The disappearance

Goodbye, my beloved Danger

"So, where were you the day of the fire?" He asked with his arms crossed over the table.

"At home, feeling miserable, maybe?" Jiyong wasn't interested in the man in front of him; his thoughts were far away from the interrogation room, they were in the morning when his wife got missing.

"I'll tell you what I know," he said then, sitting up and walking around without looking at the other male in the room. "Your wife was having an affair and you couldn't deal with it so you killed her; but the remorse was unbearable and you decided to kill yourself too. How does it sound?"

Jiyong couldn't believe how the inspector could articulate such a story. His wife having an affair? He killing her and trying to commit suicide? The last thing he knew before drinking his reserve of scotch to the last drop didn't make sense at all. He had never been involved with the mafia, but they had decided to take Jihye away from him a couple of days ago, the very same day he almost died in a fire after drowning himself in alcohol; he woke up in the hospital days later, with Lee Seungri investigating everything related to him. However, Jiyong couldn't remember how the fire had started or when he had passed out dead drunk, but Seungri's explanation sounded more unrealistic than his own conclusions.

"That's not true, and you know it."

"Then, how did you do it?" Seungri hit the table with his palms, making the other shiver in surprise and anger.

"I didn't do it, damn it!"

"Oh really? How come you were the only one at the scene that night then?. Where is she?" Questioned the inspector, raising his voice.

"I almost died! How could I kill her and hide the body; I was death drunk!" Now both were standing face to face, challenging each other with the eyes.

"It's circumstantial and impossible to prove. Now be honest, where is she?" 

"I don't know, Seungri." Upon hearing that, the inspector straightened his back and adopted an indecipherable expression.

"It's inspector Lee for you."

"I know you and have the right to call you Seungri" The answer came immediately, with a hand grabbing his shirt by the neck, breaking his carefree posture.

"You don't know anything about me, Jiyong" Seungri let him go before continuing, this time, speaking to the door, "that's all for now. Take him back to his cell"

Two men in uniform came into the interrogation room to handcuff Jiyong as the inspector walked out trying to cool down his head. Subduing Jiyong to the evidence he got so far made no difference, it just brought back things he already knew: the elder passed out due to a high alcohol level in his system, Jihye's body was nowere to be found and the fact that his husband hid it before the fire started couldn't be proved. The only thing he needed to close the case was for Jiyong to admit that he had killed her, but something was telling him that a bigger truth was still hidden. "I have to make him speak, it's the only way to end this, maybe if I can go back to the crime scene, more evidence will show up."

 

Seungri arrived at the burned house with more ideas in his head. The biggest pool of blood was found in what still remained of the main bedroom, the white and bloody dress was half burned in the hall's floor, and Jiyong was dragged from the living room with an empty scotch decanter in his hand. He felt that something had been left out, something that would solve this strange case. He walked through the damaged front door and looked at the floor where dragging marks were visible over the soot, along with a human silhouette that, he assumed, belonged to Jiyong. He crossed the hallway to get into the main room where the blood pool had been found. The fire hadn't been strong enough to destroy more than some walls and most of the roof as the ignition phase was along the walls in the hallway. It definitely was a strange way to commit suicide.

A knock on the window woke the inspector up and made him yell as he closed the closet he was examinating: "Wait a minute, I'm coming out."

"Looking for more evidence?", said the man with grey and red hair when Seungri walked out of the house.

"There's something out of place sir, you know we couldn't find any blood on Jiyong's clothing and I don't see any reason for him to clean it all up"

"Maybe he was getting rid of the evidence and everything went wrong", he replied, downplaying the importance of the matter. "You should call the team to collect all his clothes, rather than fool around in the crime scene. Don't you agree, inspector Lee?"

"I'm not fooling around, Chief Choi. I'm looking for concluding evidence" replied the inspector frowning. "And since that's my job, I'll continue to do so until the one responsible for this crime is behind bars."

"He already is, Seungri. Stop this nonsense today and go fill in your report."

With that, Seunghyun walked away, leaving Seungri with a growing feeling in his stomach that told him with more force than before that something was really out of place. 

Seunghyun waited inside his car until the inspector walked into the house again. "Daesung, keep an eye on him" the other male nodded and walked out of the car before it drove away, without lifting his sight from the ground.

Seungri went back to the closet where something in the floor had caught his attention before his superior's interruption. He kneeled in front of the opened door and took a bullet case with a pair of tweezers, "if the laboratoy could find out the gun that had fired it and prove that it belonged to Jiyong, then I would have a strong case. Sadly, that is going to take days or even weeks". Sighing, he stood up again, keeping the case in a sealed envelope, and went to the other piece of furniture he wanted to inspect: what seemed to be her night table.

The wood was all black and charred in some parts, but everything inside seemed to be in perfect condition: a book with a green cover, a hairbrush with some hairs still on it and a wooden jewellery box closed with a silver lock. He kept the hairbrush and the box as evidence, both secured in the same way as the bullet case, and made his way back to the station, completely oblivious of Daesung’s presence following him close behind.