Chapter 5

In the Darkness, I will find You...

Suho stood up as another surge of strong energy rushed past him, this time stronger than the ones he’d felt before.

This was definitely angel activity and he would be damned if he didn’t find out who was causing it. He’d solve this case if it’s the last thing he did.

He was the guardian in charge of angel activity and no angel could use their powers without him knowing. But he had no record of any angel assigned to this place. Then why was he detecting angel energy?

He had been keeping track of the angel energy to see if there was a pattern but there was nothing he could find except that the angel activity was currently concentrated around Mellow. However right now, it was being detected at a nearby town away from Mellow… Strange…

It couldn’t be a rogue because they had no records of a rogue angel… was it even possible for angels to go rogue? Wouldn’t that wither their wings?

Things didn’t make sense and he needed to solve this mystery…

After all this was the only way he could raise his rank… aside from finding his soulmate – not that he hadn't already tried that.

He had sparkling white wings with golden stripes, and he was the most pious angel – after the elder of course.

If only he’d found his soulmate, he would’ve been an elder himself; but he wasn’t that lucky.

He'd met each and every angel there was on Heavens and had not found his soulmate and that was the last straw but he – Suho – wouldn't give up.

Everyone has a soulmate, maybe his wasn’t created yet…

But that was unlikely…

Desperate for answers he had gone searching for the Angel book of records – list of angel soulmates. But all he found was a blank space in front of his name.

How was it that his soulmate was not listed?

It wasn’t only his name that had a black space in front of it though, there were many other angels whose names had blank spaces in front of them.

But everyone had a soulmate; that was common knowledge.

They needed to mate before they could reach the highest among ranks.

Then how was it that so many of them had no soulmates?

That was not fair!

He was determined there was more to it then visible because Heavens cannot be… not fair.

And so he'd done his research, he even went to meet the leader of the Reapers –  angels created as light angels but they turned dark – Zi Tao, the first angel to go dark like that. However Zi Tao had an absurd story to tell that Suho refused to believe.

But with every passing day, Zi Tao’s words seemed more and more realistic.

Zi Tao had said that he turned dark because he couldn’t find his soulmate and that emptiness eventually turned him away from light… so much so that he gave up his duties as a guardian angel. He couldn’t do anything and eventually his wings started to turn from sparkling white to sparkling black. That’s when the Elder assigned him the duty to the souls of humans who'd died to their destined places, and he became a Reaper…

But the story hadn’t stopped there. Zi Tao had gone on about how he became the leader of the reapers, saying he rose in the ranks because he was lucky he found his soulmate amongst humans.

Which was impossible because angels did not have human soulmates – at least according to Suho’s knowledge or all angel books.

How could it be when all sorts of interaction with humans was strictly prohibited?

Had Zi Tao met the human, he’d have broken a divine law resulting in him losing his wings but Zi Tao still had his wings.

“She was one of the souls I had to to the heavens” he had explained to Suho.

Zi Tao couldn’t lie because his was an angel, so he couldn’t even accuse him of that but still Suho had argued about it, quoting the divine literature.

However Zi Tao explained that he too believed so, that they - Angels didn’t have human soul mates. That was why he had gone black. Had he known it was a possibility, he’d have waited patiently, not felt completely hopeless and would not have been a reaper today.

“… I got really lucky, you see.” He had said.

But what about me? Suho had thought. He wasn’t a reaper, nor did he plan on becoming one.

Zi Tao had merely patted his head saying ‘I’m sorry mate… you can always join our ranks, I’d be happy to have you as a reaper.’

And so here he was, trying to find this rouge angel activity because if not for his soulmate, this was the only thing that would ensure his raise among the ranks – solving the Xhizer Mystery.

Whoever this Xhizer dude was, he, Suho, would find him and have him enlisted properly as every other angel.

But some stupid person had to go and steal his personal journal, the one he had his research recorded in… now he couldn’t even consult his personal notes.

Another mighty surge of angel energy rushed past him, pulling him out of his chain of thoughts and Suho spread his wings, making his way over to the place he felt the energy coming from.

……………………..

He didn’t even notice the blade piercing through his shoulder, all that mattered was that she was safe, now that he was here for her. Heart beating faster than ever Luhan wrapped his arms protectively around Mei engulfing her in his warmth and a mighty surge of energy went through him, calming his heart beat.

Her body went limp in his arms and he felt her losing consciousness. She was so fragile, like a doll who’d break at the slightest touch. He’d never forgive himself for putting her through all of this…

if only he hadn’t left and had been by her side like he was supposed to be, dammit.

Right now all that mattered was that she was … alive.

He gently caressed her face with his fingers, then moved them across, her checking her for any other injuries before sending a surge of his healing energy to her, calming her down. Thankfully there wasn’t any major injures.

When he felt her breathing get better he stood up gently, carrying her bridal style. Her arms neatly folded in on her stomach. All thoughts rushed out of his mind except for one.

He was here to stay, for he will keep her safe.

And as he walked, carrying her to the human fair – she needed to be around her kind – he didn’t notice his blood, falling from his shoulder, mingling up with hers from the almost healed scratches on her arms.

The thunder raged harder around them drenching them as the rain started to pour hard. And Luhan pulled her closer to him, fusing her with his form. His hold grew tighter around her. He leaned a little forward so that his body would protect hers from the direct hit of the rain drops, unconsciously activating a shield around them that deflected the rain drops from falling on them.

He might not have wings to shade her but he had his powers.

He stared up at the sky with pleading eyes, praying silently for her before moving his eyes back to her slightly trembling, unconscious form in his arms. He couldn’t care less if someone saw him because all that mattered was to get her to safety as soon as possible.

Her wounds were almost completely healed thanks to his healing energy; however he had no idea if it’d heal the mental trauma she had faced and this not knowing was killing him on the inside.

They reached the book fair in no time, Mei still unconscious in his arms as Luhan considered what he needed to do.

He could go inside the fair to ask help and risk exposure but that would cause more trouble than solving the problem at hand. He needed to stay by her side and he couldn’t do that if he got exposed so despite wanting to risk all he decided to leave her in plain sight for people to find her; after all, she was out of danger… he had made sure of that. 

He gently laid her on the dry floor in front of the book fair, in plain sight. Thankfully no human was outside at that moment to see him. She laid there peacefully as if completely oblivious to what had happened a while ago.

Instinctively Luhan found himself leaning in, he caressed her face with his, their noses touching as he put their foreheads together, closing his eyes, silently praying.

When he opened his eyes however, he found himself looking directly into her dazed eyes, still struggling to open fully. Before she could wake up completely, he made himself invisible because he'd felt another human approaching.

Luhan saw her human friend rushing towards them as if he had lost his senses calling out to her like a mad man. Luhan’s job here was done.

The human was here and she was safe.

The storm had calmed down by now, Luhan turned around for one last look at his soulmate, who was now being lifted up by her human friend as he called her name over and over again. She still had her eyes closed.

A gust of wind blew past him, carrying his scent towards her. A moment later, Mei felt her nostrils fill up with an all too familiar scent, a dandelion caressing her skin as it brushed past her and finally she opened her eyes, gaining consciousness.

…………………………

The boy was an absolute fool!

How could he leave her alone after Baekhyun had gone out of the way to warn him? Sometimes humans acted in strange ways. It was a good thing he didn’t depend on them.

So he had followed the girl. And a good thing he did because otherwise it would have been worse. He envied himself for being such a genius. Disguising like an old man and all.

C’mon? How many angels can go around saying they beat up humans disguised as one of them??? None.

Yes, he – Baekhyun, was definitely a genius.

It was only after when the men had started to chase after the girl did he realize that maybe his beating them up had added fuel to what was already to come. It wasn’t like they could change the course of destiny.

He watched from a distance when the men cornered her. The darkness started to engulf them when twilight set in. He looked up at the sky when he felt a cold breeze rush past him, he was right again; indeed the storm was coming.

And as he watched, it took every ounce of self-control he had in him to stop himself from to going barging in there and beating them up.

No. he couldn’t, because Luhan should be here soon and Baekhyun needed to know how long it took before he came for her.

That boy needs to stop running from destiny, after all...

He had told the girl to call him, maybe he should have just said Luhan’s name so she’d know who he was referring to but then it would have been less dramatic and he needed to leave an impression.

Well forgive an angel for having a thing for theatrics!

He had things under control in case Luhan didn’t show up because he hadn’t saved the girl all those years ago just to see her die at the hands of some filthy goons, it was not her time and she would not go through any such pain on his watch.

Rogue he might be but he was still a guardian angel and there was a limit to the things he’d let happen to the one he was watching over.

He smiled when he saw the girl pushing past them and running. He had even sent a gust of energy that hit the men at the back and they fell, giving her more time to run ahead. However it wasn’t much to get noticed. And the men soon caught up with her again.

A while later, he had almost lost it. The storm hit hard, raging harder every passing second, thunder struck and Baekhyun flew towards them.

The girl had her eyes shut, quietly praying and he could hear her loud and clear, tears trickling down her face.

Please save me… please just save me!

Just then, Luhan finally showed up and Baekhyun stopped midflight. A proud smile catching his lips as he saw him going berserk on the men. He kept hovering, watching over them…

With every surge in Luhan energy, Baekhyun countered with his healing energy. So that guardian angel – more like the ambitious-pain-in-the- – Suho would stay distracted.

He couldn’t let them catch Luhan, not now, not when the boy was finally doing the right thing…

However his happiness was short lived. He couldn’t believe his eyes when he saw him leave before the other boy showed up.

How could he?  

Maybe Baekhyun had underestimated the damage that E…evil Bastard had done to the boy. Frustrated, Baekhyun ran a hand across his face, as the wind rush past him.

The storm had calmed down by now and he decided it was high time he took matters into his hands.

They just need a little push.

After all, it was for their best and it just so happened that Baekhyun knew just the right thing to do. He smirked that naughty smile of his, as he spread his magnificent wings and let the wind carry him away with it.

…………………

Sehun almost had a heart attack when he saw Mei lying on the floor outside the book fair, he ran forward calling out to her. When he neared her he almost dropped dead at the sight of her clothes ripped and covered in blood. Seeing that she was unconscious made things worse.

For a second there he thought he was too late. The worst came crashing on to him and he found himself bending down to carry her up, eyes blurred with tears that had started to fall out on their own, to hell with his face mask. In his hurry to get to her, he had left with the mask still on, not that it mattered.

“Mei…” he called out like a mad man, and maybe it was his loud screaming that had people gathered around them in no time. A chilly wind rushed past them and he saw Mei struggling to wake up, a few seconds later while he collected himself to face her, she barely managed to open her eyes but it was enough for him to get his senses back.

With her still in his arms, Sehun ran towards the car he had parked just a few blocks away to take her to the nearest hospital, only one thought in his mind.

Dammit Mei, please be okay!

……………………….

The next day when she woke up Mei found herself in a hospital bedroom with a half asleep Sehun sitting beside her bedside, hands folded on her bed and head resting on it. He woke up a while later, panicking and shooting questions at her about what happened but she remembered…

“Nothing?” Sehun, perched on the seat beside her hospital bed, asked flabbergasted. “So you honestly don’t remember anything?”

She tried thinking hard, she remembered going to the market, being followed, being scared and then…

Nothing…

“I know I was running, I remember calling you and then …” she pushed herself to think, but it didn’t help.

She'd almost given up when she remembered that all too sweet scent, that filled itself up in her nostrils. A slight blush crept up on her face as she felt her body calming down at the very thought of it. But she didn’t say anything about it.

Sehun stared at her questionably for a while before turning back at the doctor.

“Then how do you explain the blood?” he asked frustrated.

“I fell, that’s how I twisted my ankle and hurt my arms…” she murmured. As she stared down at her arms to find them completely unscratched, she clearly remembered she was bleeding; things didn’t make sense and her head had started to hurt now.

Sehun didn’t probe her any further. She was tired, he could see that. He himself hadn’t slept throughout the night, sitting beside her bedside. He had called Anna and informed the boys about Mei once he had handed her over to the doctors. They’d be coming to meet them soon.

After she had woken up in the car to the sight of a panicked Sehun driving crazily with a face mask on, she had assured him over and over again that nothing had happened but how could he believe that looking at her, she clearly was in shock and trying to make him feel better.

And even though he hated to admit it, he worried for her, Dammit.

Tucking her back into her bed and ordering her to go to sleep, Sehun had walked out, cornering her doctor to give him details. And as the doctor explained.

“I know but there was not even a single scratch…” Sehun interjected.

“Mr. Oh” The doctor began again “its best if we let her rest for now, she is alright. I have given her a thorough checkup, she just has a twisted ankle and it will be okay in a few days.”

“But how come she doesn’t remember?”

“It could be temporary amnesia. Like Miss Mei had said, she was afraid and well, it is traumatizing to have a bunch of men chase after you or worse attack you.”

“So you’re saying there is nothing to worry about?”

“Yes, there is absolutely no need to worry. She is completely fine. If you want, we can discharge her…”

“No, not now, not until her foot has completely healed.” Sehun said, determined to make sure she was a hundred percent ok.

The doctor smiled politely at him and nodded her head. Sehun returned back to Mei’s room, seating himself on the chair beside her bedside once again.

He looked at her sleeping form, smiling lightly as he saw her murmur in her sleep. He let out a sigh of relief, he’d have her get him a full facial treatment once things where back to normal, for he was sure he might have grown frown lines thanks to the scare she put him through.

The door was knocked and a Nurse walked in carrying a bunch of shopping bags in the room and Sehun got up to ask them who sent them.

“These were dropped at the reception with this note.” She explained.

Sehun read the note.

Miss Mei, returning your belongings, you left them outside the book fair, we hope you are doing well.

Sehun shrugged dismissing the nurse as he recognized Mei’s bag in the middle of all other shopping bags, He’d thank the book fair Manager for their kindness later. He returned back to his chair and before he knew exhaustion from last night caught up with him and he found him sleeping next to her once again.

……….

Baekhyun smiled to himself as he saw the human boy fall asleep, the girl’s bag now sat beside her on her bed, the journal he had slipped to the girl at the Junk shop, the one he had stol- er, borrowed from Suho, peeking out of it, just like how he had planned.

He could hardly wait for the morning. 

 


A/N

Hey Guys! so here's an update atlast.

I was planning on updating sooner but i got sick, am fine now Alhamdulillah, thanks for patiently waiting, i hope its worth the wait and to the new readers, thanks for subscribing guys, i hope you all like the story.

Well what do you think? ... So i know its another cliffhanger... But its no fun waiting without one. Lemme know how you'd want the story to progress... 

share, subscribe, upvote and comment :P ... 

P.S: Did you guys see Luhan's new photo shoots? here's the photo spam! 

*Damn Lulu my poor heart can take only so much!* 

If you haven't already checked out Lu's song "Medals", you're missing out big time, its absolutely amazing! Here's a link https://soundcloud.com/k2nblog23/luhan-medals

Can't wait for his new single "Promises" ... are you guys anticipating? 

Well... Until next time then <3 XoXo