Chapter 6: Out

Fight the Dead, Fear the Living

It's Yoona or SoRyong...

"JR GET OVER HERE," I shouted as loud as my lungs can take before rushing to SoRyong's side. Damn it, I have no weapons and no way I can beat up those things. 

"I got you!" JR ran to release the biter's hold on Yoona and picked her up. Now with her off the tractor, I began pushing the darn thing in hopes of freeing SoRyong's legs. 

"JR! Help Baekho!" the poor man pleaded, struggling to crawl out of the weight. I looked at JR as I put my weight on the farm vehicle, my eyes begging for help. Please JR... we need you.

The next thing he did shock me. 

He just ran off. With Yoona. 

He didn't even thought twice about it. 

"JR!!!!! GET BACK OVER HERE!!" I yelled at the top of lungs. What the hell JR?! You can't just let SoRyong die!!

As my efforts to move the tractor is beginning to fail, I grabbed SoRyong's arms and attempted to pull him out myself. Please please please please... this has to work... I owe him so much...

Soon the fence began to creak from the weight of leaning biters before collapsing. Right on top of SoRyong. I jumped back from the fright and stepped away, eyes wide open at the horror I was about to see. 

Those rotting corpses, just devouring SoRyong. 

"AHHHH!" he was screaming in pain, from the fact that he was being eaten alive. My heart and adrenaline is telling me to jump back in save him. My brain's telling me it's no use. It's too late. They were just digging right into his neck and leg. SoRyong's face was smothered in blood, sweat, and tears. His glossy eyes, looking into mine, begging for help. Begging for mercy. 

I stood there frozen. My didn't— no— couldn't move. Part of me wants help, but the bigger part is scared. Horrified. But it's trying to rationalize it by saying 'he's gone, let him go'.

Crimson body fluid splattering everywhere, staining the ground and the three bodies. As time passes, the screams started to diminish to a whimper, letting the biter's disgusting hunger for flesh be heard. 

In a distance, I can see Hyunsung dashing over with a shotgun. Shock, grief, and confusion washed over his face the moment he laid eyes on his beloved son. He raised his weapon and pulled the trigger, blowing the biters' brains to bits. As soon as they were taken care of, the father knelt down to eye level with SoRyong.

"I'm okay pops... I'm okay..." the son whispered, his body paralyzed with pain and fear.

"I can fix you, don't worry, we'll stitch you up," Hyunsung tried to comfort him. Please... it's not going to work...

"It almost... almost got me, man. Baekho tried to save me." Don't say that... if I did this wouldn't happen... Hyunsung glanced at me, giving the 'I take back what I said' look and went back to tending SoRyong.

"I know son."

"I..." he breathed out before shutting his eyes for the last time. His chest stopped heaving up and down and his body went limp. Hyunsung's eyes glossed over, placing his hand over his son's eyes and rest his forehead on his, giving a prayer.

Behind me was everyone. Yoona, Uee, JR, and Ren... they all have been watching. Watching the whole scene. Watching him being feasted on. Hyunsung seem to notice too, as he slowly got up on his feet, now his expression replaced with anger. 

"Get out," he muttered under his breath. JR looked away from the man, which only pissed him off more.

"GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE."

"I'm sorry..." JR apologized and looked back up to Hyunsung. His orbs were full of mixed emotions: sympathy, regret, guilt, and the list go on.

"SORRY? Your girl is alive! You don't get to be sorry!" the man with graying hair exclaimed before turning to me, "you tried to help him, but this bastard let him die!" he referred back to the remorseful boy. JR looked back down to the ground, trying to fight back the tears. He really is sorry, isn't he...

"You can't blame JR," I in. JR I looked up at me with shock, which then turn into relief. It's really no one's fault, or that's what my head wants to believe.

"The hell I can't. You watch your back. Wait until it's your friend and you need his help. Please, just go. Get out and never come back!" those were his final words before turning his back on us and grieve over his loved one.

I turned around to face JR, giving him a hesitant nod that indicates we should leave. He looked at Uee, then to Ren, then back at me, "You got that ride to Suwon if you want it." And with that, the three left: JR, Uee, and Yoona.

"I guess we better get moving," I looked at Ren and gave him a nod of agreement. We left as well, following JR's group in the truck.

I guess we're on our way to see Junho.


For the past 30 minutes or so, the truck has been making some pretty scary noises. By the time we finally made it to the metropolis before the old vehicle broke down in the familiar downtown area. 

"Well, this is as far as we're going," JR started. It was the first he had spoken since the incident back at the farm.

"Then it's far enough," I replied before opening the passenger's seat and hopped off. Everyone else did the same. Damn, this place is a mess and yet, memories are flooding back into my head. I very well know the area. At least a couple cars were smashed either to a wall or with each other, knocking down some garbage. The crew walked down the street until I spotted an all-too-familiar store at the corner. The red LED lights read "KANG'S DRUGS". Yeah, he wasn't the best at name picking.

"Oppa! Unnie! Look!" Yoona shouted, pointing at a kneeling man behind a car. Uh oh, this can't be good...

"Hey there! You friendly? Truck's run out of gas," JR shouted back. I don't think this guy's too friendly...

The "man" turned his head towards us, revealing a bloodied decaying face snarling at us. 

"CRAP!" JR and I cursed simultaneously and backed up as more and more of those things appear out of nowhere. No matter where I turned, they're everywhere.

"We're trapped!" Uee exclaimed. 

"WAHH!" we all turned to see Yoona dodging and backing away from a walking corpse, before falling back and having the biter toppling over her. Crap, what do I do?!

"AHHH! NO! NO!!" the little girl screamed. It was then a gunshot fired at the dead's head, dropping on Yoona like a fly. While Uee ran towards her baby sister, I looked around where the gunshots were coming from. It was from a brown-haired woman firing her handgun.

"RUN!!!" I snaped my head back to my brother's store to see the metal gates that barricade the door opened and a stranger ushering us in. Doing as we were told, we all ran into the drugstore along with the two strangers. As soon as we're in, the man slid the gate shut and put a lock on it. Looks like it'll hold for a while.

"We can't take risks like this," a new voice snapped in the store. It was another girl with her hair dyed dirty blonde. 

"And we can't just let people die either," the woman who saved us earlier fought back. Who the hell are these people?! And where's Junho?

"When I SAY 'that door stays shut no matter what', I REALLY mean it. We don't know who these people are, they could be dangerous!" the blonde said in hushed, but loud enough to where we can hear it. Gee thanks for sparing our feelings. Another man, much older than any of us, intervene the conversation. 

"Worse, they could've led 'em right to us!"

"Where the hell is your humanity?! They would've died out there!" the small man who opened the gate and door pitched in.

"We have a child with us," I finally interrupted, remembering that close call with Yoona. Hopefully that's enough for them to settle down. The old man faced me, eyes as intimidating as a lion, not ready to soften up. Well, I tried.

"I see ONE teenage boy. That ain't no child," he stated, referring to Ren. 

Seriously, where the hell is Junho in all of this? I have to know he's alive. Maybe he's in the bedroom? But I can't exactly excuse myself out of this. I turned to Ren to see him extremely uncomfortable with the situation. Two birds with one stone.

"Ren, how about you wait in the room up on the right while we sort this out?" I asked him desperately.

"How you know what's in there?" he was skeptical about the idea.

"My brother owns this place," I assured him. 

"Oh, okay," he answered before sneaking out of the intense atmosphere. I'm sure Junho will help him out if he finds him.

"They have a little girl Chaerin!" the small man told the blonde. So that's her name.

"Those things outside don't care."

"Maybe you should go join 'em then. You'll have something in common!" JR finally stepped in.

"God dammit Chaerin! You have to control these people!" the old man ordered.

"Dara and Jiyong just RAN out there."

"I don't give a flying crap! We're in a war zone."

"She's the leader here. But it looks like she's losing control of her people," I commented. I may be out of line with this remark, but someone has to say the truth. 

"If you were in my shoes you'd be th—"

"Holy CRAP," the old geyser interrupted Chaerin the moment he laid eyes on the bloodied Yoona sitting on a stool. She's still shaken from what just happened, and this yelling isn't helping. "One of them is bitten!"

"She wasn't bitten!" I defended. The little girl was covered in dead man's guts, but I know for a fact there's no bite hiding there. Dara, I think, shot the biter right on time.

"Hell she wasn't! We have to end this now," the white-hair guy started to make his way towards the little girl. 

"Over my dead body," JR stepped in front of him with the scariest face I've ever seen. He's small in comparison, but his expression can just rip him apart. 

"We'll dig one hole."

"No! I'll clean her up! There's no bite! She's fine!" Uee fought back as well, running towards Yoona. 

"Don't you people get it? We've already SEEN this happen. We let someone with a bite stay and-and WE all end up bitten!"

"Shut up!"

"We gotta throw her out! Or smash her head in!"

"JR! STOP HIM!" Uee cried as she wiped the grunge off of her sister.

"Baekho, what do we do about this guy?" JR looked at me, as if he's waiting for permission to kill him.

"Dad, it's just a girl," Chaerin tried to calm him down. That's her dad huh. Like father, like daughter. 

"Let me handle this Chae—"

"But your heart, dad. You need to calm down."

JR's eyes are still on me, waiting for the cue. That old man's really pissing all of us off, but we need to rationalize and sort this thing out. Who knows how long we'll be stuck with them?

"We reason with him JR," I finally answered.

"With the bloody end of an axe-handle, maybe! Nobody threatens the girl," he hissed, his dark-brown orbs now glued to the guy.

"Everyone CHILL OUT!" Dara snapped at the end.

"Nobody's doing anything," Chaerin sided with Dara for once. 

"Shut up Chaerin!" her father retorted before turning to Dara, "And YOU. Shut the hell up. They will find us and they will get in here, and none of this will even matter. But right now we're about the be TRAPPED in here with one of those things." 

"What the hell are you talkin' about?" JR questioned. 

"She's bitten! That's how you TURN."

"She's not bitten!" Uee called out from behind, still cleaning up the mess with her sleeves, "Baekho, stop this! It's upsetting her!"

"Ooh, I'm upsetting her? Upsetting is getting eaten alive!"

"Dad, we get it. It's a big deal."

"Sit down, or that's IT," I directed and stood side by side next to JR. I had enough of this crap. I take back what I said, I should've told JR to give him a beating.

"You gonna whoop me? You and what homo parade?"

"This one," JR joined in.

"HA, that's good. Little girl! Before you EAT your unnie, you can watch your oppa get his nose broken."

"I'm gonna kill him Uee! Just worry about Yoona."

"Hey I'm not the bad guy here! I'm just looking out for my daughter."

"No, you're just the guy arguing for killing a kid!"

"She's covered in muck! She'll find the bite. WATCH."

"She won't."

"And if she DOES? The first thing she'll do is sink her teeth into her unnie's face. THEN once she's dead, she'll probably pounce on YOUR little friend of yours," he faced towards me, referrning to Ren.

"She's just a little girl; I think we can handle her," I commented, still trying to calm things down.

"A little girl? She'll be an uncontrollable man eater!"

"It's not gonna happen!" JR rebut.

"It is and we're tossing her out NOW!!!"

"NO. You don't touch that girl, you don't touch ANYBODY," I finally lost my cool and retorted the man, "I've got a friend I'm trying to protect in here too. You want to get violent you old geyser?! Well, COME ON. You better have a plan to kill me though, because it's ME before anyone else in here—"

"AHHH!" a scream came from Ren in the back. Glancing at where Junho's bedroom should be, Ren fell back and a corpse fell forward from the room, crawling it's way to the brown-haired boy.

Everyone gasped, including myself, and stared with wide eyes at the scene.

"REN!!!" I shouted before dashing towards him. In the process, I bumped into Chaerin and toppled over, knocking my head hard against the floor. With my blurred vision from the shock, I can see Ren backing away from the man. I got up and sprinted to the crawling biter.

"Get away from him you bastard!" I cursed as I grabbed it by the shoulders and tossed it back. Whoops, bad idea. As soon as it balanced on its two feet, it spun around and threw itself on me. I blocked it from getting any closer by pressing my forearm against it's chest. 

"Ah, God, get... off... ugh," I muttered before its head was blown off by a gunfire. As it knelt down, I tossed to the side. Wait, didn't it just came from Junho's bedroom? Please don't tell me...

I looked at the biter's face just to be sure. It's a complete stranger. Thank God it wasn't him. But then, where is he?

I glanced behind me to see Dara still pointing a gun at the corpse. Damn we owe this girl tons.

"You okay?" she asked, putting her weapon down. 

"Just great, thanks." 

"Uh... guys?" Jiyong, I presume, whispered, looking at the boarded windows with another man. Those things outside are trying to get in, growling and knocking on the board. The wood is giving in. 

"Everybody down! Stay quiet!" Chaerin hushed as everyone else duck behind the counters, racks, aisles, etc. 

"They're gonna get in!" the old geyser peeked from behind the counter.

"Shut up," JR silenced him, hiding behind the counter as well, along with Uee and Yoona.

Soon, we heard gunshots and the growls ceasing. Really fast gunshots. It had to be machine guns.

"Is that the military?" I asked.

"I don't know," Chaerin was uncertain.

"Thank God for whatever it is," Jiyong commented.

"We almost DIED because because of Dara and her itchy trigger finger!" Chaerin's dad yelled, "That was stupid! That was— AH!"

He took hold of his chest before collapsing on the floor.

"Dad!!!" the blonde yelled as she raced to her father's side. 

"Was HE the one bitten?!" I inquired.

"NO. Don't be crazy! It's his heart!"

"My pills..." the old man pleaded.

"Uh-um. Nitroglycerin pills?" Uee asked. Right, she's a vet. 

"YES. We're out. We've been trying to get into the pharmacy since we got here!" Chaerin exclaimed, pointing at the huge window to the pharmacy, blocked by a steel roll down shutter, "Please, try to get in there! Behind the counter, where the pills are!"

I thought about it. Even though the old geyser has been a douche bag this whole time, we can all benefit from the pharmacy. And if Junho isn't here, I'm the next to know how to get in there.

"We'll get in there somehow," I complied.

"Thank you so much. We need nitroglycerin pills. Please get in there. I'll keep an eye on my dad."

"Everyone else should get comfy and look for anything useful. We could be in here a while," JR ordered.

"I'm starting to think this drugstore isn't a permanent solution," Jiyong concluded. 

"You're right, this ain't exactly a fortress."

"What do you suggest?" I asked.

"We need as much gas as possible so we can ALL get out of downtown Suwon. Fast."

"Agreed."

"Then I'll head out and get gas. There's a motel not too far from here. I'll work my way towards it and then loop back, siphoning what I can."

"Damn, that'd be great." Honestly, this guy should be the leader.

"Well, it's gotta get done. Plus, I'm quick and I know Suwon."

"Local?"

"Born and raised."

"If you're going to do that, here's a walkie-talkie if you get in a tight spot. Hopefully you won't need it." I knew that knick-knack would come handy.

"Cool." Jiyong gladly accepted it.

"Ren's got the other one. Check in with him and get back here as soon as you can."

"You, what's your name?" JR asked the blonde.

"It's Chaerin. My dad's Kiejin."

"Keep a good eye on him. These boys will work on getting you your medicine," JR declared before turning to that random guy by the window, "And you, you keep an eye on that front door. You're our look-out."

"It's Daesung, you got it," the squinted-eye man replied.

"And I'm Dara," the girl called out.

"Okay Dara, you'll shift in with Daesung when he needs it. For now, get some rest. You're a good shot and I'd like to keep it that way."

"You got it boss."

"Now get him those pills."

I guess finding Junho will have to be for later. We gotta get the man his pills.