Chapt 1 ; I Hear Your Voice

Do You Hear Me?

Here is the very first chapter!

Do comment after reading.

 Please mention if there is any grammar mistake or something’s wrong with my writing style.

 I’ll try to fix it.

 

Chapter one ; I Hear Your Voice

 the inner thoughts that Myungsoo hear.

Myungsoo’s own inner thoughts.

 

The police office was unusually quiet like that day. The young man stepped inside and found some desks empty. He glanced at one of the desk with the name ‘Nam Woohyun’ on it. The chair was unoccupied and some files scattered on the desk. Empty cups of Starbucks coffee building a mountain in the trash bin. That inspector must have stayed in the office again last night, he guessed. There must be a new case, or a case needs to be solved as soon as possible.

The jet black hair soundly put down his bag on his own desk and lazily sat on the chair.

It has been a week after he started working at the station but he still didn’t get any case. Since he was freshly graduated, everyone literally thought that he wasn’t capable for anything yet. Even for the interrogation.

The reason was simple, he was still young and has no experience at all.

The seniors didn’t mention it though, but he knew it himself. He just knew.

“Hey, Kim Myungsoo.”

A boy entered the office with a thick black file in his embrace. The young man whose name Myungsoo looked up and raised his eyebrows.

“Hi, Sungjong.” Myungsoo greeted back the office boy. “Where is everyone?”

“This case is actually two weeks ago but postponed until today. They are having meeting right now and expecting you to join them in five minutes. Here.” Sungjong handed him the file. “Congratulations for the first case of yours.”

Myungsoo showed a perplexed expression. “For real? My case?”

Omo that confused look. I cannot!

Myungsoo suddenly smirked. Oh, am I that cute?

“You’re not kidding right?”

Sungjong smiled and shook his head. “No, silly. It is really your case. Chief Inspector Nam Woohyun decided to give this case for you to handle. Don’t worry. You’ll have Dongwoo for assistance.”

Myyungsoo slowly nodded, eyes fixed to the file he was holding. First case huh?

“Alright. Meeting room it is.”

He then left for the meeting room after saying thank you to the office boy.

 

“Kim Sungkyu, 26 years old, a director of Kim Group, died on 9:34 pm due to excessive blood loss. Autopsy was carried out and we found that there was a deep wound on his stomach, probably being stabbed by a 20cm long knife. His head was badly injured, reportedly being hit by a big blunt heavy object. We believe that the killer hit his head with a hammer.”

Myungsoo’s small hawk-like eyes focused on the picture shown on the wide white screen.

A picture of a man in white working shirt lied lifelessly on the ground. The white shirt was stained with dark red liquid all over his body. The injury on his head was evidence. It was bloody that he couldn’t take a good look on that face.

The meeting room was dark and silent. Everyone focused on the picture being projected one by one listened carefully to Woohyun’s briefing.

The picture changed. There was another person showed on the screen. The police officers inside the meeting room could see clearly that the picture was taken in a hospital. The person was lying on a hospital bed. He looked fine, as if he was just sleeping except that his head was bandaged.

“Another victim, Lee Sungyeol. 23 years old, owns a café. He was with Kim Sungkyu during the attack. Serious injury on the head, believed to being hit by a heavy object. We believe that he was attacked by same weapon used on Sungkyu. He was in comatose for two weeks and Seoul Hospital reported that he gained consciousness last night. He was the only witness for this murder case.”

Lee Sungyeol.

Myungsoo stared at the picture. The person looked calm as if he was only sleeping, resting, shutting down this tiring world. The chubby cheeks caught Myungsoo’s attention.

Found you.

 

 

“Do you think it is about revenge?”

Myungsoo’s gaze that was initially fixed to the road moved to see the dino looking inspector who was driving. They were both wearing casual clothes, except that they wore their official nametags. Myungsoo read the nametag. Jang Dongwoo.

“What makes you think so, Dongwoo hyung?”

The senior shrugged. “Kim Sungkyu was rich. Lee Sungyeol is beautiful. I know it’s only an assumption but who knows.”

Such a waste that Sungkyu guy died. They could make some cute babies.

Myungsoo suddenly burst into laughter. Seriously?! Okay that cute thought wasn’t supposed to come from that slightly stern looking police officer like Dongwoo. What was he? A fanboy?

“Yah you weirdo. Why are you suddenly laughing. Something is on my face?” he asked bewilderedly.

Myungsoo quickly shook his head and stop laughing. “Nothing.” He replied.

Dongwoo, not being in the mood to conversing with the new kid, continued focusing on the road. They were heading to Seoul Hospital, where Lee Sungyeol being treated. They need to find that young man as soon as possible so they could close the case sooner. The murderer was still free out there. Lee Sungyeol’s life is still in danger.

Myungsoo looked out the window, watching the blue sky.

It is a big world, that we are too small to explore every side of it. There are thing we don’t know, because we really aren’t supposed to know. There are things that I shouldn’t know but I have the ability to find it out.

I could hear your inner voice.

16 years ago, I was caught in an accident because of my own foolishness. If it wasn’t because of an angel who risked his life to save me, I might not be here until today. After that day, my world became busier than ever. My world split into two. No matter what I do, I couldn’t stop it. I kept on hearing thoughts even those that hurt me.

 

Seoul Specialist Hospital

Myungsoo and Dongwoo went straight to room number 14 as they were told earlier by Woohyun. It was one of the wards for VIPs, all expenses cleared up by Mr and Mrs Kim.

When they entered the room, they were greeted by the scent of lavender and all white decorations.

“I have never been in a VIP ward before.” Dongwoo said, barely a whisper.

Myungsoo chuckled by the joke. He knew very well that VIP wards were expensive and it would be a waste for people like them to have one. The usual ward was already okay for them, though sometimes it would be crowded.

It was quiet. The television was turned off, and also the AC. The bed wasn’t really neat, though. Even the doctors said the patient’s current situation would need him to be under doctor’s intensive care.

“He wouldn’t be leaving, right?” Dongwoo asked, indirectly voicing out Myungsoo’s inner thought.

“Nope.” Myungsoo responded as his eyes scanned the whole room. Twelve white tulips leaned freshly inside a tall glass vase on a table near the bed. He had a visitor, or visitors. “Maybe he went out for some fresh air. He got visitor.” Motioned at the flowers.

“Oh.”

They both stood by the door awkwardly, not knowing what to do since the main subject wasn’t there in the room. Dongwoo broke the awkward moment by turning around and walked out the room.

“We shall look for him. I’ll look for him at the canteen. Pretty sure he’s there because he wouldn’t like hospital food.” He said confidently and walked away.

“I’ll go look for him at the garden.”

 

Myungsoo walked fast towards the garden. There were a lot of patients taking strolls. He mentally admired how beautiful the garden was. Many types of flowers blooming, filling the place with different colors. This was how a hospital should be like. A beautiful place, where the colors could help the patients healed faster.

Not far from him, he saw someone sitting on a wheelchair. The person remained unmoving on his spot, staring at the flowers. The white milky skin glowed under the sun. He walked towards the person.

“Ehem.”

The person on the wheelchair turned and looked up to him. Myungsoo wasn’t expecting to be greeted a pair of brown orbs that reflected the sunlight. They were shining and Myungsoo was speechless for a few seconds. Damn. They were much more beautiful than the last time he saw them.

“Excuse me?”

A gentle and soft voice brought him back to reality. Embarrassed, he fished out his wallet from his pocket. His eyes went everywhere but Sungyeol in process. He opened the wallet, showing his id card that was inside the wallet. “I’m Inspector Kim Myungsoo from Seoul Police Department.”

Sungyeol blinked at him, clueless. Damn he looked so cute doing that.

It was convenient that there was a bench near Sungyeol’s wheelchair so he sat down there. “Don’t be afraid, you didn’t commit any crime.” He said reassuring the latter.

Sungyeol exhaled heavily, a sign of relief.

“Are you alone?”

Sungyeol shook his head. “No. My brother is here, but he went for the toilet. I feel bad for him. He flew all the way from California to here just to see me.” He sincerely said. “So, what makes you come here to see me?” he asked politely. “I’m not sure if I can help that much.”

Myungsoo smiled. “I’m sure you can. I just need you to tell me more about Kim Sungkyu.”

“Kim Sungkyu?” He tilted his head. Myungsoo could see clearly that Sungyeol’s eyes twitched upon hearing the name.

“Yes, Kim Sungkyu.”

My heart is beating so fast upon hearing his name.

“Sungyeol-shi?”

Sungyeol looked at Myungsoo, eyes big. “I’m sorry, but I don’t remember having a friend named Kim Sungkyu.”

I really want to know who is he.

Myungsoo looked at Sungyeol, disbelieving what he had heard earlier. No, it can’t be!

“A-are you sure?”

Sungyeol looked down on his lap and bit his lower lip. His delicate hand found its way towards his chest. “Honestly, my heart is beating fast when I hear that name, as if he is someone special to me. But, I can’t remember him. Are we even related?”

He looked up to Myungsoo, eyes sparkling with hope. “Can I see him anytime soon?”

No, he’s dead.

Myungsoo wanted to say that loud but he didn’t want be cruel.

“I’m not sure about that.” He said, trying hard to look unsure.

“Oh.” Sungyeol’s expression turned dark, and Myungsoo didn’t like that at all.

He leaned closer to Sungyeol. “Is there anything you remember before the incident?”

Sungyeol was silent for minutes.

I’m going to get you.

“Sorry I don’t.” He responded, eyes avoiding Myungsoo’s.

Myungsoo was about to ask more when another voice was heard.

“Sungyeol hyung!”

Both Myungsoo and Sungyeol turned to the source of voice. There was a young man half running towards them.

Sungyeol smiled. “Daeyeol-ah! What took you so long?” He pouted.

“I’m sorry.” Daeyeol said, imitating Sungyeol’s pout. “There were a lot of people lining up. Is this your friend? Never see him before. Hi, I’m Lee Daeyeol, Sungyeol’s younger brother.” He bowed politely.

“I’m Inspector Kim Myungsoo, from Seoul Police Department.”

Daeyeol looked bewildered. Oh no. Sungyeol hyung shouldn’t know about Sungkyu hyung’s death yet!

“Oh I remember you! The airport guy!” he suddenly exclaimed happily.

Okay now it was Myungsoo’s turn to be bewildered. Airport guy?!

Even Sungyeol gave Daeyeol a look. “Yeol seriously?”

“Myungsoo hyung don’t you remember me? We have a lot to catch up. Meet me at the hospital’s café in fifteen minutes. Sungyeol hyung, let me take you to your room. It’s getting cold here.” Daeyeol said with one breathe. Without waiting for Myungsoo’s answer, he started pushing Sungyeol’s wheelchair, leaving Myungsoo.

But before leaving Myungsoo, Daeyeol managed to give him this one meaningful hidden look that Sungyeol didn’t notice. Myungsoo instantly understood that Daeyeol wanted to talk to him privately.

Save me.

Myungsoo turned around, hearing a voice. Wasn’t it Sungyeol’s voice?

I don’t feel safe for some reasons but I couldn’t tell anyone including Daeyeol. Anyone, help me. Do you hear me? Jebal, save me!