one

Kaleidascope


Chanyeol

I got up before the alarm went off and opened the blinds in my room. I rose with the sun. Everyone was still asleep; I could tell. I went downstairs to go make breakfast. The lights were all off on the main floor.

It'd been a week since I'd started at my new private school and I wasn't about to break from my usual routine, now. Within a few minutes I had a plate of toast, a mug of tea and a banana on a tray to be taken up to my sister.


"Chanyeol?" I heard her voice squeak when I opened the door.


I smiled. "Rise and shine" I chuckled opening the curtains. I heard her hiss behind me, shielding her eyes from the light.


"Oppa!" she whined burying her face into her pillow. "It's too early"

"Come on. Up and at 'em!" I said sitting beside her. I did this every morning, and had for a long time. My sister, Meechan, was getting to the age of loving to sleep in. If I didn't come get her, she would sleep all day.

"Just because your school starts earlier, Oppa doesn't mean I have to get up too" she mumbled into her pillow. I rolled my eyes and pulled my tired sister into my lap.


"Oppa~~" she continued to whine. I picked up one of the pieces of toast and inched it near . "I'm not a little kid"


"Really?"


"Yes really."


"Alright then, eat for yourself" I said securing my arms around her waist. I watched Meechan's face go from tired to unamused.


"Ahhhhh~" she said after taking my glasses off my face. Finally I gave in and fed my sister while she proceeded to get comfortable on my lap.


"I need these back" I said taking my glasses.


"But I want to wear them" Meechan pouted.


"Well you look very cute with them on but you don't need them to see."


"Sowwy Oppa"


"It's alright" I smiled kissing her on the cheek.


"Eww" she scrunched up her nose as I placed her back on her bed.


"One day you'll learn to love it" I said slinging my bag back over my shoulder. "I have to go now; you should get dressed."


"Oppa help?"


"Yaahh you're old enough to dress yourself" I said straightening out my uniform. The light blue jacket was very much to my liking but wrinkled easily.


"Annyeong" I said before closing her door. I loved my sister. A lot of the friends I'd had at my old school fought with their sibling but I couldn't stand to live with Meechan that way. Sure we'd often get in disagreements but in the end it would be me kissing her feet for forgiveness—but I didn't mind.


***
Minseok


"Oof!" I heard someone grunt after I accidentally knocked against their shoulder. I  glanced back to see a girl hastily picking up her books.

 

"Watch where you're going, twerp" she glared at me, brushing her hair off my face.


"Sorry" I mumbled before continuing down the hall. I walked with my head down; my game was to fly under the radar till summer break. Then I could be done and get out of this hell hole.


You'd think as someone my height, avoiding attention would be simple—wrong. It's the exact opposite. You'd also think the head down would avoid conversation, but not this morning. As I found myself walking straight into a wall—a human wall, that is.


I looked up to the see who's chest I'd ran into today, thankful it wasn't a girl this time around. The boy hadn't acknowledged my presence. I wondered if he'd felt anything at all. 


"That isn't a very good place to stand" I said crossing my arms over my chest. I followed his line of vision to see he was staring at the poster for the talent show coming up. But that wasn't important.


"Yah!" I stood on my tip toes to snap near his face. Finally he looked at me, steading his glasses.


"What's that?" He asked looking at me innocently. His brown eyes locking with mine.It was then that I knew he must be new. No one that gorgeous had ever walked down these halls.


It took me a moment to respond. "Y-you're in the way" I managed to get out, trying to look serious.


"Oh, sorry" he said stepping aside. Apart of me had hoped he would have stood there a little longer so I could stare at him.


"Right..." I said shuffling around him. I hung my head again about to start walking before he caught my arm. My eyes widened. It was like his touch had set off sparks.


"Hey.. I didn't get your name" he said meekly.


"Minseok" I said softly "not that it matters" I mentally slapped myself for letting that slip. I wasn't leaving a very good impression.


"Hi Minseok" he stepped beside me without letting go "I'm Chanyeol. I'm new"


"Alright.."


"Would you..mind helping me" He asked "I'm a little lost" I gulped and nodded.


"Who teaches your first class?" I asked trying to free my arm from his grip.


"With Mr. Lee. Sorry I hate to be a bother. I have the worst memory" he said looking around. I honestly didn't mind. I felt safe having someone tall with me.


We arrived at the math department all too soon. I sighed and leaned against the locker closest to the door.


"We're here"


"Thanks, Minnie" he smiled before walking into his class. I hadn't notice until then, just how jolly he looked when walked.


"Minnie" I repeated back to myself, as I turned to get to class. I hadn't been given a nickname.


***
Chanyeol


"Here are your tests from last class" Mr. Lee said handing out his stack of papers. "Remember this is just an assessment, to see where you are all at. That's not to say you shouldn't have tried." He said placing my test back on my desk. I kept my test face down until I was sure no one was over their shoulder at me.


"And to our highest scoring student, Seunghyun" Mr. Lee announced, handing the marked test to the kid next to me. I hadn't memorized the names of anyone in my class, I figured this test would be one way to learn Seunghyun's.


"Good to see you back in my class" Mr. Lee smiled.


"Ehhhhh~~" I raised my hand to give him a high five and regretted it immediately.


"Mr. Park, do you have something to say?" Mr. Lee turned to me, as did the rest of the class. The other students fell silent making me uncomfortable.


"No sir"


"Good"


I slumped down into my seat, peeking at my test. I groaned lightly, seeing all the red xs. Math was my worst subject, I got in to this school for the performing arts program.


I looked to the front of the room at the questions being written on the board. None of them made sense. I tapped my foot anxiously. Suddenly my uniform was feeling a little tight.


I tried my best to follow along, only to get further lost. What was a parabola? And why was it so damn important!?


Beads of sweat formed on my forehead, as my foot tapped faster, puffing my cheeks. No doubt I was drawing attention around me.


"Yah! Stop kicking my chair!" The boy in front of me whispered harshly.


"Sorry" I whispered back, tucking my feet back under my desk. Stupid long legs.


"Yah" I whispered again, tapping the boy on the arm with my pencil. His shoulders tensed to his ears before turning around annoyed.


"What?" He snapped trying to keep his voice low.


"Do you know how to do this?" I asked pointing to one of the questions. The boy's brow furrowed.


"Yeah, don't you?"


"Mr. Byun, turn around" Mr. Lee called, when he looked up from his desk. The boy shrugged and turned around going back to his own work.


"Yah" I whispered again trying to get his attention.


"Leave me alone" the boy said without turning around.


"But I need help—"


"Mr. Park" Mr. Lee called. I looked up from tapping on the boy's shoulder. The teacher motioned me to come see him. I saw a few heads look up as I stood up from desk. A soft chorus of "ooohs" flushed over the class.


"Are you disrupting my students?" Mr. Lee asked once we were safely in the hallway.


"N-not intentionally." I answered nervously. Getting in trouble was the last thing I wanted during my second week.


"Do I need to send you to the office to work?"


"No sir"


"So if I send you back in there, you will work quietly?"


"Yes sir"


"Alright, go ahead"


"Wait. I don't know how to do the work" I said embarrassed.


"Alright, you can sit at my desk for today, but I'd advise you to get a tutor; we aren't spending much time on this unit." Mr. Lee said opening the door for me again. I said down at his desk, feeling my cheeks pink. I knew some of the students were still staring at me. The tallest kid in the class was in trouble, that wasn't about to go unnoticed.


***
Minseok


The morning passed by slowly, slower than usual. I often found myself turning to Luhan in class, hoping he would pass notes with me like we used to.


It wasn't till second period that I got him to comply.


What's up? You've looked moody all morning..


Luhan had scribbled onto a scrap piece of lined paper. I glanced to make sure the teacher's back was turned before writing down my response and handing it back behind my chair.


When have I not been moody in the morning? Or at all for that matter?? I hate it here.


The paper came back to me a few minutes later.


...
Try to hang in there. We're at senior year, remember? Then we can go to university with people with the same interests as us. No more slackers, nothing. The least you can do is enjoy it.


I was in the middle of writing my response before the page got taken away.


The rest of the day was rather uneventful. I looked forward to the end of the day, when Luhan and I could go to Men's chamber choir and sing our hearts out.


I rushed out of class once the bell rang and went down to the basement where the vocal rooms were. On my way to chamber choir, I stopped by one of the rooms that was blaring music. I assumed it was hip hop club before I realized there was another soundtrack into the mix.

 

 

"Hey Kai" I called in the doorway of the ballet room. Kai was at the bar stretching, his classical music loud and clear. He waved at me and went back to his stretches.


"Say 'hi' to Taemin for me" I called, hoping the latter was in the changeroom and might hear me.


It was safe to say I had a few friends here and there. Most in the performing arts program. And sadly most of them were younger than me.


"Minseok, hurry up" Kyungsoo called from down the hall. "Ms Nam is giving out solos today"


"I'll be there in a sec" I called back peeking into the hip hop room. There was a lanky boy attempting to pop-lock after Yixing. I couldn't help but chuckle at the boy's lack of coordination.


***
Chanyeol


"You'll get the hang of it" the boy said taking a sip of water. "I have a feeling that isn't why you came."


"Nah, I'm here for the hip hop. At least I want to be; I didn't exactly come from a dancing background" I admitted looking at myself in the mirror.


"Oh? What did you get into the program with?" He asked tightening the laces on his shoes.


"Music" I answered trying the dance move out again. I should've followed in the boy's example of tying my own shoes, because the next thing I knew, I had stumbled over my own laces.


"Whoa there" the said, catching me before I fell flat on my face.


"Thanks" I said steadying myself.

"Don't mention it. I'm Yixing by the way" Yixing said offering me his hand. I shook it grinning.


"I should probably go, before the music department comes looking for me" I said picking up the guitar case I'd snagged on the way by.


"Good idea. They're pretty strict, especially if you're looking to get into musical theater this year" Yixing said before going back to practice.