Assist Me

The Servant [HIATUS]

 

 

Assist Me

 

It’s another day in the Do household and it isn’t common if it’s not started with the usual whines coming from the youngest member of the Do family.

 

“But it’s Sunday!”

 

“Yes, it is, Kyungsoo-sshi. It is Sunday and in an hour, your music teacher will arrive. You have to wash up and get dressed, young man.” The old lady, of whom Kyungsoo always refers to as Auntie, nags at him while her hands are keep busied with opening the curtains, picking up dirty laundry on the floor and throwing it into the basket.

 

With the cruel sunrays soaking in through the sheer translucent curtains, the boy has no choice but to turn away from the window and sit up. He groans, blowing his bangs away from his forehead.

 

“Auntie, it’s goddamn Sunday. What do people my age usually do on a Sunday?”

 

The 52 year-old Mrs. Joo tsked at him. “Language, young man. People your age should get lessons on etiquettes.”

 

Ugh.” He flops back down on the bed.

 

“Do Kyungsoo, would you get up now or would you want my wrinkly fingers on your ears and twist them—”

 

The boy hastily removes the covers and runs for the bathroom, but not before shouting “NOT MY EARS!”

 

Mrs. Joo shakes her head knowingly at the only son of Do, running into the bathroom with only his shirt barely covering his .

 

-

 

His music class starts at 11 and soon comes his friend who has been joining him since he first started picking up the violin at the tender age of 15. Even then, Kyungsoo has already mastered his piano skills.

 

Baekhyun bows politely to the lady that answered the door for him, a violin case held securely in his hand. He promptly makes his way to the kitchen as if it’s his own house, knowing that his friend would be there at this moment. The Byuns have a close fellowship with the Dos and he grew up to be the only best friend that Kyungsoo could ever wish for. When Kyungsoo expressed his interest on playing a violin, Baekhyun thought he should catch up on his personal skills too.

 

As he steps into the kitchen, he sees the boy stuffing himself with freshly baked muffins, the smell even enticing the newcomer. “Kyungie!”

 

“You are now banned from entering the Do kitchen unless you bow down and beg for forgiveness at the inappropriate nickname.” Kyungsoo points at him accusingly, cheeks full.

 

“Kyungie pie!” Baekhyun smooches him on the cheek anyway before grabbing a banana muffin from the plate and sitting down beside the younger.

 

Kyungsoo wipes his cheek angrily. “I hate you.”

 

Unff, muffins in the morning are just so good!” He moans in delight as he takes another bite. “You sure your family is not going to open a bakery with this?”

 

“We’ve got enough on our plate, thank you very much.” Kyungsoo wipes his mouth with a napkin after sipping down his milk. When he tries to get another bite of his own muffin, Baekhyun beats him to it, proceeding to sit back and enjoy Kyungsoo's scandalized expression.  “What the heck. Don't you know I hate sharing?"

 

“You do, indeed." Baekhyun nods to himself.  "You even ignored me for a week when I first took your crayon because I forgot to bring mine back when we were in elementary.”

 

Kyungsoo gasps dramatically. “You lost it! And it was my favourite colour!”

 

“Just one won’t kill.”

 

“I had to buy an entirely new set because of you.” Kyungsoo bites back, glaring holes at Baekhyun's skull.

 

“That’s not a problem for a Do like you.” Baekhyun remarks, jutting out his tongue at the younger.

 

The doorbell rings and soon comes their music teacher, the argument having to end with a glaring Kyungsoo and a little headlock until the yelps come out from the elder.

 

-

 

As soon as class ends, Kyungsoo practically skips down the hallway and squeals in glee when he can smell his favourite curry all the way from there. It’s lunchtime and after two hours of violin and vocal lessons, it’s no wonder his stomach is growling not so subtly. Baekhyun trails after him from behind after shaking hands with their teacher and bowing in gratitude.

 

As he marches towards the kitchen, Kyungsoo stops in his tracks as he sees multiple cars parked at the guest section through the big window. He doesn't remember the Do household having any events period, especially not on a quite Sunday afternoon. He makes a mental note to ask his father later.

 

Speaking of his father, he hasn’t seen him all day today, not even at late breakfast. He is supposed to give his father a morning kiss on the cheek as a daily greeting. Kyungsoo is much spoilt by him, what with being the only son there. His father, Do Insung, is a loving man and love meeting people not just for the sole of business purposes. He is overly friendly that way and more than often is taken advantage by people with ill means because of that.

 

Shrugging, he strolls along the hallway and into the dining hall where maids are busy setting up the table and putting various dishes on top of the red satin. He frowns. They don’t usually dine at the dining hall unless there are parties or family gatherings.

 

He approaches one of the maids. “Where’s daddy?”

 

The maid seems to be in a rush. “Ah, Kyungsoo-sshi. Your father might be in his study but I don’t advise you go there yet. The interview has yet to finish.”

 

“Interview?”

 

But before he could ask further, the maid is handed plates to put on the table, leaving Kyungsoo wondering on his own.

 

Baekhyun looks at the food in awe. “Wow, what’s going on? We’re not having lunch here, are we?”

 

“Beats me. I’m gonna go find my dad. You go ahead without me.”

 

“Kyungsoo--!” Baekhyun tries to reach out but the said boy sprints away from him. “Oh wow, way to ditch your best friend.”

 

He looks around before walking toward the other end of the dining hall and away from the beehive-like situation back there.

 

-

 

He knocks timidly on the wooden door, knowing other people are inside and Kyungsoo usually doesn’t like the idea of intruding but his curiosity is his next biggest thing beside his ego.

 

He peeks a little through the small crack. “Daddy?”

 

There he is, sitting on his big swivel chair, glasses perked on top of his nose as he looks up to see the comer. “Kyungsoo! What brings you here, son?”

 

As he opens the door wider, Kyungsoo notices that there are, in fact, many other faces of which he doesn't recognize at all. There’s a row of chairs against two walls, all vacated, probably waiting for their queue. They are all dressed smartly, clad in blazers and polished shoes while backs kept straight to avoid looking slouched. The men all turn curious eyes to see how the son of Do looks like.

 

Kyungsoo keeps his gaze down as he closes the door behind him, shuffling toward his father and tilting his cheek to be pecked while doing the same to his father. He doesn't notice the looks he gets from the men as he displays his affection to his father. It’s a common thing and he grows up being accustomed to it.

 

“This is my one and only son, Do Kyungsoo.” Kyungsoo bows slightly to acknowledge them all and turns eyes to the one man sitting in the single chair just two metres away from his father’s desk, probably being interviewed right before Kyungsoo came in. The man seems almost startled and quickly looks away from him. Kyungsoo snorts quietly.

 

“Soo, have you had lunch?”

 

“Not yet, daddy. I wanna have lunch with you.” Kyungsoo feigns cuteness in his tone. He knows his father always welcomes him no matter the situation. There was once a time when Kyungsoo cried at school because he had his first papercut and his father drove all the way from an important meeting just to pick him up.

 

His father laughs, eyes crinkled in merry and it reminds Kyungsoo that his father is only aging with time. “I’m sorry, son. But I’m going to have lunch with these lads so you can go on ahead with Baekhyun. Unless you want to join us?”

 

Kyungsoo scrunches his nose in distaste. He hates socializing and his father knows it too. “I guess I’ll go to Baekhyun. When will you be over with all this?”

 

“We have another session after lunch. You’ll be fine without me for the day, right Soo?”

 

“Fine.” Kyungsoo hugs him one last time before stepping out of the room. He doesn't think he can bear any more dirty looks he gets from them. He knows how people look at him sometime, it’s either he’s a good catch look or a spoilt brat one.

 

It doesn't mean he likes either of it. Not one bit.

 

-

 

When he arrives at the kitchen, the food is already set upon the large counter and Baekhyun sits on one of the stools looking at his phone. He’s been checking on his phone a lot lately.

 

“Did you start without me?”

 

Baekhyun almost jumps in surprise at the sudden voice. “I didn't hear you coming. And no. I’m dying of hunger waiting for you to come so we can start digging in.”

 

“Drama queen.”

 

“Said the boy who cried because he thought I ate his ice cream.”

 

“That’s ancient, Baek. I’m hungry.” He takes a plate and scoops some curry into it before dipping in some bread.

 

Baekhyun pockets his phone before taking a plate himself. “So, did you ask your dad what's going on? I heard there’s an interview. What’s it for?”

 

Staring blankly at Baekhyun, Kyungsoo slowly grins. The idea of asking his father about it totally slipped his mind. “I totally forgot. Ehhe~.”

 

“Don’t ehhe me, you brat.” Baekhyun sighes. “Anyway, I’m free for the day. You wanna do anything?”

 

Cheeks full, Kyungsoo stares off at the ceiling. “Xbox maybe?”

 

“You know what, forget I ever asked. I’m gonna need your help to catch up on Calculus.”

 

Kyungsoo groans in frustration.

 

-

 

That evening, the elder calls it quits on studying for the day and Kyungsoo drags him to the backyard to play with his golden retriever and sheepdog. The dogs were his seventeenth birthday gift from his father and even though Kyungsoo didn't like having pets at first, he warmed up to them in just a few weeks. And by warming up, it involves a lot of in the faces and tugging of his shorts to get his attention (what was his father thinking getting Kyungsoo some large dogs anyway?).

 

Knowing Kyungsoo, it’s only a matter of minutes before the boy gets tired after playing with the dogs, and Baekhyun’s right. He’s now lying on the grass under a shady tree, chest heaving up and down.

 

“This is kinda tiring.”

 

“Nah, you just have low stamina.”

 

“Excuse you, I jog everyday.” Kyungsoo looks at him pointedly.

 

Baekhyun scoffs. “How many minutes a day? Three?”

 

“I am a busy man.”

 

“Yeah, sure you are.” Baekhyun replies sarcastically.

 

Kyungsoo gets up on his elbows to take a glance at the guest parking, some cars are already moving away and the men shaking hands with each other before getting into their respective cars. “Do you think it’s over now?”

 

Following his gaze, Baekhyun shrugs. “Maybe?”

 

“I wonder why father’s doing this.”

 

“Do you think he’s hiring? You know, for the company.”

 

“I have zero idea until I ask him myself.” Surely if it’s for the company, his father wouldn't hold an interview at their mansion; should be a hotel or something.

 

-

 

With his stomach grumbling like crazy, he towels his hair dry and lets it hang around his shoulders before walking down the main stairs. Do Kyungsoo is always hungry.

 

His steps are haltered when he sees an unfamiliar figure sitting on one of the sofas in the living hall, seemingly waiting for someone. He looks young from Kyungsoo’s judgment; tanned skin, broad shoulders and brown-haired. Perhaps one of the interviewees from just now?

 

His father walks into the living hall, extending a hand to shake with the younger. Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow at the sight of a luggage and duffel bags at a corner of the room.

 

He tries to make silent steps but of course fate wouldn't have it on his side and he misses a step, falling onto the floor first while a hand gripping the railing for dear life. He lets out a small grunt.

 

The two figures turn to him.

 

“Soo! Are you coming down for dinner?”

 

He almost doesn't hear his father’s question for his eyes are kept locked with the other man. Both pairs of orbs are wide as they stare into each other, as if surprised for different reasons, until the man starts to chuckle at him and it takes a lot of effort for Kyungsoo not to blush.

 

He picks himself up before running to his father, burying his face in his chest as he hugs him to hide his embarrassed face, his father laughing at him.

 

“I’m sure you’ve heard of my son, Kyungsoo.”

 

“Of course, sir.” Kyungsoo takes note of the thick voice laced with a hint of amusement. He looks up from where he buried his face in his father’s chest, drinking in the sight of the sinfully attractive man in front of them. His sun-kissed skin matches well with the lush lips, which quirk upwards as he takes notice of the younger’s stare. Kyungsoo goes back to planting his fuming face in his father’s chest.

 

“Soo, this man is Kim Jongin, he will be a part of the household for now.”

 

Kyungsoo looks up. “What for?”

 

“I’m still discussing with my secretary regarding the positions. For now, he needs a place to stay. Be good to him.” His father wags a finger at him.

 

“I’m hungry.” The boy mumbles instead into Insung’s shirt.

 

Insung laughs before ruffling his damp hair and patting his back. “Go on ahead without me, Soo.”

 

-

 

Kyungsoo eats his pasta silently while watching the old lady rummaging and arranging the groceries and silverwares into different cabinets. She usually doesn't do all this on a Sunday night though.

 

“Is anything up, Auntie?”

 

Mrs. Joo turns around and arches her eyebrow as if it couldn't be more obvious. “I’m cleaning, Kyungsoo-sshi.”

 

“But tonight?”

 

Mrs. Joo only smiles longingly at him. To her, Kyungsoo is like her own son, she’s been there since forever. She trudges over to the boy and takes the towel, drying his hair albeit a bit too roughly but with sincere affection. The boy whines, his damp hair now sticking out at all places.

 

“You’ll be a good boy, right?”

 

Kyungsoo squints. “What are you saying? I’ve always been good.” The lady rolls her eyes.

 

Kyungsoo squirms and tries to pull away as Mrs. Joo plants smooches all over his face. “Auntie! I just washed my face!”

 

“That’s for being so smug, young man.” But she smiles nonetheless.

 

-

 

Kyungsoo’s phone falls down to the floor with a loud thud as his arm swings a bit too hard to put off the alarm. He groans tiredly.

 

He slowly blinks open his eyes to see the curtains have not yet been pulled to the side, the room remains dark as it is.

 

“Auntie?” His voice is slightly muffled under the covers but he knows Mrs. Joo can hear him just fine, if she’s outside the room that is. School doesn’t start until 8 so he’s got a little time to kill but he just sets his alarm a bit earlier in the event of oversleeping, but Mrs. Joo will always make sure that doesn't happen anyway.

 

“Mrs. Joo?”

 

Strange, she should be nagging at him by now. The room is eerily quiet without the usual sounds of curtains being opened or things being shoving back into its initial place.

 

Whining, he forces himself out of the bed and to the door. When he peeks out, the old lady isn’t anywhere in sight. He pouts.

 

Kyungsoo ends up taking a lazy shower and putting on clothes by himself.

 

-

 

“What is wrong with you?”

 

He sighes, letting his tie be knotted properly by Minseok. Kyungsoo really can’t imagine living life without his Auntie and now that she’s gone back to her hometown (he asked his father first thing in the morning looking like a mess but his father was too busy to notice his loose tie), it’s only a matter of time before a new one comes in.

 

Kyungsoo sighes again. “Minseok, how am I ever going to go for independence?”

 

“Hey, you don’t get a say in that. You can’t even do your own tie or your shoelaces. It’s a wonder you didn't trip at all when walking just now.” Minseok tugs at his red tie one last time before patting it done.

 

“Auntie went back to her hometown, Minseok. I had to pull the curtains by myself!” Pouting, he stomps on his feet like a child.

 

Minseok widens his eyes. “You mean Mrs. Joo?”

 

“If I don't get my next maid in three days, please take care of my dogs for me.”

 

“You’re exaggerating, Kyungsoo.” He lightly slaps him in the shoulder. Knowing Kyungsoo, people could teach him how to cook rice and he’d still sulk because he accidentally put too much water in it.

 

The raven-haired boy pulls out his phone, checking his reflection on the screen. He fixes his bangs and checks for pimples before slumping in his seat. Baekhyun’s not in the same class as him this year and although he felt a bit somber at first, his childhood friend Minseok transferred into his class. It has been years since they last talked to each other but he was the only person who approached him without abominable intentions. From that very moment, Kyungsoo decided that Kim Minseok is a keeper.

 

While Kyungsoo radiates the aura of don’t come near me, Minseok is much more open and friendly so he kind of feels bad for others not having enough moments to share with him because Kyungsoo is always stuck with him. Baekhyun’s a different case, though. Throw that flamboyant boy alone to an island and he’d have his ways with communicating with the apes.

 

To others, Kyungsoo is a prize worth catching, only if he’s not so hard to advance on. To Kyungsoo however, they are not worth his time at all, he doesn't even need to play hard to get. They’re just not in his league.

 

Glancing at the clock above the whiteboard, Kyungsoo feels himself getting annoyed. “Minseok, Luhan-hyung is kinda late?”

 

“It’s Mister Lu for you.” Someone clears his throat from behind them.

 

Kyungsoo snorts, watching in mild annoyance as the Beijing-born man strides from the back of the class all the way to the teacher’s desk, shooing students back to their own seats. Minseok giggles beside him. Luhan used to play soccer with them back when they were elementary schoolers. It feels weird to call him Mister when they casually addressed him as hyung ever since. When he heard that Luhan would be teaching at his school, he almost face palmed.

 

Oh, and as a side note, Minseok and Luhan is a thing, for how long already Kyungsoo doesn't know. Kyungsoo cringed the first time he heard it.

 

“Everyone back to your seats. Today, we’ll do a speed quiz!”

 

Kyungsoo resists the urge of taking off his shoe and aiming at the teacher’s smug face.

 

-

 

Kyungsoo is switching books in his locker when an arm slings around his tiny shoulder, causing him to drop the book from his hand. He looks down at the book judgingly, as if feeling betrayed it slipped from his hand, before directing his gaze to the person that caused it.

 

On the contrary, Chanyeol flashes his trademark toothy grin as he bends down to pick up the fallen book and grabs Kyungsoo’s hand before placing the book on top of it. His jet-black hair pushed up gives him a player-ish appeal. “I thought I told you to call me.”

 

“I never said I would.” Kyungsoo slams his locker door close and the ‘clang’ makes Chanyeol scrunch up his nose, amused.

 

The younger walks away from him, silently hoping the giant won’t bother him anymore but his prayers fall on dead ears.

 

“You know, I only stopped because you seemed to dread it halfway—”

 

The taller’s words are cut short when his collar is harshly grabbed by the shorter, causing him to bend down and meet with Kyungsoo’s fierce eyes. “Stop it. I was -faced.”

 

Chanyeol raises up his hands in mock defeat, but still putting on an amused grin. With a rather weak push, Kyungsoo turns to walk away.

 

“If you ever drop a party at your place again, call me!” Chanyeol calls out and Kyungsoo swears the next time he tries anything again, he’s going to cut off his balls and sell them in the black market.

 

“I won’t, ert.” He mutters under his breath. He curses parties. He curses Chanyeol. He curses his low alcohol tolerance.

 

-

 

All the pasta he’s been munching on during dinner with his father that night is starting to make him feel sleepy and fuzzy. Homework be damned, the bed looks so tempting right now.

 

Kyungsoo lazily flops himself onto the bed, scooting to get under the covers because the cold is starting to bite on his bare legs.

 

That night, Kyungsoo dreams of chocolate eyes and tanned skin, barely remembering who they belong to.

 

-

 

The triple muffled thuds jolt him awake. Kyungsoo mumbles incoherently in his pillow, groaning. He pulls the covers away from his face, the curtains are not yet pulled. Then he rolls over to face the other side, eyes squeezing shut. His mind is still tired and can barely registers his surroundings.

 

He flutters his eyes wide open when triple knocks land on his door again. In his hazy state of sleepiness and confusion, he remembers that Mrs. Joo doesn't usually knock.

 

“May I come in?”

 

Kyungsoo frowns at the deep, thick voice outside the room. That’s definitely not Mrs. Joo.

 

 

 


A/N : hAH. I have little to no knowledge about the servant system in a big mansion whatsoever, unless you count the ones you see on kdramas or animes. Yup. OTL

More kaisoo to come. This was pretty much an insight of how kyungsoo lives and whatnot.

...I hope you don't mind me using Insung as his father... /hides

Sorry for any and all mistakes! All feedbacks are much appreciated! :D