Broken Bows and Broken Bows

Ambiguity

 

I managed to escape English with only a few minor inconveniences: a death note from a fangirl, the finger from a fangirl, glares and envious looks from numerous fangirls, notably the Black Headed Wonder. And because of that, since I'm just weird like that, I left the room with a whopping, big grin on my face.

 

Jae was waiting for me outside, craning his neck over the looming crowd to spot me. I went to stand right beside him, waiting for him to notice my presence. But then deciding it would be cruel to allow him going on his fruitless search, I nudged him and waved a hand in front of his face, surprise clouding his features before his eyes widen infinitesimally. "Wow," he said, "you look beautiful." He paused, a look of panic suddenly flitting across his face. "Not that you don't normally, but more so 'cause of the dress and makeup and hair." He ran a hand nervously through his hair. "Um, I'm gonna stop talking now," he mumbled, and pointed down the hall, suggesting we head off to the music center.

 

"It's okay," I assured him, "I understand what you mean, and thanks."

 

He nodded, stealing a furtive look at me every now and then as we descended the steps.

 

My ears are instantly met by the rich sounds of a cello reverberating across the room. Seunghyun sat in the corner of the room, his hand completing a complex series of notes on the viola: a deft performance that can only be obtained through laborious hours of playing. As soon as his fingers have initiated the last note with a final pluck of the string, I clapped, surprised and partially moved at what he'd just done. I've never realized just how good he is, as the viola parts we have in our arsenal are simpler and less demanding than its other string counterparts.

 

Just like when Jae first acknowledged my presence, Seunghyun dithered for a moment, fumbling to place his bow and viola down. His eyebrows were drawn up in surprise and a small smile is stretching its way onto his lips as he came over towards us.

 

"That was pretty amazing Seunghyun," I congratulated, hoping to draw his attention back to his performance. I'm beginning to see this dress-thing as a bad idea. Nobody ever expected to see me in one since I vowed to desist from them until…forever.

 

He waved off the compliment, instead saying, "You look pretty amazing." I'm not sure how to respond to that, having never been met by so many compliments before. "Thanks," I mumbled. "Where's…"

 

I didn’t bother to voice my question because I heard the thump at the door, heard the "Yo guys", and knew that the two other members of our little group had finally arrived. "Little help?"

 

I opened the door, helping to maneuver the hefty case inside. Daesung panted behind it, wiping his hand across his sweaty brow. He casted a swift glance over his shoulder, then turned to face me with a frantic look. "Hurry, we need to shut the door before she comes."

 

I raised a quizzical eyebrow, complying nonetheless. "What have you done?" I asked.

 

He stalled for a moment, shoving his weight against the now closed door. "Oh, you look nice," he commended, trying to divert the subject matter at hand.

 

I folded my arms and gave him a hard look that speaks, tell me now or I'll kick your into the middle of next week.

 

He gulped. "I may have upset Bom a little. Well, actually, maybe a lot." He paused, putting an ear to the door and continued, "she'd just brought a new bow and she was excited to show me. I didn't see how it's my fault really, she was the one who put it in my hands."

 

Jae and Seunghyun came over to us now, a look of understanding dawning on their faces. I think I know where this is going, as well.

 

"I didn't mean to," Daesung continued, "one minute it was in my hands, the next it was on the floor, the neck of the bow broken." He shuddered. "I've never seen anyone that pissed off before. She started shouting and screaming, telling me I can’t buy her another bloody 1,000 dollar bow. I started running when she lunged for me." He looked at us pleadingly, "please don't let her hurt me. I'm too young to die by the hands of a sadistic violinist."

 

Jae shook his head in disbelief and said, "Dude, you're so dead. You know she's a black belt in Karate, right?"

 

Daesung's eyes bulged and I'm sure, if this were a cartoon, they would have just popped out. "Thanks for that, man," Daesung replied sarcastically, "you've made me feel loads better."

 

Seunghyun asked, "Can I have your cello after she kills you?"

 

"What would a viola player want with my cello? A viola uses a different key."

 

"I know," Seunghyun shrugged, "but I thought I could sell it on Ebay or something."

 

Before Daesung can protest, there's a loud thump against the door and a screaming Bom. "Kang Daesung, open this door now!"

 

Daesung struggled to hold the door back. Damn, Bom is strong.

 

"I'm really sorry," he pleaded, "have mercy, Bom."

 

The banging stopped. There's a moment of trepidation and apprehension before Bom shoved her entire weight against the door again, suddenly and unexpectedly, sending Daesung forward.

 

The three of us placed ourselves between them both, trying to futilely placate a rabid and manic Bom.

 

"I'm so sorry," Daesung apologized again. "I'll buy you a new one. Don't hurt me."

 

Bom glowered, fiercely shaking her head. "You're so lucky I'm in a generous mood, because you'd be so dead by now."

 

I tried and broke the tension with, "Shall we get playing then?"

 

Bom nodded tersely, her eyes still solely focused on Daesung. I sat at the piano while the others began taking their instruments out.

 

"If Daesung's going to be buying me a new bow," Bom began, "he's going to have to save up. Do we have any gigs or bookings planned?"

 

Jae brightened at this and proudly replied, "Actually, we do. Do you remember that dinner party we did last year, at Mulburry Hall? Well, they want us to play there again. That's next month. And then there's another dinner party two weeks after that, and then a wedding, and then I was thinking maybe we could try and promote orchestral instruments at a couple of schools. Sound good?"

 

"Really?" I asked, suddenly excited. I've never done anything like that before: paid for playing and doing something totally fun. What a way to earn a couple of bucks.

 

Jae nodded, smiling at my genuine enthusiasm.

 

"Hey, Jae?" Daesung called.

 

Jae failed to hear Daesung’s call, his eyes still remained solely focused on me. I feel heat enter my cheeks as I jerked my head to the side, indicating that he's wanted. "Daesung called you," I explained, giving a small smile.

 

"Oh." Jae suddenly jolted back, aware of Daesung and the others.

 

"Can you hold my cello for me while I tune it? My G is way out," Daesung said.

 

Jae reluctantly walked over and held the neck of the cello with his left hand. The large expansive cello case lied across a table. Jae rested his other hand on the bottom half of the cello's case, supporting himself as he takes the full weight of the cello. Daesung frowned, biting his lip as he turns the G's peg, plucking the note to establish how far he is from it being perfectly in tune. Later, Daesung told me that the string is old and perhaps he plucked the string a little too hard, because the next thing we know, the string snappped and Daesung jerked back, Jae releasing his grip on the cello and falling back. The top half of the cello's case snaps shut, the hand that had been resting against the bottom half of the case clamped in between both parts. The case has closed on his hand. Jae lets out a shrill cry, swearing profanities as he lifted the top half of the case upwards, pulling out his red and already swelling hand. 

 

Oh no.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

The verdict wasn't good. The doctor declared that Jae had fractured his hand and will not be able to play for at least another two months. We've been booked by several people and will have to cancel each and every one of them. Jae is our first violinist, and inadvertently the glue that holds our little group together. He brought us in on time in different sections of the music, dictated bowing, and is the most experienced of us all. We're devastated. Jae is absolutely distraught: no playing for that length of time will set him back big time. Practice and persistence with an instrument is vital if you are to succeed in performance. So, as I said, we are all devastated.

 

"I'm so sorry, man," Daesung said for the umpteenth time. He's certainly doing a lot of apologizing today.

 

Jae waved the apology off once again, his mouth drawn down and his eyes sad. "It was an accident. You couldn't have known the string was gonna snap like that. Just bad luck."

 

"I'll handle everything," Daesung continued, "explain to the people who've booked us what's happened."

 

Jae frowned. "Don't do that. You guys can still play, you just need someone to replace me."

 

"Yeah, right," Bom said sarcastically. "You're the best violinist at this college, I don't know anyone who plays even close to your ability. And there wouldn't be enough time to teach a newbie our pieces, either."

 

Jae shook his head. "There has to be someone. We can hold auditions."

 

I'm about to protest then because it still wouldn't be the same playing without him. We need him.

 

"There will be someone who can take my place for now. We can't cancel on them, the money's way too good," Jae continued.

 

We all give him a hard look, implying like we care.

 

He continued nonetheless. "Daesung needs the money to buy you a new bow, BOM," Jae said, looking pointedly at her. She shrugged and Daesung sighed. He then turned to Seunghyun and cajoled, "You need the money for that car you've been saving up for." I'm the last one he directed his convincing strategy on, and said, "You were really looking forward to performing, and seriously, wedding bookings pay really well. You'll need the money to fill that car up of yours."

 

He directed his attention to all of us then. "Plus the fact, I wouldn't want to cancel on some of these people. I can imagine the bride being a little like Godzilla if we were to cancel now."

 

I supposed he has us really: caught in the grasp of the persuasive hand he's dealt. It will only be for a short time, too, because in two months, we'll be able to perform together again, just in time for the Christmas performances.

 

But who will be our first violinist?

 

 

 

 

 

An extract from chapter 8 of Ambiguity

 

Naomi sighs in despair as she leans her elbows on the bar, her chin resting on her knuckles. It has been two weeks since her interview and she's heard zip…nada, from the university. With each day that past, the formidable monster of rejection nears ever closer, rendering her hopes of an offer as brittle and easily broken. Surely she would have heard from them by now if they were intent on offering her a place, right?

 

She glances at the clock for the umpteenth time that hour, her thoughts focusing back to another relentless question. Where is Ace? She feels partly relieved and saddened at his absence: two paradoxical emotions, with the latter she feels unable to explain. It's 6 o'clock now, his arrival always at 5 o'clock. She vaguely wonders whether he's tied up at work or sick. Maybe he has a girlfriend, and he's taking her out to some fancy, swanky restaurant. But, if that is the case, then why has he plagued her with his incessant requests to take her out to dinner all week?

 

She irritably shakes her head, trying to dispel such thoughts. She doesn't care whether he shows up or not.

 

"Naomi, can you come out here for a moment?" The request came from her manager, Bob Sherman, a man in his mid-40s with grey thinning hair that had receded entirely on top, a small outcrop circling either side of a wide forehead. He's overweight, quite substantially, a beer belly straining against a thick black belt. But although he appears somewhat rough and tough around the edges, he's a kind-hearted man, placid and patient: a father figure with whom she'd adopted after having begun working here four months prior.

 

Right now, he stands half in the kitchen, half behind the bar. His hand is outstretched, making a come here gesture. Naomi complies, eyebrows raised.

 

"We have a new chef. I need you to just give him a small tour, tell him where everything is and stuff," Bob explains. "He says he knows you, the new cook, I mean. He's a regular here."

 

They're walking towards the back of the kitchen where a tall, broad shouldered man is clad in a white apron, diligently prepares today's special: the Chilli Con Carne. The new chef hears their approach and looks up, his dark locks spilling into his eyes before he brushes them aside. He smiles when he sees her approach because he'd been so looking forward to this. She'll most likely grace him with a glare that could curdle milk, issue a sharp comment that would offend most, all save him, who'll smile and issue his own retort, enjoying every minute of their witty exchange.

 

Naomi's eyes lock on his and he grins at her. She scowls and his grin stretches even wider.

 

Boblooks between Ace and Naomi, confusion clouding his features before he asks, "You okay, Naomi?"

 

"I'm just peachy," she mumbles. "I take it you are our new chef?" She directs this question at Ace, who nods enthusiastically.

 

"Yeah, I am," Ace replies. "I guess we'll be seeing a lot more of each other."

 

She gives a tight smile. "I guess we will."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

 

Sorry for not updating for so long. TT_TT I promise, regular updates from now on... 

Thank you to new subscribers! Comment comment please! Me loves them!! ^_^

 

Shall update TOTL.....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...before the year ends. Bwahahaha I love you guys!