Chapter 5: Bonding

Fight the Dead, Fear the Living

Warning: super long and pointless dialogues and convos \(;´Д`)/


"Hey, get up," the voice woke me up as he poked my chest with I-don't-know-what. Damn... what time is it? 

I slowly opened my heavy eyelids to see a face that I have never seen before. He had a sharp jaw line with cat-like eyes, and a dark brown fringe that almost covered his left eye. From my peripheral vision, I could see Ren sitting up and yawned. 

"I'm Jonghyun. Kim Jonghyun. But just call me JR," the guy who did the wake-up call introduced.

I stood up to meet eye-to-eye with the boy. He's around my age. 

"JR?"

"Yup, second in the family. And you?"

"Name's Baekho," my tone was still husky from the deep sleep— and that dream of her.

"Oppa! Oppa!! We're gonna build a fence! There's a tractor and everything!" a little girl, probably still in elementary, came in, yelled at JR, and ran off. Probably to where the tractor is at. 

"Come on, we better get going or we won't hear the end of it," he said with a smile and we all exited out the shack. So far he seems like an alright dude.

We stopped at the front of the main house and there sat a pretty girl with the same kid yelling at JR.

"That's my friend's sister, Yoona. She might be a little, um.. dull? But she makes up for it with enthusiasm," JR introduced, "so I'm wondering, Suwon's our destination and, personally, I'd appreciate the company of a guy who can knock a couple of heads together if he has to."

"I'll see what Ren would like," I respond. It's true, Ren should I have a say in this. The only reason he's with me is so we can find his parents in Mokpo, then head to Jeju to see my parents. But Suwon isn't a bad idea either. It's on the way to Mokpo, and my brother's drugstore is still there. I hope...

"Ah, gotta consult the princess. I understand," JR teased, and Ren once again was throwing daggers at him. He really doesn't like being called a girl huh. 

"Uee, Yoona, this Baekho and Ren," he turned to face the his 'friend' and her sister. 

"Ren? That's a pretty name," Uee complemented.

"Thanks." Oh so now he doesn't get mad?

Soon, we heard the screen door opening and closing with SoRyong coming out. 

"Well, we should get to work. We've all seen what those things can do out there so the faster we get this fence up, the better," he instructed. Yeah, we should get moving. 

"I wanna build a fence!" Yoona exclaimed.

"Yeah? Well, I need a good foreman—err, I mean fore'woman'. You can sit on the tractor and yell at me whenever I take a water break."

"On the tractor? Cool!" and together they walked towards the tractor. JR left to tend to a truck and Ren sat down where Yoona used to sit. So um... now what?

"So uh, you two actually looked relaxed," I tried to start a conversation. Now that I think about it, Ren hasn't said much through this whole ordeal. I wonder what's on his mind. As for Uee... well um talking to girls isn't my strong point. 

"Yeah, it's almost like we didn't see people eating each other for the past three days. It's peaceful here, no?" Uee remarked.

"How did you manage to get out the city?"

"JR just... drove. We passed so many people that needed help. And... we just... passed people, over some. Just... just..." her voice started to shake at the thought of the incident. 

"It's okay. It's fine, you don't have to say anymore," I stopped her before she can break down. Man... no one— and I mean no one— should be seeing any of this. 

"I want to go home tomorrow, but even then I can't take away the things we— the things Yoona— went through," she continued sympathetically, "don't you want to go back to the moment before you knew about all of this?"

"Anybody in their right mind would," our heads turned to the thin boy. It was the first time he spoke today.

"Families and dinners and going out with good friends," Ren listed all of the positive things as he looked up at the graying sky, thinking about the good times as well.

"All of those things," Uee agreed.

"Those are the things we live for, right? With those gone, what's the point?" I questioned. BBQ, beers with friends, and simply laughing with my family are what I remember. Is this really how we're going to live for now on? Living in fear? No, someday... just some day... we'll find a way out of this mess. I don't know how, but there has to be a way. We still have to stay strong for the others. For our loved ones.

It's then I realized the awkward silence between us is really, well, awkward. 

"So uhh, what do you guys do when... corpses aren't walking around?" I broke the barrier once again. 

"I am a veterinarian back in Suwon, like Hyunsung here, except more with dogs and cats and not horses. What is it that you do Baekho?"

​"I used to teach down at a small martial arts studio," I turned to Ren, "and what about you?"

He broke out of his trance and faced me, like a deer caught in headlights.

"Me?" he pointed at himself.

"Yup, who else?"

"Well... I just applied to a school in the States. I was hoping to major in fashion design, but I guess that's out the win—"

"NO!" we jumped from Uee's sudden exclamation. Immediately her expression morphed from rage to embarrassment, her cheeks turning a bright shade of pink.

"Sorry it's just that... we need to HOPE that we go back to our career and dreams soon. Back to normal. It can't stay like this." 

"Hey Baekho! Come here for a sec!" JR shouted and waved behind the truck. 

"You're right, I'll be back in a bit," I mushed my words together before taking off to JR's direction. 

"Hey there, what's up?" I asked as I approach the lean man. 

"Hey Baekho, I just need help holding up the hood for a while. The stand broke off so yeah."

"Sure thing." 

I grasped the metal cover of the truck and held it up to where JR has enough room to work on the engine.

"Thanks man, I owe you one."

"No problem."

I just awkwardly stood there in silence as JR tinkered the machine. What's up with my social skills these days?

"So uh... how's your girlfriend doing?" Facepalm. Really Baekho? He clearly said that she's his "friend".

"W-w-what?! S-she's not my girlfriend! I told you, we're just friends!" JR jumped back, waving his hands in denial. I take that facepalm back, the boy's red as a tomato. He definitely has something for her.

"Sorry, how's Yoona doing?" I quickly changed the topic to save his embarrassment for later. Someday he's gonna need some dude talk. 

"Good, I think," he instantly calmed down and went back poking at the hunk of metal, "Uee and I had a friend up in Incheon. We were coming back from visiting him. We were in a gas station and some guy grabbed the girl." He looked up and straighten his back to face me. 

"I thought he was kidnapping her. I was on the dude in about two seconds and... Jesus. Just lucky I was there. We saw a lot of bodies before we stumbled upon Hyunsung's. But we're tough people, Baekho. Ain't nothing gonna faze us." 

JR's small for his size, but he definitely has a big heart. He has people to look out for, someone to be a leader for. 

"So what's your plan?" I continued on the conversation.

"Get back on down to Suwon and let this mess get sorted out. Government will start handing out shots and the national guard will do its thing. On the odd chance things got too bad, we could hop on my dad's fishing boat, I guess—"

"YOU'VE GOT A BOAT?! WHERE?" I slammed my hand on the edge of the car before I realized that I let go of the hood.

SLAM.

"OW!" I yelped as my fingers got crushed. Luckily JR jumped back before he could get decapitated. I wasn't sure if he was shocked from the close call or from my unusual screaming.

"Y-yeah, it's in Mokpo. Why?" he stuttered as he immediately pulled the hood off my numb fingers. Did I hear right? Mokpo?! All of the sudden the pain in my phalanges disappeared. JR, if I wasn't straight, I would've kissed you right now.

"Ren and I plan on heading to Mokpo to find his parents, then find a way to Jeju-do somehow. I didn't think we would find a boat until now!" I was overjoyed. I just can't believe we already have a chance in getting to Jeju!

"Jeju-do?! Are you crazy?! That's an island full of man-eaters!"

"Better than a continent full of man-eaters."

"True but... like I said. IF things get worse," he has already made up his mind. I can't wait to tell Ren the news!

"Anyways, looks like I'm done here. Do you need any help?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean in looking out for Ren. You know what you're doing? You got little brothers and sisters? Kids your own?"

"Nah, nah. No... no kids. But I do have a younger brother. He's a pharmacist in Suwon."

"Wow, maybe we'll see him then."

"Maybe." I really do hope Junho's alright...

"Well I better go and help with the fence," I excused myself.

"See ya."

I strolled over to where SoRyong's boarding up the fence, with his back facing me, and of course Yoona playing on the tractor. 

"You know how to drive it?" SoRyong asked. He probably heard me walking from behind. 

"Sure don't. I can slice up some boards with a katana though."

"There's no fancy swords, but we do have a rusty old saw," he pointed his hammer to the make-shift workshop.

"That works too." 

"Thanks."

I walked off to where the planks are already laid out, just need someone to cut it up. I grabbed the hands saw and began splitting the board. Seriously, this would be a lot faster with my katana. One hack is all it takes.

"My dad doesn't know how bad it is," SoRyong started while still hammering the barrier. 

"No, he doesn't."

"I saw a guy in Seoul kill a kid. A boy. Just shot him right in the face..."

"Damn... was the boy one of the biters?"

"I don't even know. He was either attacking the guy or asking for help. He didn't even hesitate. He just turned, put the barrel of the gun right between this kid's eyes and pulled the trigger," he finally put his hammer down and turned to face me, "you don't see things like that. It's not like in the movies."

"They don't fall like you think." I remembered my first two encounters with those things. It seemed like it happened a long time ago, but it's still there in my mind. Shooting the officer and butchering Ren's brother...

"Did you have to do it?"

"Do what?"

"Kill. Have you had to off one yet?"

"Oh, uh... I had to shoot one." It's better to say that than to say I killed the brother of the boy I'm taking care of...

"I could shoot one, maybe. If it were far away. I'm just glad we're getting this fence built. Dad just wants to keep the family safe and thinks inviting people in is a bigger threat than whatever's out there. How about yours? How's your family?"

"My brother's in Suwon and parents in Jeju, I hope."

"Oh man, I hope so too. Maybe it's not too bad there."

Before I can grab another board, SoRyong stopped me.

"That's probably all I need cut for now. Thanks."

I walked over to where the twin was working once again.

"SoRyong, thanks again for the ride."

"No problem, Baekho. Couldn't leave you behind. Anyway, when you see my dad around, he might want some help in the shack."

I turned my head around to see Hyunsung walking into the shabby little structure. I paced myself over to the shack and entered to see the old man pitchforking the straw. For a moment he looked up at me, then looked down and kept working. Well hello to you too.

"How'd you get out of Jeju?" Is he still on to me?

"... I got a ride and then I was in a wreck. I walked until your boys found me."

"Hmm. Well you're no worse for wear."

"This farm's a nice plot of land," I quickly changed the subject. 

"Heh, had you told me 20 years ago I'd be still be doing this, I would've told you that you were full of crap. Never was the plan, having a place like this. It was in the family, and I guess so was I. Family's important. It's all that matters. You agree with that?"

"Was brought up to, yes."

"Where's your family now? Parents? Wife? Girlfriend?" I didn't like how he emphasized girlfriend. I'm still not in the mood to talk about this.

"My parents are in Jeju, and brother's in Suwon."

"Well I hope they're all right. But now you've got that boy to take care of. Ren, was it? You just stumbled up-on him?" he asked with a hint of suspicion in his voice. Crap, did the case got out on the news?

"Yeah, I was looking for help in his house," I tried to brush it off.

"Hmmph," Hyunsung look stared right into my soul and stabbed the ground with the pitchfork. I couldn't help but feel a prey being stalked.

"Can I give you a piece of advice?" he asked.

"What is it?"

"I don't know who you are or what you did. Let's say things don't get better back in the cities. Or they get worse before they do. You're going to have to depend on the honesty of strangers if you're going to make it. And if those same people get to questioning yours, you're going to be in trouble. Oh, and I'd start checking the attitude, friend."

All of the sudden a scream ripped throughout the acre, coming from SoRyong's and Yoona's direction. What the?!

Hyunsung and I ran out the shack and split in different directions.

"GO! I'll get my gun," he commanded.

As SoRyong's screaming persisted, a snarling is becoming more audible. No, snarlings.

I sprinted towards the tractor as fast as I could to see SoRyong caught under the wheels of the tractor, with Yoona still on the vehicle. And a live corpse trying to reach over the man. Fortunately the fencing is keeping the two apart. Crap I better hurry up.

As I got closer, a decomposing hand grabbed Yoona's leg, pulling her down and grasping her shoulders. 

"AHHHH!! OPPA!! UNNIE!!"

Now two voices are shredding through the air. Crap I have to choose.

It's Yoona or SoRyong...


So, who do you want Baekho to save? La decision is yours ^-^