Chapter 1: The Beginning

Fight the Dead, Fear the Living

Ugh… what the hell just happened? Whatever it was, I am not digging this migraine...

Opening my heavy eyelids, I woke up to find myself sitting against the door with the cruiser tilting to the side. I'm getting really thirsty, how long have I been out here? It's not long before a sharp, stinging pain is shot up from my thigh.

"AHH! Crap... my leg..." I muttered followed by a string of cuss words, looking down to see a huge gash in my leg. 

Where's the officer? Well, he's not in the driver's seat...

I looked out to the window to see him laying facedown on the dirt floor, sprawling out in a way that is anatomically impossible. He's not moving. It doesn't look like he was ejected from the car. Judging from the streaks of blood on the ground, he was dragged out. Crimson fluid has been pooling beneath him for a while now. He's dead, isn't he? Then I notice there was a shotgun nearby the vehicle. What the hell happened here? What killed him? So many questions filled my head that the headache came back with full force. Oh crap, I'm still handcuffed.

"Officer! Hey Officer! Are you alright?! I'm still cuffed back here!" Pointless. It's obvious that he's not alright. He's gone. I need to find a way out of here myself.

I turned around to face the cracked window almost above me. With my good leg, I kicked the hell out of that glass. THUD! The cracks extended, but it wasn't enough to break it. 

"Ugh!" Second kick.

THUD! Third kick.

"COME ON!" One more kick and the annoying barrier finally shatter in pieces.

I stood up, grabbing the frame and carefully hauling myself up without adding more damage to my wound. With my head and torso out of the cruiser, I lost balanced and lunged forward, landing hard on the ground. 

"Ow!" I yelped when my leg dropped on the dirt.

Using the vehicle as support I slowly got up, making sure not to put pressure on my injured limb. Damn this hurts.

Painstakingly, I moved along the car and limped towards the officer. I need to get out of these cuffs. 

Now standing in front of him, I bent down to take the small key from his back pocket. I made an attempt to unlock the cuff, but thanks to my butterfingers it slipped and dropped in front of the officer's face. Crap... calm down Baekho... it's not he's going to resurrect and eat your face... I bent down once more to quickly take the key back.  Phew, what was I worried about?

Finally I unlocked the handcuffs. My wrist finally feels free from the sharp metal rings.

"Guhh..." The officer's hand twitched. Wait. Is that coming from the officer? Maybe he's actually alive?

"Uhh... Officer?" I asked. All of the sudden, he lashed out trying to grab me with a snarl. I jumped back in shock, crawling backwards to the car. He's creeping up on me. 

"AH! HOLY CRAP!" I yelled out in fear. What the hell is this?! This has to be a nightmare...

I kept on crawling backwards until my back meets the car. I'm trapped. Damn it, I have to find my way out of this. I looked to the left and saw a shotgun shell. Yes! This has to be my saving grace! I grabbed the pellet like my life depended on it (which it did). To the right of me, there was the shotgun. Of course, I snatched it as well. The snarling is getting closer. I looked up and saw that that thing is only a couple feet away.

"GET AWAY FROM ME. WHAT ARE YOU?" I screamed as if it will make him go away. Unfortunately it didn't.

I put the shell into the shotgun, cocked it, and aimed it towards his head. "Don't make me do this!" Just do it... he's obviously not human... and you've done this before...

I pulled the trigger, and his head just exploded so easily. I was out of breath from the adrenaline pumping through my veins. I looked at the gun again. No... I didn't want to do it again... but I did it. I threw the firearm like if it was possessed. I swore I wasn't going to touch that again. I looked at the officer once more. Man... his skin's already rotting and he smells like crap. A ton of crap. What the hell is this?

From afar in the woods, I can see a silhouette of a slender person. I hope he or she is not another one of whatever this is.

"HELP! I need help! Th- There has been a shooting!" As soon as the silhouette ran off, I can hear growl from behind. I turned around to see even more of those... things. I need to get out of here. I  got up, but my leg is still slowing me down. I tried to walk towards to where the mystery person ran to, only to be tripped over by the officer's body. I turned my head around. They're right behind me. 

I got up once more limped ahead. Don't look back Baekho. Don't look back.

My eyes rolled to the right only to see a few more of those things. To the left, one sitting against a tree. Oh my god... they're everywhere... and they're all going after me!

I tried to run, but my damn leg kept on tripping me. It got to the point where I have to crawl my way. As I reached over a small hill, I can see a towering wooden fence. Yes! This is my way out! I stood up again and dragged myself to sanctuary. One more look around and now there a dozen of those things. How long was I out?

Finally meeting the barrier, I held onto the top of the fence and pulled myself up and into safety.