Chapter 2: Welcome

Fight the Dead, Fear the Living

THUD.

"Ow!" I yelped as I landed onto the ground. I could hear them growling and scratching the board. 

I backed away from the fence as much as I could until my back met a porch. Then I heard a gunshot from afar. Whatever that was, it's driving the dead away from here and towards the noise. The scratching and snarling finally ceased. Woah, that was a close one.

I got up using the porch as support and caught my breath, looking around to what seems to be a backyard. There was a shed nearby.

"Hello? Anybody?" I wait for a response. Nothing. I hissed as I try to walk around. Damn this leg... I need to get it treated as soon as possible. I wonder if anybody's home?

I walked up the porch and came upon a glass door. 

"Hello? Anybody home? I need a little help," I pounded against the glass. Still no response. The pain is so unbearable my leg feels like it's going to collapse any second now. I have to get in before I get a nasty infection.

I grabbed the handle and slowly slide it open. It's unlocked. 

"Coming in! Don't shoot, okay?" I half-jokingly announced, just in case. Who wouldn't have their guns out with those grotesque, man-eating things walking around?

I peeked my head in, looking around the interior. Seems empty to me. I stepped in, still taking precaution. You can never be too careful, right?

"Ahh, crap! Ugh..." I hissed. Gosh this burn just won't let up. "Hello? I'm not an intruder... or one of THOSE." Come on, someone's got to be here. They got to have a first aid kit lying around.

It is then that I took a closer look at the household... The living room ahead is a mess. All the chairs and bookshelf has been toppled over. The kitchen on the right was worse... blood stained the wall and the cold white floor. These people probably needed more help than I do...

I went around the counter to inspect the cookery. They might have a kit in one of the cabinets. But of course, because I am such a klutz, I just had to slip on the puddle of blood. "Ow!" How did ever became a sword-waving martial arts instructor with this kind of clumsiness? I got up and try to brush off the embarrassment from my blood-stained wardrobe. Glad that no one saw that.

I continue to walk around the kitchen. Furniture is thrown everywhere and all the cabinets and drawers were wide open, wiped clean. Damn it. Before I head back out to the living room, something caught my eye. Nearby the sink was a walkie-talkie. I took it in my hands and pressed the button on the side. It buzzed, meaning that there's still some battery left. This might come in handy, I just need to find the other one. I clipped it to the back of my pants as I exit the kitchen and into the dining room.

On the table was a cup of water. Gladly I drank it up like was if I haven't seen water in days. The cool liquid sliding down my throat in the heat was refreshing, for once. I stepped into the cluttered living room and noticed a bright red flashing on the side table. It was an answering machine. I clicked on the play button out of curiosity.

"Three new messages," the machine started, "message one, left at 5:43 PM." 

"Hey Minseok sweetie, this is mommy." The voice belonged to a middle aged woman.

"We're still in Mokpo. Your dad had gotten in an 'incident' with a crazy guy near our inn, so we have to check him in at the ER to have it checked. Anyways, he's not feeling well to get on the boat to Jeju-do, so we're holding back the trip. Thanks so much for taking time off of your part-time job to look after your baby brother and I promise, we will be back in time before your semester starts! I love you both boys!"

"Message two, left at 11:19 PM."

"Oh my God finally! I don't if you were trying to reach us, but all of our calls are getting dropped. They're not letting us board the ship to Jeju nor leave by car. They're not telling us anything about Seoul so please, please just leave the city and take your brother with you to Grandma's and Grandpa's farm, you remember the way right? I've got to get back to the hospital, please let me know that you're safe..."

"Message three, left at 6:51 AM."

"... Minseok? ...Minki?" She's sobbing. "Boys... if you can hear this... call the police...that's 1... 1... 9... we love you... we love you... we love y—" The message cut off on the other side. Is this happening everywhere? And Min- what? Is he— no. Are they still here?

Beside the answering machine was a family photo. I picked it up and examined it. They were a handsome gentleman and a beautiful lady, both middle-aged. On each side of them, there are two young adults, both of them are male. One is in the Korean military uniform— so he's done his service already. He's quite good-looking as well, resembling closely to his father. However, the other one caught my attention. He's definitely looks a lot younger, really feminine looking. Dyed, long brown hair tied into a ponytail with bangs covering one eye. Unlike the other family members who were smiling with warmth, he kept a cold, straight face. No emotion whatsoever. Yet, it enticed me...

I set the frame back down to its respective spot. I really hope they're all okay, it'll be a shame if these people— anyone actually— lost to them.

"M-M-Minseok?"

Who the hell said that?


Greetings~
I just would like to give a shout out to Attack-on-bangtan (LOVE the name btw!) for being the first subscriber/commenter! \(^▽^     )ノ
Another thanks to gothprincess666 for the first upvote :'D Honestly I didn't think this story is worthy of a vote but THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU'RE AWESOME.
And of course I gotta give some love for Aoife_8910 for being the second sub~ 
^▽^ 
I feel so loved 
(´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ω°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥`)

Okay from now on no more annoying A/Ns so you won't be hearing from me for a while so BAI AND THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING.