Chapter 6

A Chance To Love

Author POV

Its been more than 3 months since the incident happen and although you’re free from the abuse, the pain still haunts you till this day and every time you wake up with the fear that they’ll come knocking at the door to bring you “home”. Every now and then, you’ll get nightmares about what the abuse, your father taking his belt out and whipping you, without once caring about how you felt. And as your tears streamed down your cheeks, never once did they stop to ask if you’re okay or even cared.

Kris has always been by your side for the 3 months as he helped you get past the tough times. When you woke up in the middle of the night, screaming, he was the one who came to your side and calmed you down, hugging you back to sleep. Only when you were back in deep sleep would he leave your side.

“~~~ ah, have you thought of what you want to do now that you’re free?” Kris said to you one day.

“Umm I haven’t thought of it yet. Do… do… you need me to move out? I know I’ve overstayed my stay here but I.. I don’t know where to go or what else to do. I have no money and no qualifications. Just… just… give time to find a job please,” Ji Hyun said with pleading eyes.

“Oh no, no, no one is kicking you out of the house. I just don’t want you to feel like we’re keeping you cooped up here. You’re free to go wherever you want to. I just want you to know that,” Kris said as he placed his hands on Ji Hyun and looked into her eyes.

Bit by bit, Ji Hyun is finally understanding that not all parents are evil and out to abuse her. Of course Mrs Wu has been trying to build her relationship with Ji Hyun as she empathises with what Ji Hyun has been put through for the past 19 years of her life. She can’t bear the thought of the beatings that she suffered, the scars on her body are proof of the pain that she’s gone through.

Initially, it wasn’t easy, whenever she tried to get close to Ji Hyun, Ji Hyun would always attempt to kill herself or kill Mrs Wu. It got to the point that whenever that happened, she would immediately call Kris home as she knew that he was the only one who could calm her down. She thought of giving up on building a relationship with Ji Hyun but then realised that she must not give up but have more patience because 19 years of damage isn’t going to solve itself immediately. It takes time and patience and that’s exactly what she did.

“Ji Hyun ah, I realise that you like to watch a lot cooking shows,” Mrs Wu started to ask Ji Hyun one day.

“Do you like to cook?” Mrs Wu asked again when she saw that Ji Hyun wasn’t responding. She told herself to be patient and give Ji Hyun time.

She never stopped trying to get Ji Hyun to talk to her until one day Ji Hyun finally answered that she likes to cook since it’s the only thing that she has been doing for the last 9 years or so. She goes on, saying that cooking is her way of escaping reality and forgetting about all the pain and suffering that she experiences. Its the only indulgence that her parents did not take away from her.

"Why don't you cook something for yourself today? What is the one dish that you miss cooking and eating?" Mrs Wu asked as she immediately thought of an idea to get close to you.

Your POV

"Hmm what should I cook?" I wondered upon hearing Kris' mum's idea. 

A thought immediately came to mind and I knew in an instant what I was going to make. Although I have only tasted it once, I can distinctly remembered its aroma and my senses are tingling just thinking about the delicious dish I had in mind. Simple, but yet it holds one of the fondest and dearest memories to the 19 year old me.

Since I didn't know how to bake a cake, I slowly got the courage to ask Mrs Wu for her help on how to bake a cake. She was so kind and patient with me, she understood that I did not know the ingredients needed to make a cake and I don't even know how some of the tools work so she had to guide me step by step throughout the process. It was such a precious moment in my head as it felt like she was the mother I never had. 

At the end of the baking session, the kitchen was a mess but Mrs Wu and me laughed it all of as we were having a good time together. While the cake was in the oven, we were cleaning up the mess in the kitchen when she suddenly looked at me and said, "Ji Hyun ah, I really enjoyed my time together with you. I know it hasn't been easy for you to try to accept what's happening to you right now but I want you to know that no matter what happens, I'm not giving up on you, I'm going to try my best because with you being here, it feels as though I gained a daughter. I don't know if its the right time to tell you but I lost my daughter 5 years ago due to an accident. She got into a car accident and she immediately passed away," her eyes started to tear as she started telling me her story and my heart felt the pain that she was going through. 

Before I could say anything, she went on saying, "She was my only daughter and we were the best of friends. Now that she's gone, it feels as though part of my life is gone with her but when you came along, somehow it managed to slowly heal me from the pain from 5 years ago. We loved to bake together and we would do it almost every week. So us baking right now really brings back a lot of memories for me," she slowly started sobbing and wiping her tears away.

Although my heart ached along with her, I still couldn't envelope her in a hug like how I knew she wanted. I couldn't embrace her like the mother I never had and I couldn't let her into my heart right now. Someday, I hope I will because I can see how genuine she is in her eyes but I can't let someone in my life right now. I just can't....


Hello dear readers, I know its been so long and I'm so sorry for taking so long to update but I just want you to know that I appreciate you guys being patient with me and I will finish this story no matter what!! On a brighter note, I hope you liked ths story and please do feel free to comment and let me know your thoughts! ^_^