Astound Me

The Servant [HIATUS]

Astound Me

 

 

Baekhyun has probably seen the worst in Kyungsoo, for he’s been his close friend for as long as he can remember. Since their fathers are considerably close acquaintances as well, it’s no doubt the sons would get along eventually.

 

As a child, Kyungsoo didn't like him straight away. Baekhyun came across as that annoying kid who always wanted to show his favourite toys to Kyungsoo, who was anything but interested. At one point, Kyungsoo became immune to his presence that he’d feel odd if he didn't at least hear Baekhyun’s chirpy voice beside him.

 

They gradually became closer as they entered middle school together, being put into the same class and having lunch together. Baekhyun’s also proud to say that he was the one who brought Kyungsoo out of the closet he never thought he was in.

 

Both of them even decided to enter the same high school in their neighbourhood instead of going into elite private schools of which were initially their fathers’ plan. At first, nobody in school knew of their family background until their homeroom teacher said something along the lines of receiving sponsors and fundings for their recent events held in campus. The sponsors turned out to be none other than Kyungsoo’s and Baekhyun’s old men, and that was how they came to receive a lot of unwanted attention from their peers, boys and girls alike, but mostly boys since they find it easier to approach them.

 

Which also led to the first bet ever placed in one of them.

 

In all honesty, Baekhyun never knew most of the basketball and rugby team representatives could be that low, and he felt so sorry to Kyungsoo for what they did to him. Kyungsoo might have looked like he wasn't affected, but Baekhyun knew how he liked to put up a tough façade almost if not all the time. He wouldn't know it if it wasn't for their first verbal fight ever… but Baekhyun preferred not to remember that.

 

So whenever it’s gym class, Baekhyun prefers to sit in the bleachers and reads the latest gossips on his phone. It’s not like Mr. Choi notices the slackers, too busy coaching the basketball team since he heard that they have an incoming game this week. He sometimes watches the mock game, his eyes swerving between the tall and lean figures of the players. He’s not ashamed to say he likes almost all of the players’ bodies, despite their trash personality.

 

But when his eyes land on a particular player doing an excellent 3-pointer, he automatically grimaces.

 

Park Chanyeol is most likely the next in their little list of ‘scoring it with Kyungsoo’, so he’s heard. This, however, doesn't sound like it’ll work, considering Jonghyun in the rugby team already opened Kyungsoo’s eyes not long ago.

 

The giant elf is making his way to the benches to retrieve his water tumbler, and Baekhyun hates how attractive the guy looks, with sweat rolling down the side of his neck and collarbones, drenching his jersey. He swears Chanyeol drinks his water open-mouthed on purpose to let it drip from his chin.

 

Baekhyun goes back to his phone when it vibrates, signaling a message from Jongdae. Ah, his lost twin. Baekhyun and Jongdae just has too much in common and only too much to talk about that their time spent together mostly filled with inside jokes and vague suggestive themes. Baekhyun kind of likes this guy, kind of wonders how far they can go without getting sick of each other.

 

Too busy typing a reply, Baekhyun hardly hears the warning coming from the middle of the court, therefore he only looks up just in time for something to hit him hard in the face and wipe out his vision.

 

-

 

Chanyeol hates his very life at the moment.

 

He is the ace player of their basketball team, shouldering the burden of taking opportunities to throw that ball into the net. With the constant pressure building up, it sort of channels to his physical strength in a way that even slamming the ball away from the opposite team, even for a mock game, would cause it to fly so high till it reaches the bleachers section.

 

And it just had to hit Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun a.k.a. Kyungsoo’s bestie. And for how small his figure is, it didn't come as a surprise when the boy passed out from the impact.

 

The nagging of Mr. Choi’s was what made Chanyeol begrudgingly carried him to the nurse, hating how heavy he weighed on his toned arms, but that’s probably because the entire situation just screams awkward and really just what Chanyeol never expects to come across.

 

Along the way, he silently hopes that Kyungsoo is not around to witness it all, or god knows how he’d react to his best friend getting hit in the face just because Chanyeol lost a bit of his coordination in the middle of the game. The hallway’s empty anyway since apart from their gym class, all classes are still going on as usual, the next bell would be ringing in less than half an hour.

 

With a fixed frown on his face, he makes his way to the infirmary, Baekhyun in his arms bridal style. He considered piggybacking him, but he didn't want blood to drip and stain his jersey, seeing as how the ball hit him hard enough for his nose to bleed. He’s on his way when he only just remembers that he could’ve stopped the bleeding if someone stuffed some tissue into his nose. Great.

 

Upon reaching the nurse’s room, he shifts the weight in his arms so the boy’s neck wouldn't be too strained, but honestly Chanyeol could care less. However, the shift causes the boy’s face to turn to his chest, his face dangerously close to Chanyeol that he can count his eyelashes. Chanyeol lightly notes the heavily lined eyes and the overall soft features of this boy that he never truly notices since he’s always running after the best friend.

 

He doesn't realize he’s been staring too long until the nurse asks him what brings him here.

 

Placing the boy on the nearest bed, guilt comes to him in slow waves as he watches the nurse clean his bleeding nose. He’s questioned for a bit, and Chanyeol has never felt bashful but he definitely does now when he admits that he’s the one that slams the ball too hard.

 

He’s just about to excuse himself when he hears an audible grunt coming from the bed. Baekhyun brings up a hand to his forehead, opening his eyes slowly to the surrounding. The nurse tells him not to remove the tissue from his nose until the bleeding truly stops, and the boy looks so confused that Chanyeol almost feels sorry for him.

 

Baekhyun notices Chanyeol in his periphery, and immediately glowers. Chanyeol decides that he doesn't like this expression on his face.

 

“What are you doing here?” Baekhyun sits up, his hand near his nose and mouth causing his voice to come out slightly muffled.

 

Chanyeol thinks it’s best to settle it there, so he squares up his shoulders and turns to face the bed. “The ball hit you in the face. I carried you here. That was my bad, so I’m sorry.” He hopes it sounded sincere, since he doesn't know how sincere works.

 

Baekhyun doesn't look too pleased. He keeps on fiddling with the tissue on his nose, pulling out to see how much it has bled before stuffing it back in.

 

“You did this?” Baekhyun throws him a judging look, and if he was with his friends, it wouldn't have intimidated him too much.

 

“Yes. I apologized, didn't I?”

 

“Is it broken? ‘Coz I swear to god if it is…” Baekhyun turns to the nurse, completely disregarding Chanyeol there. The nurse shakes her head and tells him it’s only bleeding because of the shock but the impact wasn't strong enough to damage the cartilage. She tells him to lie back down if he wants it to end soon.

 

Lying back on the bed, Baekhyun turns to look at Chanyeol who’s crossing his arms, looking rather impatient for a reason. “Where’s my phone?”

 

The taller male raises his eyebrows questioningly. “Your phone?”

 

“Yeah, my phone. I was messing around with it until your ball hit me.”

 

Chanyeol shrugs half-heartedly. “It’s probably still there.”

 

“You didn't take it with you when you brought me here?” He questions disbelievingly.

 

“How am I supposed to know if it fell or not? It’s not like I was watching you just to be aware of what you were doing.”

 

“Yeah, but that’s because you’re too busy watching Kyungsoo and trying to get in his pants.” Baekhyun blurts out of nowhere, and the nurse decides that her job ends there as she leaves them both in the room.

 

Ticked off, Chanyeol tries to maintain his composure as he calmly walks towards the bed, bending his torso and stretching out his arm to rest it beside Baekhyun’s head so he comes face to face with him.

 

“Is that a ing joke?” He growls through his set teeth.

 

Baekhyun doesn't look wavered in the slightest, continuing to twiddle with the tissue in his nose and subtly closes the lower part of his face as Chanyeol nears. “Right back at you, is Kyungsoo just a joke to you?”

 

“Kyungsoo’s got nothing to do with this. Why the hell do you keep dragging him?”

 

The close proximity starts to make Baekhyun feel uncomfortable, the taller’s breaths hitting his cheeks and he’s slightly grateful his nose is out of order at the moment because who knows how the strong scent of musk and sweat could affect him.

 

“He’s my friend.” He clears himself out, looking Chanyeol dead in the eye, who’s currently in lack of retaliation as he stays fairly quiet above him. “And get off of me.”

 

When a small hand pushes onto his chest, only then Chanyeol moves away.

 

-

 

The blabbering of Mrs. Han in front of the class seems to fall on dead ears for a certain raven-haired boy. In Kyungsoo’s head, he can’t stop picturing the face of a particular manservant that has been scouted recently. He’s got to give it to his father for hiring such a good-looking man in the household, but he guesses that’s as far as he knows about Jongin; a looker.

 

Since Jongin is assigned to mainly serve Kyungsoo (as per told by his father that he’ll ‘completely take over Mrs. Joo’s chore’), that means more time is dedicated to assist his lazy . Kyungsoo’s not sure how to perceive of it. Jongin himself is making him feel odd things in his stomach. What’s going to happen if he keeps showing up just as Kyungsoo opens his eyes in the morning?

 

He kind of wants to whine his way to his father to give Jongin other position in the house and has an old maid instead; but at the same time, he doesn't.

 

That morning, Kyungsoo didn't know why but he found it quite hard to get up. The triple knock and the clear ‘may I come in’ didn't immediately wake Kyungsoo up. So he was frankly taken by surprise when someone took off his cocoon of blankets from his body and the boy woke up just in time to stop the duvet from uncovering the lower half of his body since he sleeps pants-less.

 

He almost yelled at Jongin, but the guy just had to give him that dazzling smile. Kyungsoo thinks it’s a bit creepy how the guy seems like a try-hard at being polite and earnest doing his job, or maybe Jongin’s just really that genuine. Who knows. He’s never interacted with him outside his shift.

 

Which makes him wonder.

 

He wonders how his true colours are like when he’s not assigned to serve the son of Do, or any of the Do household members in general. Kyungsoo’s had his share of seeing the other maids and servants starting to show their real personality the longer they work there, since Mr. Do is nothing but a soft-hearted and family-oriented man who wants nothing but to see people who work under him enjoy doing their job. It’s a quality that Kyungsoo doesn't think he’d ever acquire, apart from the height genes.

 

He is snapped out of his reverie when Mrs. Han clears in front of his desk, taking note of the blank page in Kyungsoo’s notebook.

 

-

 

“Where's Baekhyun?”

 

Kyungsoo looks up from his phone when Minseok wonders aloud, joining the latter in the act of looking around the crowded cafeteria for any sign of his best friend. When it seems futile, he opens up his chat media and types a message to the missing boy.

 

The reply he gets is rather fast. Baekhyun’s probably playing with his phone right now.

 

Baekhyun~

im ugly rite now. can’t go to lunch

 

“He said he’s ugly right now.” Kyungsoo updates to Minseok who almost spews out his fried rice.

 

“What, is he having pimples breakout today?”

 

“Dunno.” Kyungsoo shrugs, asking Baekhyun what’s up and does he want them to bring him lunch to his class later as he spoons some rice to himself.

 

Baekhyun~

lunch sounds good. find me at the nurse later.

 

“He’s at the nurse?” Kyungsoo wonders out loud.

 

“Baekhyun’s at the nurse?” Minseok parrots him. “His pimples couldn't be that bad, could they?”

 

-

 

“Oh my god, you are ugly.”

 

—Is what comes out of Kyungsoo’s mouth first as both he and Minseok trudges their way to the infirmary.

 

“But definitely not with pimples.” Minseok adds.

 

“What happened to you?” Kyungsoo seats himself at the edge of the bed, staring at Baekhyun’s face, particularly his purple nose.

 

Baekhyun sports a pout, lightly brushing his fingers on the affected area. In his other hand, there’s a brown-stained crumpled tissue.

 

“Is that blood?” Kyungsoo points to the said object. “Baek, did you get yourself in a fight?”

 

Kyungsoo’s starting to sound like an angry mom and Baekhyun shakes his head dismissively. “I didn't and I’d never. This—” He points to his nose. “—is the result of your stalker’s doing.”

 

Kyungsoo takes a couple of seconds to process. “Chanyeol? Park Chanyeol did this to you?”

 

“More specifically, his ball.”

 

“His… what?”

 

“I mean,” Baekhyun rolls his eyes in agitation. “He slammed the ball too hard it flew off and hit me.”

 

“Oh.” Kyungsoo and Minseok says in unison.

 

“I wouldn't be surprised if that jerk didn't apologize to you.” Kyungsoo remarks.

 

“He did,” Baekhyun says. “And he even brought me here.”

 

“He did?” Minseok’s eyes widen comically.

 

“Must’ve been awkward to you.” Kyungsoo adds, scrunching up his nose.

 

“Trust me, it was.” Baekhyun rubs at his nose softly, taking out his phone to see his reflection. After their encounter, one of his classmates came to return his phone to him. “And now, I’m ugly.”

 

Minseok punches his fist in his other hand with determination. “I can kick his for you for making you ugly.”

 

“Minnie, sit down.” Kyungsoo orders before turning back to Baekhyun. “Well, at least he apologized, didn't he? I mean, it’s weird but at least we know he isn’t fully a monkey.”

 

“Yeah…” Baekhyun looks anywhere except Kyungsoo’s face, and this makes the latter squint in suspicion.

 

“Is there anything else you aren’t telling us, Baek?”

 

“Um,” Baekhyun looks down on the dried blood on his tissue. “I might or might not have mentioned about you…”

 

Me? What about me?”

 

“I kind of made him mad is all.” The boy bites his lip, mumbling.

 

“But what did you say about me that made him mad?”

 

Baekhyun sends him a nervous glance, before sighing in defeat. “I asked him if he takes you as a joke and he was sort of mad for mentioning you.”

 

The other boy surprises Baekhyun when he lets out a loud snort. “Let him be. I don't even care what he takes me as. It’s not like I’ll suddenly grow feelings on him. That guy’s trash.”

 

Baekhyun thinks of mentioning a certain someone’s name but considers it taboo at the last minute, so he shuts up. Instead, he looks at Kyungsoo in something akin to relief, scooting closer so he can pull him into a bear hug, to which the younger boy tries to resist.

 

“I hope you know I hate his guts.”

 

“Don't get all cheesy on me.” Kyungsoo pushes his face away when Baekhyun attempts to smooch him in the cheek, but ends up pressing the still bruising nose.

 

It turns into a mess of Baekhyun sputtering colourful profanities at the pain and Kyungsoo apologizing over and over again with Minseok cackling in the background.

 

-

 

Kyungsoo still gets messages from the annoying giant elf, and he does his best to ignore and delete all the messages from under his name. They just won’t stop flooding his inbox.

 

He really can't bring himself to care about Chanyeol. It was a one time thing, and it wasn't even his fault to begin with. Well, maybe, a bit. Kyungsoo’s definitely in the wrong for sneaking out of the house and even drank despite being a minor, which led to lust clouding his judgement. But that’s beside the point.

 

Chanyeol seems to believe he still stands a chance at winning Kyungsoo. Whether or not it comes from peer pressure, Kyungsoo doesn't like the guy anyway.

 

Giving up on revising Biology after the explosion of Chanyeol’s annoying messages, Kyungsoo turns on his laptop and clicks on the recent episode of the zombie hit series, tapping on pause to let it fully load while browsing around. He opens up his Google mail and checks that he has one unread mail with his mother’s name as the sender and a subject that literally denotes the date it was sent, which is today. His mother loves to send him mails like these just to update on how she’s been doing and all. She could’ve sent him chat messages but Do Hyojin loves to write an entire journal just for Kyungsoo to read.

 

Today is no different, though it has been a while since he received one. His mother is seemingly busy with her new clothing line and some couple of branches to be opened in the major cities and other work stuff Kyungsoo doesn't fully understand.

 

Partly curious and elated, Kyungsoo clicks on the said mail and there are a few paragraphs in the beginning, telling Kyungsoo how the spring there is beautiful and she’s gotten herself a Maltese because it gets lonely there in her shared apartment with her friend. She said she misses his son dearly and has been busy finishing up a Spring/Summer catalogue.

 

Attached to the mail are several photographs that his mother took as part of her hobby. Just before ending the mail, she includes a link, underlined and in blue font, saying that it is her latest clothing line and she should at least let Kyungsoo check it out.

 

So he clicks on the said link, and it directs him to a new tab. At first, it was all black, but then it quickly fades to white and there are a couple aesthetic elements opening up the video, accompanied by an upbeat music until the elements merge to display the name of Hyojin’s fashion line. Kyungsoo suddenly feels giddy at the prospect that his mother is the one behind all this.

 

A few seconds later, a platform appears and the first model starts the event, and the flashes are continuous all the way till she exits and is resumed by the next male model. The clothes look stunning on them, and Kyungsoo somehow feels proud of his mother.

 

Kyungsoo is bobbing his head to the music and admiring the material on the models until one particular model makes him do a double. Since the video is only centered on the apparels they’re wearing, it thus minimizes the focus on the models’ faces, only occasionally making a head-to-toe scan to shift the attention to the wonderful make-up complementing the fashion. And right now, the camera is angled at a distance that overlooks the whole figure as he struts down the runway, and Kyungsoo swears once he stops and poses, the angular jaw looks awfully familiar Kyungsoo doesn't even blink.

 

The rest of the video is a blur to him, and even once it ends with his mother bowing to the audience and smiling beautifully, Kyungsoo still can’t bring himself together.

 

It couldn't have been him… right?

 

He quickly plays the video again a few seconds before it ends, scanning the rolling credits for any familiar name, but finding none except for his mother’s name.

 

Swiftly, Kyungsoo opens a new tab and searches for his mother’s brand on Youtube, hoping to see similar videos showcasing new designs and whatnot.

 

He clicks on the first video, shortly taking note that it is dated around two years ago and mentally chanting that it’s impossible and it’s probably just him feeling jammed from the cookie binge eating right after dinner because that’s the logical thing to do.

 

Much to his horror, however, the same figure appears just a few seconds into the video, and right now Kyungsoo pretty much looks like he’s seen a ghost.

 

Because this time in the video, lighter make-up is applied to his face and Kyungsoo can definitely make the outline of his almond eyes and full lips pulled into a typical half-parted fashion in favor of looking natural on the runway but stunning all the same. His eyes look fierce and effortlessly seductive, a great contrast to Kyungsoo’s observation from the recent mornings.

 

Still in denial, Kyungsoo taps on another video from the designer brand dated half a year ago, and while fashion brands usually rotate models and Kyungsoo has half a mind thinking that it’s still impossible, that. Face. Still. Appears.

 

Feeling utterly defeated, Kyungsoo leans back against his chair, staring dumbly at the screen in front of him.

 

Kyungsoo must be crazy if the model in the videos is really Jongin.

 

-

 

It’s Friday, and the pre-weekend solemnity hits Kyungsoo hard that even though he’s already awake, the desire to stay in bed outmatches the need to go to school.

 

It's not just that, if Kyungsoo’s being truthful, he actually stayed up late into the night and replayed the videos over and over again, trying to piece it together if what he saw was not just his mind playing tricks on him.

 

In all of the videos, the credits didn't show any familiar name Kyungsoo hoped to find. Therefore, it’s safe to say that it was probably just his imagination.

 

As the signature triple knock fills the air, Kyungsoo’s heartbeat automatically takes up a pace, not knowing why it does that. The door opens, and firm steps grow louder as they enter the room and shuts the door.

 

“Good morning, Kyungsoo.”

 

Kyungsoo pulls down his covers from his head, spotting his servant standing readily and giving him that trademark smile before walking across the room to pull the curtains.

 

When he doesn't so much as make a whiny sound or reply with a hoarse ‘good morning’, Jongin pauses in his stride, his eyes showing slight concern as he eyes the boy on the bed.

 

Kyungsoo still doesn't say anything, instead he quietly studies Jongin’s face, from his feline eyes to the cleft chin and then his plush lips.

 

“Is there something on my face, Kyungsoo?” He asks, gentleness lacing his tone not wanting to scare the son of Do.

 

Blinking rapidly, Kyungsoo stutters a bit before going back into hiding under the covers.

 

Nah, it couldn’t have been him.

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

A/N : I’m truly sorry for the drastic change in my writing style. It’s been a long while and since I’ve been trying to update my other fics, my style seems to change along the way. But I hope my readers (yes, you) are able to catch up just fine.

As a side note, this is going to be side!baekyeol, in case you aren’t aware yet.

Sorry for any and all mistakes. OTL.

Subscribe and stay tuned for the next update! Upvotes and comments are highly appreciated!