Chapter 6 - The Warm Hand

The Disappearing Loneliness

(Author's POV)

Yulia wasn't as angry, she was paranoid. She didnt want to sink herself into 'friendships' after what she had gone through from the past, she doesnt have a past that's worthy enough to be recalled, all of them are sad and disappointing. She will never want to recall it ever again, NEVER.

She refused to hold Yuzuru's hand because she thought she could cut all ties with him. Although she agreed to have fun with Javier and Kanako, it didnt mean she wants to do so with Yuzuru.

But, never did she thought, that being arrogant nearly took her life.

Yulia accidently stepped on a leaf and it got stuck on her shoe, she thought it would be dangerous cause it'll be more slippery by trekking without friction patterns from her shoe.

She carefully lifted her leg to remove it. Suddenly, she lost her balance and she panicked, she let go of her hand from the rope instead of grasping onto it more tightly.

She felt her body leaning towards the edge, but it was too late for her to grab the rope nor balance herself.
She instincly scanned the edge below her to determine what to grab to avoid direct falling. But nothing except for a small edge of a rock that was sticking out from the soil that can be grabbed by one hand only at the left side.

'Im dead.' She thought.

But she saw a hand reaching towards her from her right side, it was Kanako, with Javier supporting her by wrapping his free arm around her waist.

Yulia took the hand and reached her other hand to the rock. She thought she would be safe now since she wouldnt fall and she could climb back up, but she was wrong.

She did have something to hold on, but the force that pulled her down was alot more stronger than what she had in mind. Her arms and legs were all scratched although she was wearing track bottoms. Plus, her knee knocked hard onto the edge and her face nearly hitting a small sharp rock against the edge.

Pain showered all over her body, she doesnt have any energy left to climb up, and Kanako lost too much energy holding onto Yulia when she fell.

"YULIA!" A loud voice screamed her name. Although she was in pain, she could still figure out who that voice belongs to --Yuzuru Hanyu.

She managed to lift her head up, she saw Kanako nearly crying, and Yuzuru reaching out his hand.

"Give me your left hand, Javi take the right one. Kana dont let go until Javi gets a good grip of her." He demanded.

Kanako and Javier nodded and started adjusting themselves to exchange their position with some help from the students behind them.

Yulia was struggling whether to take Yuzuru's hand or not, plus it was far. She needs to reach out alot to grab it but she believed that the force of gravity is stronger than her hand this time.

While she was still thinking, Kanako and Javier had already finished positioning. Yuzuru frowned, hard.

"Hey, you either take it or fall!" He stated.

Yulia didnt lift up her head, she didnt know what to do, what to believe in anymore.

She heard a tongue click and a hand grabbed her left wrist. She was shocked and looked up. Its was Yuzuru. He let go of the rope to lean down and grab her wrist.

"YUZU, be careful!" Kana said when she saw him letting go of the rope.

"Javi, together. 1,2,3!" Yuzuru nodded alittle and gave instructions.He counted to three and together with Javier, they successfully pulled Yulia up from the edge.

Yulia was panting vigorously on all fours. Red scratches could be seen together with some mud stuch on her arms. She could feel the pain from her scratched legs.

"Are you alright, Yulia?" Javier put his hand on Yulia's back and asked. Yulia nodded, signaling she's fine.

Kanako gave her a small hug as Javier moved backwards to thank and apologize for the trouble they made.

"Can you stand up?" Kanako asked while standing up, slightly pulling Yulia's arm.

"Yeah..." Yulia stood up slowly with the help of the rope and Kanako.

(Yulia's POV)

It hurts so bad! Why do i have to be so careless?! Why didnt i just hold Yuzu's hand?! Wait...it was his fault for ignoring me, why am i blaming myself? Get yourself together Yulia, you're not at fault here!

"Can you walk?" Kana asked.

"Y-yeah, just some scratches, not alot of harm." I said.

I was shocked when Kana hugged me, no one had done that for over 10 years. Although it was short, it was still a warm and gentle hug, i felt love and concern in it. Maybe i shouldnt treat her badly after all.

"That's good to hear." Kana gave me a warm smile.

"Come on, let's continue on." Javi said.

We nodded and started walking down the path with more cautious as before.

I was still hesitating what to do with Yuzu, should i hold his hand now? Is he going to offer his hand? Well, i should thank him first.

"Yuzu, thanks fo-" i flinched when he turned back and glared at me.

HE. GLARED. AT. ME.

"Sorry..." that was all i could say when he's glaring at me.

He grabbed my free wrist and continued walking, not too fast nor too slow. I felt alittle uncomfortable since hes grabbing my wrist but not my hand, it doesnt hurt but just, inconvenient?

"Umm, Yuzu, can you let go for awhile?" I requested, but he ignored me, maybe he didnt hear me.

I felt him gripping tighter.

HE OBVIOUSLY HEARD ME, AND NOW IT HURTS.

"Hey, Yuzu, it hurts." I tried shaking it off but large movements will make me inbalance and probably fall down, again...

He ignored me.

"He's a little piss off now, just endure it for awhile." Kana patted my shoulder and whispered to me.

BUT IT HURTS! MY WRIST IS ABOUT TO BREAK!

"Yuzu, it really hur-"

"SHUT UP! IM NEVER LETTING GO OF YOU EVER AGAIN!" Yuzu shouted suddenly and gave a slight sigh.

I was stunned, i had never seen him shout before. Not to mention he said he's never letting go of... me... ever... again... What...?

"It means he's blaming and angry at himself. In other words, he cares for you." Javi whispered just enough to let me and Kana hear.

I glanced at Kana and she gave me a nod, agreeing to Javi.

I turned back and blushed heavily, already forgetting the pain on my wrist and from the scrathes.

Miracally, we caught up with the group. In this part of the jungle trekking, everyone needs to get help to get up a 2 meter 90° slope. We'll get up the slope by grabbing the edge with both hands and swing one of our legs up and climb up. The ones on th slope will hold us if something happens and also pull us if we dont have enough strength.

"This should be easy." Javi commented.

Yes, it is. But for my below average height...yeah, good luck Yulia.

"Javi, Kana, you two go first. Catch Yulia later when its her turn." Yuzu -who's still grabbing my wrist tightly- said.

"Roger that!" Javi saluted and went infront of us together with Kana.
Both of them went up easily since they're tall and got help by the others. Then, it's my turn -thank god Yuzu finally let go- ...

I looked up the 2 meter wall, only my fingertips reach the edge by jumping. Suddenly, two hands were on the side of my waist. It was Yuzu.

"What ar-"

"Dont struggle." He said blankly and lifted me up.

I instincly reached out for Javi and Kana as they did the same. I turned around, just to see Yuzu climb up the wall as if its in his daily routine.

"Javi, go help the next one, thanks bro." Yuzu grabbed my wrist -not again T^T- and patted Javi's shoulder.
Atleast this time the grip wasnt that tight.

Now i think of it, his hands are hot, burning hot, its like he's having a fever.

"Yuzu, are you sick?" I asked worriedly.

He ignored me. Is he really gonna ignore me everytime i say something.

"Yuzu, im serious, are you having a fever or a cold or something like that?"

Only the sound of nature and our footsteps could be heard.

"Yuzu-"

He turned around and put my hand on his forehead.

"What do you think? No, im not." He answered, being annoyed.

"Okay then, sorry."

That's so weird, it's warm, he's not having a fever but why is his hand so hot.

"You guys, hey!" Javi shouted as he caught up to us.

Yuzu didnt turn around but he still slow downed his pacing.

"Man, how did you climb over that so easily!? Im taller than you yet it still took me some time." Javi asked.

"I train my muscles everyday for figure skating, it wouldnt make sense if its not strong enough to let me go through that wall." Yuzu explained in monotone.

"Hmm, thats true."

Awkward silence.

"Look! Its the end! Its finally over!" Javi cheered.

"Not yet, we still need to cross that stream." Kana pointed out .

Javi showed a face that can be translated as 'DOOM'.

We need to cross the stream by stepping onto the rocks, some of them are unstable so we need to be careful and analyse before we step on one. But again, partners are needed to cross some huge gaps between some of the rocks.

Yuzu started jumping onto the rocks, causing me to nearly fall into the stream since i wasnt ready. He started to determine which rocks were stable.

"Step on where I've stepped." He said. I nodded as response.

We crossed the huge gaps quite easily as i can jump far and well, he's a figure skater, he'll be a shame if he cant jump as far as i can.

But the last jump was quite far away. I had to have Yuzu pulled me as i was jumping to reach the shore. But the force was strong and it caused me to collide onto Yuzu.

We were unintentionally hugging.
Hmm, his chest is warm too, then why the -toot- is his hands so hot. I guess its one of the mysteries of Yuzuru Hanyu.
^Distraction for embarrassment^

"Oh My God leech!!!!" A girl suddenly shouted while pointing at my shoe.

I looked down and saw a small thin worm on my shoe. The girls were panicking and kept shouting 'SALT! SALT!'. I didnt even give Yuzu the chance to bend down. I grabbed the leech and tossed it back into the stream.

Javi and Kana jolted when i did that -since they were still crossing-. While Yuzu was a little shocked.

I guess leeches really do scare people. But to me, its just a monsquito that knows how to swim but cant fly. And of course, it's a SLUG that blood.

We waited for all the students to cross the stream and received the next order --bathing then eat then it'll be our free time to enjoy the calm nature.

(Yuzuru's POV)

Miss Moa called Yulia to the infirmary to treat her scratches. I wanted to follow but Miss Moa told that it'll be fine and she'll be there for lunch.

I waited for my turn and took a bath. Somehow my fingers are sore, i gripped onto Yulia too hard. Sigh, i was too angry to actually think and control my force. I hurt Yulia, physically this time.

"Why are you sulking that much? Worried about Yulia?" Javi sat beside me.

I sighed and shook my head, "im worried about myself. What can i do to not hurt her? Im confused, it seems that I've turned into another person. I want to know the truth but...but..."

"But you dont know whats the point of knowing the truth. You wanted to know was she one of those that bullied you, but now you dont feel like it." He continued my unexplained thoughts.

"Maybe you didnt notice yourself but since the starting, you were denying it, that's why you didnt ask her directly. You were scared if her answer was yes and you wouldnt know what to do, that was one of the reasons you're not yourself."

I nodded with agreement, i never knew Javi can analyze so much of me, its the first time.

"The other reason, well, it depends on how you feel." He started to stammer.

"What do you mean?" I looked at him curiously.

"Well, umm, you might be...in love..."
I coughed, hard, "What!?"

"Im just saying, you should know it yourself." Javi raised both his hands innocently.

"Its lunch time guys, lets go." Kana informed the students in the large room.

Javi and i stood up and joined Kana, also Yulia who was standing behind her.

I didnt talk to Yulia during the whole meal. Her arms and legs were wrapped in bandages -she changed into knee length shorts after bathing- . Her wrist was red, i really gripped her too hard.

We had our free time. I was called by the teachers for my side of the story of the incident while Yulia went on a walk with Kana and Javi.

I didnt have a lot to talk about since i only did some rescuing. It took me some time to explain everything to them.

When i went into the room, i found a whole group of students -including the trio- playing card games.

"Owh Yuzu, you came back! Come on, join us!" They invited me into their UNO game.

Kana and Javi nudged open a place for me to sit between them.

"Your walk was quite short." I stated, to whoever thats going to answer me from beside.

"It was going to rain, so we came back early. The path was quite long actually, 3 km around this resort." Kana answered. I only nodded.

We continued playing the game until it was dinner time. Time flies fast when you're having fun.

We ate dinner together, four of us. No conversations between me and Yulia.
Before i knew it, i was already sulking in the restroom after dinner.

"What took you so long?" Javi asked as i sat beside him in the room. I shook my head and sighed heavily.

"Pfft... are you sulking?! Again!?" He snorted a laugh. I gave him a death glare which made him wipe off his detestable grin off his face.

"Where's Kana?" I looked around but they weren't in sight.

"You mean Yulia." Javi corrected. Again, death glare.

"Okay, okay, sorry, they went on a walk."

"At night!? Alone!?" I was shock, how could a guy leave two powerless girls walk around outside near the forest in the dark alone!?

"Well..." he started to look guilty and was scratching the back of his head with his right hand.

I stood up and dashed to the door, but suddenly the door slid opened.

"Yuzu? Are you going outside?" Kana was there. I glanced behind her and there stood Yulia, curiously looking at me.

"Umm... no, nothing... just, nothing..." i turned away and walked back to Javi t find him holding his laughter. And of course, death glare.

Yulia and Kana sat with us and we started chatting whatever topic we cluld think of, from sports to cute animals to electronics and so on.

Soon, it was already bedtime. The teachers came to FORCE us in bed.
Everyone is separated by a bolster-like pillow between them and partners are compulsory to sleep next to each other.

I was sleeping at the corner of the room near the door with Yulia beside me and Kana beside her. I can see the whole room if i sit up.

I got into sleep faster than i expected, since its an unfamiliar 'bed' plus...a girl is beside me.

But getting into sleep early doesnt mean im actually used to the 'bed'. I woke up in the middle of the night.

I sat up and grabbed the bottle i had placed beforehand and drank some water. Everyone is sleeping soundly. I turned to Yulia's direction and i froze.
Yulia wasn't there.

Again, she was gone right infront of my eyes (A/N: not really but he's a little paranoia when it comes to Yulia). I panicked a little and went to the door as quiet as i could. I successfully got outside of the room without waking anyone.

Where is she!? Although i came out, i have no idea where to find her. I went to the balcony to calm myself to think

It was raining outside, just a small rain, but its still really cold because of the forest.

I looked down on the path that goes around the resort, i saw a small figure jogging on the path.

IS THAT YULIA!?

The blond hair that reflects light from the faint street lamps, the same jersey inside her bag (he glanced into her bag earlier).

That. Is. Yulia.

What is she doing down there, in the rain, jogging...

Wait, i just asked myself a stupid question, she's jogging. *face palms*
But its raining.

"What do you think you're doing?" A loud voice was heard behind me, i was shocked and scared, its Ten Demons' voice.

"Umm, i was just...toilet..." that voice, its Javi's voice. What is he doing here?

"The toilet is the other way."

"O-oh... im still half asleep, sorry sir."

A thump could be heard suddenly, it was a sound when someone bumped into the wall.

"Argh, i cant really see without my contacts."

"Hey, you, stop moving around. I'll bring you to the restroom."

"N-no, sir. You dont need to, i didnt mean to bother you."

"Its better than you making loud noises by banging into walls the whole night."

"That's true, thank you and sorry for the inconvenience."

Then, footsteps could be heard coming towards my way. I tried to hide at the corner or the balcony to avoid being seen as much as possible.

They reached to the hallway beside the balcony. I was looking through the window to determine their location.

When they were passing through, i saw Javi gesturing a thumbs up towards the window. He knew i was here.

I waited for them to get further away and quickly went back to the room.

Suprisingly, Yulia's already back and is now sleeping soundly. I sighed in relief, thank god she's okay.

I waited for Javi to come back and thanked him for covering me up. He only smiled and hushed me to sleep.

-The next morning-

I woke up reluctantly from the alarm clock Kana had set up. Some are already awake and talking to each other.

I got up and glanced at Yulia. She's still sleeping while Kana is trying to wake Javi up.

I went to take my toothbrush and toothpaste alongside with a change of clothes. I turned around to see Kana wanting to wake Yulia up.

"Wait." I stopped her instincly. She looked at me, frowning.

"She slept late yesterday, its still early, let her sleep." I answered her obvious question of 'why?'. She nodded and walked towards her luggage.

I went to the restrooms to take a morning bath. I went back into the room and most of the students are already awake. I put down my stuff into my luggage and went to wake Yulia -Kana and Javi are still bathing- .

"Hey Yulia, it's already six-thirty. You're gonna be late if you dont wake up now." No response was given.

"Yulia?" I reached out my hand to sway her arm. But it sprang back instantly because her arm was shockingly hot.

I touched her forehead and it was burning. She's having a fever, must be because of yesterday's jog in the rain.

"Yulia, hey, can you hear me!?" I started swaying her to wake her up. Atleast tell me she's consious.

"Mhm..." she turned her head towards my direction and opened her eyes slightly. She was breathing heavily, as if she was suffering.

"Do you wanna get up?"

She nodded slowly. I put my arm behind her back and supported her to sit up.

"Here, drink some water. Does your throat hurt?" I handed her the closest water source there was -my bottle- . (A/N: Indirect kiss!! 0(>/////

"Yulia?" Kana and Javi came back, "what happened!?" They rushed to us and asked.

"She's having a high fever, go inform the teachers." I remained calm.

"Wait..." Yulia called out faintly. She used the aid of my shoulder to stand up, "im fine..."

She took a step forward and instantly went down, i went forward to lessen her impact on the floor.

"No you're not, you cant even stand anymore."

"I'll go inform the teachers now. Javi, you stay here and pack up our stuff." Kana put down her stuff and ran out.

"Was it because of last night?" Javi asked while putting Kana's stuff into her luggage.

"Most probably." I answered and looked at her. She was still breathing heavily.

Not long after, Miss Moa and Mia came to check on Yulia's condition.

Yulia's refusal to the hospital is too determined that made -forced- the teachers to just leave her be with atleast some fever medicine.

Kana helped Yulia change and we ate breakfast together. We continued the trip to the beach.

Yulia was sleepy due to the side effects of the medicine, she was sweating rapidly despite the bus' air conditioner is switched on. She rested her head on my shoulder the whole 2 hours of the journey.

Her fever miracally went down several degrees but not enough to normal body remperature when we reached the resort.

I was told -forced- to take care of Yulia in one of the teachers room -because theres a comfortable bed for her to rest- because im her partner, which im fine with it since all we're gonna do is just play on the beach for the afternoon.

She laid on the bed and went to sleep quite immediately. She wasnt breathing as heavily as this morning. Her face was peaceful and... cute...

"Dont show such a defenseless face infront of a guy." I murmured when my hand reached out by itself to her hair.

"Mhm..." i woke her up...

"D-did i wake you up? Im so sorry, did you h-hear what i said?" I panicked.

She frowned and shook her head.

Thank god she didnt hear that.

We fell into silence and her eyes were staring at the ceiling blankly.

"Sorry..." she said softly, breaking the silence.

"About what?"

"For keeping you here." She glanced at me without turning her head.

"Oh, no, its fine, really. Don't worry about it." I fake laughed alittle, 
"there's aircond here too, dont need to go outside and get tanned."

"Sorry..." she said again, staring at the ceiling.

"I already told you its fine-" i stopped when i see tears running down her cheeks, "Yulia!? What? Why are you crying? Are you hurt anywhere?" I started to panicked.

She wiped her tears away and shook her head.

"Im sorry, for everything... i made you angry and worried, im so sorry..." her voice changed as she started to cry more.

"Hey, hey, no, its alright, i was the one at wrong first. I should be the one to apologize, im sorry."

She shook her head again and got up to sit straight.

"I knew you had some trust issues yet i still did that, that must have hurt you alot. Im so sorry. Plus your wrist is hurting more than the wounds you got on the cliff right? Im sorry about that too." She started crying even more.

I just couldnt bare it anymore, she's crying and what can i do? Just sit there and do nothing!?

"Hey, Yulia... come here..." i said softly and went to her with my arms opened. I hugged her as gently as i could.

I was expecting her to pull away yet she sank into my chest and grabbed my back, making the hug tighter.

"Its fine now, i wont leave you alone anymore. I promise." I started her head.

I glanced at the clock beside me and realized we had been in this position for over 15 minutes, but it only felt like 5 minutes.

Was it that long!? And Yulia's not even struggling.

"Yulia?" I pulled away from the hug easily and looked at her.

She... she's sleeping soundly in my arms. I quickly released her and put her in bed while.

Gosh, im gonna lose it if this goes on.

I stood up and turned away from the bed, wanting to go rest on the sofa. But something grabbed the edge of my shirt. I turned around and was shocked to see Yulia staring at me with puppy eyes.

"W-what?" I can feel myself blushing a little.

"I thought you said you wont leave me alone..." she pouted with teary eyes.

"I-i-i-im not, im just...just sitting down, see..." i sat down on the chair beside the bed, "im not gonna leave you alright, here, prove," i held her hand tightly, "i wont released this hand until you wake up, alright?"

I regretted right after the second i said that. The smile she gave me was so captivating. How can i endure this...

(Yulia's  POV)

That's why i hate fevers, i'll turn all emotional and start crying 
uncontrollably. Ugh it's so annoying.

"Hey, Yulia... come here..." Yuzu said softly.

He came onto the bed and hugged me gently. So gentle that it seems like he's holding a baby animal.

Its so warm. I need to pull away but its so comfortable, so warm. I dug my head deeper into his chest and hugged him tightly.

"Its fine now, i wont leave you alone anymore. I promise." He said as he started my head.

His hands are so warm. Its not as hot as yesterday's. Its so warm... so warm...

I slept not soon after because it was just too comfortable. I dont know what happened after i slept but the whole time, a warm hand was holding mine tightly, making me sleep at ease.

There is only one person's hands that can make me be at ease, and the owner of these warm hands, belongs to this particular person, Yuzuru Hanyu.