Chapter 4

[Discontinued; Story outline and ending posted] Unlocking Hidden Affection

A/N of 4/9/2010:  So, um.  This is what, two weeks later?  To tell the truth, I started this on March 29th.  Honest.  I even have the date written down!
Then I got distracted with my singing projects and school and so UHA was temporarily stuck in my backpack, forgotten.
But I’m determined to write this chapter and post today (This weekend)! 

A/N of 4/4/2010:  Yesterday, the news about the Japanese activity suspension came out.  I don’t know about you guys but I decided when I found out about the lawsuit to support them always, solo or as five.  No matter what, I’ll believe in them. 

A/N of 4/18/2010: Um.  Fail? D:  LOL.  I think I got like, two sentences down last time.  And I probably won’t finish it today either… Sorry D:  Testing is coming up and then finals next month… I’m in danger zone in two of my classes right now.  Stressful months until summer. ):

-----Chapter 4:

    They sat around a rectangular table in a conference room located in the SM Entertainment building.  The manager sat at the end of the table, a folder and a small pile of papers scattered before him.  JaeJoong and Yunho sat on one side of the table while Yoochun, Changmin, and Junsu were on the other side.


    “Your concept this time around will involve children.  Unlike the ‘Balloons’ concept, it will be a much more mature approach.
    “Before we begin the actual photo-shoot, you five will be helping out at the Private Elementary school in Seoul for a month.  The intention is to help the interactions between yourselves and the children become more natural.


    “Taking care of children is hard work.  As a father of two, I can assure you that any bad habit displayed in front of them will be immediately picked up-- Especially since they’re at the fragile age range of three to five.”


    The manager’s calm and gentle expression surprised all five of the members.  It was as if someone had replaced the strict, hard-working man with someone else completely different.


    They continued to discuss the upcoming month amongst themselves as the manager left, screaming and sleeping children being the image in their heads.  It would be easy enough to care for kindergarteners… Much easier than facing 800,000 Cassiopeians of their fan club.


    Oh, how wrong they were.


-----


    Reina squinted as the sun’s rays peeked through its hiding spot in the clouds.  Today was the day she was to enroll Jin Ri into the elementary school in Seoul.


    “Mommy, look, it’s a playground!  It’s so much bigger than the ones in the village!” Jin Ri was shouting happily.  “And look-- the swings, Mommy!  Can I go play on them?”


    Reina smiled at her daughter before lowering herself down to the five year-old’s height.


    “Mommy has to go into the school, so maybe afterwards, okay?” she explained, patting Jin Ri’s head and standing back up.  She head her hand to her daughter.  “Let’s go.”


    But the child had other ideas.  Refusing to take her mother’s hand, she started to back away towards the playground.  “I want to play Mommy!” she was whining.


    “Jin Ri…” Reina began, her voice turning stern.  “I can’t let you stay out here by yourself.  It’s too dangerous!”


    “B-but…” Jin Ri whimpered.


    “I could watch her for you if you didn’t mind,” a man’s voice sounded from behind Reina.  She turned around, startled.  A young man, most likely no older than herself, stood there, a charming smile on his face.  His hair was cut in an odd yet fashionable way and his angled eyes were flowing with charisma.  In great contrast to his features, he was dressed formally, in a suit and tie.


    “Um--” Reina began lamely.


    “I’m here to take a tour of the school, but I’d rather get used to the feeling of taking care of children.  It’d be a good experience,” he explained.


    “Are you…” Reina hesitated, “an expecting father?”  The man let out a slight chuckle, the sound one-of-a-kind.


    “No, nothing like that.  I guess you could call me a…” he made an uncertain face, “teacher’s aid?  I’ll be helping out here for the next month or so.”


    Reina nodded in understanding.  However, she couldn't push away the fact that she was in Seoul, not in the safe little isolated village.  Years had changed her but she still remembered watching the news at night with her parents back when they were alive.  The daily reports of kidnappings, ransomings, homocides, and robberies... it all came with living in the crowded capital of a rapidly growing nation.  It was better to play it safe, no matter how genuine the man seemed.  Her role as a mother came above everything else.

    "Though I appreciate the offer... I really think it'd be better for my daughter to come with me." Reina motioned towards Jin Ri who reluctantly returned to her mother's side.  "Thank you though."  She smiled politely at the man.

   "If you're sure," the man said, glancing at the child.  Reina held out her hand to her daughter who took it without argument.  Jin Ri knew it would be useless to try.

   As Reina and Jin Ri walked towards the administration building, the mother could feel the mysterious man's eyes following them.  The sense of familiarity was gone but she knew it had been there when she saw his eyes.  What was so vague that she couldn't even pinpoint its origin in her mind yet so important that it stood out in her memory?


-----End of Mini-Chapter

A/N 5/9/2010- I can't believe myself.  I TOLD myself to work on it, EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.  But sometimes, I had schoolwork, other times I was busy talking to my friends on MSN and trying to convert her over to TVXQ.  But I never had any thought of dropping this fanfic.  (Lie).  Okay, I've THOUGHT about it.  But I know I'd never go through with it.  I'd never forgive myself if I did.

I decided to shorten up this chapter immensely because, chances are, if I didn't, you guys wouldn't see any chapters until July.

I’ll be on vacation for four weeks in Taiwan, from the 26th of this month to July 2nd.  I plan to work on writing while I’m in Taiwan.  Hopefully, this plan doesn’t backfire like the plan-to-finish-this-chapter the past month.  I’m REALLY.  Really.  Sorry.
REALLY!!
I’m pleased to announce that I have the most terrible and brief outline done though.  I just have to get through the beginning rewrite chapters… but honestly, it’s getting terribly hard to keep to the original.  I’m going to have to mess it up a bit.

So, this is my, most likely, last update until July.  If all goes well, I’ll have at least a few chapters done when I get back.  Summer, I really WILL work on this!  Finals are coming up, wish me luck!  X____x;

-Really, really, sorry for the terrible update-