Birthdays and Bracelets

Ambiguity

 

 

Awesome banner by awesome unnie sillysera!!! Weee thank you!!! ^^

 



 

 

The week's rehearsals plough on with no words passing between Jiyong and I. But there's still a tense ambience lingering between us, and it's growing.

 

Seunghyun, thankfully, hasn't decided on spontaneously kissing me, as before. Although he does keep shooting me secret smiles, meeting me outside class, walking me to my car. I didn't discourage his efforts. I enjoyed his company, and he makes me laugh.

 

 


 

 

Friday came all too soon: the date of my 19th birthday. Oh man, I feel old.

 

"Dara!" Durami shouted. Her voice sounded far away as I stirred from my drowsy state, pulling my blankets over my head. There's a scuffle of running footsteps, and then someone's jumping on my bed, roughly shaking me. "Wake up!"

 

I groaned, and pushed my darling sister away.

 

"Durami, it's way too early," I complained. "Go away."

 

"But it's your birthday."

 

"All the more reason to allow me a lie in then."

 

"God, you're getting grumpy in your old age."

 

I slipped my pillow from under my head and threw it at her. She dodged it easily, laughing. "You youths have no respect for your elders anymore," I declared.

 

She threw the pillow right back, and it collided smack-bang with my face. Charming.

 

"Come on," she ordered. "There are cards and presents downstairs, and Mom's made you a special breakfast."

 

I perked up at the mention of breakfast and sit bolt upright, eyebrows raised. "Chocolate chip pancakes?" I inquired.

 

Durami sighed and rolled her eyes. "Well, of course."

 

I grinned. "In that case, I'm up."

 

She grabbed my hand then, yanking me up off the bed, and practically dragged me down the stairs.

 

Mom's sitting at the table, a steaming cup of coffee in her hands. She greeted me with a warm smile, pulling me into a tight hug once I reached her. "Happy birthday, sweetheart. You're growing up way too quickly."

 

I smiled back, embarrassed.

 

"Not quick enough," Durami remarked. "I need her to leave home so that I can get her room. Mine's way too small now."

 

I frowned. "Well, if you stopped buying so much junk, maybe there'd be more room."

 

She narrowed her eyes at me and I glared back, flipping her the bird once Mom left to grab the pancakes from the kitchen.

 

"Anyway,' Durami said, pushing a couple of cards and presents over towards me, "these are for you."

 

 

 


 

 

 

The morning's a blur of opening cards and presents, devouring pancakes and sipping juice. And then, just before I'm to set off for college, the postman arrived with a small package for me.

 

I tore it open quickly, not wanting to be late, and gaped, shocked and confused when I saw what's inside. It's my charm bracelet, the one I'd misplaced just over two weeks ago. I scourged for a note, but find none, and scrutinized the handwriting, but fail to recognize it. All that is there is my charm bracelet. Only, instead of its customary five charms, there are six. I it carefully, tracing the engraved heart that lies in the center of the silver circled charm.

 

How could it have gotten here? Who'd added that charm?

 

I'd asked several people in my classes as to whether they'd seen my bracelet the day after I'd lost it, but all had declared that they hadn't. I'd asked Bom, Daesung, Jae and Seunghyun as well, but they had all said, with regret, that they hadn't spotted it. I'd even went to the office, naively hoping someone had handed it in. But no. Nada. No one had seen it. But obviously, someone had found it and returned it. But who?

 

 

 


 

 

 

"Happy birthday!" Daesung shouted, as I entered the music room, sprinkling a handful of confetti over my head.

 

I laughed, tousling my hair to get rid of the sparkles and miniature 'happy birthday's'. "Thanks. But was that really necessary?" I asked, grinning.

 

"Oh, yeah," he replied, "Just like…" He paused, pointing towards the back of the room where a cake and presents sat. "…those are."

 

My grin stretched as I gave him a one-armed hug. "Thanks. Where are…"

 

"Surprise!" I jumped back, startled, as Bom, Seunghyun and Jae jumped out from behind the table.

 

"God," I said, my hand over my heart, "way to scare the birthday girl."

 

"As I said," Daesung remarksed, "it has to be done."

 

I mock glared at him and shake my head, amazed and touched by their actions.

 

"Happy birthday, Dara," Bom says, pulling me into a hug. I patted her on the back, disentangled myself from her arms, only to have another pair of arms encircle me, this time Seunghyun's.

 

"So," Daesung said, after I've finished hugging both Seunghyun and Jae, "we have birthday cake, cookies…"

 

"Cookies!" I interjected, rushing forward. "They're my all-time favourite."

 

Bom giggled, handing me the plate. "That's what Jiyong said. I think he made them himself, because he remarked how you perceived shop-brought cookies as totally inferior to homemade one's."

 

I nodded my head, agreeing, and mumbled as I chomped on a cookie, "It's true. Nothing beats homemade cookies." I swallowed. "Where is he?"

 

Jae shrugged, indifferent. "Don't know. He said he'd be back soon though."

 

 


 

 

"Hey Mom," I called once I entered the house, a bundle of cards, presents, and left over cake in my arms.

 

"Mom?" I shouted, once again, when I don't hear a reply.

 

I walked through the house, scouting rooms, until I spotted the open backdoor.

 

"Valencia,will you just take it," a deep, gravelly voice said. I froze, instantly recognizing the voice.

 

I gained mobility of my legs then, rushing outside. And when my eyes locked with Jungmin's, I glared, fixing him with the dirtiest look I can muster. Mom looked…annoyed, frustrated, her eyes continually narrowing at Jungmin. She wanted him gone, too.

 

"What are you doing here?" I demanded, my voice filled with venom.

 

"Happy birthday, Dara," he said.

 

I gave a sardonic smirk. "It was, until you reared your ugly face. But you didn't actually answer my question.  What are you doing here?"

 

"I wanted to give you your birthday present," he answered, unperturbed.

 

I scoffed, rolled my eyes, and cross my arms. "I don't want anything from you."

 

He began to frown. "I'm your father…"

 

"In blood, yes, but nothing more."

 

His eyes narrowed slightly, and he took a step closer towards me. I didn't move, intent on standing my ground. "I am your father, Dara. And I want to help you."

 

I gaped in disbelief, shaking my head. "Being there while I was growing up would have been a 'help'."

 

He ran a hand agitatedly through his remaining strands of grey hair. "But I wasn't, and I'm trying to make amends," he said.

 

"I don't want you to make amends. I want you to go away."

 

"Jungmin," mom interjected, "I really think you should leave. She made it clear last time that she wants nothing to do with you. You're causing more harm than good."

 

"I want to help her, Valencia. She has a bright future, I'm sure, and I want to assist her in any way possible."

 

I barked out a bitter laugh. "Leaving would make my future look a lot brighter," I remarked.

 

Jungmin glared, his patience, like an elastic band, having seemingly snapped. "I want to pay for your college tuition. I want to help you out financially."

 

I frowned, confused. "Why? You've paid your child support over the years. So why would I want anything more from you?"

 

He sighed. "I only want to help, Dara. If you won't let me be a part of your life, then I at least want to do something for you financially."

 

"Leaving me the hell alone would be something, and that wouldn't even cost you a dime," I remarked, snarky.

 

"Alright, Dara," he soothed. He held out a blue envelope to me, which I presume is a birthday card, most likely filled with some sentimental-crappy speech that embellishes how sorry he is.

 

I didn't take it, and the frown on his forehead became even more prominent. I wanted to tell him that frowning like that will do nothing for his mounting wrinkles, but refrained from doing so.

 

I shook my head in response to the card: No. Not now, not ever.

 

"I don't want anything from you," I said, "so go, please."

 

Jungmin turned to my mom then, his eyes pleading, desperate.

 

"She's an adult, Jungmin," mom said, "and she's made up her mind. I'm not going to try and change her decision."

 

I erased all emotions form my face then, fix in place the impassive mask, and waited to hear his retreating footsteps. He did so slowly, placing the card on the floor, leaving it there for me to do with it as I please.

 

"I hope you change your mind, Dara," he said. "I love you, don't ever forget that."

 

 


 

 

It's Saturday, the day of our wedding gig, and we are dressed to impress. Both Daesung and Seunghyun look positively pristine in their smart, black suits. And once again, I've been conned into a simple black dress and flats. Bom, likewise, wears a similar ensemble to me, only just not as grudgingly.

 

"Will you stop fidgeting?" Bom scolded, as I tried, once again, to pull my dress down lower.

 

"It's too short," I complained.

 

"Too short? It comes just above your knee."

 

I shrugged, looking somewhat sheepish. What can I say? I just don't like dresses.

 

I noticed Jiyong staring at me, his eyes glistening with that same indiscernible emotion I've caught him with before. How could I have ever thought that was love?

 

But when he realized he'd caught my attention and I've spotted his stare, he looked away and bit his lip. I had a hard time prying my eyes from his form then, because he looked good – real good, in a black, dress jacket that's been left open. A grey shirt is underneath that, with no tie, the first two buttons left open.

 

"Is there any birthday cake left over from yesterday?" Daesung asked, referring to the cake he had made for me.

 

I gave a short burst of laughter. "Of course not. It was way too yummy. As soon as I got home, I devoured it with my mom and sister. They both say compliments to the chef, by the way."

 

He smiled. "Good. So you had a good day then?"

 

I forced a smile then, my mind veering back to Jungmin and his unexpected arrival. "Yeah," I said, "it was good."

 

Jiyong's head snapped towards me, his eyebrows raised. Did he detect the forced optimism in my tone? He's always had a way of reading me, knowing when I'm fibbing, but I thought I'd concealed that little untruth pretty well.

 

"Are we all ready to play?" Bom asked, propping her violin on her chin. She watched as the first few guests begin to arrive for the service, all dressed in their best: suits and dresses, a few elder females wearing bright, big hats, also. The hall is big, spacious, and by far the biggest venue we've ever played in. Streamers litter the hall in a mad rush of party fever. Flowers are dotted everywhere: in great vases propped up beside tables and in corners, and then a single, red rose slipped into a slim vase on every circular dining table.

 

We're tucked away in a corner, the piano and I positioned to the side of the four string players: Jiyong, Bom, Seunghyun and Daesung.

 

"I'm ready to play," Daesung said, enthusiastic as ever. "Let's rock."

 

 


 

 

I sat at the piano, watching the couples that litter the dance floor sway with the music. The married couple has also hired a professional band for their big day, leaving us to just sit back and enjoy while they provide the entertainment.

 

Daesung, however, suddenly became restless and wanted to dance. Bom is adamant that she can't dance though, and Daesung declared he can't dance with either Seunghyun or Jiyong because it would just look wrong. So that leaves me. I gave an exaggerated sigh, "If I must. But be warned, I will most definitely stand on your toes." Inwardly I'm partially glad, because I hoped concentrating on my co-ordination will push back the thoughts of Jungmin and the blue envelope that's still sitting on my dressing table.

 

He grinned, excited, and pulled me over to the dance floor. The song's upbeat, so we swayed and moved in time quickly with the music, laughing all the while as Daesung began deploying some of his 'funky' moves.

 

The next song's mood changes drastically. It's slow, and involved me linking my arms around Daesung. This doesn't really bother me, as he soon began making gagging faces as he watched the dancing couples all making goo-goo eyes at each other.

 

There's a tap on my shoulder suddenly, and Seunghyun asked if he can cut in. I almost didn't want Daesung to go, but how can I stop him when he declared I'd stepped on his feet too many times and needed to rest them (jerk)? He pulled me closer than Daesung had, so much so that I can easily discern the light flecks of browns in his eyes. He smiled at me, "You look beautiful."

 

"Thanks," I mumbled, embarrassed.

 

Please don't kiss me please don't kiss me...

 

"I think we played really well," Seunghyun remarked. "I don't know how your fingers can fly so quickly across those piano keys. It's amazing."

 

I smiled. "Practice. It's no different than your fingers shifting up and down the viola."

 

He shrugged. "I suppose, but you make it look so graceful and effortless…"

 

"Mind if I cut in…" a deep voice inquired. Jiyong stood just behind Seunghyun, his arms crossed tightly. His jaw was also clenched, and there's an imperceptible tightening of skin around his eyes.

 

"I've only just begun dancing with, Dara," Seunghyun said.

 

"This is your second song," Jiyong stated, his voice a dull monotone, "and I need to talk to her about some English work."

 

"Can't it wait?"

 

"No."

 

Seunghyun sighed and grudgingly relinquished his hold on me. I frowned and complained, "Don't I get a say in this?" But Seunghyun's already walked off, situating himself back at our table.

 

Jiyong's arms are held out expectantly, waiting for me to link my arms around his neck. I didn't, however, and remained stubborn, provoking an aggravated sigh to hiss from out of his mouth. Well, it's tough because there is no way that I'm…

 

Forcefully, and yet still gentle, Jiyong positioned my arms around his neck, while his loop around my waist. I remained immobile and just glared at him, hoping he'll take the hint that I'm hating this.

 

"What are you doing, Jiyong?" I hissed.

 

"Dancing?"

 

I glared.

 

"Or trying to," he continued, "but you're not exactly moving."

 

I frowned. It's almost like our usual bicker and banter routine, only, I knew that things can never revert back to how they were before. Too much has happened.

 

He pulled me closer, his arms tightening their hold on me. My breath hitched and my heart skipped a beat. I hadn't anticipated the move, to feel his body pressed firmly against mine, to find our noses mere inches apart.

 

"What do you want?" I asked, my voice small. Inwardly, I hated how weak and pathetic I sounded, because it just gave the impression that he still has a hold on me.

 

"To talk," he replied.

 

I frowned. "I said all I wanted to the last time we spoke. There's nothing left to say."

 

"There's something wrong with you," he said.

 

I scoffed. "There's something wrong with you."

 

"No," he said, shaking his head. "There's something bothering you, I mean." I didn't bother disagreeing, because he's right, of course. Throughout the evening my mind has sporadically flitted back to Jungmin and that unopened, blue birthday card. A part of me wanted to open it and see what he's written inside, while another part of me wanted to rip it up and throw it away, proving to myself that I couldn't give a damn about Jungmin and his lousy feelings. I'd noticed Jiyong's frequent glances at me throughout the evening, his eyes asking the question: What's wrong? But I wasn't willing to divulge any of that information, not now, and definitely not to him.

 

"There's something bothering you," I retorted. "Seungri's worried about you."

 

Surprise flashed in his eyes for a moment before being consumed by the impervious mask. "He mentioned he'd spoken to you," Jiyong said tightly. "What did he say?"

 

"That he knows something's upsetting you."

 

"Well, our father's left us and our mother is a drunk. Seungri's being bullied, and the school can't even kick the bastard out. Want to take your pick as to which one I'm most annoyed at?"

 

My frown softened. "Well, whatever it is, you need to talk to him. He's really worried, Jiyong. He said even Deukkie and Dami have picked up on there being something wrong."

 

Concern began to collect in his eyes as his hold on me tightens.

 

"Don't shut them out, Jiyong," I said.

 

He nodded tightly.

 

"If you can't talk to me," I continued, "then you need to talk to someone else."

 

"That's not necessary," he denounced, "I can handle this on my own."

 

"You're not superman," I reminded him softly, "You're college work has even been affected because of what's been going on. If you'd have just explained to Mr. Yang…"

 

"And have him asking questions?" Jiyong interjected. "I don't think so." He took a deep breath. "Look, I have everything back on track. My college work's improving, and I've finally got enough money to afford driving lessons and a car. Soon I won't be a part of the quintet, so I'll have more time." He scrutinized my expression carefully, his eyes bearing into mine. "I'll have less distractions."

 

His eyes flitted to the side then, where my arms were draped around his neck. He noticed the charm bracelet that has slipped lower down my arm. His lips quirked into a small smile, and he remarked, "You got your bracelet back alright then."

 

 



 

 

Hi!! ^^ I updated this chapter last time already but I think it got deleted after the whole "OMG AFF is not working, WHY!!!" fiasco. So yeah, I'm re-posting it. ^_^ Hi everyone!! <3

Btw, anyone here reading Flowers From Heaven? You guys...... don't hate me on FFH's next update. Hahahahahah :P