Of Updates and Invitation

Of Sincerity and Serendipity

AUTHORS NOTE: This chapter comes after what happened in my one-shot story "Of Cake, Album and Bouquet of Flowers". If you have not read that, please read it too, to understand this chapter better. Anddd, if you like this story, please upvote it! THANKS for all the LOVE!!

 

Now, enjoy! :) 

 


 

 

“Anneyong Haseyo!”

 

“Oppa, Anneyong Haseyo!”

 

“Ah Young-ah, how are you? I bet you are still busy? Ow, is it a good time to talk or are you busy doing something, somewhere?”

 

“Its ok, Oppa, I’m here at the dorm, done for the day. We don’t have a sked ‘tll afternoon tomorrow. Yup, Oppa, still busy. But, it will not be for long, since Hyeri and Minah will have their own projects, so they are going to cut short our promo period for the new album. I think will be done in a week or two. How about you, Jjong Oppa, how are you?”

 

“Well, I’ll be the one going to be busy in the next four weeks. I have another movie showing, so promotions will start this week.

 

“Ahh! Oh? Another movie?”

 

“De. Sooo, how are you doing? It’s been awhile since we’ve had a long talk, and been a while since we ate together. I hope you are still doing exercises, and keeping your promise to eat minimal amount of spicy food…”

 

“Oppa! Of course I am, keeping my promise and been doing exercise whenever I can.

Oh! And Thank you again for the delicious cake you gave to us, and the beautiful flowers you gave me! I really like it, Oppa!”

 

“Just checking that you never forget our resolution. I’m happy that you liked both of them! How’s your Omma and Appa? I hope they are still doing well?”

 

“They are good! Still the same way they are when you met them, hahaha! And, I don’t know if I already told you about this, but they do thank you for the complimentary ticket that you gave them for you movie. They said they really enjoyed watching it, they were really surprised how very good you are at comedy, when you don’t look like it! That’s word for word that Omma said. Well, you know her.”

 

“Hahaha! Glad to know I was able to surprise them, and they like it. At least they went and saw the movie! There’s this one girl I invited to the premiere, she used to be my wife, but, sad to say, I think up until now, she haven’t even seen the film.. Hmm..”

 

“Oppa! Cincha? How many times will I say sorry to you? I mixed up the date! I forgot that Korea is a day ahead! I thought I’ll be back here in Seoul a day ahead. I thought I’ll be able to make it, but then yeah, the date mix-up and on top of that, our flight got delayed. You’re still taking that against me?”

 

“Ah Young-Ah, I’m just joking! You know I love teasing you? Don’t tell me you are pouting now?”

 

“Cincha, Oppa! How do you know? Errm well, actually I was, almost pouting. But, oppa, I have a confession to make. I did not tell you this before, but I have already watched it. I actually watched it with my members, only I asked them not to tell you that I was with them. And it was really good, so funny and light! I really enjoyed it, for the most part. But, there were some scenes that I did not like, I went to the bathroom during ‘those parts’.. I’m just glad there’s only 2 of them.”

 

“Hahaha! You know that it’s just work!”

 

“Whatever.”

 

“Eh? Stop pouting, ok? I can imagine you now, hahaha!”

 

“Anniya! Tss!”

 

“Errrmm, Ah Young-ah, since we’re on the subject of premiere… I have another one coming…”

 

“De, Oppa?”

 

“Uhhm, I want to invite you again. But I don’t know the exact date yet and where it’s going to be held. If you are free on that day, will you come?”

 

“Is that the first one you filmed last year, Oppa, the one you filmed in a location famous for their kogi?”

 

“De, That’s the film.”

 

“Well of course I will, if my schedule permits! Just text me the details, when you know it, so I could tell our manager-oppa. Can my members come too?”

 

“Of course they are welcome to go, if they want to! Thank you for considering it, Ah Young-ah! It would mean a lot to me, if you can come.”

 

“Anything for you, Oppa!”

 

“So, I’ll hang-up now, it’s already late. You need to rest, I know you’re really tired. Drink milk so you can sleep better. Anneyong!! Let’s chat again when I see you at Inkigayo!”

 

“Ok Oppa, Good night! See you this Sunday! Anneyong! Sweet dreams!”


 

Sigh! Oppa. She uttered to herself with a smile.

 

They have been like that for the past four months. The first 2 months, they call each other at least once to twice a week, when their schedules allow it. But the last 2 months, they were only able to have long talks about 2-3 times a month, since she has been so busy preparing for Girls Day’s comeback, and he was out of the country most of the time. They  text or do little KakaoTalk chats, just to keep tab of each other. But it’s never enough. She really miss him. She misses doing things with him openly, having fun, like how they used to when they were still ‘virtual’ husband and wife. Now, the few times they met to have lunch and dinner, they have to do it secretly and discretely. When they had the sudden urge to meet at an ice cream parlor, they even have to pretend that it was a chance meeting, him with his manager-hyung, her with her Sojin-unnie.

 

Despite not being able to see each other as often as she would have liked, it helps that at least, they get to talk and keep in touch, whenever they have the time. They are getting to know each other more, and understand each other better. They talk about anything and everything under the sun, she can tell him anything, and he gladly listens. He has slowly opened up to her too. He gladly share anecdotes, without her coaxing him to do it. It helps that their interactions and conversations are not clouded anymore of self-consciousness, of the need to be entertaining, of the camera, and of editing. Its just the real, everyday, candid Jong Hyun and Ah Young, not the model/actor and idol. She has come to appreciate him more. He is really different from how the world sees him. The brick-wall personality that they have branded him with, there’s no trace of that in the him that she has come to know now. Yes, he still is blunt, honest, truthful, but these traits of his are what makes him different from some of the male idols that surrounds her world. Ah Young can vouch that whatever he says and do, its the truth.

 

Seeing him at Inkigayo 3 days ago, she can’t describe the feeling - overwhelmed, longing, joyful, confused. It’s going haywire, going to different directions. If she would just be honest to herself, she knows what it’s indicating, but she’s being stubborn about it. She does not want to name it. Just to keep her sanity, at least for awhile. To name what it is, would open up complexities, expectations, uncertainties. She's putting a lid to it, she's not ready to face those realities.


For now, all she wants to think about is if their agency would allow her to attend his premiere, if her schedule is free, and what dress to wear on such a special occasion. And maybe, just maybe, before she falls to sleep, she may allow herself to think of how handsome her Oppa is, and how bright his smile is, and how sweet he is to buy their album and bring them a cake, and how he looks like a dreamboy, when she saw him holding that bouquet of flowers.