Of Phone Calls and Dilemma

Of Sincerity and Serendipity

“Ok. I’ll see you tomorrow, Jong Hyunie! Don’t forget to set your alarm clock a little bit early, you have a photoshoot and interview for your film promotion early in the morning. Annyeong!” manager-hyung said, reminding him one last time as he goes inside the car. But his mind was still on the interview that happened just a while ago. He did it again, unconsciously saying her name again. He was already told by his company to lessen mentioning her name in interviews. He has to start promoting his movie with Jin Seyoun, and they should start “selling” their chemistry, for the movie outcomes’ sake. But, what can he do? It’s like automatic for him to say her name, whenever he was asked about his participation in We Got Married.

Jjong suddenly remembered something. He hurriedly went inside his villa. Took a fast shower and changed to comfortable clothes. Time to do his favorite routine. Reaching for his phone, he dialled her number.

Ring. Ring. Ring. Pick up please!

Jjong: Ah Youngah! Annyeong!                

Ah Young: Oy, oppa, annyeong!

Jjong: How was your day?            

Ah Young: Good. Tired. We had a long meeting discussing the concept of our comeback album.

Jjong: Ah. Good to know that. Ow, before I forget, Chukae! Heard the good news!

Congratulations on your PD Awards for your group! And your individual award from the Cable TV Awards.

Ah Young: Thanks, oopa! Ohh, you too, I know you are also one of the recipient! Chukae! So, we’ll see each other on March 13th?

Jjong: Actually, you’ll see me for both awards night. I am one of the presenter

for the PD Awards, too.

Ah Young: OW! Cincha, oopa? Yey! So, see you on the 12th and 13th? I really miss seeing you, oopa!

Jjong: Yup! Nado, I miss you too. I have to be somewhere after the PD awards, but I am free after the Cable Awards. Do you want to have late dinner with me? There’s this new Grill/Steak house that I want to try. Sung Joonie said its like

meat haven for those that love meats. I only know of one meat addict that would love to try that place, so want to come try it with me?

Ah Young: Wei? Are you talking about me, oopa? Haha! Well, I would love go with you there! I think I am also free for that evening but I’m not sure, I have to ask manager-oopa. I’ll text you as soon as I confirmed it.

Jjong: OK. See you! Annyeong! Go to sleep now! I will, too, its been a full day!        

Ah Young: Until the 12th. Take care always, oopa. Anyoung! Komawong!


He put down his phone with a wide grin on his face. It has been their routine, since they’ve ended their virtual marriage a month ago. They would always call each other, just to check how each one has been. When they were still filming together, they used to do it everyday, but now, specially him, he only gets to do it 2-3x a week. He would have love to go back to their earlier set-up, but his busy schedule wont allow it. He sure misses all the banterings and word puns that she loves to throw at him, just to get him be a little more crazier. He misses her very loud, but very genuine laugh. He can’t help but laugh along with her when she starts to do it. She is really one of a kind, a rare find in an industry full of pretentious people. She knows her strengths and weaknesses, but never would you catch her pretending to be otherwise. He can’t deny that she is someone special, his Ah Young-ah. If only he’s not how he is, he would just go for it, just confess what he feel. But, he is Jong-my way. He is cautious and careful, and honest, he contemplates and thinks deep. Traits that may seem positive, but, sometimes can be a disadvantage. He wants to be really sure that if they go to the next level in their relationship, it would be for the long time, done at the right time. So he's holding back, taking his own pace, careful not to put labels on their relationship. He wants to know her more, outside WGM, to be certain that whatever connection they have during the program, is the same outside of the program. He does not want to rush things, but he also knows that he can’t take too long, he may lose his opportunity. His Ah Young-Ah is a prime catch, and he is not the only fisherman in the sea. Such is his dilemma.