Chapter 3

In the Darkness, I will find You...

The wind rushed louder and the curtains flew, revealing the darkness of night outside. Mei walked over to shut the window to her room. Thankfully Anna hadn’t questioned her much and they had enjoyed the bonfire, returning home late. Sehun, Jongin and Kyungsoo had left after dropping them.

She sat back on the bed. Turning on the bedside lamp she grabbed the journal she had been reading from the side table. Aside from various accounts of Xhizer, the journal seemed to have a lot more in it and the more she read the more curious she got.

It seemed like the owner was either working on writing a fictional novel or maybe… just maybe…

Nah, it can’t be true, it’s just someone’s ideas, Mei assured herself as she turned the page and there were paper clippings attached with personal notes from the owner.

 


The Encyclopedic Book of Angels

(From the personal collection of Guardian Angel, Suho)


Humans

Humans, born of another... unlike us who were created from light.

Identifying features include... a distinctive ability to feel and reciprocate emotions...

Don’t possess wings... do not sparkle...

...or have the Echo of Truth... so can Lie...

...and perform other sins without immediately suffering the consequences....

...Can take another life unjustly (called Murder)

Commonly found in two genders, male and female, with distinguishing physical characteristics. 

Angels: 

What we are - Not born but created from Light.

There are two types of Angels, based on the sort of duties they perform - Angels of Light and Angels of Dark.

Angels of Light carry blessings... listen to prayers and grant wishes.

Angels of dark enforce Law and order... carry divine wrath... as well as collecting souls of the ones who die... and lead them to their eternal destiny... 

All angels can recognize their soul mates, *

Both types have a strong sense of right or wrong, so when an angel does something wrong, his own guilt causes his wings to wither.

An angel, by his nature, cannot kill another of its kind under any circumstances without suffering dire consequences...

... Do not feel Emotions, which are the identifying characteristic of Humans. In order to obtain better understanding and for the sake of fulfilment of divine tasks, Angels can undergo a Human Emotion Training Program (HETP - for more information, consult page no 99999 Program no longer valid**

... Indeed an angel cannot lie and his words carry the Echo of Truth...

Angels have different ranks. Based on their piety and obedience of the Divine Law. The highest authority resides with the Elder. Who is selected via objective assessment and mutual consent of his peers.

II


Angels can be differentiated in ranks through their wings, the description of which is as follows: 

  • Withered wings: Fallen angels, those cursed to an eternity in hell. Only one known case - Lucifer.
  • White Sparkling wings: Normal Light Angels
  • Black Sparkling wings: Normal Dark Angels
  • White Sparkling wings with Golden Stripes: Higher ranks (in piety) of Angels
  • Almost Golden Sparkling wings: Best, leader. Highest rank, referred to as Elder. Examples - Minhyuk*, Yunho (current)
  • Golden Sparkling wings: References found in Ancient Legends claim that the true Leader of Angels will have golden wings... a child born of an Angel and human) ... an anomaly

III


Notes to Self

*There is an interesting story about an Angel who found his soulmate among the humans... is that even possible? Interestingly, we had a similar rumor some time back in our ranks. I wonder if... 

**There are several points of contradiction within these references.... contradictions I find interesting. For instance, an old legend, relayed to me through my old man (human language is fun to use sometimes), I mean my mentor speak of times when Angels walked among Humans freely. Imagine what it would've been like... disastrous, I think. We simply have too much to offer and the human greed knows no bounds. Still, I find the notion interesting - the Encyclopedia refers to the HEPT. I seem to remember hearing about it early in my creation but if it once existed - doubtful but the Legends originate from somewhere and Angels don't lie...

*** The newer versions of the encyclopedia doesn’t have these cut parts. Also we have an addition to the types of angels – Reapers & Guardian Angels: Subtypes of light angels.

**** Never heard or read about him, must consult the library again.

 




 


Angel book of records

(Property of Angel Library - Restricted section)


Records lost or not known

Angel Rank Duty Current Location
Baekhyun Unknown Guardian Angel Records Lost
Luhan Unknown Unknown Unknown
Xhizer Unknown Unknown Unknown

  MLXVI


Note to Self

*It’s strange that the records are not found and are lost, I think I need to consider what the Reaper was saying, and I’ll look into the matter.

*So I asked around and it seems like no one has heard about Luhan or Xhizer, a few oldies recall hearing the name Baekhyun but they say I can get the information from the Elder.

*Could it be that the three of them is just one angel?


 

 

If this was a novel, Mei would definitely buy its original version. It was so interesting and exciting. There were a thousand questions in her mind regarding the personal accounts of the owner and the various paper clipping all from books related to angels.

Mei had read many novels but never had she seen any such books. She’d go search for this Angel book of records in the library just for the heck of it, although she was sure she won't find it.

She was broken out of her trance by the loud bang of the thunder outside as water started splattering of her window – it had started raining.

She looked across at the clock; it was past midnight, Anna would be fast asleep by now. Still she got up and walked up to her room.

“Anna!” she called knocking.

No reply.

“Anna its really dark and it’s raining loudly, can you please come and sleep with me??” She said knocking once again, pressing her ear on the door to hear her friend’s reply. Anna gave a loud sleepy grunt in reply. Smiling, satisfied, Mei walked back to her own room.

So Anna would join her in a while.

Once again checking the windows were locked and that the curtains were covering the darkness outside from her sight, Mei climbed on her bed, lying down. The side table light still on. She closed her eyes hugging a pillow. 

Trying to shut the sound of the pitter patter of the rain outside because she had a habit of scaring herself in the worst situations. It was no wonder her mind was churning up all possible creepy scenarios from the horror movies she’d watched ever in her life, not to mention the darkness outside in itself was haunting – it had to be a thunder storm tonight.

She tried to distract herself by thinking about what had happened in the jungle but it wasn’t exactly not-creepy, so she started thinking about what she had just read in the journal. The entire theory about humans and angels and Angel system and lastly the list of records.

It all sounded too real to be just a made up story, but this is what a good writer is like, they make you believe what they write is real. She needed to find the owner, so she could return their book and ask when they were planning on finishing it and publishing it. She’d ask Sehun to take her to the junk shop, maybe the guy at the junkshop would know.

But what if some of it was real…

So could there be others like Xhizer

Baekhyun… records lost…

Luhan… Unknown…

She didn’t notice when she drifted off to sleep, mind still thinking.

………………………………………….

 

Luhan was disappointed in himself, how could he not be when he found himself standing outside her home, He had no self-control.

No… it has nothing to do with her. He was here as a guardian angel, making sure the person he’d helped was safe… it was his duty. It had nothing to do with her being his soulmate or the unknown pull he felt towards her.

He stood outside her home under a tree, it was really dark out here, the wind blew around him, he knew it was a matter of time before the storm would hit and it'd start raining. Luhan saw Mei pulling the curtains.

A strange feeling went through him at the sight of her. No… it doesn’t matter. She doesn’t matter… She pulled the curtains and he could not see her from out here, he’d need to go in to see her and it’s not like he wanted to do that.

And then is started raining slightly so he turned around facing the darkness…

“Anna!” … The sound of her voice stopped him in his tracks.

“Anna its really dark and it’s raining loudly, can you please come and sleep with me??”… She sounded scared, not that he cared, and it wasn’t like he was listening. He just happened to have super hearing powers, and it was not his fault, it was his gift from heavens – perks of being an angel.

Maybe he’ll just stay here under the tree, it was pretty dark here, he could contemplate here instead of going back to the jungle, and it’s just as dark here.

Yeah… that’s right, I’ll stay here… It’s not because of her, it’s not like I care, and I just like it better here. Luhan assured himself, he turned around and stared up at the sky. The clouds covered the sky, hiding the stars. The thunder roared once again as it poured heavily.

Luhan closed his eyes, feeling the water falling on his face. Drenching his bare chest and the rest of his body, it just reminded him of all that had happened. He would never get used to this. The first time it had rained was when she had died… 

“She’s dead because of you. You killed her…”

The voice in his head was a constant reminder of what he’d done. And look at him now, risking it all over again. Standing outside a human’s home, even if she’s his soulmate, which is not possible. The feelings within him said otherwise but it didn’t change the fact that he was dangerous… he was bad.

He felt hot tears trickle from his eyes. It didn’t matter how much he cried or prayed for forgiveness, he could never take back what was done. No matter how hard he tried he could never go back in time, he could still not control himself. He was just that foolish…

”Worthless, waste of time…shame to the heavens”

Luhan wiped the tears from his face, anger replacing regret. He was proving them right, by being here. He started to leave, he would never come back, no matter how strong the pull gets, he will control himself, and he’ll stay away like he’s supposed to, in the darkness away from everyone and everything.

“Luhan…”

Luhan came to a halt. A chill running down his spine, he felt a surge of power within him, the wind around him blew harder, and he didn’t notice the dandelions flying around. Mind preoccupied with the voice that had called his name.

Never in all his creation had a human called for him. No one knew about him, not even the angels in the heavens, no one except the Elder knew his name. How was it even possible for her to know…?

Every inch of his being pulled him towards her, it’s not like he could say no to a call, he was a guardian angel, it was his duty to respond when someone called. It had nothing to do with the person calling, No it didn’t matter that the person calling him was none other than his soulmate herself…

……………………………………………………

 

It was pitch black, probably because the head lights had shattered on impact, plunging the moonless night into utter darkness.  

She stared unseeingly into the black night, dazed, disoriented and hurting. There was so much pain, it felt like her entire being was throbbing with it. She was hurting and she wanted her mom. Mommy chased the boo boo away, she always kissed it better. Tears clouded her eyes as she tried to call for her mother. ‘Mo…mmy?’ Her voice barely made it past .

Where was her mom? Where was dad? Why was she on the floor? Why did everything hurt? All she remembered was singing along to her favorite song, then suddenly daddy was slamming on the brakes and everything spun around and then something hit her really hard and then, everything was dark… so dark…

“Mei??” She heard her mother calling, panicked, worry and pain clouding her voice. “Mei!!!”

“Mommy?” She perked at the sound, sitting up, then whimpered as a bolt of pain flashed through her. She slumped back on the ground with a cry.

‘Where are you??? Are you alright?” Her mother’s voice was soothing because she was so near. Everything was going to be okay, mom was here.

‘It hurts,’ she told her mother, ‘everything hurts.’

‘It’s okay, baby…’ her mother sounded weird, like she was moving far away, her words fading, ‘Stay where you are… it’s gonna be alright, okay honey?”

The way she sounded worried Mei. ‘Mommy… where’s daddy?’

There was no reply and it scared Mei. “Mommy??” She waited but her mom didn’t say anything. “Mommy?? Daddy???’ She called louder, terrified. Why weren’t they saying anything? Where had they gone?

Trembling, she tried to move, hands digging into the concrete as she crawled forward, towards the smell of gasoline. Her vision was getting blurry by the second as tears started gathering in her eyes, not because of pain but fear.

‘Mom!!’ She yelled, throwing herself in the direction she’d last heard her, “Dad! Why aren’t you saying anything?”

Something sparked and she felt someone walking towards her. In the pitch darkness, she couldn’t make out who it was, except it wasn’t her mommy or daddy. She felt the stranger bend, next to her and shrank away, even though it didn’t feel like the stranger was a bad person.

“Mommy?” she asked, confused, scared. There was a gentle touch to her temple and then everything went black, just before she heard a loud bang and saw a bright flash of light.

 

Mei woke up with a start, her breathing faster. She still had nightmares about that night, their car had skid off track due to the rain and hit a tree, she had survived somehow, maybe it was that stranger, they must have called the ambulance but her parents had died because the car had exploded due to the gasoline leak before help arrived.

The storm outside roared louder as the thunder stuck, and the lights went out. The sound of the rain banging on her window louder than ever. It was dark, too dark. She hugged her pillow harder.

Shutting her eyes tighter, wishing all of this would just end already. Why isn’t Anna here yet, how was she supposed to go to her room in this darkness. She was scared and she needed to know someone was with her, that she was not alone. So she did the only thing she knew she could. If anything the guardian angels would be here… but somehow she found herself calling for them.

Xhizer… Baekhyun…

“Luhan…

I don’t know if you can hear me, but please stay with me…

I don’t want to be alone.”

Her eyes opened when she felt a light wind grazing her skin as if a dandelion had moved across her face with the wind, a beautiful scent filling up her nostrils. And to her own surprise Mei felt all the worries leaving her, her breathing calmed down as if suddenly she was not alone, not afraid because even in the dark, at this very moment,  it felt like…

Home.

………………………

Baekhyun stared at the girl sleeping peacefully, features soft and relaxed despite the rain and thunder raging outside.

He sighed. It wasn’t really his job anymore, guarding and protecting them – he’d given it up when he’d gone rogue – but he couldn’t turn his back on one calling his name.

 


 

A/N

Well? what do you think of the story so far?

I know its kinda confusing right now but it'll all get cleared up soon...