Chapter 9

In the Darkness, I will find You...

Luhan had risked it once again. Despite the fact that it had injured him he had no regrets. If he had to he would do the same thing again. Because all that mattered was that she was safe. His soulmate, his better half. 

His wound was deep and he was bleeding a lot. The cart had pierced right through his shoulder and when the humans had pulled it up, it was ripped out leaving a fountain of blood in its wake. The good thing was that angels were invisible to humans and they healed fast, although in Luhan’s case – he was an anomaly – therefore the healing process was not as fast, though not as slow as the humans. So he healed a little, that prevented the mess & the attention he’d have attracted because of it. However, it weakened him, a lot more than expected.

It wouldn’t have gotten worse if Mei had gone home directly, that would have given him time to rest & heal faster. But Mei had stayed out late while it drizzled and Luhan – bound to her –  had stayed with her, all that time using his already drained energy to stay invisible and not get wet. By the time they got home Luhan felt light headed as he followed Mei inside.

She had then proceeded to bathe & change while Luhan stayed in her room waiting. By the time she came in her room Luhan was feeling dizzy, his vision was getting blurry. This was the first time in a long time that he was feeling like this. It hadn’t been like this ever since he had joined the ranks, at heavens. But he was no longer in heavens.

He was snapped out of his thoughts when Mei barged into her room searching for something, clutching the shirt that had his blood on it. In that moment of weakness, he had let her see him. He had done it knowing fully well that it was wrong. 

He saw her grabbing the old rusty book she was mostly reading these days; he saw how her expressions changed as she read. The dizziness was beginning to catch up with him; Luhan felt his knees buckle but he managed to straighten himself. He was standing by her window, so he now leaned against the wall to keep standing. And that’s when she started talking.

“You’re not crazy,” he heard her say, he wondered who she was talking to when she took a deep breath and –  

“Luhan”, she said out loud. Luhan stared at her in shock. Did she just address him? A strange surge of energy ran through him, warming him till the tip of his toes. The drizzling outside had turned into a rainstorm by now. 

He didn’t say anything; it was one thing to accidently on purpose let her see him but it was another to engage with her.

All sorts of interaction with humans was strictly forbidden. He was banished but he was not sure if this was something he was allowed to do. Surely this would attract the heavens attention or rather the Elder’s. He had warned Luhan.

Not sure what to do he choose not to reply. Maybe it was a mistake. Maybe Luhan heard it wrong. Maybe it’s the pain of the injury & the dizziness catching up on him.

He felt his energy drain again. This time his vision did get blurry. He felt his knees go weak, the sound of the rainstorm getting muffled. That’s when he heard her again. She sounded far away although he knew she was standing right in front of her.

“I don’t know if you can hear me, maybe I’m just being silly but I know what I saw. I know you are hurt and I’d like to help you… I don’t know…maybe if you could show yourself?” she said looking around her room at nothing in particular.

Luhan wanted to tell her that she wasn’t crazy, that she’s right, he’s hurt but she can’t help him and he can’t show himself to her but he couldn’t… he couldn’t risk it and put her in trouble. This was what he feared, this was why he wanted to stay away. If the heavens got a hint of this, Mei would be in… No he won’t let that happen. He won’t let anyone near her, she was his soulmate and he would protect her even if it was the last thing he did.  

He saw how her shoulders slumped, disappointment visible on her face as she sighed, “At least give me a sign or something that you are here,” she mumbled. And Luhan fought every fiber of his being to not give in to her demands for her own sake, for her own safety. He saw her dim her bed side lamps and lay down on her bed.

He felt his body relax as relief took over. The fact that she was safe and sound in front of him, and that was the last thing he remembered of the day because with that, the last string of anxious energy that was keeping him standing snapped, letting him go.

……………………………….

 

She was in a very dark place, and Mei was scared as always. It was so dark she couldn’t even see her own hands. It had been a while since she had become accustomed to being in the dark but it never failed to scare her to the bones. She called out for help but no one could hear her. Where was she? She had no idea, all she knew was that ever since she had woken up it was just really… really dark.

Once again Mei tried to stand up but she couldn’t, as if something was holding her back. She tried to move her hands and she felt heavy metal chains binding her. If this was a dream it was a freakin’ crazy nightmare. Mei screamed for help again. Dream or not, it was scary and she wanted it to just end already.

After a while she gave up since had gone all dry and she was thirsty and she felt really weak. She could hear her stomach grumbling; it was as if she hadn’t had a meal in ages. She was nearly passing out due to bone deep weariness, hunger and fear, when she felt a sharp sting in her back, rudely waking her up.

It hurt… it hurt so bad she almost forgot how tired, hungry and scared she was. As if something was trying to rip open her back. It felt like nails were being dug in and then trying to tear through her flesh. If she had something sharp, a knife maybe, she’d cut her flesh and just let whatever it was out of her back.

Tears stung her eyes once again as she felt the sharp pain tear through her back again and she screamed at the top of her lungs maybe for the millionth time; she would do anything… anything to have this pain go away. She curled up in a ball trying to reach out to rub herself but her hands were tied and she was so tired. She prayed she’d faint so the pain would go away but it wouldn’t. Why wasn’t this nightmare ending?

She was sure had started bleeding form all her screaming and her tears had probably finished and now her eyes hurt and were stinging really badly, her stomach growled yet again, it was horrible. She wanted it to end, she prayed for it to go away, she screamed for help, she even prayed she’d die, anything to get away from this nightmare. Sadly, it was a blessing she wasn’t granted.

Just when she thought it couldn’t get any worse, Mei heard a loud crack and she felt her spine crack, it was too much and she couldn’t take it anymore and as if finally, her prayers were heard, Mei woke up with a start, screaming.

Except she wasn’t, her voice caught in as her eyes opened in the blessedly dim light of her bedroom.   

Her heart was racing a mile a minute, thumping with a mix of fear and overwhelming relief that it was just a dream. Swallowing, feeling her heart thud in , she slowly blinked. Just a dream, it was just a dream, a nightmare…

Everything thing she’d seen, felt… it was horrifying and she had never felt so glad to be in her room, even if she was alone. Turning her head, her heart jumped to again as an involuntary squeak left her lips.

There was someone right beside her but before she could work herself into a frenzy, she caught sight of the familiar features, lit up by the moonlight spilling through the window.

Her hand moved of its own accord, gently grazing against his cheek, the warm skin telling her that this was real. She could see tear stains running down his face as he squirmed in discomfort, forehead creased; he had curled into a fetal position, hugging himself and her heart went out to him. Looked like she wasn’t the only one having bad dreams.

Mei leaned forward to wipe the sweat from his forehead. She wanted to hug him, she wanted to hold him, she wanted to tell him everything was all right. She knew nothing about him except that he seemed like he was in pain, a lot of it, and she wanted to take that away from him.

Fortunately, her touch seemed to calm him down and as she dared to move her hand higher to card her fingers through his hair, the frown lines on his forehead eased and his breathing evened out.

Although their interactions had barely started, Mei felt herself more attached and connected to her strange savior, may be Chen was right, maybe he did need her more than she needed him…

…………………………………..

 

He looked at her laughing as she ran around the ground playing with a doll. A strange surge of energy coursed through him. It had been like this ever since the day he’d saved her; the day he’d taken it upon himself to be her guardian, although it wasn’t something the heavens had assigned him to.

Maybe it was this strange feeling, or the fact that she had already seen him once, that Luhan let his guard down, almost unknowingly. He wasn’t expecting anything, just savoring what it felt like to be a real guardian angel. If this was what it felt like to save a person and to see them live, then it was no wonder all the angels in heavens wanted to be guardians.

She turned around and their eyes met. She stopped, eyes expanding slightly before she smiled. Luhan wondered what had happened. He stared back at her, forehead creased in wonder and unaware of the fact that he was visible to her.

He saw her running back inside her home, still smiling almost secretly to herself. He sighed and decided to take flight.

The sun shone brightly into his eyes as Luhan raised his head to the sky, sending up a silent prayer for the child. His majestic wings spread open to their full glory, making him glow bright as the sun. Though he was unaware, he was a sight to behold – an epitome of beauty. He was just about to take his flight when –

“Wait! Don’t leave yet!”, he heard her shout. He turned around to find the child standing right behind him. In her tiny hands, she clutched a glass which she raised in his direction. “At least have a drink before you go, it’s very hot out here.”    

Warmth spread as another surge of energy went through him. If it was possible, one would have said his wings shone even brighter than before. It was the first time someone was showing him kindness… and to Luhan, it felt like happiness.

……

 

When she woke up, Mei felt exceptionally happy, despite the fact that her back was aching because she had slept the entire night sitting on a chair beside her bed, on which lay her beautiful savior.

She just had a strange dream, one that made no sense to her but made her happy nonetheless– something to do with a child bringing her water… or something.

Then she noticed she was still holding hands with the sleeping beaut-, er, stranger… but he wasn’t a stranger, not really; if she was right, then this beautiful man sleeping in her bed was Luhan, an angel, who had saved her multiple times.

She recalled how he had curled up in the night as if having a nightmare but now he looked serene. She thought she even saw a ghost of a smile on his face but maybe that was just her imagination. It made him look even more beautiful then he already was, if that was possible.

The sun shone brightly outside; some stray rays coming in through the window fell on him, making him look… ethereal…. angelic...   

Mei shook her head; if she stayed here, she’d keep ogling him. She should go wash up and make some breakfast before he woke up.

Decided she unclasped their hands, resolutely stood up and left her bedroom without glancing back.  

………………………

 

Luhan woke up to a beautiful aroma filling his nostrils, making his stomach growl in hunger. He felt light headed.  His body felt exceptionally light and he felt so refreshed. Could it be that he was dead? Had his prayers been finally answered?

He opened his eyes and saw her.

Yes, he was definitely dead, because she was staring back at him, a tender look in her eyes. Sunlight shone from behind. making her glow like she was the angel instead of him. The vision left him breathless.  

Luhan felt just the teensiest bit of regret, though. In his selfishness to die, he’d left her, his soulmate, behind.

It’s better for her this way, he told himself, staring back at her in a daze. She’d find someone more worthy of her than him. Luhan was not someone anyone would want to have by their side. He was a –

“Are you awake?” she asked, moving her hand in front of him, breaking him of his trance.

It was only then that Luhan noticed his surroundings and memories of the previous day came crashing back. The last thing he remembered was her asking for a sign. After that… nothing but dark. Did he faint? Was that even possible after all this time?

And now… she could see him? Dammit.

Instinctively Luhan went invisible.

“Oh no! Not today,” Mei said, glaring at him.

How could she? Was he still visible? Then he noticed that she was holding his hand. A huge surge of energy went through him, leaving him drained and Luhan felt himself become visible again.

He had no idea what had just happened… whatever was happening was new to him. Luhan just hoped the heavens would not be alerted because Mei was a human; in his foolishness and momentary weakness, Luhan had made her vulnerable.

“You need to eat,” She said, “You were badly injured and your stomach has been growling for a while now.”  

Luhan blinked at her. Mei looked at him back, undeterred.

“Should I help you sit?” she asked.

Luhan noticed the pink gently lighting her cheeks as her eyes dropped to his chest before they moved back to his face, her hand still gripping his.

There was no point in trying, she was holding him captive. He couldn’t escape, so might as well just listen to her. Although if he actually wanted to escape, then…

Instead of letting himself complete that thought, Luhan lifted himself into a sitting position.    

“Lean back on the head board,” she commanded and Luhan did as told.

“I’ll let go of your hand so you can eat,” she told him, “but don’t you dare disappear on me.”

She looked at him warningly before she let go of him. Then she picked up a tray from the side table and placed it in front of him. She took his hand in hers again, obviously not taking any chances.

If Luhan had had a meal before, he would have known what she had served him but since angels don’t eat, he had no idea what to do. Although he was an anomaly, which meant that he experienced hunger like the humans, but being part angel meant that mere hunger wouldn’t kill him… no matter how it much hurt or how he wished for it. After all, since his creation, Luhan had never eaten anything.

It must have been obvious from the way he had been staring at the food in front of from the past five minutes.

Sighing, Mei picked up a spoon, dipping it in a bowl to fill it up with soup and brought it closer to his mouth.

Luhan stared at it, going almost cross-eyed.

“You need to eat,’ she repeated,

‘Please open your mouth,” she asked with a sigh; it felt like she was talking to a toddler.

Not sure what to do Luhan opened his mouth as asked and blinked in surprise when she the spoon in his mouth, the warm liquid filling his mouth completely. Instinctively, he closed his lips when she withdrew and stared at Mei, mouth stuffed with soup. What was he supposed to do now?

“Swallow,” Mei encouraged, making a gulping gesture to show him how and he followed. The warm soup slithered down his throat in a delicious trail, leaving warmth in its wake until it settled in his stomach. The moment it happened, it felt like all those years, the near eternity of hunger since his creation, came crashing down on him and his stomach growled loudly once again.

‘There, now that wasn’t so hard…’ she smiled at him, filling the spoon and lifting it to his mouth again.

Half an hour later, Mei had managed to feed him some soup, bread and congee, although it had been like feeding a baby… he had created almost as much of a mess but at least she was satisfied when she left the room to do the dishes.

Luhan was feeling stuffed, almost uncomfortably full, but his body felt stronger than before.

Dazed as he was and despite the weakness he was still experiencing, he knew that he should not let her out of his sight, so he stood up to follow after her. 

However, he had overestimated his strength, not realizing how weak he was due to blood loss, because his knees buckled and Luhan fell again.

Mei came back running. Seeing him on the ground, she sighed and bent to help him up.  

And while she was at it, she scolded him.

“Why’d you get up? I told you to rest.”

She helped him back on the bed and sat down beside him, looking at him almost sternly.

“Your body is weak right now and you need to take care. Don’t go moving around, sleep so you can get better.”

“Besides,” she continued, “there is a lot I need to ask you.”

“And you haven’t even said a single word. Do you even talk?” She looked exasperated. “This situation is so absurd. I don’t know anything about you. I don’t know who you are or what you are, how you got here? I don’t even know if your name really is Luhan…”

Maybe it was the way she said it or maybe it was simply because she had said his name.

Luhan felt the beat in his chest as she said it. In a trance, he moved his hand on his chest. It kept beating, while she talked, faster than ever before.

“… It makes no sense. How could you just flash out of nowhere? And then, every night I feel someone and is that you?” She asked, turning around to look at him.  

She saw him clutching at his chest and panicked. “Is everything okay?” she asked, worried, “Does it hurt?”

How was he supposed to explain this without talking? Luhan wondered before sudden inspiration hit him.

Luhan took Mei’s hand in his and put it on his chest. Yes, this should explain everything to her…

A blush crept on her cheeks before she mumbled, almost incoherently.

“Your heart is beating…?” it sounded like a question. And Luhan nodded.

This was the first reaction she had gotten from him. This is progress, Mei thought to herself.

“Mine also does that,” She told him politely.

What happened next was not something she had anticipated. Luhan leaned down and placed his ear on her chest. He could hear her heart beating from afar but it was faint, he wanted to hear it clearly.

Don’t panic. It’s okay. Mei told herself, forcing herself not to hyperventilate.

She held her breath while he listened intently to heart beat. It was embarrassing because if anything, now her heart was pounding harder than his. It felt like an eternity before Luhan pulled away to look at her.

His face was barely inches away from hers, she could feel his faint breath fanning her face. Mei’s breath hitched. She cleared , moving her face a little away from him.

What had amazed him was that her heart was beating in sync with his. Luhan noticed how even the tips of her ears were slightly pink now. She is amazing, a beautiful work of art, he thought.

He was staring again and his gaze was intense, smoldering. Mei tried to look away from him. If he didn’t stop, she’d forget he was an angel and well… Ahem!

He’s an angel. she repeated in her head for a hundredth time like a mantra.

At that moment, Luhan reached out to gently trace her features. Mei froze, not sure what was happening. It was as if he was studying her, memorizing her face with his fingers… if that was even possible. His fingers traced her forehead, the place between her eyebrows, her nose… he moved towards her lips, fingers lingering there a little longer.

He was, once again, too close to her face.

Maybe it’s an angel thing – no sense of personal space, she thought wildly as her heartbeat rose again. His eyes held her captive as she stared back at him. His eyes held multiple emotions she couldn’t decipher…  or maybe she was over analyzing.

He’s an angel! He’s an angel! He’s an ANGEL! DAMMIT! I’M HUMAN!

Never in a million years had she thought that she’d be the one to initiate her first kiss.

In her defense, anyone in her position would have done the same. You try having a hot, shirtless angel trace your features, stare at you with smoldering eyes and fan your face with his faint breath and then complain.

Mei kissed him… or rather, she just touched her lips with his, flushing profusely because it was her first time and because her heart was pounding relentlessly.

Luhan felt a mighty surge of energy course through his body the moment their lips met. He was not sure what happened but whatever it was, he liked it.

If anything, it was something he had wondered about every time he laid eyes on her. If her lips felt soft as they looked… they reminded him of flowers, soft and beautiful.

And he got his answer. Her lips were indeed soft, like rose petals, but before Luhan could really think it through, she’d moved back, her face red. She touched her cheeks to feel them burning.

The loss of touch was too much for him to take – he hadn’t truly cherished the sensation, it had been far too short lived – and instinctively, Luhan did what she had.

He leaned in and touched their lips again. He saw how Mei closed her eyes and did the same.

And then, he let instinct guide him.

Their lips moved against one another, as his hands moved of their own accord, one wrapping around her waist, the other coming to cup her neck, to support her head.

Wind blew around them as another mighty surge of energy went through Luhan’s body, leaving dandelions in its wake.

Mei’s hands raked his hair before coming down to hold his face, fingers gentle. They broke apart a while later when Mei was breathless. Heads leaned against one another, noses touching.

“Please say something,” Mei whispered breathlessly.

 “Mei.” Luhan whispered back.

…………………..

 

Baekhyun stopped in front of the girl’s house. The garden outside was sprouting spring flowers in autumn.

A smile spread on his face as he realized what it meant before worry creased his forehead, recalling the conversation between guardian angel, Suho, and the Elder the other day.

“May the heavens be with you,” he prayed silently. 

…………………..


A/N

alkjshdlkasjdkaljsdkjas..... Ahhhh!!!! there you go the first kiss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3 also 

Eid Mubarak Everyone!!!!!

and here's a Luhan photo... yeah i need not say more :D 

*my feels* >///<

Don't forget to comment (this is my fisrt time writing a kiss scene ^.^) and thankyou to all the readers & new subscribers, I hope you enjoyed reading this. 

Also i'm sorry i'm late but a special thanks to simplyblue_  for the beautiful poster! Its Perfect <3 <3 <3