Back

Love and its Opposite

Back

 

Three weeks. Three weeks had passed since he had last seen Yoona. A week ago, later that day, when Taehyung went on a date with Sana, he found out from Jimin that Yoona had been actually living at her boyfriend’s complex. Jimin comfronted him, that the move in was spontanous and that even Yoona was surprised by her boyfriend’s proposal. A long-term couple to be living under one roof; that was a completely natural ocassion, right? Yet, Taehyung couldn’t help it, but feel his heart bleed painfully.

He wondered, if she didn’t meet Jimin that day, would they ever get to hear from her anymore? She didn’t care to tell him goodbye or even just explain him her current situation through a call. It hurt. It hurt, because until now, he thought he was at least a little special to her.

Jimin did tell him, that she didn’t intend to stay at her boyfriend’s place permanently, but it was hard to believe. Why would she return to the old apartment, when there was nothing important left over there, right…?

Taehyung’s insticts were right. When he spotted a white Minicooper in front of the building on the Wednesday afternoon, the backseat loaded with carton boxes, his heartbeat quickened as he rushed to his floor by stairs, almost tripping on one of steps.

And there she stood, real and live. She was wearing an oversized plaid shirt, but that couldn’t hide her thin body from his eyes. Her legs were so skinny, it bothered him.

„Yoona…?“

„Taehyung…“ she finally turned to him. In a blink of an eye, she was already shutting down the distance between them, but as she was about to hug him, Taehyung pushed her arms away. Her face scrunched in bewilderment and it hurt him seeing her hurt like that, but that was nothing compared to what he had to deal with the past weeks.

„After weeks of ignoring me and everyone else… you are moving out? For real? Why…?!“ He spit out.

„Taehyung, let me explain. Let’s talk in your room,“ she held his hands in hers. Taehyung sighed and slowly nodded.

He followed her back immediately, closer than necessary, scared that she would disappear out of his sight again.

He opened the door quietly and let her step inside first.

„Sit down,“ he said and was surprised by the sharpness coming out of his throat. He was always sweet around her, but this was what she deserved, right? Not contacting him… Ignoring him… His harsh behaviour was fair, right?

Yoona sat down next to him on the sofa, her back straight as she directly stared at his eyes.

„Jimin told you, didn’t he?“

He nodded and waited for what else she had to say.

„He told you, that I moved in with Sanghyuk, right? That I’ve been busy with schedule and all the events, right?“

„He did,“ Taehyung replied, impatient of the words, he had already heard from his friend.

„But that wasn’t all.“

„What…?“ The word slipped out in a breathy way. Why was she wearing such a worried face?

„That day, when I met Jimin at the gas station, I realized how rude it was of me to ignore you… Once I had free time, I drove to your place, because I wanted to see you. I was about to take the elevator, when I saw Jungkook coming out of them. He told me he decided to go home, because Sana was in your room and he didn’t want to in … So I did the same. I left.“

„Sana and I…“

„You two are dating right now, right? I thought I would be happy for you, but… It felt weird, Taehyung! My heart was aching, I was so confused.“

His pupils grew round like a full moon and his hands became sweaty, blood running in the system faster than ever. Was she speaking truth? Was she jealous of Sana?

„Yoona…“ He watched her face intently. His hand reached her hair, fixing the strands covering her face. Bewilderment jumped out of his heart, when he spotted her instantly blushing face. 

„I was careful not to mention Sanghyuk in front of you anymore, because I knew you disliked him. I thought I was doing all of that for you, because I didn’t want to annoy you. The true reason behind that… I understand it now. This whole time, I was greedy. I didn’t want to get at you, because no one wants a person they like to hate them, right?“

„A person they like…“

„Taehyung, I don’t know since when I started to feel like this. But one I know for sure… I like you.“

He couldn’t believe her words. They sounded too good to be true. But the shining eyes of hers were staring into his so intently, so straightforwardly, that it could be nothing else but truth. He felt like he was about to die of heart palpilation.

„You can reject me now.“

„What?!“ He almost jumped of the couch. The girl was full of confusion.

„Please tell me that you don’t feel the same so that I can move on… being with Sanghyuk, but thinking about you at the same time… Isn’t that the same as cheating? He doesn’t deserve that. I don't want to do that to him.“

„Stop, Yoona,“ he said. And here it was again – Sanghyuk, Sanghyuk, Sanghyuk. Always talking about him. But- she had just confessed to him! Taehyung couldn’t lose this battle, especially when he had Yoona now on his side.

He cupped her hands in his and he could feel her twitch in surprise.

„Yoona, I’m the last person, who could reject you. Because, for a long, long time I’ve felt the same about you.“

Her eyes blinked several times in bewilderment, leaning backwards, further from the boy. But his body protested, instead he pulled her into his chest, embracing her tightly. He couldn’t let her go. Not anymore. Her hands were hanging in the air, not reciprocating the touch, but it was okay.

„I really, really like you. Please go out with me,“ the words that he had kept locked in the deepest part of his mind were finally escaping. It was so easy for him to speak up now. It was as if her confession gave him the ultimate boost.

So soft, he thought as he burried his nose deeper into the crook of her neck, the scent of her hair invading into his system.

Suddenly, her arms pushed him away.

„No, Taehyung. We can’t do it.“

„Why? We like each other, it’s natural to date, right? Why are you hesitating? Is it my age?“

„No! B-but, how about Sana? Would you be willing to break up with her? And what about me and Sanghyuk? I have developed feelings for you, but I still love him!“

„I know I’m not famous like Sanghyuk nor as rich as him, but I assure you, I will do my best. I want to take care of you, make you smile… Give me a chance... I can make you happy,“ he cupped her face gently and for the first time, she reacted to his touch positively, leaning more into his palm, closing her eyes momentarily. A sigh then escaped her lips.

„I won’t break up with him, Taehyung. I’m sorry. The truth is that I feel helpless. What if my affection towards you is just temporare? I don’t want to leave everything I had with Sanghyuk behind.“

The words stung. They really did. What could he do now? What should he do? He couldn’t push her to something she clearly didn’t want. He had to embrace her decision and deal with it.

„I should go now. I have something to do,“ she broke the uncomfortable silence and stood up, already making her way towards the door. Her body suddenly halted, when he grabbed her wrist. As soon as she turned around, wrinkles appeared on her forehead. His face looked so wrecked, so hurt. But what was the worst out of all of that, was that the cause behind this pain was her.

„You have rejected me and I understand that. Even though it hurts like hell. So can we return back to our previous relationship? I don’t want to lose our friendship.“

She nodded. „It might be difficult, but I can do that. I don’t want to lose you entirely either. But how about you? Can you just forget about all of this? Can you suppress your romantic feelings towards me?“

„Yoona, I’ve been doing that since very first the moment I met you. I can handle it.“

Whether it was his words or his bittersweet smile, the stab into her heart hurt so much.

„It’s the deal,“ and with those words, she slowly disappeared from his sight. Everything became blurry. Drip drip.

 


Author's note: Sorry for the wait, everyone, I had a writing block... I have to try harder to make this story better! Comments are gretly appreciated :)