The Odd Audition

Cold Summer, Hot Winter

8.30 am

"You ready?" Eun Hee is all excited for the audition

"Could me.. not?" She laughs at me

"I'll drive, lets go"  we get in the car. She brags about how she practiced all night and suddenly we are here. "Lets get in"

"Please wait here, your name could be called anytime" says the PIC

A few names were called before "JUNG EUN HEE"  she breathes in and out

"Good luck Puffy" i mess her hair

"What are you-" she smiles "thanks, good luck to you too" she walks along the corridor and disappears. 

 

~                ~                ~                ~                ~

 

It takes a few names until my name's called.

Lee. Seung. Hwa. I read the PIC's name tag. He's about 170cm. He shows me the way and asks me to get in to the audition room. "Thank you, Seung Hwa-ssi"  He looks at me for a second, nods and leaves.

"Good morning Ms.. Young Gi, could we start directly?" The room is completely empty. The voice comes from the speaker above me. So they're watching behind these glasses? I thought they'll ask me to introduce myself, but i guess they've had enough of it so i nod. "So the first is your singing skill"  i bow and read through their name boards which are placed on the empty table. Kim Won Il, Choi Hong Joo, Cha Hak Yeon.. Isn't that N?     "please sing"

"Good afternoon, uh i mean, morning gentlemen" i could hear N's giggle in my head "I will begin my audition by singing Taeyang's Eyes Nose Lips. Please enjoy" 

I breath in and begin to sing, I think i go on alright but i really dont know how do i sound because i couldn't see their faces. It's harder than i thought. But at least, I feel at ease because i feel like i'm singing by myself in this empty room.

At the end of the song, i couldn't hear a single clap. Damn. How did i sound? "Thankyou Ms. Young Gi. Now, you can request any song to dance to. The song would be played from the intro until the second refrain. You could cover the particular song's choreography or dance to your own. You can ask us if you wish to change your song. But you only get once chance to request it. You can begin anytime" crap. I dont follow choreographs. Eun Hee told me to practice but i didnt do it. I should've listen to her. Now i feel like dying.

I may sound crazy but i can't do girl group's dance. Yet, now I'm auditioning to be in a girl group.

"4Minute's Whatcha Doin' Today  please" 

"Please count down from 3"

I just want to end this "Three  Two  One"

The song begins. My body feels so stiff. This is so uncomfortable. I stand still and raise my hand  "I would like to change my song, please" i haven't move an inch yet i wish to change my song already.

The song directly stops "What song do you wish for?"

I take a deep breath before requesting VIXX's Eternity. A boy group's song on a girl group audition? Really Young Gi? I'm so done. And Importantly, N is here. What the heck i was thinking.

I swear those judges take a few seconds before i hear "Okay, please count down from 3"

Move to the beat, Young Gi, move to the beat. 

"Three" I take another deep breath everytime i count.  "Two"

"One"

I could hear the song's intro. Move. I begin to move my body according to the beat. I dont follow choreographs. I let myself move as my body desires.

The second refrain has ended. I stop myself and bow. Still, i couldn't hear a single clap. I wait for a moment before i hear N's voice "Thank you Ms. Young Gi. You can wait in the next room with the others. The result will be announced soon"

I slightly bow and leave the room. 

 

~                ~                ~                ~                ~

 

"HAHAHA YOU DID WHAT?" Eun Hee cracks up when i told her about what song i danced to

"Shh. They're looking at us"  i look around and give a slight bow to apologize

"You silly little . Why dont you choose any girl group song? I told you to practice any song you'd like, didn't i? I can't dance either but i choose SNSD's Genie anyway"  

"I told you i don't dance to any of it" i sigh "But, SNSD's Genie? You got guts" i admire her

"I got guts? YOU danced to VIXX' Eternity! Who could beat that?" she shakes her head in dissaproval.

"Well that's.."  somebody must've dance to a malegroup's song too.. right?

"What-"

"ATTENTION EVERYONE"  the voice comes from the speakers above us. 

"Is that N??" a girl asks

"Aww N!!"

"Oh my goshh, NNN!!"

"Shut upp, its N!"

Yeah right everybody shut up, we need to hear him. 

"Good afternoon everyone. This is N. I would like to thankyou for your individual perfomances just now. We are having a hard time selecting the candidates because you're all equally talented. This may takes longer than we expected. That's why the result will be announced at 3pm. Everybody may takes your leave first but please make sure you've come back here before 3 and not 3.03"  3.03? is he.. mocking me?  "i mean, please dont be late, even a minute."  i think i heard him giggles cause every girls around me sounds like they're going crazy over it  "We are very sorry for this inconvenience. Me and the other VIXX' members will be here too at the announcement. So please dont be late. Have a good time everyone! Take care!" 

Now everyone is literally going crazy. So does Eun Hee. "Puffy let's go"

"Where??" she still looks dreamy 

"Out of this room? Everyone here is out of their minds"  i do too, but i endure it for sure. I run out from the room. "ahh, finally. let's go buy ice-"  Darn it. I thought Eun Hee was right behind me.

No no, i'm not going back to the room and snatch her away. I"ll call her-- dammit she's not picking up. Um.. maybe she's busy fangirling about N with the others. Okay let her be, i'll just-

"CRACK"

I heard the door opens again and all the fangirl's talk are coming out. I frown and see who tries to escape. 

"Ah.. annyeonghaseyo" she looks shocked and bows to me after closing the door 

"A..annyeonghaseyo" i bow back. She looks so polite "Escaping from those fangirls too?" She smiles and nods. She looks like a kid. "What's your name?"

"I'm Kim Ha Neul* and you?"        (Haneul = Sky)

"I'm Young Gi, Park Young Gi"

"Nice to meet you. I'm sorry I need to go"

"Oh..  nice to meet you too!" I said it loud, make sure she hears me cause she ran off my sight just like that.

 

~                ~                ~                ~                ~

 

It's 2.50  i grab my phone and head back. I came to the coffee shop across the Jellyfish building so I won't be late again. I dont see Puffy's coming out of the building. I guess she meets her starlight soulmate. I pictured Puffy's talking about VIXX all night in my head and chuckled. The janitor sees me chuckled by myself. I smile awkwardly and walk faster. 

2.57  I think everybody's here.

BANG!  the door harshly open. I see Kim Haneul catches her breath. Its 2.59 that's why

"Kim Haneul-ssi!" she looks at me "Sit here" 

She walks towards me and says "Thankyou"

I'm about to asks 'where have you been' type of question when more than 90% of the girls gasp. I turn around and see two men in a casual vest. I squint my eyes to read their name tags.  Kim Won Il. Choi Hong Joo. Oh, the judges? I could hear those girls behind me are talking about one of the judges in front of me. Specifically, Choi Hong Joo. He's pretty cute and he has beautiful eyes. Suddenly those girls forget about VIXX for a second and worry about their performance being watched by him. Um.. excuse me? N WAS watching us too? Why dont you guys worry about that? Or.. do i worry because I dance to his song?

Certainly. 

Those guys are just standing in front of us while holding their phone. They stand there for a minute before  "May I have your attention please?" Kim Won Il begins their speech. Hong Joo looks around and smiles. He has dimples. Now I understand what these bees are buzzing about, he looks like Exo's Lay.   
"The result of the audition has been made. It will be revealed soon. But before that, as we promise, please welcome"  everybody takes a deep breath, they know the sh/t is going down.   "VIXX" 

VIXX' enters the room, everybody claps and some of them are shouting. All of VIXX' members march along side by side as they do on my TV. Oh god, I need to control myself.  "Annyeonghaseyo! Real V!  V.I.X.X  VIXX! Nice to meet you!"  they bow. Everybody sounds like they're holding their voices up. I look around and yes, they look like they're about to scream. Or die. Maybe they dont want to embarass themselves? Probably.

"Where's Ken?" Asked a girl from behind

"So, as i promised you guys. We will be here to announce the result. "  N began to speak  "But first, I would like to apologize because Ken couldn't be here. He has another schedule." i could hear some girls are dissapointed. "Thankyou for not being late"  N smiles to everyone and glances at me. what-  "Now, Leo will read the result"  N gives the paper he's been holding to Leo.

Oh no.

Leo stays quiet for a second.

The whole room is in silence.

"So.. Um.."  Everyone's definitely staring at him. He's in so much pressure. 

I really do worry about Leo but i want to hear the result at the same time. I hold my phone too tight and it slips off from of my hand-  "DUKK"  Now I get everyone's attention.

I forgot to use my phone case this morning, so the back side of my phone got loose and the battery slips out. This is WAY too awkward. I swear I should've run away since the time the asked me to dance.

I look around and slightly bow with an awkward smile. I catch N's gaze and he giggles at me again. I pout at him. Can he stops giggling at me for god's sake. But then i see Hongbin and Hyuk holding their laughs. Well, maybe i really do look stupid now. I blink and get on my knees to pick up my phone, and the battery of course.

But before i reach out my hand, Leo gets on his knees with lightning's speed and snatches my phone and the battery away. He gives the paper to Ravi, turns around, and occupied himself with my phone. Is he trying to fix it?  I get up and stare at him. I exchange look with Eun Hee who sits at the back. She shrugs, her eyes are wide open. Everybody is. 

I heard Kim Won Il clears his throat and everybody's trying to come back to their sense by blinking. So I get back on my sit.  "Okay so, I'll be in charge of Leo."  Ravi speaks really fast  "Let's go to the point. I'm sure you all has been waiting for this, that's why I'm not going to take a long break after mentioning a single name, so listen up."  he takes a breath  "The first one is Jeon Jin Hee"  a girl from my right side stands up and gives a highfive to the person next to her. She's pretty and has a great body. Oh god. She was just the first to be announced a second ago and i've already lost most of confidence. Ravi glances at the girl and continues  "Sohn Nam Il, Oh Hye Mi, Yoon Bo Mi.."  i hear some girls screaming from the back. "Seo Ji Soo, Shin Hye Song.." the girl whom Jin Hee gave her highfive to, stands up and gives Jin Hee a fistpump. Man, she's just the same as Jin Hee. I might run away anytime now. But, my phone?I look at Leo. Looks like he fixed it already. But why isn't he giving it back? Leo catches my gaze and nods. He knows that i was asking for my phone, but he didn't move. I tilt my head. Probably he doesn't want to disturb the announcement?

I realize i didnt let go off my gaze from Leo while thinking, Leo slightly tilts his head too. He looks like he's asking 'whats wrong?' or more like 'you dont understand my nod?'  i quickly nod to show him that i get it and smile, but my smile turns out awkward. Bad choice. I must've look like a real idiot.

Oh God please let me escape.

N snatches the paper away from Ravi before he continues. "Thankyou Ravi, now it's my turn" Ravi looks a bit shocked. "The last 3 names will be called by me"  one-two-three-four-  so there's gonna be 9 girls choosen?  "Kim So Eun"  a girl screams with happiness. I turn back. Oh she's chubby. "Kim Ha Neul"  

My eyes widened, i turn to Haneul. "Congratulations!" I smile widely and reach out my hand to give her a handshake. I dont know why i feel so happy that she got chosen, so i shake her hand hard and we both laugh.  

"And last, Park Young Gi"  

I was still laughing while shaking hands until-

"YOUNG GI !!" i hear Puffy's voice

"Yeah?" i wonder why does Puffy need to shout?

"You did it, silly!" she laughs

"Did what?" 

"Hehe"  Ravi chuckles and turns to N  "She really didnt' hear you, repeat what you said"  

N sighs  "Listen here, Park Young Gi. You are the last one."

I was still holding hands with Haneul unconciously. She shakes back my hand. "Congratulations to you too, silly!" she laughs.

I've come back to my sense. the f---  i couldn't believe it. Now everybody's congratulating everybody. And the next thing i know is a back hug from Eun Hee. I stand up, turn around and hug her back "Congratulations, you little-- puppy!" She's struggling not to say '' in front of  everyone, mostly VIXX.

"Puppy?" Hyuk asks. Puppy's just too much. That's embarrassing. 

"Puppy's too much, Eun Hee"  she giggles. i take a breath and say  "I'm sorry you couldn't make it. we should've make it together. I wonder why didn't they choose you, I wonder why did they choose me, and I wonder why did they choose me over you. i was just-"

"It's not your fault. Or neither theirs." Eun Hee calmly answers and hugs me again "See? you can make it even though you dance to VIXX's Eternity instead of choosing any girl group's song!"  VIXX, Haneul and some people on the front row look at me. Damn it, Puffy.

"Whoa, really hyung? She dances to eternity?"  Hongbin finally speaks, he looks at N in disbelief

"Puffy.." I whispered. Eun Hee smiles and gives me a peace sign. I look around to see who else heard her. Some people beside me look amazed and some look confused. Jin Hee and Ji Soo whisper at each other while looking at me. I sense a weird vibe.

"Yeah she did"  N answers  "We recorded everything. Wanna see it?"

"NO!   eh, i mean, DON'T!"  N giggles. "Stop giggling at me" 

"Sorry, You're just.."

"Just what?! "

"Silly"

"......How dare you?!" I hold up my fist. Haneul looks panic. She holds my arm so i wouldn't do anything stupid. Meanwhile Eun Hee, N and the other members are cracking up. Except Leo, of course. Wait? Is he..

Is he holding back his laugh?

Better not to laugh, Leo. If you laugh too, then i really am silly.

"Here"  Leo gives me my handphone back while looking down at the floor. 

"What is it, Hyung?"  Asks Ravi.  "Are you..?"  He bends over to see Leo's face. Leo turns away from him  "You really are holding back your laugh!"  Ravi bursts out laughing. Again.

Every Idol has their own image. I dont know what mine would be after this. I ruin everything on my first day chosen as a trainee.

Kim Won Il clears his throat again.  "Everyone"  the room's slowly getting quiet and everybody returns to their seats  "I would like to thank you for your participation, cooperation and hard work for this audition. For those who are chosen, congratulations and please work hard. For those who couldn't make it, please stay inspired and work harder."  he pauses for a second  "Any last word, Hong Joo-ssi?"  he nods

"It was such a pleasure for me to be able to see your performances. We really appreciate every single effort you've devoted to this audition. Just like what Won Il-ssi said, Congratulations for the chosen one, and for those who couldn't make it, please continue to work hard because those who work the hardest will be the best no matter how"  I could hear those dreamy voices from girls around me.  "N?"

"Thankyou for having us here, it was such a pleasure for me too. I hope everybody will be able to keep up the good work and works harder from now on. We will always be cheering for you and hope for the best. Thankyou all" everybody's clapping.  "We have another schedule after this, we would like to excuse ourselves now"  Everyone sounds disappointed.  "Kamsahabnida!"  VIXX shouted, bow and vanish.

"Before we dismiss"  Hong Joo added  "i would like to ask those who are chosen to gather up in the previous audition room. Dismiss now. Thankyou everyone!"

 

~                ~                ~                ~                ~

 

"One- two- three-"  Kim Won Il begins to count  " -nine. Okay. Everybody takes a look at all of the girls beside you"  Everybody's glancing to their right and left  "You're all not the official member of Jellyfish's first girlgroup yet. You're all candidates. Out of the 9 of you, 5 most talented candidates will be chosen as the official member of the group. Jellyfish Ent. is planning on debuting the group next year. So, your competition here is not going to be easy. We really did choose you selectively based on your skill and, or your natural talent. That's why we took a little long time. "

'There will be two elimination. The first elimination will be held on the end of this month"  some of the girls gasp  "Pretty soon right? We know. Thats why we said, your competition isn't going to be easy. The number of people thats going to be eliminated isn't going to be 2 by 2 in each elimination. It depends on every individual's developments. In the first elimination, if one of you isn't catching up, she's going to be the one who go home. So, in the second elimination 3 candidates are going to be eliminated. The point is, from 2 rounds of elimination, there's going to be 4 people eliminated."  

Silence.

"Everybody understands?" asks Kim Won Il

"Yes"

Really now. I can't take this for fun anymore. How ever it is, i need to devoted this whole year as a trainee. This is going to be tough. And i'm going to give my best.

 

~                ~                ~                ~                ~

 

 

-Chapter 1 ends-

Young Gi slightly feels guilty because she was just trying this audition for fun. She never thought she would pass the audition. Now everything is very competitive, because the first elimination is going to be held in less than a month and she knows nothing. Will she be able to develops her ability? Will she meet VIXX again? Or will she meet another member of VIXX in person? Who will it be?

 

Next Chapter Hint

I run upstairs. I open the rooftop's door  "Ah.."  it's too bright. i can't see anything.

My eyes were just adjusting the brightness when i hear somebody's singing. 

"nae malkkeunmada banbokdoeneun neo~ yeah~"  i try to follow it.  It's VIXX' Only You. Is it my ringtone?  "nae dwikkeut inneun sarang yaegin neo~"  it continues. 

But then i hear the intro melody of Only You.  

Huh? THAT's my ringtone. 

The singing stops and somebody says "Who's there?"  i hide behind the wall. I was thinking about his familiar voice, when i hear a footsteps coming towards me.. 

 

Author's note:
Thankyou for reading and i hope youre looking forward for the next chapter. 
I would like to apologize for any mistake and if the story doesn't please you. 
Have a good day x