The 49th Day -- written by orangekath

Shinhwa 17th Anniversary One-Shots

TITLE: The 49th day

AUTHOR: orangekath

PAIRING: Jindy

GENRE: angst, romance, fluff

DISCLAIMERS: The members are not mine (though I wish they were) so yeah you guys know about it.  I'm using the traditional belief in Korea (Shamanism, I think) that when someone died, his spirit will wander and the 49th day will be his final chance to say goodbye.

SUMMARY: You said you will never leave me. You said that you will always come back to me...

 

 

I promised I’d wait for you. I’m going to keep that promise till I breathe my last...


He sighed a deep sigh as his eyes wander at the sea of people walking the busy streets of Apgujong. It has been awhile since he last visited this place.

4 years? Or perhaps it has been more than that. The last time he walked this street was before him and Jin went to the States to pursue Jin’s dream of becoming a pilot.

Jin is a very ambitious man. Growing up from an average family, he wanted to give his parents and his future partner a life that he never had. A life that he has always dreamt.

And to the land with greener pasture, he decided to risk his fate and look for a better future.

4 years ago

“Please come with me Sunho yah,” Jin begged Sunho. “I need you there with me.”
Without hesitation, Sunho packed his bag and went with Jin to the States. That’s where he got the name Andy.

Sunho worked there as assistant nurse while Jin was studying to become a pilot. Jin also worked as a part time caregiver at the home where Andy was working.

Andy took up nursing in Korea so working as an assistant nurse in a home is easy for him. He didn’t need license to be an assistant nurse.

It was difficult for them at first because Jin and Andy doesn’t speak the language. But after a couple of months of working hard, they were able to communicate with the people around them.

They have also met good friends there. A couple named Eric And Steve. Both of them are Koreans born and raised in America. They met them at the cafe where Jin used to work as a bartender when Andy couldn’t find a nursing job because of the language problem. Eric and Steve taught Jin and Andy how to speak English properly.

Steve, whenever they’re together wants the younger men to call him by his Korean name, Hyesung. Both of them are a year older than Jin and Andy so they call them hyungs.
Jin and Andy always thought that they are very fortunate to have met such great friends. It’s like having a family by their side. They took care of the younger men and helped them find a better job.

Eric even helped Jin to enter the university to become a pilot. His ultimate dream.

But not all things go the way they actually plan. Sometimes, fate has other plans.

Two days before Jin’s first aviation test. They went to Las Vegas to celebrate. Finally, just one more test then he will become an official pilot. He will finally achieve his dreams.

They can finally go back to Korea and start anew.

“The place is really beautiful Jin,” Andy said to Jin

“But not as beautiful as you, Andy,” Jin said

“You’re so cheesy,” Andy replied but deep inside, his heart is fluttering.

Then suddenly Jin got down on his knees. I was speechless. My mind went blank. Is he going to do what I think he’s going to do?
“Andy, my dear Andy, from the moment I sat my eyes on you, I knew you’re the one for me. And you proved that I was right the day you decided to go with me here. I know it was difficult for you to stay here. I know you miss your family. You’ve sacrificed a lot to help me reach my dreams. And now that I am about to fulfill  my dreams, I cannot let it happen without the assurance that you will never leave me. I trust you Andy but I want more. I want you to be officially mine. Marry me Andy. Here, right now,” Jin said with tears in his eyes.

“Am I dreaming? Are you serious Jin?” Andy replied, voice trembling from emotions.

“I couldn’t be anymore serious. I want you to be mine,” Jin answered.

They got married that night.

The night before Jin’s test Andy became restless. He couldn’t put his finger on it but deep in his gut, he feels something is wrong.

“Do you really need to go? Can’t you postpone it. Take the next test,” Andy pleaded

“You know I can’t do that. I’ve been waiting for this for so long. Andy, finally, my dream is just within my reach. After this we can go back home,” Jin tried to console Andy.

But no words can make Andy feel better.

“I… I just don’t feel good about this. Can you take me with you?” Andy asked hoping Jin would say yes.

“Baby, I can’t. You know that,” Jin said smiling thinking he’s husband is cute.

“I’ll be quiet. I won’t disturb you. Please take me with you,” Andy said with voice trembling and about to cry which made Jin panic.

“What’s wrong baby? I love you Andy. You know that, right? I’m going to come back to you. There’s no place I’d rather be than where you are. You’re my home Andy. I will come back to you,. Trust me,” Jin said

“I know that but I don’t feel good about this,” Andy tried to reason again.

“I will be careful. I won’t make you worry. I promise you I will return to you,” Jin said

That night they made love as if it’s going to be the last time.

“What would you do if something happened to the plane that I’m piloting?” Jin asked Andy out of nowhere.

Andy dreaded that question. That question is exactly the reason why he wanted Jin to stay. Why he wanted Jin to postpone the test. He doesn’t feel good about it.

“I… I don’t know Jin. I don’t even want to think about it. A day without you doesn’t exist in my world,” Andy said

“I know that pabo yah. You’re so cute Andy,” Jin said laughing but continued “It’s just a rhetorical question. Of course I’m going back. I told you you’re my home. I won’t stray away from you even if you beg me to,” Jin said.

“I will wait for you. I will search the whole world to find you,” Andy said uneasy

“How long are you going to wait for me?”

“Till I breathe my last,” Andy said.

“Well, I won’t make you wait that long,” Jin said “so make sure you have a nice dinner ready for me tomorrow. We are going to celebrate.”

“Promise me you’ll come back safe,” Andy said

“Andy, why are you acting so weird? What’s bothering you, baby?”

“I told you I don’t feel good about this,” Andy explained

“You look cute when you’re worrying about me,” Jin said as he reached for Andy and kiss the tip of the younger man’s nose. “Don’t worry. I won’t make you wait. I will come back to you. And for the record. IF anything happens to me, I don’t want you to wait forever. If you think it’s too much, you can move on Andy. If you think you’ve been waiting for too long, I won’t take it against you. I will understand,” Jin said

“NO! I said I will and I’m going to. So you have no choice but to come back to me,” Andy said

“Aishhh, you’re so stubborn. But thank you for saying that,” Jin said.

The next day Jin left without waking Andy up. He quietly leave after kissing Andy and placing a note on the bedside table.

My cute Andy,

I’m sorry I left without saying goodbye. I don’t have the heart to wake you. Don’t be such a worrywart. I’ll be home for dinner.
Wish me luck baby. I love you so much

Jin

Andy busied himself picking the ingredients for dinner. He wanted to take the worry off his mind so he decided to go to the supermarket and buy the things that he need for the promised dinner for Jin. They are going to celebrate, after all.

7:00

No Jin.

7:30
Still no sight of Jin. Andy is starting to worry but he tried to calm himself and took his phone to call Jin but was directed to a voice mail.

He decided to send Jin a message thinking his husband is playing a trick on him. He always does that. Jin is like a 10 year old boy trapped in a 30 y/o man’s body.

“Where are you? I’m getting worried. Call me as soon as you get this.”

He waited for a couple more minutes but there’s no reply from Jin.

He started calling some of Jin’s classmate to ask if they had seen Jin or heard what happened but no one knows.

He waited but Jin didn’t return home. He waited until his body couldn’t take the anxiety and exhaustion. He fell asleep waiting for Jin. But Jin wasn’t there.

Jin disappeared.

The next day, as soon as Andy wakes up, he switched the TV on hoping to hear a news about Jin.

“The plane American Wings disappeared last night without a trace. It was said that the plane was carrying at least 10 students taking a their aviation test. Family and friends are gathering in front of the school hoping to get any information about their loved ones. No statement from the administration was out yet. More news about this when we returned,” the anchor on TV announced.

Missing? Andy thought. How can a huge plane go missing? It’s not like it’s a miniscule key that you could lose. IT’S A FREAKING AIR BUS! HOW CAN IT GO MISSING?

Andy started to panic and called his hyungs.

Today is the 49th day since Jin went missing. As he scan the Apgujong, he noticed a lot of things that has changed. But he also saw some things that remained the same. Jin would love these changes. He loves Apgujong so much. Andy thought.

But as he scanned the street, he saw a tall man walking on the other side of the street.

Is that Jin? Andy thought.

He ran towards the guy but no matter how fast he ran, it feels like the distance between them isn’t changing. If anything, it seems like it’s growing further.

No! I won’t lose you again. Andy thought. He ran as if his life depended on it. He needs Jin. Jin is his life.

Then finally, he was able to reach the guy. Without hesitation, he grab the arm of the man and turned him to have a proper look at the man’s face.

And when he did saw the man, tears started to flow on his face as he threw himself in the arms of the man.

“Jin,” Andy cried. “I knew you’d come back. I knew you’d never leave me. I miss you so much baby. I love you.”
“I’m sorry for making you wait for so long. I didn’t mean to baby. I love you. I miss you so much.”

“It’s okay baby. Now, everything is okay. You’re back.” Andy said through his tears.

“Aren’t you going to ask me why I’m here?” Jin said to Andy.

“Later baby. Let’s go home first,” Andy answered.

They made love when they returned home.

But when it’s almost midnight Jin spoke.

“Why aren’t you asking me why I’m in Korea?” Jin asked Andy

“Does it matter?” Andy asked him back

“Humor me,” Jin said

“Why are you here, then?” Andy said

“I’m sorry baby. I can’t keep my promise to you,” Jin said trembling
“What are you talking about? You’re here. You’ve kept your promise,” Andy said.

“I’m here to say good bye Andy. I’m so sorry,” Jin said sadly “I just couldn’t leave without saying good bye. I just can’t do that to you. And I also want you to know that I want you to move on. I want you to find someone who will love you and take care of you. Someone who can keep his promise, unlike me. But please, do not forget about me. Do not forget about our love. I don’t want that. I want you to be happy. I guess I’m a little selfish asking you that.”

“Stop it Jin, you’re scaring me,”

“Baby…” the only thing Jin can say.

“No! You’re kidding right? This is a joke. Stop it! This isn’t funny anymore,” Andy cried hysterically.

“Baby please. I don’t want you to get hurt. Please,” Jin begged

“I told you I will wait until I breathe my last. That’s what I did. And now you’re here. Why are you doing this to me? Don’t you love me anymore? Did you found someone,” Andy accused Jin

“No baby, that’s not it. You know that. You know how much I love you. Tomorrow when you wake up, you will understand everything,” Jin said. “But please, don’t forget what I told you tonight. And please know that I love you with every fiber in my body.”

The next day, Andy was awoken by the sound of the TV thinking hard if he forgot to turn it off. Then he remembered Jin but panicked when he saw that his husband is not beside him. Then he heard the news.

“The remains of the American Wings was found at the shore of the Pacific. No news yet if there’s any survivor of the missing plane. American government says they are now starting the search and rescue operation hoping the passenger are still alive. Families of the passenger are crowding the school to get more information about the missing plane.The school said they will release the names of the passenger before the end of this day,” The anchor said

Andy cried like a baby. Then he saw a small note on his bedside table.

I’m sorry. Now it’s my turn to wait for you. I loved you until the end and I will love you until we meet again.

 

THE END

 

(Leave comments for the Author)