Chapter 2: Lee Minhyuk

All Things Just Go Wrong

Finally, I got together with Naeun, the girl who was considered to be the "goddess" in our school.

 

When she told me that she loved me, I was completely surprised. After all, she was such a perfect girl that many boys admired her. She became one of my best friends since early middle school, and I didn't know when she had fallen in love with me, and why.

 

I thought I loved her as well because of her beauty and eleganceand everytime when I talked to her, I was quite nervous. Therefore, I agreed to be her boyfriend. However, when I promised her, I felt something strange, but I didn't know what it actually was. Maybe it was because getting together with Naeun, the dream girl of every boy,  was just too unreal for me.

 

After I got together with Naeun, I became famous among boys of our school. When I met other boy's gaze at me, I saw saddness, envy, jealousy, etc. Although that sounded evil, but I had to admit that I felt quite proud of it. However, I felt something missing.

 

One morning, when I was walking towards the school canteen to buy breakfast for both me and Naeun, I descried two familiar girls sitting at the corner of the canteen. They were Chorong and Bomi.

 

Then I realised what was missing.

 

I had not seen them for quite a long time. In fact, although four of us were best friends, we were not in the same class. Naeun and I were in one class, while Chorong and Bomi were in another class. The last time I saw them was in the open-air cafe that four of us usually went together before. And that time we met there was to announce that Naeun and I got together. After that day, I didn't see them anymore. I didn't know whether it was just because I spent much more time with Naeun so that I didn't have time to meet them, or they avoided me on purpose.

 

When I looked at them carefully, I found that Chorong seemed to be a bit thinner, and the smile she used to wear on her face disappeared. Bomi tried hard to talk to her, but she just nodded or gave a few words for reply.

 

That was not the happy, optimistic and risible Park Chorong that I used to know.

 

I didn't know why, part of my heart seemed to feel painful.

 

"Minhyuk ah, why are you standing here? I am hungry." A sweet and soft female voice appeared. When I relaised that Naeun came and found me, she was holding my arm already. "Minhyuk ah, I didn't want to eat the sandwich here suddenly. Let's go to the store near our school to buy some gimbap!" Not waiting for my reply, she had already pulled me away.

 

I took a last look at Chorong. She still didn't see me, but  I just can't forget the upset expression on her face.

 

 

 

I cannot concentrate in class for the whole day. Even after school, I didn't have mood to go dating with Naeun. Naeun seemed to be a bit upset, but I just apologized and then went home alone.

 

I didn't know why Chorong's upset face kept staying in my mind. Naeun was upset too when I said I wanted to be alone today, but her upset face didn't make me as dysphoria as Chorong's.

 

Were there something wrong?

 

Why did I care about Chorong more than my girlfriend Naeun?

 

Did I...just mess up my feelings?

 

I admired Naeun's beauty and elegance, but just simply admiring. I felt nervous when I talked to her, just because she was the "goddess" of our school, just like you would feel nervous when you talked to some great people, but you were not actually loving him or her.

 

I used to thought that Chorong was one of my best friends and I enjoyed teasing her and playing tricks on her, but when she was sad, I always stayed by her side and gave her support. I thought it was just because we were best friends, but...it seemed that there were something more.

 

But it seemed to be a bit too late for me to realise that at this moment.