Chapter 4: Nightmares

Fight the Dead, Fear the Living

Night fell by the time we arrived at the twin's family farm. It was a bumpy ride on the dirt road, but at least we finally had the feeling of security returning. The crisp air, the fresh greens, and barely any dead people in sight was really comforting. Almost reminded me of Jeju. Reminded me of her...

Passing by a plantation of rice paddies, we made a right turn on an even narrower path. Up ahead was a rural Korean home setting surrounded by wooden picket fences. SoRyong parked the car in front of the house and turned off the engine. The three of us got out of the truck and as DaeRyong hopped off the back, an elderly man slid the screen door with a look of relief in his eyes.

"Thank god you guys are okay," he said in a deep, scruffy tone.

"We wouldn't have made it back without these two— Baekho and Ren," SoRyong introduced.

"Ah, I see you brought a couple guests."

"Your boys were lifesavers," I complemented. Really, if weren't for them Ren and I would've been rotting masses.

"Glad they can be a help to somebody. So it's just you and your brother then?"

"Oh, not his brother, he's... well... some guy who found him alone." DaeRyong corrected. The twin's father turned his head and met Ren's dark brown eyes.

"Do you know this man?"

"Yes," Ren didn't even hesitate to answer. I don't know why, but I was really glad that he trusted me so much already. That he can depend on me for help.

"Okay then," the man continued, looking satisfied with the answer. He broke the eye contact to take a glance at my swollen leg. Right, I forgot about that. "Well, it looks like you hurt your leg pretty bad there."

"Yeah it's not doing so well."

"I can help you out. DaeRyong, go check up on the guests and SoRyong go bring me a first aid kit. You, take a seat up the platform and I'll see what I can do," he instructed.

I trudge my way to the base of the concrete platform-porch thing and sat down on the edge. SoRyong came back in an instant and pass the kit to his dad. 

"Let's have a look. Yeah, this is swollen to hell," the old man examined my wound.

"It HURTS like hell," I hissed as he touched my leg.

"I bet it does. What did you say your name was?"

"It's Baekho."

"Nice to meet you Baekho, I'm Jung Hyunsung," he finally introduced as he tightly wrap the bandage, "where were you headed? Before meeting the boys?"

"I'm was coming from Jeju, on my way to Seoul," I answered.

"The news said stay in your city."

"Yeah, well I didn't really had a choice. We hit a lady, one of those things you've been hearing about, on the road."

"Who were you with, the boy?" Here comes the part I feared the most. Should I tell them why I came to Seoul? Why I almost went behind bars? Or should I hide myself from now on? Ren was attentively listening to our conversation. I don't want to lose his trust... not now... no. They'll find out somehow. Better to tell now than have everyone turn their backs and hate me later, and there's nothing to lose now.

"I was with a police officer, he was giving me a ride," okay I didn't lie. But it wasn't the complete truth. Nice pep talk Baeko, nice pep talk.

"Awful nice of him," Hyunsung believed me.

"I'm an awful nice guy," I replied cunningly.

"The house is filled up with my people and that shack over there has a displaced family of three. You and your friend are welcome to rest there when we're done here," he stated and turned to the brown haired boy. 

"I didn't catch your name, what was it again?"

"R-Ren," he stuttered.

"Can't imagine what you've been through, Ren."

"I'm looking after him as soon as we find his parents," I assured him.

"Hey dad, so I'm thinking, first thing tomorrow, we gotta reinforce the fence around the house," SoRyong informed. Wow, I completely forgot he was there the whole time.

"That doesn't seem necessary." Hyunseung replied without a care in the world. Doesn't seem necessary? I know this place is isolated and all, but we still gotta take precaution...

"I don't know what you saw on TV, or heard on the radio, but there's some serious crap hitting the fan. I don't think anyone knows how big it is yet," the young man pushed on.

"Your son's right. You're going to want to fortify this place," I agree.

"Stuff like that doesn't happen around here, SoRyong."

"Dad, I'm serious! Baekho, come on, tell him what you saw out there man."

"I got chased by a couple of dead people."

"Well, do what you think you should. We've got plenty of chores as it is," the man finally gave up.

"Baekho and those folks at the shack can help out in the morning. We gotta do it, really."

"I already said okay. Well, I'm all done here. It should start to feel better tomorrow."

"Thanks," I said, looking down at the wrap. 

"If your leg gets hot or the swelling doesn't go down, you're probably dealing with an infection."

"What do we do then?" I asked with a worried expression on my face. The last thing I would want is to get an amputation in this scenario.

"We'll probably just have to shoot you." Uh... what?! There was an awkward silence until he realizes that his joke wasn't really funny.

"We'll clean it, re-dress it, and you'll be fine."

"Okay, that'd be preferable," I sighed with relief.

"There's blankets and such in the shack. We'll be seeing you bright and early. Come tomorrow, which way you think you're headed?"

"Towards Mokpo I suppose." That's where Ren's parent should be, and there might be a way to cross to Jeju-do...

Hyunseung gave us one last smile before turning to his house. It's great to know nice people exist in this world. 

-----

The shack smelled like horse crap, but hey at least it's something. Ren and I lay side by side on our blankets on the floor of hay and straws.

"It smells like..." Ren started. I turned to focus my attention on him, trying not to think about the smell. I already knew what he was going to say.

"," I finished his sentence with a playful smile.

"Yup, exactly," he confirmed. Slowly, he turned his body facing towards me. Moonlight shone through the holes and cracks of the shack, landing perfectly on his facial features. He is kinda pretty... wait what. Baekho! Get a hold of yourself.

"I miss my mom and dad," Ren broke my train of thoughts.

"I bet Ren," I replied with sympathy. I know he's already grown up, but I still can't help but feel he's still innocent. Vulnerable. Not ready for this world.

"How far is Mokpo?"

​"Pretty far."

"Oh, okay," there was a tone of disappointment in his voice, "so you're from Jeju huh. My parents were going there. Just maybe, if we ever do find my mom and dad, maybe we can find a boat and head Jeju? There might be a lot less of those dead things and we'll see if your family's alright..."

Wow, that's actually not a bad idea. But crossing the Jeju Strait will be tricky. Let alone getting to Mokpo and finding a working boat.

As I focus on Ren again, his eyes were shut and his breathing slowed down. Well, today was a long day for all of us. I looked back up to the ceiling, eventually letting fatigue and darkness taking over.

-----

"I love you baby," a familiar voice rung. I know who this voice belongs to. She laughed, but I couldn't tell at what though. Is she saying that to me? Or someone else... I can't see anything, but I can definitely hear the sound of glass shattering against a surface and her scream ripping through the air.

"AHHHH!! BAEKHO!"

My eyes shot open and I immediately got up, panting and sweating with perspiration sticking to my dirty clothes. I looked Ren to make sure I didn't wake him up. The college student was lightly snoring. Good, he's still sound asleep. 

I lie back down on my makeshift bed, trying to forget the past until my mind shuts down and crashed out once again.