The First Snow

TaeJin One Shots and Drabbles

Rating: G

Word Count: 923

Summary:

Kid-verse in which Seok Jin is nine and Tae Hyung is six and they meet for the first time during the first snow of the year. 


 
Seok Jin watches from inside of his grandparent's mandu shop as the sky darkens ever so slightly and a flurry of snow begins to make its way down to the concrete of the sidewalks. He wants to go outside, but knows better than to run out without an adult and there are too many customers trying to seek shelter in their restaurant for him to think about bothering his grandparents or older brother who often works as a bus boy when things are busy. Instead he decides to watch, face pressed against the glass of their front window in a hopeless attempt to get as close to the action as he can get.
 
There's a boy who catches Seok Jin's eye being chased around by people he assumes to be his parents. He can hear his shrill screams of excitement and he can't help but smile if only because he wishes to be running around too.
 
He's caught staring almost instantly and the boy returns his gaze just before charging head first in his direction as if ready to ram right through the glass. Seok Jin takes a step back afraid of the impending doom his curious eyes seemed to have garnered but is surprised when the boy stops right at his window still staring. He raises a hand as a greeting and is returned with a toothy grin and a smooshed face against the glass.
 
"Hooy I'm Ta Yoong." he says against the glass as he continues with the silly faces he makes.  
 
"What?" Seok Jin asks with a slight smile, taking a step forward and pressing his ear against the window.
 
"I'm Tae Hyung! Hi!" 
 
Seok Jin jumps back covering his ear as he waits for the ringing to subside. "Umm...hi." he finally replies as he  presses his hand back onto the window.
 
"It's snowing!" Tae Hyung yells as if Seok Jin is partially deaf or he thinks the glass is so thick that it requires such a loud volume of speech. 
 
"I know." Seok Jin replies the smile on his face growing slightly with every second this strange kid stands before him. 
 
"Do you not like snow?!" 
 
"I-I do! Who doesn't like snow?" 
 
"Lizards! and dinosaurs because they're cold blooded and dinosaurs died because of the cold you know."
 
Flustered, Seok Jin can only blink in response before turning his head where he meets eyes with his brother who looks amused if anything as he holds onto a bucket of dishes. 
 
"Hey kid! You wanna play outside with me?" Tae Hyung calls taking Seok Jin's attention again.
 
He hesitates before he speaks, "I can't I have to have a grown up with me or my hyung and..."
 
"Yeah he can play." Seok Jin's brother finishes for him as he ruffles his hair. "Just give us a second okay?"
 
Seok Jin fidgets with his sleeves and looks at Tae Hyung who looks too excited. As if they'd been old friends meeting again after years of absence of one anothers company. He turns to look towards the door of the kitchen where his brother had disappeared into before deciding to open the entrance and ask if Tae Hyung and his parents want to come in for a little bit while they wait for his brother. Which they do and without the window that separates the two Seok Jin feels the intimidating aura that Tae Hyung has that he hadn't fully felt earlier.
 
"Woah you're actually bigger compared to when I was looking at you from the window." Tae Hyung says as he stands staring up at Seok Jin. "What's your name by the way kid? How old are you? Was that your brother? Is he coming out soon? Is this your restaurant?"
 
Tae Hyung's father has to pull him away as Seok Jin takes in all the questions that are thrown at him. He fumbles with the words that come out of his mouth, but he gets them out either way. "I-I umm I'm Seok Jin. I'm nine. Yeah that was my hyung and he should be coming out soon I think and no it's not mine it's my grandparents restaurant." he takes in a breath. It's hard keeping up with Tae Hyung Seok Jin thinks but admittedly he likes his energy. 
 
"I was given a break so we can go now." Seok Jin's brother says as he stands behind him hands on his shoulders.
 
"You're really big too! You're almost as big as my dad! So you have to be over six feet tall." Tae Hyung states matter of factly. "Some day I'll be that tall too and I'll probably be big enough to ride the big kid rides at Lotte World since they said I'm not big enough yet. By the way I'm six so you're not that much older than me Seok Jin hyung. It's okay if I call you that right? We're friends now right?"
 
Seok Jin tries to keep up but ends up nodding in a way that makes it seem like he knows what it is Tae Hyung is trying to tell him but really it all sounds so jumbled that he can barely understand what he's saying as his brother helps him put on his jacket and scarf. When he's all bundled up though Tae Hyung takes his hand and drags him outside continuing his chatter about how they can go to the park and ride the swings and play tag and catch snowflakes on their tongues to commemorate the first snow of the year.