two

Kaleidascope

Minseok

My stomach grumbled as I sat at the back of the school bus. I had missed breakfast in a hurry to get out of the house. My mother didn't usually drink first thing in the morning, but when she did it was bad. For my father, for me. Not that my father would care if my safety was at risk.

I leaned forward, hugging my stomach as the pain increased. I could make it till second period...maybe.

"Kim Minseok, could I see you a moment?" Principle Cha asked standing outside her office. I nodded and went inside hoping none of my friends saw me.

"Am I in trouble?" I asked a little nervous. I wasn't one to challenge authority, so a visit to the office was rare for me.

"Goodness no. I wanted to know if you were tutoring again this semester" Principle Cha explained. I had done tutoring last year as part of being at the top of my class and found that I really enjoyed it.

"Probably" I said straightening my uniform.

"Wonderful. Would you be willing to spend your first period with class 2-C?" She asked me. 2-C wasn't too far from my 4-A, my class. It was do-able, and seeing as it was a C class, I didn't expect too much to say the least. They were slightly above public school level.

The class was noisy, with the students throwing paper airplanes and shouting across the room. I sat on the far side of the desk waiting for the teacher to arrive. One of the paper airplanes landed on the desk in front of me. I stared at it a moment, debating on whether to open it or not. Instead I only crumpled it into a ball and aimed it for the trash can.

"Class, take your seats. We have a lot to cover"

I stuck the paper ball in my pocket. I could throw it out later.

"Alright class, I trust you did the homework" Mr. Lee said writing the lesson topic on the board. I stood behind me chair waiting to be be addressed to sit. I scanned the class as a few more students acknowledged my presence. I was working my way to the back row before my eyes stopped on a particular boy with glasses on his head. He was shuffling through papers on his desk, looking rather distressed. And then his name came to mind. Chanyeol.

"Everyone, this is Minseok" Mr. Lee gestured to me "he will be assisting the class. If you are ever in need of help, please feel free to ask him" I nodded to the class and sat down.

I took out one of my textbooks, prepared to study during the period. Mr. Lee tapped on my shoulder on moments later. "Minseok, I'd like you to help out Chanyeol this morning" I looked up and blushed at the giant smiling down at me.

"Minseok sunbaenim do you remember me?" Chanyeol asked happily. Boy do I ever.

"Neh" I replied softly. "What is it you need help with?"

"I'm just  on how to do these functions" Chanyeol said showing me his paper. They were simple equations for me; this wouldn't be too hard.

"Sure" I said pulling up a chair at the table next to the chalkboard. I ended up helping Chanyeol through the teacher's lesson and almost till the end of class.

 

"This is hard" Chanyeol sighed resting his head on his arm. I bit my lip trying to avoid his gaze. I wanted to kiss him, then and there. I wanted to wear his glasses and lay on his chest, sleepily exchanging kisses from time to time. I blushed at my erted thoughts, unable to help but imagine all things I wanted to do once I got my hands on him.

"Minseok-ssi?" Chanyeol waved a hand in front of my face.

"Hm?"

"Class is over" Chanyeol chuckled. "Hey I'm in the performing arts program, but do you think you could help me after?"

"Me too, come find me in the vocals room" I said packing up to head to my next class. "See ya"

***

Chanyeol

"Excuse me" someone said tapping my shoulder. I'd been staring at the menu unsure what to get.

"Sorry, go ahead of me" I said not looking away from the menu.

"Not sure what to get?" The man chuckled after ordering his lunch.

I shook my head. "This is my first time I forgot to pack my own"

"I recommend number five. The kim bap here is awesome" he smiled. I nodded and order, keeping an eye on the boy in the corner of my eye. He was attractive no doubt, from the glances I snuck at him, he had to be at least a senior. Maybe a student teacher, or a visitor.

The cafeteria lady held her hand out waiting for my payment. I fished through my wallet, growling softly when I found myself to be a few cents short. "I'm sorry I can't—"

"Don't worry, I got you covered" he smiled paying for me.

"Thank you so much" I said clasping my hands together.

"Bring that cute smile to eat with me and we'll call it even" he winked at me. I blushed when I realized I was staring. "You wanna get your lunch?"

I looked back to the cafeteria lady who was standing impatiently with my food in hand. I bowed apologetically and took my tray to wear the boy was going. We were the same height, yet his shoulders were broader than mine. Manlier.

"So whats your name, cutie?" He asked setting his tray down in one of the dance rooms.

"Chanyeol" I said sitting next to him. He smiled at me a moment and then I decided to scoot away a little since I'd sat so close.

"I'm Kris" he said winking again. I nodded and watched him start eating. I noticed my eyes kept falling from his jawline, to his hair and back again. He was so hot. “You gonna eat too or are you just gonna keep staring at me?”

“Uh..” I fumbled for my chopsticks and tried to pick up a piece of sushi. My hand had a mini spazz attack and the piece of sushi was squeezed from my grip. I ignored it and went for another piece; I growled when I was unable to pick that piece up as well. Kris chuckled at me.

“You want some help?” He asked amusedly.

“I’m fine” I grumbled ready to give up and use my fingers.

“Don’t” he said flicking my hand with his chopsticks. “Your hands are dirty”

“Then how am I supposed to--”

“Open up” Kris said turning my chin to face him. My eyes widened slightly but I stay still opening my mouth as he told me. And there I was being fed by the hot guy I just met.

 

Minseok

"Minseok, can you help me out with this solo?” Luhan asked leaning against the locker next to mine.

“Why me? You’re the better singer” I said shoving my text books into the top compartment. “That’s why you got the solo instead of me” I wasn’t going to hide it, I was dead jealous of Luhan. I had really wanted to sing, it’s what I had come to this school for, I had worked so hard for this and he got everything with ease. When SM representatives came around for the annual auditions to their company, Luhan would probably get in right away and I’d be left behind again.

“Oh don’t be so down. You still have that trio with Jongdae and Zitao” Luhan offered trying his best to sound sympathetic. Do not be deceived; we’re not friends. We’re acquaintances at best.

“Why are you being so nice to me this week?” I asked slamming my locker shut. I started for the stairs.

“Because I wanna start over” Luhan called. It wasn’t convincing me.

“You? Start over? Well gee, I haven’t heard that one before” I scoffed and made my way to the music room. Maybe Jinki could give me a singing lesson or two. I shook my head and made my way down the quiet basement hallway. Most of the doors were closed, muffling any music from those rooms. I found myself stopping by one of the open doorways. I felt happy when I saw Chanyeol sitting in one of the corners. Maybe I could hide there from Luhan. I must have been so focused that I failed to notice Kris sitting dangerously close to him. My heart sank, seeing them feed each other. I should have known Chanyeol wouldn’t be single for long.

“Minseok!” Luhan called, I left the doorway before Kris and Chanyeol could see me. I continued into the music room at the end of the hall. I could see Yixing’s bag next to one of the music stands. He must have been getting lunch still..or stopping by in one of the dance rooms. “Minseok, c’mon we pass notes, we help eachother out with extracurriculars. We’re already sort of friends. Remember that time I came to watch your black belt test?” Luhan said. I could hear him panting in the doorway.

“We’re barely friends. And you only came to my black belt exam because we had a project to work on and you wanted to start as soon as I was finished.”

“But hey at least I did it with a big smile on my face”

“My mom told me afterward that you complained the entire time”

“So karate’s not my thing--”

Taekwondo. It was taekwondo” I corrected him.

“Sorry. But look, I want to make it up to you, okay?” Luhan said putting his hand on my shoulder. I bit my lip trying not to growl at Luhan like some kind of animal. My hands were clenched to fists, my arms pressed at my sides.

“Don’t you think it’s a little late for that” I said through grit teeth. Luhan pulled me into a hug. I stood still but felt my mood soften.

“I’m sorry, okay” Luhan spoke softly now, my back. My heart started beating again; I wanted to pull away again. There were too many memories resurfacing.

“I-I’ll forgive if you never touch me again..” I could taste the bitterness in my own words. Harsh as they were, there was some truth to them.

“Minseok…”

“Luhan..I need to be alone right now” I needed a pill. I’d lost too much cool. Luhan finally complied, stepping back sadly. I waited for him to leave before pulling the bottle of pills from my bag. It took a few minute but eventually I felt my spirit returning. I wasn’t a chipper munchkin skipping down the yellow brick road but I could sing and that’s what mattered.

 

Chanyeol

“You have soy sauce on your lip” Kris chuckled whipping the corner of my mouth with his thumb. I blushed and closed my eyes, relishing in the contact.

“We’re having too much fun” I chuckled softly. “All gone?”

“All gone” he smiled. “So tell me more about yourself”

“Well I came here for drumming and guitaR~” I felt my voice flutter slightly when Kris’s fingers touched my neck. I watched him smirk and loosen the collar of my shirt “I-I have a little SisTAr~” I cleared my throat hoping my voice wouldn’t go high like that again. Kris continued to smirk, a firm grip still on my collar. I felt myself leaning closer, eyeing his lips. My ability to speak was gone, any word coming to mind proving useless. Our faces were so close, I could nearly taste them. I could see myself tugging on his lips with my teeth. I heard a low growl from Kris as I closed my eyes, only moments away from pure bliss.

 

BRRRRIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG


“” I swore under my breath and pulled away slowly. Kris shrugged and smoothed out his uniform. We exchanged contact information and I left first secretly hoping he would be staring at my . I hugged my bag in front of me, trying to rid myself of the growing in my pants. It was almost pointless, I couldn’t get him out of my mind and we almost freaking kissed!

***

After school I ventured around the upstairs looking for Minseok. I didn’t know where his locker was, nor did I know what room he would be in for the next couple of hours. Eventually I gave up, not able to get any information from his peers, and went down to the basement. I met Kai in the dance room that I’d eaten with Kris in at lunch. I’d recently been informed that along with the creative freedom we would be given in this program, until the coming talent show we would be given a strict schedule to prepare and would have mandatory classes in each of the performing arts areas. It wouldn’t be too tricky for me, if anything I was just excited to be on stage and perform.

“So how does the talent show work?” I asked Kai after I’d changed into some more comfortable dance wear.

“Well it depends” he said stretching on one of the ballet bars. “If you enter as a soloist, you can pretty much do anything. You’re just held to a higher standard.” Kai explained.

“And I don’t have to enter as a soloist, do I?” I asked deciding to follow in the younger’s example. I’ll admit, I knew next to nothing about ballet but it seemed logical to stretch beforehand regardless.

“Nope. In fact, your first year here, it’s usually better to enter in a group”

“Do I get to choose my group?” I asked.

“Nope. If you sign up to be in a group, you’ll be closely monitored the next few weeks and then placed in a group. But you get to choose your name so that’s cool!” Kai smiled demonstrating a fancy turn in front of the mirror.

“Are you gonna do that this year?”

“Oh heck yeah, I want to be in a dance group” Kai said posing. I chuckled and copied his position.

“I thought we have to perform using all the performing arts areas”

“We do, but we can focus on a specific area” Kai explained changing his stance. I copied again wondering if we’d suddenly be part of a flash mob or something. “I guess the one downside to this program is we can’t exactly do whatever we want for the talent shows”

“The other students don’t have guidelines like this?”

“No, but they also don’t get the training that we do. Besides, there’s always an SM entertainment rep who comes to watch at least one of our shows and that company looks for talent” Kai grinned. “Cut throat maybe, but they’re the real deal”

“Why wait for them to come find you?” I asked trying to rule out the possibilities.

“Because everyone knows, if you audition, you need them more than they need you and your chances are lessened. But if they discover you, they already see potential in you” he explained.

“But still, you said they were cut throat, why not go for a company that’s not as strict?”

“It’ll be worth it” Kai told me “I want to get to the top, and SM is the way. All the best have contracts with them. Except BigBang”

“Alright everyone” someone called setting their bag down. I assumed they were the dance teacher. “Find a spot in the room, let’s get warmed up”

 

I had no idea just how hard hip hop could get. By the end, I’d nearly collapsed on the floor, swimming in sweat. “You good?” Kai asked still looking energized. I raised a thumbs up in response.

“I’m good” I panted.

“Great, where are you going next?” Kai asked excitedly.

“Crap I gotta sing now” I said wiping my forehead for what felt like the hundredth time in the last hour.

“Aww I have to go to the drama department” Kai said making an annoyed face. “See ya tomorrow I guess”

“Bye” I waved from the floor before someone came and peeled me off the floor. “Thanks--oh Kris”

“Hey cutie”

“H-hi … I’m uh ..”

“Going to the vocals room?” Kris asked still holding my hand. I nodded losing my words again. “Have fun, cutie”

“Aw get a room!” Someone called from behind me. I pressed my lips into a line, bowing my head slightly.

“Gotta go!” I grabbed my things and bolted for the door. I was still sweating like crazy when I finally found the right vocals room.

“There he is” I found Yixing standing with his guitar near the piano. “Hiyah Chanyeol”

“Yixing-ssi you sing too?”

“Well I did come as the guitarist while Yonghwa was away” he gestured to his instrument “but I guess I’ll need to with this talent show going underway”

“Is this talent show mandatory?” I asked.

“Yes” a brown haired boy answered almost immediately. “It goes towards any grades we may lose from missing class for this program” he said holding his nose high.

“Relax Lulu” Yixing teased. “You’ll probably win again like you do every year, so your pretty little grades are fine” A small hmph came from the boy Yixing had addressed as Lulu. “That’s Luhan” Yixing leaned close to whisper to me. “Competition’s a touchy subject”

“Please” Luhan scoffed “We haven’t even heard him sing, who’s to say he’s any competition for me”

“Jeez”

“Jeez is right” Yixing agreed. I went and stood near the back as more students trickle in. We lined up as a normal choir would and sung for the remaining hour with the instructor on the piano and Yixing playing the guitar. I wondered if I’d be allowed to play my guitar with the singers some day. I’d need to ask.

 

“Chanyeol, can you please sing your part” Baekhyun growled from in front of me. I was stuck behind him yet again. It wasn’t my fault though, I wasn’t used to harmonizing with my voice.

 

“Chanyeol SHHH that’s the solo!” The boy, who’s name I’d learn later was Zitao, whispered harshly.

 

“I’m sorry” I whispered back and simply mouthed the words to keep track of where we were, only to be nudged by Sehun, because apparently that  wasn’t allowed either.

 

“Chanyeol that was your cue” Hyoyeon poked my arm. I sighed and continued to pick up where I’d neglected to start, only to find myself singing the wrong verse. When the song inevitably fell apart, all eyes glared on me. Maybe this wasn’t the area of the program I wanted my group to focus on.

 

***

I found Minseok outside the drama department talking to Kai after the most humiliating vocals lesson ever. I shook my head and held it high. They’d have to do a lot more than that to keep me down.

I grinned when I was finally able to get Minseok’s attention. “Annyeong” I waved happily. “So where are we going to study?”

“Let’s work outside, while it’s still nice out” Minseok said softly before turning towards the door. I followed happily. We sat outside under a large oak tree, enjoying the nice breeze, our bags on any loose pages to keep them from flying away.

“So what do you need help with?”

“Just math” I nodded “It’s so confusing”

“Alright” Minseok said before beginning to explain how exactly a parabola works and how to graph a basic one with the pattern 1, 3, 5.

"When's your birthday?" He asked while trying to solve for the vertex.

"I don't have one." he deadpanned.

I looked up at him. "Of course you do, silly" I chuckled. "Everyone does”

 

Minseok

"My mother just says I just of happened and  doesn't like to call attention to it" I said. It wasn't entirely a lie, I knew I was a mistake. Despite contradiction, my mother loved to remind me that I was a mistake, an unwanted creature in the world we know, a parasite to my parents.

"Well maybe we can make today your birthday?" Chanyeol  suggested. He’d become interested in all the doodles on one of my notebooks, death metal bands names and screamo lyrics alike; which was a much more positive response given then from any of my relatives.

"Why would we do that?" I asked almost dumbfounded. It honestly hadn't occurred to me to make my own birthday and if it had it was immediately shot down by my mother.

"Because you're allowed to have one. It would fun. We could stay up late, watch movies, eat tons of junk food and even tell scary stories" he bounced slightly in place. He was like a child, an oversized child.

"So you want a party. Why does it need to be my birthday? Just invite some people over and get call it a day" I said scratching my head. I knew I wouldn’t be able to win Chanyeol with a sour attitude but right now that was the least of my concerns.

"Alright, will you come?" he asked hopefully.

"No"

"Why not?" he demanded

"Because...I don’t want to" I said. Because I hate parties and you’ll probably invite Kris and I’ll be forced to bring Luhan as my only source of comfort.

“Please???”

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. “Fine.. we.. we can celebrate “my birthday”. But we’re only inviting a few people” I said giving in. I knew I would regret this later.

In the end, I always did.