Chapter 23

Let Me Love You

She excused herself to the restroom while the other three at the table were discussing the wedding details. The dates, the venue, who to invite, which wedding planner to engage and all of those. She's the bride, shouldn't she feel excited and discuss what she wanted for a wedding? Her dream wedding. It's like one of the biggest events of her life but all she could feel was the heaviness of the engagement ring on her ring finger. Not just the physical weight of the ring itself, but also the responsibilities that followed. She was a little overwhelmed, to be honest.

As she washed her hands at the sink, she looked into the mirror and saw her own reflection. Her eyes no longer sparkled, she wasn't smiling, there was a slight frown on her face and she didn't look happy. Tears welled up in her eyes as she thought of how she had changed. It wasn't supposed to be like that. She grabbed some tissues and dabbed her eyes to prevent her makeup from running.

A woman came into the restroom and looked at her weirdly before she proceeded to one of the unoccupied cubicles. Tiffany quickly fixed herself and looked into the mirror to check that her appearance was decent before she quickened her pace to the door.

"Sorry," Tiffany apologized as she swung the door of the restroom open to reveal another person wanting to step in. She almost hit her as she opened the door too fast.

"It's okay," the lady gestured her to step out before she stepped in.

"Thanks."

The girl only smiled and went ahead to get into the restroom.

She went back to the table and Siwon told her softly that he saw Taeyeon. She wasn't sure what his purpose was to tell her that, but since his parents were here, she could only pretend it didn't affect her.

She scanned the room and her eyes lit up the moment she saw the person she had been missing for the past month. She could only see her side profile from where she was sitting but it was enough for Tiffany.

That pair of gentle eyes, the cute button nose, the enticing lips and the distinct jawline. Taeyeon was biting her lower lip, as if in a dilemma on what she should order as she flipped the menu. Is she alone? Should I go over to say hi? What if she doesn't want to see me?

She completely zoned out in the middle of the conversation the table was having and focused on Taeyeon. She could feel the end of her lips tugged upwards as Taeyeon bit on her thumb's fingernail. She remembered scolding the blonde for the bad habit but well, old habits die hard. Just then Taeyeon stopped biting on her nail and lowered her hand immediately. Wow, so now they're telepathic? She almost laughed at the thought. Telepathy, huh?

Her smile was wiped off her face when she saw another female take the seat across Taeyeon. She was here with another girl. The same girl she saw in the restroom. She had expected Taeyeon to dine with one of their friends or alone.

She didn't miss how the blonde smiled sweetly at the black-haired girl. They laughed and Tiffany was finally able to see the smile she missed. Even though they were seated far apart, she could almost hear Taeyeon's unique laughter from here.

She clenched her fists on her lap as she thought of how it used to be her sitting across Taeyeon. She used to be the reason for that smile and laugh. She used to smile like Taeyeon, her eyes disappearing into slits. She should be feeling glad Taeyeon moved on. This meant they could return to being friends, she could still see her, they could still hangout. But why did she feel like crying?

She tried to keep her face void of any emotions but almost cursed as the girl across leaned forward to pinch Taeyeon's cheeks. What was their relationship? Colleagues? Friends? Or were they on a date? She felt her heart sting as she thought of them as lovers. So this was it, huh? She'd get married to Siwon and Taeyeon had found her happiness. And as expected, it wasn't her.

Was this regret that she felt? Was it because they would never be the same anymore? Or because Taeyeon really moved on but she was still here, trapped between her fiancé and the woman who stole her heart, even after she made the decision to be Mrs. Choi?

What exactly did she want? She was in a mental turmoil. Today had been too eventful. Her feelings were overflowing and she felt drained. Right now she just wanted to go home.

 

---

 

"Tiffany, are you alright? You look pale. Are you not feeling well?" Mrs. Choi asked.

Siwon nudged her and she snapped out of her thoughts. "I beg your pardon?"

"Are you okay?"

"Oh, yeah, I am. Sorry I-I happen to see a friend of mine."

"You have a friend who's here? Let's go spread the good news!" Mrs. Choi exclaimed, but was stopped by Siwon just as she was about to stand up.

"Mom, let her tell her friends when they're all around lest they feel they have different treatment." It was just an excuse. He knew it'd be difficult for Tiffany to approach Taeyeon, judging by her expression whenever her eyes landed on the happily laughing duo seated right across the room.

He saw them walking in and scowled as they linked arms and were smiling sweetly at each other. He was a devoted Christian so he's against homouality. God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

He was not proud of it but he wanted Tiffany to see the real Taeyeon. She wasn't the person she thought she was. So he went ahead and told her Taeyeon was here. And from the look on his fiancée's face, she wasn't happy and he felt like his plan worked. She would finally believe him and stay away from Taeyeon.

"Oh, right, it's better to do it in one shot rather than telling them individually. That was silly of me. I'm just so happy and eager!"

"I think you both should go get checked. We want grandkids," he looked at his wife and the latter nodded enthusiastically. "So this would prevent us from any disappointment in future. Or if we need to prepare ourselves for anything-"

"Dad..."

"Okay, we will do it," Tiffany held onto Siwon's forearm to stop him from rejecting his dad's suggestion. She knew how much they wanted grandkids. Especially since he was their only child and they've always dreamt of a big family. Heck, she wanted kids of her own too.

And she couldn't handle another discussion of anything wedding or family related. She had reached her quota for today and probably the whole month. Her mood wasn't exactly wedding or family so for now all she could do was to agree with anything.

"But we're healthy! There's nothing wrong with us so why should we?"

"That's exactly my point. We've been living and eating healthily so there shouldn't be any problems. Let's just go for a checkup for their sake, okay?"

"Fine." Siwon huffed and sank into the chair.

"Whipped," his dad coughed out and the table erupted into laughter except for Tiffany. How she wished she was the one who's whipped.

 

---

 

"You really have to get rid of this bad habit of yours."

She heard the voice and immediately took her thumb out of to grin sheepishly. "So I've been told."

"Have you decided on what to have?" She asked after she sat down.

"Yeah, I have. I've already placed the order while you were away."

"Aww, that's so sweet of you." Suzy reached over to pinch her cheeks.

Taeyeon beamed. She liked it when Suzy appreciated the little things she did for her. Recently she started being bold and she would initiate skinship once in a while. It felt almost like the right time to ask her to be her girlfriend. But she couldn't when she still kept secrets from her. She wanted Suzy to have her heart, the whole of it, and not just bits and pieces.

Tiffany was her darkest secret and she wasn't sure how Suzy would react if she were to know. Although she did feel her heart flutter when they held hands, it was different than when she held Tiffany's. The intensity wasn't as high, and she didn't have the want to hold onto it forever. That brunette still had her heart.

"Psst, Taeyeon!" Suzy whispered.

"What?"

"Do you feel like we're being watched?" She continued in a soft volume.

Taeyeon burst out laughing and covered afterwards. "Yah! You've watched too much crime dramas," she paused. "Or are you secretly a drug dealer?"

Suzy reached over to smack her on the arm. "Shut up! I'm being serious here. I feel like someone is watching us."

"Uh..." Taeyeon looked around to scan her surroundings but found no one suspicious. "I don't think so. They look like they're enjoying their steak and I can't wait for mine."

"It's making me uncomfortable."

"Don't worry, I'm here. I can protect you."

And that shut Suzy up as she blushed. Taeyeon had this habit of saying sweet nothings in the middle of nowhere. Taeyeon held her hand on the table as they waited for their meal to be served. They talked and laughed, fully immersed in their own world.

 

---

 

Tiffany's breath caught in as she saw Taeyeon leaned forward to hold the lady's hand. They were talking and laughing and undeniably, it hurt Tiffany. It was taking everything in her to not run to the duo to separate them, or to run out of the restaurant. She was the one who let go of Taeyeon. She chose to not see her anymore. So why was she hurting?

"Siwon, I think it's better to bring Tiffany home. Look at her, she's getting paler." Mrs. Choi instructed as she raised her hand for the bill. "We'll get the bill. Your dad and I want to go get some stuff before heading home."

Siwon looked at Tiffany whose gaze was on the table and sighed. Maybe he shouldn't have told her Taeyeon was here. It was obviously affecting her.

"Alright, I'll bring her home. Call me when you're done? I'll come fetch you."

Mr. Choi waved his hand to dismiss him. "We'll go back on our own. Go take care of Tiffany."

"Sorry Uncle, Auntie, I'm not feeling well all of a sudden. Let's dine out again someday."

"Yah, we're going to be family soon. There's no need to apologize. Rest well, alright? We'll visit you again." Mrs. Choi gave her a hug and patted her back lightly.

 

---

 

Tiffany closed her eyes the moment she sat in the car. She was too exhausted and hoped that it would prevent Siwon from talking to her because right now, she's really not in the mood.

"What was that?"

"What?" She replied lazily.

"Shouldn't you feel shocked or angry? Why do you look like you're more depressed than anything?"

She opened her eyes to look at Siwon, her fiancé, and she felt disgusted. Was that why he told her Taeyeon was there? She had yet to tell him she knew how Taeyeon felt for her, so the only purpose he had was to make her fall out with her friend. Who was this guy she agreed to marry?

"I told you from the start that she's a lesbian. Did you see how the two of them behaved in that restaurant? Have they no shame? Why do you want to be friends with such a person like her?"

Tiffany felt her head throbbing and she was so close to slapping Siwon. As a Christian herself, she knew there were certain boundaries to keep. But he had crossed the line. It was not like Taeyeon could choose whom to fall in love with. It just happened. And what right did he have to discriminate?

"Do not speak of her like that," she said calmly. If he's smart enough he would've gotten the hint through her tone.

"Why do you keep defending her? Is there something going on that I don't know of?!" He raised his voice, annoyed that Tiffany couldn't understand why he was doing this. The way she reacted was like she knew and was fine with whatever that was going on.

"What are you trying to imply, Choi Siwon? Why do you always have to pick a fight? Can't you just let it be? So what if she's into girls? Why are you so bent on making her disappear from my life? What's in it for you?" She asked as she looked straight ahead.

"What's in it for me?"

"Yes. What's in it for you? Do you feel threatened? Are you afraid that I'll cheat on you with her? Is that why you're doing this to chase her out of my life?" Her voice cracked as she thought of her losing Taeyeon for real.

"Me? Afraid?" He scoffed. "Why would I be afraid? It's not like you'd fall for her. She's-"

"Stop the car."

"Yah, what are you-"

"I said stop the car!"

He drove the car to the right and parked at the sidewalk. She opened the door, stepped out and slammed the door shut with force. She had had enough. If she were to stay longer she would have let it slip that Siwon should be afraid because she fell for Taeyeon. He wasn't the only one in her heart.

"Where are you going?!" Siwon wound down the window and screamed.

She walked away without looking back. Enough was enough. She knew this argument would linger for days, weeks even, until he realize the mistake he had made. Never, ever, provoke an upset woman.

 

---

 

First of all, I'm not a Christian, but I've seen and heard such cases of discrimination. I also know some Christians who are accepting towards the LGBT. So I'm sorry if I offended any of you here. It wasn't my intention to do that. I just wanted to portray why Siwon was so against Taeyeon being in Tiffany's life. I don't wish to write in details about any religion but sad to say, that was the only reason I could come up with. I apologize if I made you uncomfortable.

And I don't usually update this frequently. But since I'm at it, might as well. I'll see you guys again soon, or maybe not so soon.

Thanks for all the comments and subs! ^^

-E