CHAPTER 6- HOLD ME TIGHT

SUMMER FEVER (A Red Velvet-BTS- Winner Story)

CHAPTER 6- HOLD ME TIGHT

 

NO ONE’S POV

            Jinwoo walked through the door of the ballroom hall where the press conference will be held. He walked side by side with Heeyeon, who suddenly took his hand as soon as they entered. She spread a big smile on her face, acting as if she was the happy wife she was supposed to be. Trying to act like the happy couple everyone wants to see.

 

            “Can’t you smile, Jinwoo-yah? Just for today?” Hani said as silently as she can, just enough for Jinwoo to hear her. Jinwoo looked at her. “Just for now, jebal?” Hani stared at him, her eyes pleading.

 

            Just for now, Jinwoo, he thought to himself. He face the glaring flashes of the cameras in front of them and flashed a fake smile. His heart shrunk but he had to act as if everything is okay. The look on his mother’s face showed that she is happy with him being with Hani. His cousin who wnted to be able to take over their company showed dissatisfaction over the fact that Jinwoo will now officially be the President of KJW Group of Companies.

 

            “You want to protect your company, then just go with this Jinwoo. You don’t have to worry about anything. I’m willing to help.” She waved in front of the camera and gave a smile.

 

            Jinwoo helped her as she walked up the mini stage set up for the press conference. Questions kept coming in and they all answered them. This felt like a lie. Jinwoo wanted to believe that it was a lie but everything that was happening now is true. A few hours after this, after everything will be out in the open, Irene will be finding out the reason why he broke up with her.

 

            Hyojin watched her sister as they continued the press conference. Watching her there, she felt that something was definitely wrong. Yes, she knew that this was an arranged marriage, and Heeyeon kept telling her that they are not just used to this set-up, but they were childhood friends. That is quite impossible for them to act that way. At least, Jinwoo could be a little bit nicer to Hani but all Hyojin saw was the coldness of his treatment towards her. Hyojin could not take it. They entrusted their youngest to him and this was all she could get after their marriage. She has to protect Heeyeon whatever it takes.

 

            Clicks from the cameras continued and news was shared quickly all over Korea. Wendy and Joy immediately found out about the news and was doing their best not to let Irene know about it.

 

            “But how will we do it when she always has her phone with her?” Joy asked the older girl.

 

            “I don’t know yet. Maybe we will have to keep it or something but before that, I need to talk to Nam Taehyun.” Wendy excused herself from the table and did a call to Taehyun. The line started to ring and a few seconds later, Taehyun’s voice was heard on the other side.

 

            “Yah! Nam Taehyun! You got so much explaining to do to me. What’s this news we saw in the internet just now? Didn’t I tell you to give me some news when you get them?”

 

            “Wendy, calm down! How am I even supposed to tell you that? Yes, I did say that to you but we are also in a difficult position here. It is also so difficult to tell you about his marriage.” His voice showed a hint of frustration.

 

            “So, explain it to me. What’s happening right now? Was he already with this girl while he was still with Irene?”

 

            “Wendy, I think I am in no position to tell you that. If you really want to know, Jinwoo should be the one to answer you that.”

 

            “Nam Taehyun, you just wait till I get back in Korea." Wendy locked the screen of her phone and went back to her friends. Joy stared at her. She didn't want Irene to take notice of her so she just acted like nothing is bothering her but the thought keeps tugging inside her head. How was she and Joy supposed to tell Irene about it?

 

IRENE'S POV

 

            After we took some breakfast, the boys invited us for a swim in the beach. We changed in to our swimsuits and left the hotel together with them. The girls seemed to enjoy their company. Seulgi pulled me with them to the water but I smiled and declined. I sat on the sand and took pictures of them with them in the water while some played beach volleyball. Suddenly someone sat beside me with a glass of melon shake.

 

            “Oh hi Jin. Thanks for this,” I smiled as I took the glass of melon shake from him. I took a sip as I adjusted my hat to protect my eyes from the heat.

            “Are you not joining them?” he asked me as he sat down with me in the sand.

 

            “Maybe later. I just want to watch from here and take some pictures. Oh you go and play with them. I’ll be fine here.” I took out my phone from my bag to check maybe, just maybe, Jinwoo saw my messages and maybe sent me a reply. I didn’t want to stop hoping. It was all I have left for now. I opened the screen of my phone when suddenly, Wendy and Joy came running to my side and took my phone away from me.

 

            “Eonnie! Come on, you always try to stay away from this. Come on play with us!” They tugged my arm as Joy took my phone away from me and placed it inside the bag. I just smiled and let myself be pulled by them as the other boys called Jin to also join in. I stood up and played volleyball with them. Later on we dipped in to the water when suddenly J-Hope invited us to go ride the flying fish.

 

            The group agreed and walked to Station 3 of Boracay to grab a ride of the flying fish. We took a speed boat after paying for the ride. We enjoyed the whole ride and it did good making me forget a bit about Jinwoo a bit but then right after the ride I wanted to get my phone to check on it again.

 

            “Eonnie! Go take a bath first!” Seulgi said as she took my phone away from me when we arrived at our hotel room? They seemed to be in a panic. And ever since this morning, I noticed they have been taking my phone away from me.

 

            "Wait, just wait a minute, girls. Do you think I haven't noticed what you have been trying to do since this morning?" The four of them stood silently in front of me. Worry can be seen in their eyes. I know there was something going on. "My phone, give it to me."

 

            "Eonnie," said Seulgi.

 

            "My phone, now." Seulgi handed my phone to me with so much hesitation. The three seemed like they would jump on my phone any moment but I looked at them with a threatening glare. "Whatever you are trying to hide from me, I will know it sooner or later, so I see no point for you to try keeping it from me. Do you think I will not find out?"

 

            I opened my phone and checked my messages. No message from him so what was the point of hiding it from me. But when I opened up the net, the news that flashed in front of me was enough to make me weak in the knees.

 

            HEIR TO THE KJW GROUP OF COMPANIES INTRODUCES HIS FIRST LADY TO THE PUBLIC

 

            I stumbled backwards. Mwoya? Igaemwoya? Was it just that easy to chuck me away like that, Kim Jinwoo? I supported myself by holding myself against the wall. Yeri walked up to me, her hands opened forwards to me for support. I stopped her by holding up a hand.

 

            "Aniyo! Don't. I'll be okay."

 

            "But, Eonnie." She walked towards me.

 

            "I said don't! I'll be okay. Leave me alone." I slowly walked out of our room. My eyes started filling with my tears and not long soon, they overflowed just the feelings that were overflowing inside f me.

 

JIN'S POV

 

            I walked out of our room to walk a little while I waited for my turn in the bathroom. I was covering my shoulders with a towel as I was still dripping wet from swimming a while ago and I touched my face,  suffering from slight sunburn. I smiled as I faced the girls’ room, about to knock on it when suddenly a flash of platinum blonde hair came out of it.

 

            "Eonnie!" a rushing Yeri called out. "Oh, Seokjin-oppa!" she said as she realized my presence.

 

            "Wait here. Let me go follow her. I'll bring her back." I didn't wait for her to answer me. I sprinted after Irene, doing my best not let her out of my sight.

 

            "Irene!" I ran amongst the crowd. There she is! I reached out my hand and grabbed hers. "Irene..." I stared at her and her tear stained face. She looked back at me. I somehow didn't know what to do so I just held her hand and waited for her to speak.

 

            "He left me for someone else. He married her. How could he be this cruel?" She had her head down while tears continued to flow down.

 

            "I don't know how I could help you, Irene, but I understand what you are going through now." She suddenly buried her face in my chest which surprised me. I didn't know how to react at first but then I just let my hand rest on her back and pat her to help her calm down. Another awkward situation because people started staring at us. "Like I told you a while ago, what you are going through right now will really hurt because it is a fresh wound, but in time it will heal. You have a lot of people supporting you. Just cry all you want now. I'll understand you.”

 

            "Sorry for putting you in this awkward situation for the second time today," Irene said. We were walking back to our hotel.

 

            "Gwaenchanayo. I'm used to it. Even the boys joke around with me saying that I look awkward in anything I do." I laughed at myself and felt relief when I saw her give off a slight laugh too. "Good to see you react to that. You look a lot better if you have a smile on your face instead."

 

            "I'm sorry. It's just that I saw a news of him saying that he already married someone else. And," her voice cracked a little, signaling that she was about to cry again. I tried thinking of a way to at least comfort her. Suddenly a bright idea struck me. I grabbed her hand and told her to follow me.

 

            "Where are we going?" she asked as I stopped a tricycle and told him where to bring us. I made it as low as possible so as to surprise Irene.

 

            "I know this is going to be crazy but just trust me, arasso?" the tricycle moved to station 3 where I asked him to lead us. We walked a few more steps and we arrived to our destination.

 

            "Here we are," I said proudly. Irene looked up to see the G-max Reverse Bungee standing proudly in front of us.

 

            "Are you...? Seriously?" a googling Irene said to me.

 

            I nodded. "I know this is crazy and absurd but yes, I'm serious."

 

            "Hey but that is so high. It's scary," she said, her face covered with nervousness at the thought of stepping in the ride.

 

            "I know, I'm also scared." I chuckled. "But let's try doing this. Release all your stress and shout it all out." She stood there thinking about it deeply. My heart pounded, I don't know if it was because we were about to ride that or because she was holding my right hand tightly.

            "Hmm, okay. Let's go but promise me not to let go of my hand, okay?" She said as she looked at me straight in the eyes. I don't know why but I like the feeling she sends to me saying that she needs me and she wants me there to stay beside her. I smile back in assurance that I'm there for her.

 

            "Don't worry. I'll hold your hand tight," I said with a smile.

 

IRENE'S POV

 

            "Don't worry. I'll hold your hand tight," said this man I barely even know in front of me but somehow it felt like he was someone I know I'll be able to trust with my whole life by the way he said it me. The assurance in his voice, by the way my hand perfectly fit his and the way he held it like he will never let go, I know in myself I can trust him.

 

            "Trust in my love for you, Irene." Another voice filled my head. Kim Jinwoo. Why did you make me believe in you when you will just throw it all away? The picture of him and his wife flashed in my head and I just want to break down and cry again but I can't. I just want to feel numb now. I don't want to feel anything now. I guess Jin's idea is perfect.

 

            We walked up the ride and had our safety belts wrapped properly around us. I held on to Jin's hands for dear life. We stared in to each other and he smiled at me. It was the most comforting sight in the world for me at the moment. "Pour it all out, Irene. Don't worry about them hearing it, just scream it all out until it is all empty inside, okay?" I nodded at him and there it was. The countdown started and the crazy ride began.

 

            The feeling was scary, but exciting at the same time. It was exhilarating. At first it felt like I left my stomach below. It didn't register in my mind immediately that we were already thrown up and down. Jin was screaming beside me and when I finally realized what was happening, my voice came out and all the feelings welling up in me for the past weeks came flooding out. I was screaming my lungs out, tears flowed down my face. I screamed not because of the ride, but mainly because I wanted release. All the pain inside, the anger, the frustration, all because of him. I was sobbing but it was better this time. Someone was holding my hand, telling me I was safe beside him and he will stay beside me and support me. I can feel his cold hands holding me but to me it felt rather warm.

 

            "Yah, Kim Jinwoo! I hate you!" The last words I said before the ten minute ride ended. I panted hard as the ride came to a stop and I felt dizzy yet satisfied after pouring my heart out.

 

            I faced Jin and smiled. "So, how was it? Did you scream it all out?" he asked.

 

            I nodded at him and smiled. "Kamsahamnida, I feel a lot better now, thanks to you."

 

            "Ani, I didn't do much but if you want someone to breathe out your problems, you know I'm here to listen." I looked at his pretty face as we walked back to our hotel. How could this man I barely know feel like a good, old friend I know from way back then? It was easy being myself around him. I never hesitate talking to him. It’s nice that at least there is a male figure I know I can lean on to when I am at my weakest but I know this will only be for summer.

 

            “When you were shouting there above, I cannot hear anything well. My mind went blank for the next ten minutes,” Jin laughed at himself. I laughed to.

 

            “Look at you, you forced yourself to ride that to help me bring out all the stress I kept in me. You didn’t have to do that though.” I suddenly felt guilty for him. “But I’m really thankful.”

 

            “Anyway, at least you feel better now releasing all those bottled up emotions for your jerk of an ex-boyfriend. Oh sorry.”

 

            “Ani, gwaenchanayo.” We walked back to the hotel in silence with me feeling a bit better now but the hurt of knowing that Jinwoo will never be mine will keep haunting me again and again. I looked at Jin and reached out for his hand, the hand I know I can hold tightly when I am weak. His smiling face which will remind me of this wonderful summer when I met a good friend.

 

*****

Hello once again, everyone! I’m really sorry for barely updating. I really have a busy schedule now but as much as I can, I write during the free time I have so please bear with me

 

By the way, I’m really happy with BTS’s new MV. Hope we ARMY’s can help the have another feat of No.1. Everyone, Fighting!