Chapter 5 - The Field Trip

The Disappearing Loneliness

(Yulia's POV)

Two buses were by the roadside outside the school. Students carrying luggages were walking into the school, several saw each other and waved and a huge smile was carved on their faces.

I turned away, i dont want to see these. Never again. Why do i have to come to school...

I walked inside the auditorium. A lot of the students were already here, well most of them belong in my class because of Ten Demons' warning.

Ten Demons was standing infront of the auditorium. I walked towards him while taking the form out of my backpack, acting brave and strong but obviously being a coward inside. He looked at me and nodded.

I turned around and almost bumped into someone.

"Wow! Careful!" It was Javi, Yuzu's bestfriend.

I bowed alittle and walked to my luggages.

"Hey, Yulia, wait up." Javi said from behind.

I turned around. He gave the form to Ten Demons and turned to me with a huge smile. I obviously frowned. He walked towards me with his luggages.

"Join us." he gestured to the direction where Yuzu and Kana is.

I shook my head, but he still followed me to my luggages. I turned to him and stared at him when i reached my belongings.

"If you wont join us, we'll join you." he said with an 'i win' expression, then shouted, 
"Yuzu! Kana!" while waving to them.

They turned to our direction and looked suprised -and a little troubled and confused-, but they still walked towards us with their luggages.

Oh my god Yuzu! You had already ruined my peaceful life and now you brought along your friends to DESTROY my peaceful life!

"Good morning Yulia!" Kana greeted me with a smile.

"...morning..." i greeted back softly.

The group turned to an awkward silence.

"Yuzu! Why are you so quiet today? Are you sick?" Javi asked his usually talkative friend, no response was given.

"Yuzu? Hellooooo, earth to Yuzu. YUZU! YUZURU HANYU!" Javi started to get impatienece and started shouting.

"Huh? Yes. What?" Yuzu seemed like he just woke up from a hundred year slumber.

"Whats wrong? Youre not like your usual self? You didnt even greet Yulia." Javi shook his friend's shoulder.

"Oh, yeah... Umm... Hey..." Yuzu raised up his hand alittle, but didnt make eye contact with me.

I nodded in response, still looking at him. He seems different, he's not as energetic as usual.

We fell into silence again.

"Sooooooo, what did you guys bring?" Javi tried to start a topic.

"I brought some monsquito repellants, some medication stuff just in case, som-"

"Meditation stuff?! How can you bring that for 'just in case?!"

"Medication! Not meditation! Geez, get your ears checked."

"Yeah, yeah, the forever walking 7-eleven Kana, the Kanana-eleven. Ow! Stop it! Sorry!"

"Stop calling me that! Its just in case!!"

Javi and Kana started talking and playibg around nonstop while Yuzu was daydreaming. Nana means seven in Japanese and i guess Javi was making a pun out of Kana's name with seven-eleven.

I looked at the daydreaming Yuzu. Why is he so spaced out today? I raised up my hand and poked him.

He looked so shock when he got poked, he looked at me and blink several times, opened his mouth wanting to say something but closed them and sigh alittle.

He then ran towards the now running around Javi and Kana and joined them.

Is he avoiding me? Or ignoring me?

Why do i feel so disappointed?

My heart... It hurts...

What is this feeling? It seems familiar...

Oh i remember...

Its the feeling when i get too close with a person, and getting left out in the end...

I should have known...

NEVER.

TRUST.

ANYONE.

(Yuzuru's POV)

I cant. I cant face her. I want to know the truth. I really want to, but i cant find that picture, nor can i ask her directly. Was she one of those that left me alone? Was she one of my friends? Does she remember the pitiful me?

So many questions are floating in my head! Should i ask her directly? What should i do? Urgh im so-

A slight forced was placed on my arm, i was shocked, someone poked me. I looked at the person that poked me, it was... Yulia?!

Should i ask her now? I should... Wait, i shouldnt...

Argh, i dont know! Whats Javi and Kana doing? Kana's getting teased by Javi again... Better help her.

I ran to them, leaving Yulia behind. I know i shouldnt do that but i cant face her.

"Yuzu, why are you here?" Javi stopped and asked the approaching me.

"Yuzu! Did you just leave her there like that?! Lool how sad she is! What happened to you? Arent you the one that wants to help her? Yuzu, dont just stay quiet. Tell us, did something happened between you two?" Kana asked tonnes of questions.

"I dont know how to explain."

"A long story?" Javi asked.

"Not really..."

"Then tell us!" Javi and Kana shouted in unison.

I took a deep breath and explained everything, about how troubled i am about Yulia being my elementary schoolmate or not.

"Just ask her!" Javi said and wanted to go to Yulia.

"Wait, no!" Kana and i shouted simutanously, with me grabbing him. He looked at us, confused, with the 'whats so hard about asking?' face.

"You already lost her trust by leaving her like that. Now all you can do is just wait for her to get that bit closer to you. But now it'll be harder since she feels betrayed and you have to overcome her fear and hatred towards you too." Kana analyzed.

"Well, congrats Yuzu. You'll be stuck with your elementary problems forever." Javi teased.

"Is that a pun?" Kana asked.

"In some way, yes. Since the problem is somehow elementary..."

At this point, no matter how much i want to punch Javi. I cant. Im more worried about Yulia and myself. We're gonna be partners in these three days...

What should i do?

"Everyone! Line up side by side with your partners!" Mr Tart shouted.

"I'll definately make her trust me again in this field trip." i said before going to Yulia.

"Its not like we dont know youre gonna do that." Javi snorted, "but where's the confidence coming from?"

"Well, first i'll say that outloud... And then all i have to do is accomplish what i said." i gave a small smirk before going to Yulia.

Yuzuru, believe in yourself.

(Author's POV)

"Remember, your partners are like your soulmates, i mean family, your bestfriend, your lover?... Well, whoever thats close to you... You will start this trip together, and will end it together, no leaving each other behind. If one falls, the other will be there to catch him or her. Understand?" Mr Tart gave a briefing.

"Sir, what are we doing today?" A boy from another class asked.

"Calculating the distance, speed, displacement and velocity from the school to the next location."Mr Tart answered sarcasticly.

The students laughed.

"We're going for jungle trekking today, but before that, who's hungry?" Mr Tart asked.

Some students raised up their hands.

"Hmm, not alot but its fine. We're going to eat breakfast, then we head to the park," 
he looked at Yuzuru and Yulia's direction,

"Yuzu! What are you two doing? Are you even listening?"

Yuzuru and Yulia raised up their heads in shock. Yulia was reading the tentatif while Yuzuru was staring at the tentatif but his thoughts were ideas on how to make Yulia trust him again.

"Owh, sorry sir. We were just reading the tentatif and thinking how to inform you guys that it exists, so that the teachers doesnt need to tell us what we're doing next." Yuzuru made an excuse.

The students started looking through their bags and took out the tentatif with a sudden realization expression.

"Good work, Yuzu! Even i forget it exists, " Mr Tart laughed alittle, "well i guess everyone knows what we're doing next, so lets go!"

"Sorry about that." Yuzuru whispered to Yulia.

Yulia ignored him.

They dragged their luggage to the bus silently.

"Lemme help you with that." Yuzuru wanted to lend a hand to Yulia.

She was struggling on lifting her luggage onto the bus. But she turned to another side and glared at Yuzuru. All he can do is just back up and let her do her own work.

He let Yulia get onto the bus first and followed behind her.

"Do you wanna sit at the windows or outs-" before he could even finish his question, Yulia just went inside a seat and sat at the windows, not looking at Yuzuru, just looking outside.

Yuzuru stayed silent for awhile when she did that. He quietly sat beside Yulia and said nothing.

Javier and Kanako saw what happened as they were behind Yuzuru. They patted his shoulder and gestured 'do your best' to him. Yuzuru nodded and gave a bitter smile.

After everyone boarded the bus, the teachers started counting and calling out names as confirmation. After the confirmations were done, the bus started to head out.

The whole journey was quiet, but talking could still be heard. Everyone was either sleeping or talking, except for Yuzuru and Yulia. They were neither tired nor talking to each other, Yulia kept staring outside while Yuzuru was thinking about the solutions.

Not long after the bus left school, it stopped at a hawker centre.

"Students! When you get down from the bus, go take the food on the table. There's two choices, A and B. When you get your food, find a seat together with your partner and you can start eating. Understand? Any questions?" Miss Moa said.

Miss Moa is one of the female teachers that are on the trip. Her name is Mao Asada, but students find it boring to call her Miss Mao, not to mention her sister, Mai, is called as Miss Mia, so they just called her Miss Moa.

"No questions? Good, now come on, lets eat!!" She jumped in excitement and led the students into the centre.

The sight around the table that has the food are like beggers in a 5-star buffet restaurant, the students were pushing each other to take food. Even Ten Demons cant do anything to them.

"Its chaos in there, do you want me to help you take yours? A or B?" Yuzuru turned to Yulia.

Yulia didnt answer.

"Hey guys! I got ours! Two As and two Bs, just pick which you want." Javier walked towards their direction with four polystyrene boxes.

"When did you... How..." everyone was shocked, they just got down the bus and not even 5 minutes he got back safely -from the riot- with FOUR boxes of food.

"Hehehe, dont ask too much. Take it or leave it. Come on, we need to find seats." Javier replied and started walking to an empty table that can be sat by four people.

Yuzuru and Kanako followed him but Yulia didnt, she's still thinking she should follow or not, she still wants to ignore them. She glanced at the origin of the food, now it looks like a scene where Istore is giving out free smartphones and tablets with forever warranty. She absolutely does not want to be involved.

Out of the blue, Yulia felt someone tapped her shoulder. It was Kanako, she realized Yulia wasnt following them so she went to get her.

"Come on, i know you're angry at Yuzu, but dont make yourself unhappy in this field trip. Its a field trip for god sakes! Its a time when you collect memories, with your friends and also -somehow- the teachers." Kanako tried to convince Yulia.

When Yulia was still considering, Kanako added, "you can ignore us after the trip, i dont mind. I swear, we will not talk to you if you dont want us to after the trip. Deal?" She held up her hand.

Yulia stared at her hand for awhile, then shook it, "deal..." with a low voice, she agreed.

Kanako smiled and they walked back together to the table.

(Yuzuru's POV)

"Get back on the bus, with your partners." Miss Moa guided everyone up the bus.

"Are you still going to sit inside?" i asked Yulia, again.

No response, she ignored me, again.

What can i do?! She keeps ignoring me! If this keeps up, im never going to know the truth! How can i gain her trust?!

"Hey Yuzu, can you exchange places with Javier for awhile? On the bus i mean." Kanako gave a small request before going up the bus.

"I dont mind but..." I glanced at Yulia.

"Sure." She deadpanned and went up the bus.

Im shocked. Im really shocked. Does she hate me that much?!

"Looks like you really made her mad, bro." Javi patted my shoulder and went up.

"Come on, i need to ask you something." Kana said in a serious tone.

As Kana requested, i sat beside her. And Yulia and Javi were sitting together.

"Kana, are you even trying to help me?" i asked as the bus started moving.

"What?" Kana asked back.

"If im sitting with you here, how can i gain her trust? How can i know the truth?"

"So you're gaining her trust to know the truth, ONLY the truth?"

"Yeah."

Kana sighed with anger, with a slight disgusted and disappointed face.

"What?" i asked.

"What are you going to do after you know the truth?"

"...i dont know..." i shrugged.

"You dont know... Yuzu, you're just using her, you're not becoming her friend. You're just going to hurt her even more. I cant believe you." Kana shook her head as she crossed her arms and leaned back on the chair.

"What are you talking about? I-"

"Everybody! We're here! Grab your things for jungle trekking and wait for the next order, alongside with your partner! Leave your luggage in the bus."

"What im saying is, you have a motive getting close to her, and you arent even thinking of continuing the 'friendship'. You dont need to tell me your excuses, just think by yourself." Kana concluded before going to Javi.

I stood there, thinking back what she said.
Am i really like that? I've never tought of ending our friendship, i just... want the truth... I guess my desire of wanting to know the truth is overflowing.

I sighed and shook my head. What's wrong with me, im not myself at all, forcing a person to talk to me like that. Thank you Kana, for reminding me who i truly am.

"Everyone, gather up!" Miss Moa shouted.

We gathered at a large grass plain right beside a mountain forest. We were divided into three group together with the students on the other bus, we were told to stay between the teachers separating the groups as its more easier to handle if something happens.

"And one more thing, hold hands with your partners, give and receive support during the process, there will be some natural obstacles such as some slippery dirt roads, steeps hills, large steps, and also... leeches."

Everyone gasped and some showed disgusted faces.

"So, be careful when you cross the wet parts. Thats all, now lets start jungle trekking!"

The energetic teacher, Miss Mia, has two personalites. Serious and strict in class but also one of the most energetic and fun teacher outside the class.

We started at a narrow path, well, not a path but more like roots of the trees that grew too long and dirt are stuck between them.

"Holding hands, huh?" I murmured and turned to Yulia, who was already following the group at the starting.

"I think she doesnt want to hold you hand." Javi patted my shoulder.

"Ya' think?" I gave back a sarcastic reply. He just smiled.

I sighed and ran towards the starting point and cut infront of Yulia. She looked shock for awhile, but then turned back to poker face.

I didnt want to force her to take my hand, but whenever there's a huge step, of course you'll be thinking of helping others right? I turned back and squatted, holding out my hand to her. She looked troubled, she didnt want to take it, until some students were yelling from the back saying that we're being too slow.

She reluctantly grabbed my wrist and i pulled her up. She immediately let go after she came up the step. She turmed and reached out for Kana, and Kana did the same to Javi.

We continued the trekking and warnings could be heard time to time from the front telling us theres going to be spiky plants and such.

Soon, we reached a very steep path going down the hill. There was a rope tied on the side and we were suppose to grab the rope as a support for not sliding or falling down the path.

The path was really slippery, plus if you're not wearing suitable shoes, you might just slip and fall -roll- . We were advised to turn our backs to the front and start going down backwards while pulling the rope to gain friction and stability.

Each step i took, i'll looked at Yulia. At the first glance, i thought she was helpless and weak, atleast tired, but no, no signs of fear not sweat on her. In fact, she's going down quite fast that i have to force myself to catch up to her speed -which i slid several times- .

Next, we came to a much more narrow and dangerous path, an edge. The ropes were tied along the trees on the right side while the left side was a huge downhill. We were adviced to hold hands and never let go of the ropes and our partner.

I turned to Yulia, she didnt look at me. That means shes not gonna accept my hand huh.

We started going onto the path, not following the instructions of holding hands. Which an accident did occur almost instantly.

"Are you sure you dont want to hold hands?" I asked without turning my head, it was so steep and slippery, some partners saved each other by balancing them could be seen at the front, which made me think that its more safer to do it.

But no response was given, just seconds after that, some ruffling sound could be heard behind me.

I turned back to see what was going on, all i could see was Kana holding onto the rope, bending and reaching down the edge along with Javi holding onto her, supporting her from falling. Both of them had a frightened face.

This scene was frightening but something worse hit me,

Yulia wasnt there.