New Acquaintances

Ambiguity

 

Hi! Another introductory chapter! Enjoy!



 

 

 

Ambiguity: Extract from Chapter 1

 

"Hey, can I get served?"

 

Naomi turns round from wiping the shelves and walks towards the young man who has called her. He gives her a dazzling smile, and she idly wonders why his type would ever succumb to a place like this: a grotty pub on a grotty street, with even grottier customers. All save him, of course, who is positively pristine in an immaculate grey suit. He's handsome with dark hair and even darker eyes, easily attracting the attention of the middle-aged women settled in the booths, their partners scowling at the competition.

 

He orders a pint of Carling and asks, "No Beth today?"

 

She doesn't look up from pulling the pint, intent on not making any mistakes and making a fool of herself. "She left," she reports.

 

"Oh." He retrieves his pint and hands Naomi his money. "Well, I haven't been in here for a while. But if you'll be attending the bar from now on, I'll definitely make it a priority to come in here more often."

 

She inwardly rolls her eyes, using all of her self-control to not verbally snap and jab at him. What a…

 

"My name's Ace," he tells her.

 

She nods, not reciprocating her own name, and turns her attention to the dust smothered shelves behind her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I yawned, stretching my thin legs out in front of me. I shouldn't have been tired, it was what…6 o'clock? I hadn't seen Jiyong since our earlier encounter and that was just fine with me. The less I see of him, the better.

 

I'd just spent the last half hour reading our assigned book, Ambiguity. There have been no puke-your-guts-out scenes so far, but I still have a feeling it's going to be one of those stereotypical romance novels. Chapter 1 is just introduction time: Naomi, the female protagonist, has just encountered the total sleeve ball, Ace. I feel sorry for her, really. First day on the job, trying to save up to go to College, and she encounters that. Life just ain't fair.

 

"Dara? Dinner's ready," my mom hollered from the bottom of the stairs.

 

I slipped a scrap of paper in the book to mark my place and charged down the stairs. You would too if your mom makes the best food. Ever. And tonight, it's Japanese.

 

Mom and my sister, Durami, were already seated at the table when I slid to a halt in the doorway. You can tell that they are related straight away. Tanned skin, dark hair and dark eyes, the same bone structure. And then there's me, the black sheet, somewhat, with brown hair intermingled with a few a natural highlights, pale skin, and, according to Durami, chocolate-colored eyes. Unfortunately, I'd taken after Jungmin for most of my physical attributes.

 

"Finally, you graced us with your presence," Durami quipped, spooning sauce onto her plate. I grinned, she's getting more and more like me every day. I am so proud.

 

"Oh Durami, I hadn't realized you'd missed me so much," I said.

 

"Terribly!" she squeaked.

 

I rolled my eyes and settled in beside her.

 

"What have you been doing, Dara?"

 

"Reading," I mumbled through a mouthful of food. "Mmmm, this is good. Pass the sauce?"

 

My mom passed me the bowl and I swallowed, "Been given this book called Ambiguity. Some romance-crap."

 

Durami shook her head. "Romance novels are not crap. You read way too much Stephen King – you need to get in the real world."

 

"I am! What proof do you have to say that Ghosts and Psychics don't exist, huh?" Oh, I so had her there.

 

"There's more chance of you finding love than finding a ghost," Durami reasoned. She paused, "No, I'm wrong," she continued. "For you to find love, you'd actually have to stop scaring the male population. I don't see that happening in the near future, so continue being a Ghostbuster."

 

I gaped, about to protest, when Mom asked, "Did you get time to explore the campus? Did you make any new friends?"

 

I smiled. "Actually…"

 

 

 

 

After walking the length and breadth of the campus, I'd settled on taking refuge in the music department. My bus wouldn't be coming for another half hour. I'd deliberately gone to a college that would allow me to live at home.

 

Melodic phrases had met my ears as soon as I'd entered the room. A sole violin had begun, its notes, long and flowing. A second violin joined in then, its notes clipped in a staccato-like fashion. It was a total contrast to the first, and yet complimentary all the same. And then a viola and cello had added further layers to the piece. A smile had stretched its way onto my face because I'd missed the sound of orchestral playing. I'm a pianist, and had played in my school's orchestra until the numbers had dwindled to so few that we'd been subjected to end it. I don't think you could constitute a cello, a violin, a flute, a guitar (who refused to play anything but rock) and a pianist (me), as much of an orchestra though.

 

As soon as they'd finished the Concerto, they'd focused their attention on me.I hadn't realized they'd noticed my being there. I thought I'd slipped in totally unnoticed, having not wanted to disturb them. I'm pretty sure my cheeks had been a flaming red.

 

"Annyeong," I'd began, "that was great! Bach right?"

 

The boy who played first had nodded and stood up, tentatively placing his violin on the chair. He was tall, almost as tall as Jiyong, and had chestnut-colored hair that he'd brushed back from off his forehead. He had strong features and a nice smile as he stuck his hand out for me to shake.

 

"Impressive. I'm Jaejoong. Do you play?"

 

"Dara," I'd introduced. "I'm a pianist, but my younger sister plays the violin."

 

"Cool. Mind if I ask how good you are?"

 

I'd shrugged. I'd been told I was good and had even won some competitions. But what they'd just done? Now that was good. "I have a diploma," I'd admitted, "but I achieved that a couple of years ago. My playing regime has slipped somewhat since then. School got in the way – too much homework, and I'd decided not to pursue music as a career so..."

 

"Didn't fancy it?"

 

"No, it's not so much that," I'd said, "but I love to write as well. It was a hard decision, but I decided to major in English."

 

The other three players had then delicately placed their instruments down, and settled themselves on either side of Jaejoong. The girl, who I recognized as the one playing second violin, was easily dwarfed by her three male players. She'd flicked an overly long fringe from out of her eyes and had said, "I'm Park Bom, but just call me Bom."

 

"Daesung," the tall, lanky cellist had introduced himself as. He smiled, his boyish-good-looks marred by skin covered in angry red splotches. His eyes, however, seemed to have a somewhat playful twinkle in them that suggested he has a good sense of humor.

 

The last player graced me with pearly white smile. He was the tallest out of the three, but unlike Daesung, had broad shoulders that strained against a denim jacket. He had a more sturdy, muscular physique than Jiyong, his black hair and brown eyes another total contrast. "I'm Seunghyun. It's nice to meet you," he'd said, sticking his hand out for me to shake. I'd reciprocated, his hand seeming to cling to mine for a moment longer than necessary.

 

"Right," Jaejoong had said, a tinge of annoyance seeping into his voice as he'd squeezed himself between Seunghyun and I. "I was wondering, and I'm sure the others will agree, whether you'd like to play with us? We could use a pianist."

 

 

 

 

 

"…and so," I continued, smiling at Mom and Durami, "I'm going to be playing with them some time. You'll have to hear 'em one of the days sis, they're really great."

 

Durami nodded.

 

"I'm glad you'll have a group to play with again, Dara. Maybe we'll be hearing you playing at home more now. The piano was gaining dust."

 

"That's just because Dara keeps forgetting to do her chores,' Durami corrected.

 

I narrowed my eyes dangerously at her, flipping her the bird when I'm sure mom's not looking.

 

"Charming," Durami mumbled.

 

I could only roll my eyes.

 

 



 

 

Told you it was short. LOL =)) Anyway, voting for EMA is done! So Imma get back to business. I've started writing the last chapter for TOTL guys! Yipee! But it's far from being done though Haha :P Wait for it, neh? ^^

Thanks for subscribing and taking interest in this guys! Loveyouall! ^^

 

Oh, to those who are asking, yes I am accepting banner requests. I'm currently doing 3 right now. LOL If you have any requests, go here:

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/76732/moderato-daragon :)