Chapter 3 - The Exchanged Promise

The Disappearing Loneliness

(Author's POV)

"Oh no. Im so dead!!" Yuzuru shouted as he threw -put down harshly- his bag. He then placed his palms at his forehead and elbows on the table.

Yulia looked at his actions curiously, wanting to ask questions but still doesnt want to open up herself to Yuzuru.

Yuzuru raised up his head and looked at Yulia. Yulia blinked twice and turned her head back to her book.

"Did you bring your Physics notes?" Yuzuru asked.

Yulia turned back at him, and nodded.

"Have you done the homework he gave us last week?"

Again, Yulia nodded.

"Great!" he beamed a huge smile at her.

He picked up his bag and took his Physics exercise book. He then remembered something, he forgot to ask for her permission to look at her homework, what is he getting excited for? Its not guaranteed that she'll lend him her book.

His actions stopped in mid-air, thinking about how he should cover up his excitement if it turns into disappointment. Then, a book slowly slid onto his table. He looked at the book at glanced beside him, it was Yulia sliding her book to him.

Yuzuru was stunned, he didnt thought that Yulia was going to lend him her book. He stared at the book and looked at Yulia.

"Can i....uhh, look at your answers?" he asked politely, telling her the objective of him borrowing the book before she regrets.

"As long as you keep the secret." again, the serious tone.

"Did you think i was going to blackmail you?!" Yuzuru joked.

But Yulia took it seriously, she stared at him for several seconds and started pulling back her book.

"Wait wait wait wait!!! I was just joking! Just joking!" He quickly place his hand on the book, stopping it from going back to its original place, "didnt i said that your secret's gonna be safe with me? Trust me."

Yulia let go of her book and continue on what she was doing. No response was given for him, but somewhere deep in her heart, she knew she could trust him.

Yuzuru opened both the books at started looking back and forth from his book and her book, tapping the end of his pen on them and nodding his head.

Yulia got a little annoyed by the tapping and looked at what he was doing. He was checking the answers instead of copying them. She got curious and leaned closer to look at his book, the answers were there. She tilted her head and frowned.

"I did the homework, just needed to double-check the answers." Yuzuru watched as Yulia stare at him weirdly, "it was just an exaggeration about the 'im so dead!', i wont be able to calm down if i dont double-check them." He explained.

Again, Yulia was shocked. She was just wondering why he acted so depressed eventhough he had completed the homework, and Yuzuru just answered her. It really seems like Yuzuru knows how to read her mind.

"But how do you do the last question? We still havent learn it yet." Yuzuru asked as he saw the girl's neat physics formula and calculation on the page, while his book was empty and clean, only with the question at the top.

Yulia looked at her book, then Yuzuru's book. She flipped several pages earlier on Yuzuru's book to read the notes he wrote.

"Just apply the formula." Yulia answered.

Yuzuru frowned. What does flipping back the pages help? He flipped Yulia's book to compare the notes. He was so shocked and dumbfolded when he saw complete different notes from her book. He looked at her full of amaze, while she just stared at her notes.

"D-did you do the notes b-by yourself?" Yuzuru, being so amazed to even talk properly. Yulia nodded.

"This is s-so detailed! Can i-"

"Class! Go back to your places, take out your exercise book, write down the answers on the board!" Yuzuru was interrupted by their physics teacher, Tatsuki Machida. He is also known as Mr. Tart within Yuzuru, Javier and Kanako, its nickname they gave him secretly.

He's a fun teacher, but a scary-strict-playful kind of fun. He jokes around sometimes but his his face doesnt say so, forever poker face, unless he smiles. He's very smart and sometimes gets out of topic from physics and start talking about some random knowledge that no one understands.

"-and the last question, YUZU!" Tatsuki started calling out names for them to write down their answers on the board.

"But sir, we havent learned that yet!" Yuzuru raised his hand and replied.

Tatsuki just shook his head and held up his whiteboard marker, mouthing 'just try' to Yuzuru. Yuzuru nodded and stood up, looking all confident. But in his heart, he was panicking since he doesnt have an answer written in his book. He couldnt even fold his book page backwards properly.

Yulia saw what was happening to him, she pushed her book into his hands while the teacher wasnt watching. She grabbed his book and pretend that nothing happened. Yuzuru was again, shocked and stunned.

"C-c-can i r-really?!" he asked, half shouting half whispering. Yulia only nodded. "Thank you!"

Yuzuru walked to the front and took the whiteboard marker from the teacher. He quickly write the answers down when Tatsuki is checking the other answers and not behind him. He put -half threw- the marker on the table and walked really fast back to his place.

He sat down and wanted to exchange his book back from Yulia, but Yulia was more focused on looking through his notes. He took the opportunity on looking through her notes also, he turned to the page of the topic they have not learned yet. The notes were detailed but short, not to mention neat. Yuzuru understood the topic just by reading the notes, and he also understood the answer he wrote on the board.

"YUZU!" Tatsuki shouted.

"YES!" Yuzuru, who was too emerged in reading the notes, was shocked and replied by yelling.

"How did you get this answer?"

"By... Calculating?"

The class laughed.

"Of course by calculating! But i thought you said you havent learned this topic yet."

"Uhhhh..." Yuzuru wasnt sure what to answer.

"Revision sir, revision." from the other end of the class, Javier helped Yuzuru.

"Owh, good! Revision is good! Okay carry on with that!" he nodded in agreement and suddenly changed his tone to serious, "and every one of you should learn that from him! Or else! No marks!"

Everyone gasped.

"And that is what Denis will say! Dont be so serious, im just kidding! See, everyone turned emo. Did you know? These feelings are produced from your brains? And also......." he started to explain how out brain creates hormones and everyone got really confused on how what he is saying now has anything to do with physics.

"Sir! Sir! We're studying physics, not biology!" someone was brave enough to interrupt him.

Tatsuki looked at him, then had a facial expression of realization.

"Learn you bio, bio is important! But your friend there is right! We're studying physics, not bio! Good job boy!" he gave a thumbs up to the guy.

He then started class with the answer Yuzuru wrote on the board.

(Yuzuru's POV)

I started to anticipate Tatsuki -tart- to start writing on the board. That means we can have notes, and that leads to how i can see Yulia write her notes!

At the end of the class, Mr. Tart started to write down the notes on the board. I quickly copied them down, then looked at Yulia. Yulia was daydreaming. I took her book quietly and read her notes again.

I knew it, its detailed but theres still something missing, something only Mr.Tart knows and is not written in the text books. I took out my pencil and started writing on her book, filling up the missing points.

Somehow, i was too addicted in filling them, i ended up filling them up for every topic we've learned.

"And this is the exercise!" Mr. Tart yelled.

I saw at the end of my vision there was a moving shadow, it was Yulia, she came back from daydreaming.

"Where's my book?" she called out, started to flip through everything on her table.

"It's with me. Calm down."

She stopped her movements and gave me the 'why you steal my book' face.

"Sorry, there!" i gave her back her book.

She flipped through her book and looked a little shakened.

"I wrote down the things that the text books doesnt have. So yeah..." i explained, a little regretful after seeing her expression.

She nodded. "Thank you..."

"Dont mention it."

We fell into awkward silence after we finished copying the questions.

"Give me your book." Yulia suddenly said.

I was shocked by the sudden request but still gave her my book. She started writing on my book. I leaned over to see what she was writing. Turns out she was filling up the one that i missed!

"You dont need to! I can just borrow your book and write them down!" i quickly said. She looked at me without saying anything, as usual.

"I-if you will lend me your book, of course." i added.

She turned away, then looked at board, then the book, then me. She looked a little troubled. It should be because of her shyness, she cant say what she wants, so why not help her?

"I'll help you copy down the notes on the board also." i said.

She gave me the 'really?! you will?!' expression. It was so cute that i chuckled.

"That means we're gonna exchange note books, okay?"

She nodded.

"And no getting angry or suddenly stop wanting to do so." i added a condition.

She nodded again.

"Promise?"

She only nodded.

"Wheres my answer?"

. . .

Silence from her.

"Promiseeeeee?"

"Promise..."