Two Old Friends

Maybe This Time
Please log in to read the full chapter

It has been weeks since that day and you still feel the pain as if it was just yesterday.

Soo Yon has managed not to care for the last couple of days only to have her heart broken by the mere sight of the person who was the cause of it.

Her eyes swelled up. She tried breathing short deep breaths but her heart kept pounding making it harder for her to breathe. She felt herself blink a few times letting the tears flow on her cheeks. Her lips opened to say something but nothing came out. Just then she felt the surge of pain on her chest. It was the same pain she felt when Eun Bin broke up with her. But this time the pain was a hundredfold.

She wanted her badly in her arms.

Before this matter gets even more serious, let’s not see each other for a while.

That voice was on repeat on Soo Yon’s head. The people around her were an indication she shouldn’t. Eun Bin wouldn’t want another scene. This distance was what Eun Bin wanted.

She can’t hold on if Eun Bin couldn’t.

Let’s stop here.

It’s better this way.

She forced herself to smile and made a small bow to acknowledge her. Soo Yon reminded herself that they have already broken up. It was already weeks since they last talked to each other. And this was all to protect Eun Bin who was still attending that school. There was no reason to open wounds that Soo Yon knew wouldn’t heal.

She can’t have herself left behind whenever Eun Bin felt uncomfortable.

She can’t feel this pain every time Eun Bin thought she didn’t deserve her.

She can’t feel this if Eun Bin thought her love wasn’t right.

Eun Bin opened and started to walk towards her. It was wishful thinking, Soo Yon thought. So instead of walking towards the love of her life, she turns her heel to walk the opposite direction.

It was the right thing to do.

Eun Bin was still young. She’ll find a nice guy who would love and take care of her. She’ll find someone who need not bring more misfortune to her life. No rumors. No nasty pictures. No bullies hovering around. Eun Bin wouldn’t feel the need to makes excuses to going out on dates. There weren’t going to be stares if she held hands with some boy. Eun Bin would be happier.

It was the right thing to do.

A mantra she would repeat again and again as she made the distance between them further apart. Soo Yon could feel her head throb as it reminded her on how Eun Bin’s skin felt on her fingertips, how her hand glided through her hair… How her lips felt… Their first kiss…

It is the right thing to do.

Soo Yon said to herself. She closed her eyes then continued walking. Not stopping to heed Eun Bin’s call.

For the first time since they met, she denied Eun Bin what she wanted.

Soo Yon didn’t look back.. The younger girl may want her now. But she won’t in a few days when another disaster strikes. Eun Bin cannot handle the scrutiny. She wouldn’t be able to handle the pressure.

She deserved more, Soo Yon thought.

And so while her heart broke with each step she took…

With each call Eun Bin shouted…

Soo Yon steeled up her resolve.

Soo Yon walked away.

@@@@@@@@@

The detectives practically shouted with glee when she made her phone call. They were waiting for the opportunity to make up for their senior’s sad exit for years. They have had lots of cases. But it was one close to their heart. It wasn’t because of any pity or disagreements. It was more of they felt they could have done more. She could only sigh in agreement when Mi Do decided to open up the new case related to her. This time to find what happened to their amazing senior. Ye-Hee would often joke that she might not be a boy but what she endured to protect her was amazing as it is. It was still taboo but their senior was indeed an amazing person. To endure all that trouble and still come out forgiving, it was wisdom beyond their years.

She was someone who took care of the people she loved even if it cost her well-being.

Love, it was something she felt whenever Soo Yon was around her. She could still feel her lips on hers and those salty tears as the kiss deepened. She could still hear the voice speaking to her in verses as poetry was read on the quiet dusty book store.

She was so in love with her that she couldn’t contain it. There was a time she was sure to leave her guard down and hold Soo Yon in a way people would stare.

The world around her was still unaccepting.

Please log in to read the full chapter