down the midnight road

neck deep

tumblr_nl5u4dNvo01r0couto2_250.png tumblr_inline_nm5sjlp6LM1rcn02m_540.png
taehyun (winner) & wendy (redvelvet)

People tell him he drives too recklessly and one day, sooner or later, the cops will make him pull up for speeding or he'd find himself trap into his own car as he tumbles down the side of a hill or he'd be looking down on his corpse that was still strapped against the driver's seat, courtesy of his seatbelt. 

He'd always wave them off, he'd always laugh and say that he won't, because it's true. Taehyun doesn't drive that reckless all the time, because most of the time, Seungwan would be beside him, her hand on his as she sits on the passenger seat, telling him of things he didn't need to know, but he liked it either way because he could hear her voice, and he had always liked her voice. 

This time she isn't talking, because she's fast asleep and curled up like a ball beside him and a Davichi song is playing, filling up the silence in the car. She had always liked Davichi and Mino felt betrayed to the core when he found out Taehyun lets Seungwan play her music in his car, but absolutely does not allow for Mino to play his.

"I don't even know you anymore, Tae. You're not - God, do you really like her that much?!" 

"Her music is more tolerable compared to your's. You can never rap like Eminem, Mino, let's face it." 

Seungwan wakes up a little later, and when she complains that it's too cold, his hand is directly on the button of the AC to turn it off. They pass a road sign that says "SEOUL 45" and Taehyun feels relieved because he's been driving for two straight hours under 120 kmph and all that could save him from falling into frustration was to go back home and lie on his bed, preferably with Seungwan by his side. 

"Good night," 

Taehyun turns to look at her, and he cracks a smile at the view of her grinning at him, eyes closed and droopy - a total opposite from the wide smile she showed him. 

"Good sleep?"

"The best." she stretches her arms, and yawns. "It's your turn." 

Taehyun raises an eyebrow at her.

Seungwan has her eyes open now and she does look re-energized because even under the dim light of the car, her face is glowing and her eyes are as alert and wide as ever. "To sleep. You haven't had any rest for the past eight hours, you should rest."

"But we're almost -"

"Let me drive." 

Taehyun breaks out laughing because why wouldn't he? She sounded so demanding, that it was so unlike the girl he wanted to date in the first place. When he turns to her for a second or two, hands still on the wheel, she has this serious expression on that makes him want to burst out laughing again.

"You're joking."

"I'm not, you let me drive the car back in Busan. Why not now?" she frowns, or rather, pouts at him. "I'm being considerate here, Nam Taehyun.  Let me drive, so you can rest."

"But -"

"It's not like I don't know how," she says, leaning in closer to him. "You said yourself I was a good driver!"

"Yeah, still -"

"Taehyun," her hand is on his shoulder, but it doesn't stay there for long. She places a finger on his cheek, poking it repeatedly. "Don't you trust me?" 

It wasn't really a matter of trust, or maybe, it was but Taehyun doesn't let anybody drive his car - not his family, not his friends, not even Seungwan. That was one time, in Busan, when he had no choice and he told her to bring the car over to where he was at. He let her drive that one time, or maybe it was twice, because he agreed for her to drive him back to their hotel. But still -

"I'll do aegyo."

The car swerves to the left as his heart stops for a moment there and a Toyota passes by them, honking loudly. Taehyun gulps and shakes his head. "No need to go that far, Seungwan - "

"God, don't be so surprised. I do have aegyo, and you know it." 

Although Taehyun likes gentle girls preferably with aegyo, Seungwan stood out so much to him with her blonde hair and weird Seoul accent that he couldn't make himself get back up at the hole he fell into, a hole that was Son Seungwan. He fell for her, and the rest had been history. He had never really seen her in action, that said, he can't even recall the last time she acted cute. 

So Taehyun inhales a deep breath before looking over at her. "Fine, do it. I bet you can't even -"

The car jerks forward and swerves to the left again, and he was completely sold. 

 

Taehyun hadn't realize how tired he was and he was somewhat amazed at how Seungwan sensed it before he did. When they exchanged seats, with Seungwan seemingly happy more than embarrassed about it, Taehyun felt his body relax as he placed his seatbelt on and when he leaned against the chair, he wasn't even worried that Seungwan was driving because when he closed his eyes, he slipped into dreamland right away. 

 

At some point, Taehyun woke up and he remembers that he was supposed to be driving. Panicked, he bolted upright but the seatbelt held him back and refrained him from doing so. He groaned, feeling strained. When he realized he was in the passenger seat, he looked to his left and found Seungwan laughing. She looked calm, and serene, and she was so good at driving the late-night highway that Taehyun leaned back against the seat and just watched her drive.

She didn't slouch like he did. She sat upright, eyes on the road, both hands on the wheel. She'd talk to him but wouldn't look at him, not even from the corner of her eyes. She had this small, subtle smile on her face through and through and the speed never went over 90 kmph. She made it stay in between 88 and 89. Most of her attention was on her driving, and less of it was on Taehyun and it made him smile in amusement. 

A song played from the stereo and Taehyun didn't know what song it was but Seungwan with her eyes still focused on the road ahead, told him it was a Super Junior song.

"Midnight blues," she said.

He leaned his head against the head-rest and smiled. "This is relaxing," 

Her smile widens and for the first time since he woke up, she takes a second or two to look at him before looking forward again. "You should let me drive more."

"No way."

"I'll do more aegyo."

"... I'll think about it." 

 

The shock registered a second later after Taehyun said the words, and Seungwan stood up from the table, beaming. "I'll go and order for you guys." and she practically had a skip in her step as she walked away. 

Mino and Seungyoon sat before him, mouths open and jaw hanging while Jinwoo calmly sipped on his glass of water as beside him, Seunghoon just laughed and shook his head. Mino was the first to recover, and by then Jinwoo had finished half of his glass. "Not surprised," he stated.

Taehyun smiles before looking at Mino's riled up face, finding amusement in the way his close friend looked at him like he was about to kill him right then and there in the cafe. "You love her, man. You do. God, I just can't believe you right now."

"You let her drive your Rolls-Royce?! And not me?!" Seungyoon said, practically shrieking.  

Taehyun chuckles, and thinks to himself that Mino might be right about his statement, and even if he wasn't, Taehyun would step in and say that he was, indeed, more in love with Son Seungwan now than he had ever been.