Take It Slow

Do You Hear Me?

I honestly don’t know how to make the chapters interesting. Sigh.

Happy reading!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Chapter Two ; Take It Slow

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The hospital canteen wasn’t too crowded. There were a few people in white coats buying coffee, talking to themselves about surgery and night shift. The doctors were probably having their some rest time before continuing their hectic shifts. This hospital is the best in Seoul so it wouldn’t be a surprise that most people chose to be treated and nursed here rather than any other cheaper hospitals. Some people in casual clothes were eating their snacks silently.

I hope mom’s surgery will be alright.

How am I supposed to pay off that expensive hospital bill?

Thank God it’s a baby boy. I’m a father now!

Myungsoo glances throughout the hospital canteen while hearing thoughts. Some are happy, some are sorrowful and some prayed. His gaze then stopped at the senior inspector sitting next to him. His coffee was getting cold but still untouched.

“Dongwoo hyung?”

He called out.

Dongwoo snapped out of his trance and glared at Myungsoo. “Where’s the boy you were talking about? You said that he could give some important info for the case.”

Myungsoo silently cuckled at Dongwoo’s bashful. His senior was surely that impatient one. “Just wait for a minute more, hyung. He’ll be here very soon. I assure you, you’ll be thankful to me later on.”

“Yeah, sure. Whatever.” Dongwoo dramatically rolled his eyes. “He better be or else you’ll have to pay my breakfast tomorrow.”

As on cue, Daeyeol appeared, almost running towards them. He smiled in apology and gave a deep bow. “Anneyounghaseyo. Sorry for keeping you wait for me. I got an important call just now from California.”

“It’s okay Daeyeol-shi. Please, have a seat.” Myungsoo said.

Daeyeol pulled out a chair right in front of the two and sat on it.

“So, you’re Lee Daeyeol?” Dongwoo asked. His voice was thicker, as if he was in the mood of interrogation. The relaxed and laidback person just now disappeared and replaced by a stern officer.

Daeyeol bowed his head. “Yes, Im Lee Daeyeol, patient Lee Sungyeol’s younger brother.”

“You live with him?” Dongwoo asked again.

“No.” Daeyeol answered. He leaned back, trying to find a comfortable position. “I don’t live with him. I live in California with our mother while Sungyeol hyung live alone since our father died. Our family is broken, if you’re wondering. About that Sungkyu guy, I know him through e-mails that Yeol hyung sent me. Sungkyu this, Sungkyu that. I’m glad that Sungkyu had taken a great care of my hyung since my absence. Our father died in an accident when we were both in high school, and I was already in California that time. Mom is a drinker, she wouldn’t care about anything. Including her owns blood and flesh.” Daeyeol told begrudgingly.

“Where’s your mother now?” Dongwoo interrupted, noticing the sharp intonation in Daeyeol’s voice when he mentioned his mother.

“Somewhere on the streets of New York, I think.” Daeyeol shrugged. “Honestly I don’t know and I don’t wanna know. I basically live off myself since we came to California. Sungyeol hyung and I, we only have each other. I am really grateful that a good guy like Sungkyu had always been with hyung’s side, though it was only for a short period.”

“So you never meet this Sungkyu guy in person?” Myungsoo asked in confirmation, eyes fixed on Daeyeol, with tension evident in those dark orbs.

Daeyeol slowly shook his head which made both Dongwoo and Myungsoo sighed in defeat. Dongwoo threw his body backwards, slumped against the chair.

“Don’t you think you guys shouldn’t be too focused on this Sungkyu guy?” Daeyeol suddenly asked. The two officers stared back at him. “Why do you think the murderer let Yeol hyung live, when he is the only witness if the murder?” he stated in a manner of asking. “From what Yeol hyung told me before, Kim Sungkyu was a very dedicate man. At a young age, he was already a CEO, a successful one. He was soft spoken, easy going, wise and caring. He was the type of perfect guy, the possible reasons for those who came after him. Both for good,” Daeyeol stared back at Dongwoo, “or bad intentions.”

For a moment, the canteen suddenly was the quietest place he had ever been. The loud chatters seemed to fade in the thin air. The two officers in front of him stayed quiet, immersed in their thoughts.

I’m worried about Yeol hyung’s safety.

Myungsoo looked up to Daeyeol. The said man was holding up his cup of coffee, deciding to drink it or put it again on the table. Tension and worry were written all over his face. With a sigh, he put back the cup on the table. Glanced at his wristwatch, he looked up to Myungsoo and Dongwoo.

“I would like to excuse myself if there’s nothing else you wanna ask.” He said, standing up.

Myungsoo and Dongwoo stood up after him in gratitude. “Thanks for spending time with us.” Dongwoo said.

They bowed to each other before Daeyeol left.

***

“Do you really have to go?” Sungyeol asked, watching Daeyeol putting his stuffs into his small luggage. “And stop doing that. I can pack my things myself.” He snatched his underwear from Daeyeol’s hand.

Daeyeol smiled softly. “I’m really sorry, Yeollie hyung. I really don’t want to leave you right at this moment but my colleague called earlier, something’s wrong with one of our investor.”

“Whatever.” The older murmured under his breath, pouting really obviously.

Daeyeol chuckled upon seeing the cute sight. Immediately, his hands found their way towards Sungyeol’s chubby cheeks and pinched them. “Aigoo aigoo why are you so cute, Lee Sungyeol? Seriously how old are you?” He sing song.

“Yah it hurts!” Sungyeol pushed Daeyeol’s hands away and counter attacked by tickling Daeyeol on the waist. They ended up having a little wrestling on the hospital bed. Good thing the door was closed and it was a VIP room where it was only them inside.

The childish fight ended with both of them panting and sweating, lying next to each other.

“I’m sorry.” Daeyeol said, breaking the moment of silence.

“For what?”

“For not protecting you when you need me the most. For not being there to support you through your hard times. For leaving you now, when you are in your most vulnerable state.” He said slowly.

Sungyeol sat up abruptly, followed by Daeyeol. His eyes were watery. “I don’t really remember you and our memories.” He confessed. “But Im sure that Im gonna miss you so much.” He stuttered.

In less than a second, he was pulled into a tight hug. Daeyeol’s arms wrapped around his frail body. The warmth from the embrace really made him comfortable that he didn’t want to pull away.

“On what time is your flight?” he asked.

“At three.”

“That’s less than an hour. You should go now. Do you have your passport prepared? Luggage?”

Daeyeol chuckled while pulling away. His face was wet with tears. “You never change, hyung. Are you going to be okay if I leave now?” he asked.

“Um I don’t know.” Sungyeol hesitated. “Just give me the key and address and I’ll be fine.”

“Are you sure?”

“No.”

Right on the cue, the door opened, revealing someone familiar to them.

“I happen to be free for the next few hours. Do you need help, Daeyeol-shi, Sungyeol-shi?”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Kill me for the super short update -.-

I'm really rushing. Sorry.