.

 

“I’m gonna drag you to the mall tomorrow whether you like it or not. Oh, and we can also catch a movie.” Baekhyun gives him a cheeky smile while walking by Kyungsoo’s side.

 

“I don't remember having that plan either.”

 

“We can get those churros you love so much, too.”

 

“Sounds like a plan, then.”

 

Baekhyun grins victoriously.

 

-

 

“There are like, a thousand rooms in this house, Baek.”

 

“Oh, and what am I supposed to do with this information, hm?”

 

“Get your annoying out of my room and sleep somewhere else!” Kyungsoo proceeds to throw a pillow his way to which Baekhyun successfully catches it.

 

“Such violence. And to think that your best friend is helping you pick out a nice set of clothes to wear tomorrow.” Baekhyun tsks, shaking his head like a disappointed adult.

 

After having an impetuous dinner together, (it’s really just Baekhyun asking the name of every single manservant in this house as they pass by) his best friend is currently sitting on his study chair with his chest on the backrest.

 

“I’m only going since you’re treating me to churros.”

 

“I can’t believe churros won your heart rather than me treating you to it ever does.”

 

“Food triumphs best friend. Speaking of, I’m hungry,” Kyungsoo suddenly announces, getting off the bed and heads towards the intercom. After a push of the button, Kyungsoo waits until a static sound appears and there’s that familiar gruff voice.

 

“Yes, may I help you, Kyungsoo?”

 

Yet again, Kyungsoo is left with a tentative silence to ponder just what is it that he wants. Knowing that Baekhyun is in his room, he opts to make it less suspicious than it is.

 

“Uh,” Kyungsoo manages, again knowing that he’s taking way too much of a time thinking about what he wants.

 

“Dude, stop giving him anxiety and just tell him what you want to eat. Isn’t that what you were going to do?” Baekhyun yells from where he’s at, and in his periphery, Kyungsoo can see Baekhyun hopping onto the bed. “Or are you developing anxiety too now?”

 

Kyungsoo wants to strangle Baekhyun but at the same time he can’t just leave his call hanging.

 

Oh, that sounds like a good idea.

 

He promptly pushes the off button.

 

“I’m not hungry anymore.” He says somewhat monotonously. “My stomach’s playing with me.”

 

“Is that so?” Baekhyun says distractedly, typing something on his phone. He then pats the mattress beside him. “Come and cuddle with me, then.”

 

That little

 

“Since when have we ever cuddled together?” Kyungsoo almost picks that stray hanger from his towel rack. “I’m gonna be out in a bit. I have something to do. Don’t go all berserk looking for me or I’m gonna kick you out, you hear me?”

 

“Yes, mom.”

 

-

 

Acting skills aside, Kyungsoo’s just thankful that Baekhyun seems distracted enough to not see through his lies. He’s very much famished despite having already had dinner. Screw diet, Kyungsoo’s going to eat whatever he wants.

 

The house is quiet with all the servants and maids resting at their dormitory or out and about, leaving a dull atmosphere in the too large house. Kyungsoo traipses down the stairs hoping no one’s going to catch him that moment.

 

The household kitchen is located west to the main hall, with the dining hall immediately beside it medially, designed to cater to guests should there be any functions. It’s a journey in its own; strolling through the hallway, paintings upon paintings adorning the wall on one side and some large windows placed at intervals on another permitting the natural light to seep in, some decorations that Kyungsoo can’t quite put a name on at some nooks. Without all the noises of maids or servants buzzing around to find missing things or to head to where they’re supposed to be, it can get eerily quiet sometimes.

 

Personally, Kyungsoo doesn't usually go to the kitchen for late night snacks like he is now, but the situation (read: Baekhyun) calls for drastic measures. Of course he wouldn't actually mind the other boy knowing his eating habits; that’s the last thing on his mind.

 

But he does mind the person sending the food up to his room, though. Kyungsoo can only imagine being bombarded with questions upon questions from his nosy friend.

 

Kyungsoo heaves out a sigh at the sight of the fridge, almost making a run for it. The Do’s fridge will never run out of things for their staffs always make sure to stock it up. This is a very important clause, at least for the always hungry son.

 

It has always been milk and soft-baked cookies when it comes to late night cravings for Kyungsoo. There’s really no solid reason for it, it’s always what he sees first despite the many other food in there.

 

Taking out the carton of milk and grabbing the cookies from the island, Kyungsoo then pulls out a stool.

 

But he’s truly grateful for having placed the carton of milk on the counter first since the person that appears in the entrance of the kitchen apparently scares him out of his wits.

 

Looking like he is caught red-handed (in this case, it’s probably accurate), Kyungsoo’s eyes grow large at the sight of the man entering the area, having met with similar expression from the person too.

 

“I was under the impression that you might be hungry. I guess I was right.” It is the servant who speaks first, shooting him a small smile while heading towards the water dispenser.

 

Kyungsoo stares down at the cookies on the plate, feeling kind of bad for some reason. He then brings his gaze up to give a mild glare to the elder. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Assuming that the connection wasn’t good, I thought I should personally tend to you.”

 

“I disconnected the call if you hadn’t noticed.” Kyungsoo says, starting to grab the cookie with one hand and another fetching a glass from the side of the counter. “The connection was fine.”

 

Jongin hums, more in compliance rather than understanding. He then approaches the younger boy munching on the cookie, his cheeks full.

 

“You can go back to your room. I don't think I need your assistance for the night.” Kyungsoo dismisses him in hope to eat in peace.

 

“It’s fine, I’ll keep you company.” The servant offers.

 

“I’m not afraid of ghosts.”

 

“I never said you are.” Jongin smiles amusedly, taking a glass and filling it up with water before leaning against the counter.

 

Kyungsoo can’t help but notice something very off character about this man, although not necessarily in a bad way. The servant seems to be feeling playful judging from his quick and confident answers.

 

As the boy hangs his head down while chewing on the cookie, his eyes silently take in the appearance of the other male. Unlike the other night where Jongin made an effort of even wearing his attire while sending his late night snacks to Kyungsoo’s room, tonight however he is sporting none other than track pants and a plain white shirt. Kyungsoo wants to comment on it, but decides against it if ever for the sake of the man’s pride.

 

“I’m informed your friend is staying over, no?”

 

Such a rare occurrence, Kyungsoo thinks, he’s chatting up on me, isn’t he?

 

“Yeah, he’s upstairs.”

 

And that is when it reminds him.

 

With slight hesitation, Kyungsoo braves himself to voice out. “Jongin, I have a personal question.”

 

“Sure.” He nods, lowering the glass of water from his face in opt to show he’s paying attention.

 

“Are you aiming to work under my father’s company after you’ve finished studying? I mean, super personal but you don’t have to feel compelled to answer it. I’m not looking for a definite answer but I’m just, well, curious.”

 

There is a considerable silence following Kyungsoo’s words, and since Kyungsoo goes back to eating without looking up, he can’t tell how Jongin’s reacting to his enquiry.

 

“That is indeed very personal, but to satisfy you, I’ll just say that everything is still yet uncertain.”

 

(Translate : I’m considering it.)

 

Kyungsoo isn’t at all surprised by this. It’s been one of his father’s tactics to recruit skillful fresh faces while at the same time giving job opportunities to the graduates. Up until now, almost a quarter of his workers started off from serving at the household before getting a position in the company. Kyungsoo knows this because whenever his father holds a dinner party at the house, the boy recognizes some very familiar faces around the table, and some of them even offering him friendly greetings.

 

Kyungsoo doesn't immediately reply or even show a sign of acknowledging the answer, too absorbed in piecing a few puzzles together. For instance, there is that video of his mother’s fashion show.

 

“Why do you ask, though?” Jongin’s voice breaks the boy’s trance, and when Kyungsoo looks up, the servant has his eyes casted directly at him. For reasons unbeknownst to him, the gaze seems rather… intense. Not in a glaring kind of way, but just something akin to penetrating.

 

Quickly looking away from him, Kyungsoo gobbles up the remaining of his cookie, as if buying him more time before answering. “Just because.”

 

Jongin hums at this, bringing the rim of his glass to his lips. After a few moments, he speaks up again, his voice dropping a tone. “If I may, I, too have a personal question to ask of you.”

 

Kyungsoo hasn't even finished chewing his cookie to small pieces but he forces himself to swallow it all down just to stutter “O-Okay.”

 

“What do you personally think of me?”

 

It must have been Kyungsoo’s imagination because rather than sounding platonic, there seems to be an underlying tone to it that he can’t quite catch. So he perks up to see Jongin’s face, and the man is taking a sip of his water without taking his eyes off him.

 

Kyungsoo feels his cheeks grow warm and hastily looks back down at his glass of half-finished milk, his fingers gripping the sides of the glass.

 

“Think of it as you giving a feedback to how you like my service up until now.”

 

Of course he was talking about his service. What was Kyungsoo thinking? Okay, giving feedback, easy.

 

Except that Kyungsoo’s mind is very conveniently turning up blank right then. He continues to stare hard at his milk, as if an answer would suddenly magically appear in the white liquid. Squirming uncomfortably in his seat, he doesn't notice how much time has passed since he just sits there in silence.

 

“Kyungsoo?”

 

“Oh—” He jumps in his seat, breaking out of his overthinking phase. “Um, you’re good.” Kyungsoo blurts out.

 

“Good?”

 

“I mean, you’re doing your job well.” Well isn’t that easy. He promptly wonders why he found it so hard just a few seconds ago.

 

When some more moments pass with no words ringing in the air, Kyungsoo dares himself to turn and look at the elder.

 

There is a smile playing on his lips as he finishes the last drop of water, turning around to the sink and twisting the faucet open as he rinses his glass.

 

“I see.” Kyungsoo hears him say in the midst of the running water. “I’ll work harder, then.”

 

And somehow, those words don't seem as simple as they may sound. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-

A/N : Probably the longest chapter I’ve written in any fic of mine.

Anyway, how are my readers? Are you all good? I hope we kaisoo shippers are still okay. We’re gonna be fine.

As usual, college is my priority but trust me when I say there’s something about this story that keeps luring me into writing it, but never having the time to actually finish it. That’s why this took longer than before. And if you wonder, this is going to be a slow-build fic, if you can't already tell. Just bcos i love to explore the character development in this particular fic. Pls bear with me for a bit. <3

Sorry for any and all mistakes. OTL And sorry if i'm not good at replying comments. I know i ... But i do love reading what you think of this fic so far! <3

Subscriptions, comments and upvotes are most appreciated! See you soon!