09 Ninth Letter

Unknown Romeo [indefinite hiatus]

No one’s POV

Dear Juliet

I have nothing to say but apologize for my lousiness. Your sweetness melts me into pools of cream and custard and all the glory.

Take this as a promise that, someday, we will be together. People may say we're rash, but both of us know better than anyone else.  

Please wait just a little longer.  You are just so outstandingly unique that I feel ashamed of myself, I’m not good enough. Someday I’ll be good enough for you, so please wait a little longer. I'll show you my most perfect imperfections.

 

People say we shouldn’t be together

We're too young to know about forever

But I say they don’t know what they talk talk talkin’ about

 

Cause this love is only getting stronger

So I don’t wanna wait any longer

I just wanna tell the world that you're mine girl”

(They Don’t Know About Us – One Direction)

 

Oh Romeo, where art thou, Romeo. Another school day greeted with Romeo’s sweet words, but still no presence of this sweet miracle.

Krystal stands smiling to herself with the letter in her hands, dreaming of this prince charming - that he will one day sweep her off her feet. Young and naïve, that is what she is. Nothing would go wrong and they’ll live happily ever after, unlike Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet where the star-crossed lovers end their life. This pair of Romeo and Juliet will not be foolish, they will be together and their love will grow stronger day by day, that is this Romeo and his Juliet.

 

"I spy with my big round eyes, a girl in love." a familiar teasing voice came from behind Krystal as a figure of a thin boy approached. “Let you favourite oppa see.” The letter was snatched before the words even processed through her.

“Wait no, Key-oppa. Key! No!” Having had just waking up from her dream-like state, Krystal started squirming around, flinging her fists fiercely (but to no avail) aiming at Key with her brand new boots, glossing every time sunlight hit them.

“Oh wow. Rather dramatic indeed.” With raised eyebrows, Key flipped to the other side of the card to see nothing. “But, peu-leese, you love me more than this Romeo.” He unsurprisingly looked at her gleaming boots; “Oh, nice boots, by the way.” Before giving her a wink.

“They’re perfect, oppa.” Krystal no longer flung from side to side and was now admiring her boots. “Thank you, really.” Key passed the letter back to her and she took it back before putting it into her locker – along with the previous ones.

The duo’s conversation bounced from one subject to another and continued from one end of the spectrum to the other end. They fitted like pieces of puzzles, like apple pie and custard, like strawberry and chocolate (though Key would fight to be the strawberry). It was a rather dramatic start for a school morning, but it changed the day. Being with Key meant she no longer had to face mr.moodswing, and the many couples that had ants crawling on them. Being with Key meant that there would be friendly punches exchanged every once in a while – if punches can be considered as ‘friendly’. Despite their common interests, the ‘forbidden’ subject (well, at least for the girl) was still brought up.

“Hey, Krys. Um…” Hesitation. Krystal didn't like this. “What happened to Minho?”

Krystal’s stretched smile instantly dropped and a panicky eyes over took her face. Key saw and disliked how her dilated pupils and how tightly her lips were pressed upon any mention of her 'best friend'. “Is he on his on his period or something?” Trying to ease up her, a dry laugh escaped from him - he was disappointed at himself.

The panic was not from having Minho angry – as he was frequently angry – but from because she didn’t know how to answer the question, to tell him that both of them were the culprit behind Minho’s dark aura this time. Krystal felt sorry for getting her lovely oppa, who has been nothing but understanding to her, involved in the mess. The friendship between Minho and Krystal had been going up and down a roller coaster lately and seemed to be heading towards some kind of cliff at this moment.

Key, the devious too-school-4-you, took one look at her and had nothing to say but smile. Sympathetically. The previous carefree love in Krystal's eyes was replaced with some porcelain glass, ready to shatter at every second. “He’s too over-protective, isn’t he? It’s his own fault, right? Minho’s fault. It’s Minho’s own fault.”

Much to Key's dismay, Krystal was not easily moved. “A-a few days ago, I changed my locker combination…” a simple statement that did not mean anything but to her, and him, it meant trust down the drain.

“And?” Key urged.

“So, Minho couldn’t get into it. I feel that… You know, the letter this morning. I feel that it has been because of them. I really like Romeo, but ever since the first letter… Things have been messed up. I don’t know if he knows about it or his ups and downs have anything to do with the letters, but I don’t want him to see it. Just in case."

Key wanted to smile. Key wanted to cry. Almost because he finds it funny but he'll sympathize with her. This could definitely be made into a movie. He slid his hands into Krystal’s sweaty palms, making gentle circular motions with his thumbs. “Soojung-ah~ you even hardly know this Romeo. Let’s give things more time, shouldn’t we?” As gently as he could, trying hard not to shine his lovely, bright teeth at her lovingly. It seemed like she was doing all this to protect her Romeo yet the one she was supposed to be caring more was the childhood friend whom would take a bullet for her.

Such a lost lamb, baby Jung.

He could see, as clear as a crystal, that Krystal’s world was all pink and happy endings. Even though, she tries to be all tough and mighty, this little girl truly proved that eighteen was only a number. He was not much older than her but his world was much wider. Kim Kibum, that's a name he (not-so-much) despised but would happily forget. Much of his childhood was spent being juggled between parents and relatives. Aunty this and Uncle that, first, second cousins were all just labels and only one label matter to him, Granma.

“Maybe things aren’t as it seems, Krystal. Think things through again? Maybe?” He said softly to her.

"There will be someone who... Appreciates you, they might not be here yet, they might be right beside you. Maybe it's this Romeo, or someone else. You just have to wait."

Krystal blinks. “Oh gosh. I’m sounding so unlike me, too deep.” He managed to lift the heavy mass of tension up and Krystal was smiling – even weakly – once again.

“Who are you? What have you done to my Key-oppa?” A quiet joke came out of her and brightened up both of their moods, making Key, even for a second, forget that things weren’t so bright, at least not for him.

“That’s my girl!” With arms wide open he scooped the fragile girl, just like her name, into his embrace, her breaking into fits of genuine giggles. As fragile as a crystal as her name says, but maybe the most breakable one in need of protection might be the person who holds the key?

............

 

"Yah, Kibum. What you wearing? And the hair?"

"It's fashion, Granma. This-" he picked up his baggy trousers on him to show her, "-is all it's about these days! And the hair? The H.O.T hyungs have this! Granma, you HAVE to watch them."

His granma laughed at his enthusiasm as she brushes his hair out of his face (causing him to style it again), "Just don't get yourself into trouble, no trouble, okay?"

 

............

 

Annyeong, amigos~ haha it's been what. 2 years? i do apologise for this but ahhhh massive writer's block and stuff. I actually wrote this over a year ago, but never posted ^^; had to do loads of editting.... would anyone like to take on this story after me?

 

hahaha...ha...ha... /intense sweating/

 

hope you enjoy! i /might/ update again soon!