Operation: Match Made Part 1

We Aren't So Different After All

"Oh my god, you can't be serious right now!" A pause amplified the tension in the air between the two friends. "Are you? Are you really? What the Baekhyun, I thought you liked me..."

Chanyeol faked his tears, hiding behind a hoodie sleeve that was too big, even for him. Baekhyun only shrugged, keeping the grin on his face. "It's for the best. I know how much you like him." Baekhyun downed some cheap beer and put the empty glass back on the table. Good thing he was a good drinker, or else this idiot would have gotten him drunk by now. "Plus, even Kyungsoo's behind this idea."

"I trusted you! I trusted both of you! And this is how you're repaying me?" Chanyeol put his head down on the table and continued to pretend to bawl to get the other patrons of the bar to take pity on him. Baekhyun saw right through his plan and already explained to the bartender what was going to be going on later that night and to pay it no mind when his friend got emotional for no reason. He did have to admit that he thought it was cute what an emotional drunk Chanyeol was.

"Here, I'll talk to him tomorrow to be sure." Baekhyun rubbed his eye and stretched. It's been too long since he's been out drinking with one of them. Everyone has been busy doing everything, and Baekhyun doesn't have the time to bother them about it until it happens. All he really has right now for drinking buddies are Chanyeol and Minseok. He's not going out drinking with Kyungsoo just in case he breaks their promise they made last week and makes out with him in front of the whole bar. He's really at a loss, but at least the two who can go drinking with him are the ones that he's trying to set up. "But, if Minseok is down with the idea of going on a date with you, then you will man up and go on that date, y'hear me?"

Chanyeol looked up, snivelling despite not actually crying and nodded. "I absolutely hate you right now."

"But you're gonna go on a date with Minseok if he says yes, right?" Baekhyun said, raising an eyebrow and smiling widely at his incredibly drunk dongsaeng.

"If it'll make you stop being mean, then sure...." Chanyeol said before standing up. "I'll go pay and we can go home."

"Ah, ah, ah." Baekhyun wiggled his finger at Chanyeol, making the younger man pout. "You're not paying, I will. I remember the last time you said you were paying, and then you just ran out the door."

"Hyung, please, I won't do it again!" Baekhyun stood up and wrapped Chanyeol's arm around his shoulders. Though he's gotten Chanyeol to promise he'll man up and go on a date, he doesn't want to see him hurt by trying to pay for all of their drinks and walk home drunk. "Baekhyun, please.... I'll be good!"

"I know you will be, but now you're drunk, so I can't be sure you won't hurt yourself before your date." Baekhyun reached up and poked Chanyeol's nose. "I do care about your health and well-being, y'know?"

"You're the worst hyung to ever live." Chanyeol said before Baekhyun started leading him toward the front so they can leave.

"Me? I just admitted that I liked you and now you're saying that? How dare you?" Baekhyun asked, getting a whine from drunk Chanyeol on his shoulder. "Maybe I should just take you to Minseok's place right now and leave you at his doorstep for him to take care of you..."

"Yah, don't do anything rash." Chanyeol slurred, poking Baekhyun's cheek while he payed the bartender for their drinks. "I don't hate you that much."

"I know you don't, now let's get you home." Baekhyun said as he supported Chanyeol as they left the bar. This was going to be a fun ride trying to walk this bozo home without him hurting himself or accidently getting them into traffic.

Step one was complete for Operation: Match Made.

 

It was time for step two, and Baekhyun found his way to the coffee shop that Minseok owned and ran. It was quaint, in a place off the beaten path in one of the many alleys of Hongdae, perfect for a hiding place for someone who used to be a celebrity. Stepping inside, it smelled like coffee and vanilla and wonderful in all ways. "Hey, how can I help you?" A voice asked behind the counter before the two men locked eyes for the first time in months. "Oh, Baekhyun! Yo, I forgot you were still alive after your messy break up."

"Yeah, barely." Baekhyun shrugged and leaned on the counter. There was not a soul in the shop at the moment but the two friends, which was perfect for the plan. "But I'm seeing someone new and apparently I recieved my life back."

"Ooh, really? You'll have to tell me all about it." Minseok leaned away from the counter and started prepping an americano. "You want one too? It's on the house."

"Oh, then sure." Baekhyun leaned away from the counter and watched Minseok carefully. His coffee making looked like second nature now, compared to when he first opened the shop. Baekhyun could almost argue that Minseok's been doing this his whole life, despite knowing better. He was jealous of his hyung, he looked like he had everything under control in his life.

"Well, spill. I want to know who you're dating." Minseok said before putting down a cup of coffee in front of Baekhyun. It startled him, but he was able to compose himself in front of his hyung. Minseok raised an eyebrow at him and Baekhyun had to admit that his eyebrows were still perfect after all this time.

"Okay, Chanyeol set me up with Kyungsoo a couple weeks back-" Baekhyun was going to finish, but Minseok gasped loudly and disrupted his train of thought.

"Oh dude! I didn't know you were gay!" Minseok paused and looked at the ceiling, tapping his chin. "Well, I mean, I could guess, but you dating Taeyeon really threw me for a loop."

"Ha ha, very funny. That's not the point." Baekhyun said while Minseok finished his own coffee and led him to a table in the main part of the shop. They sat down across from each other and Baekhyun felt he had to get on with it. "Anyway, yes, I'm dating Kyungsoo."

"Y'know, I always thought you guys were cute." Minseok paused to drink some of his coffee. "But I can read it all over your face. That's not the reason you're here, either, huh?"

"Kyungsoo might have told me something interesting about you a couple days ago." Baekhyun said, getting raised eyebrows from Minseok. He smiled proudly knowing that he could blackmail Minseok into dating Chanyeol.

"Oh, really?" Minseok leaned on the table and smiled back at him. "I thought I was an open book, what more could you have learned about me?"

"That you have a crush on Chanyeol." Baekhyung sing-songed, getting a frown out of Minseok.

"I wasn't really keeping that a secret." Minseok said seriously.

"Then why haven't you gone on a date with the doof, huh?" Baekhyun asked playfully, purposely trying to get a rise out of his hyung. "He likes you too, y'know."

"Yeah, I know." Minseok said before sighing. He leaned back in his chair and looked up at the ceiling. "It's just. He's always so busy doing this or doing that and y'know having a good time with his life. Why would he want to date someone who's life is the same, day in and day out?"

"Well. I don't know." Baekhyun shrugged, not knowing the right words to say. "But he does like you and said that he would go on a date with you if you were also down to go on a date with him."

"Like, really? He would?" Minseok asked, looking shocked. Minseok seemed excited by this and it made Baekhyun happy that the two people he wanted to get together actually were interested in each other. "How do I know you're not tricking me?"

Baekhyun couldn't help his devilish smile. "I got him drunk and he admitted it." Baekhyun leaned forward. "You know how he gets when he's drunk. Honesty seems to be his number one policy, right next to 'make enough noise that people kick you out'."

"Well, yeah. I want to go on a date with him. Can you tell him that I'm free for dinner on Wednesday?" Minseok asked, getting a nod from Baekhyun. When he affirmed that he was going to, Minseok fist pumped into the air and happily yelled.

"Well, I need to go talk to Kyungsoo, and set up your date." Baekhyun stood up and grabbed his coffee. "Kyungsoo can get you a reservation at a fancy restaurant and I can get you a date to go with you there."

"I will always love you for this, if it goes well." Minseok stood up as well, and Baekhyun gave him a thumbs up.

"Who do you think you're talking to? I'm Byun Baekhyun! If I can seduce Kyungsoo, I can do anything!" With that, Baekhyun left the little coffee shop. He messaged Chanyeol right away about Minseok willing to go on a date with him, and step two of Operation: Match Made was completed. Next was to call Kyungsoo to tell him of his accomplishments.

"So you actually got it, huh?" Kyungsoo asked, sounding happy for him on the other side of the line.

"Yeah! Are you proud of me, baby?" Baekhyun asked, being happy and proud and overexcited for a lot of things.

"Yeah. Your baby's proud of you." Kyungsoo said. Baekhyun could have jumped for joy if not for one thing: He called Kyungsoo baby and Kyungsoo didn't seem to mind it. "So, do you need something for the date from me, baby?"

Now Kyungsoo's calling him baby? This is probably the best day of Baekhyun's life! He wanted to jump for joy and do everything he can for Kyungsoo to keep calling him a cute pet name like this. "You said you could get a fancy dinner reservation for two, didn't you?"

"Of course." Kyungsoo sounded like he was looking for something. "It's for Minseok and Chanyeol, right?"

"Unless you wanted to go on a date with me as well?" Baekhyun said, making Kyungsoo 'hm' on the other side of the line. If he can score another date with Kyungsoo stalking Chanyeol and Minseok, then his day will be made just like the first two steps of Operation: Match Made. 

"You want to watch them on their date to make sure it goes well?" Kyungsoo asked, making Baekhyun nod his head despite his boyfriend couldn't see it. "Okay, I'll get two reservations. I'll see you on Wednesday at 6, okay? I'll tell our soon-to-be boyfriends that their reservations will be for Wednesday at 6."

"Okay! I'll see you then!" Baekhyun said, making Kyungsoo giggle.

"See you then, baby." Kyungsoo said before hanging up. Baekhyun's day has been made on so many levels! He wonders if Kyungsoo really is okay with this, but he'll ask him the next time they see each other on Wednesday.

He's hit the jackpot.

 

(A/N: Part 2 is going to be the next chapter, which is Kyungsoo and Baekhyun watching Chanyeol and Minseok's date while trying to enjoy one of their own. It's going to be super awkward and they're going to have dumb costumes to hide themselves and it's going to be great~ Finally have the inspiration to keep working on this so uploads will be frequent for a while!)