Chapter 5: Wrong Person, Wrong Timing

All Things Just Go Wrong

That was a beautiful Sunday morning. The bright sunshine entered Chorong's house through the windows, injecting some vitality towards the house. Chorong was sitting on the sofa, not watching television, not reading books, not eating... She just sat there quietly. Even though the sun tried hard to provide a better and warmer atmosphere in the house, the house was in deathly stillness.

 

Then the sound of ringing cell phone broke the stillness.

 

"Hello?" Chorong picked up the cell phone and answered.

 

"Chorong ah~~It's Bomi~~Today's weather is so good for going out for a walk, right?" Bomi said in an excited voice at the opposite side of the phone. " Chorong ah~~ Let's have a walk together, okay?"

 

"Okay." Chorong knew that Bomi tried to date her because she didn't want her to stay in the house all day and think of those upsetting things. She didn't want to disappoint Bomi, so she promised to go out with her. Having a walk outside and breathing in some fresh air might be a good way to clear up her mind anyway. "So where are we going?"

 

"In fact I haven't made decision yet." Bomi stopped and thought for a moment. "How about going back to the place we lived when we were young and have a look? I really miss those old days! Let's meet at the park that we used to play there everyday then. See you later!" Bomi hang up immediately after telling Chorong where to wait.

 

When Chorong, Bomi and Minhyuk were young, they all lived in a small village in the countryside. Since the village was small, all families living there were close to one another. That was the reason for Chorong, Bomi and Minhyuk to become best friends. However, as they grew up and their parents wanted them to have a better studying environment, the three families decided to move out from the village to the city. Although the three families were then separated, Chorong, Bomi and Minhyuk can still keep their friendship by entering the same school and always played together.

 

 

 

When Chorong reached the village, to her surprise, she found that there were no people living there anymore. The fileds there were abandoned. Some of the wooden house there had already been toppled down. Then she stepped into the park where three of them used to play together there everyday.  It was choked with weeds now. The swings, the slide, the merry-go-round... Most of the facilities there were broken already. She found a relatively complete and clean bench and sat down, looking around the park again. Then she sighed.

 

This village used to be a happy and warm one. Children should be playing happily in this park. Why everything just seemed to go in a wrong way?

 

Yes. EVERYTHING.

 

The village, the park, and probably, the relationship between them.

 

Chorong then sat quietly, meditating.

 

"Chorong?" Someone called her name suddenly, bringing her back from meditation to reality.

 

That was a male voice, surely it didn't belong to Bomi.

 

Chorong turned her facing to where the voice come from. Then she saw someone unexpectedly.

 

Lee Minhyuk.

 

Why was he here? Chorong was completely shocked. She was still not ready to see him, to say nothing of seeing him alone.

 

"Why are you here?" Chorong said with a tremor in her voice, although she tried hard to act as calm as possible. She lowered her head to avoid having direct eye contact with Minhyuk.

 

"Bomi said she had something important to tell me and told me to meet her here. How about you? Why are you here?" Actually, Minhyuk was nervous when he saw Chorong, but he just hid his feelings well.

 

Then Chorong understood.

 

"Well, I think we are both tricked by Yoon Bomi." Chorong smiled snappily.

 

"Huh?" Minhyuk thought about what Chorong said for a while, and he soon understood as well.

 

Chorong took a deep breathe made up her mind. She tried to summon up the courage to look at Minhyuk again. Anyway, she had to face him finally.

 

"How are you these days? We haven't seen each other for quite a long time I think. Are you going well with Naeun?" Chorong smiled in a friendly way.

 

Minhyuk was a bit surprised when he heard Chorong's questions. He knew that Chorong was just acting as if there were nothing happened between them. However, her haggard expression on her face had already sold her out.

 

"Not very well actually," Minhyuk answered seriously. He looked straight at Chorong's eyes. "because I found out that my feeling towards Naeun is not actually love. The one that I actually love is another person."

 

"Oh really?" Chorong seemed to know what he was going to say. She wanted to hear the answer for sure, but she was also worried to hear the truth because Naeun would get hurt. Therefore, Chorong just pretended to be not interested and gve a perfunctory reply.

 

"Park Chorong, I love you."

 

He said that finally, even though he knew that Chorong was trying to avoid hearing the truth.

 

Chorong didn't know what to say. Of course she should be happy to her te one she loved said he loved her. But, everything was just too late.

 

"Minhyuk ah," Chorong said with a smile on her face. "Forget what you have said. I will also act as if I didn't hear anything from you today. Don't hurt Naeun. I wish you two to be happy forever." Chorong then stood up from the bench and left. She wanted to escape from this place immediately.

 

Then suddenly, two arms lashed around her waist from the back, making her not able to move. She could feel warmth from Minhyuk's body from her back. She could feel every breath, every heartbeat of Minhyuk. All these things just stimulated Chorong's tear glands. Tears fell off from her eyes. Some of them dropped onto Minhyuk's arms.

 

"Chorong ah, don't lie to yourself. If you really don't care, why are you crying now?" Minhyuk said with a soft and gentle voice. He was still backhugging her, and he slowly put his head onto Chorong's shoulder. "Just one day. Let us forget what are actually happening. Aftertoday, I will pretend that we are still best friends, and I am still Naeun's boyfriend. Let me be selfish for once. Just once, okay?"

 

Chorong didn't reply, but she didn't push Minhyuk away. Both of them just remained in the same posture.