Father

Ignite my heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Am I going to stand here all day?" 

Min Ho stepped aside. "Come in." He mumbled. There was something about Mr.Park's gaze that intimidated him. His palms felt clammy, 

Shin Hye's grip tightened on Min Ho's shirt. She led the way to the living room.  

"This is a very small place for the two of you. What kind of father am I if I don't show up at least once to the place my daughter inhabits?" He chuckled stiffly. 

"Would you like anything to drink sir? I wasn't expecting your visit so there is not much" Min Ho cleared his throat. 

"Oppa, I think you can leave us alone." She pleaded silently. Her eyes glued to the wall. 

"I am here to speak to the both of you. Stay." His voice was final. He took in Min Ho's features. "You are definitely handsome, I can see why she chose you over Seo Joon."

"Appa, he has nothing to do with my decision" She gritted out. 

"We both know that isn't true. Shin Hye what exactly is he gonna offer you? We both know that if Sun Hee asked him for forgiveness, he'd go crawling back. Don't look at me like that. I know about everything that goes on in that hospital. I don't need you guys to talk. As you know I'm a very busy person. I told Seo Joon's parents that you were going through stress but that the engagement was still on. Finish whatever it is that you guys have and go apologize."

"With all due respect sir, I would like if you gave me permission to date your daughter." 

Mr.Park furrowed his eyebrows. "I don't think you understand. You do not have a say in something that is predestined. This is how corporates in Korea work and why they stay successful. Love can only tear things apart once it goes bad." 

Shin Hye took a stance. She couldn't act like a coward anymore. She was always crying and it's sickening. She doesn't want to be the lead in a melodrama. She wants to show that women have as much power and that the family can't ruin the love and bond that are formed. "Minho and I are dating now." She entwined her hands with his. Her gaze had hardened and she saw her father's jaw clench. "I will personally talk to his parents. There is no need for you to meddle in my life anymore. You should ask my sibling to take over and not I." 

Mr.Park knew what she meant. She found out about her sister. It seemed like Shin Hye was picking up the pace. Nothing could scare him because he didn't have a lot to lose, his company will always remain untouched because it is beneficial to everyone. "I nurtured you for 26 years. Shin Hye there is no way I would let anyone but you take over. You are the best at what you do. You're going to make this young man right here think that I'm a monster."

The truth was that Min Ho could tell that he was a monster. This man had put a facade in public but he was scary. he can't promise to take care of her. Mr.Park would give her too because all he loves is power. He doesn't know how someone as noble as Shin Hye could be a product of that. 

She exhaled sharply. "You are aware that this man knows all of my secrets."

Mr.Park smiled, "What could he get out of that? A simple fireman trying to frame a tycoon. I thought you were smarter and that your reasoning was more plausible, I was wrong. You know what happens to snitches. They don't last very long. This isn't an empty threat. Trust me you're going to fall and you will come back." 

"I can prove to you that I'm worth it sir. I may be getting a promotion and if Shin Hye and I go further, I'll make sure to spoil her. She'll have all of the best things." 

"That doesn't benefit me at all.”

Min Ho scrunched up his nose. “Even if it doesn’t benefit you, it’s your daughters happiness” 

Mr.Park’s laugh rang in the room. “Are you giving me advice on how to raise my own daughter.” 

“Can we talk about this later? I’m still the daughter with the good reputation. We are still the family living under a happy facade. I will take over the hospital and I would create a partnership with Seo Joon. But, I will not get married to him.” 

“I think love is keeping you grounded right now Shin Hye but take it from me all good things don’t last, if they did the relationship between your mother and I would’ve made it”

“It didn’t make it because you found thrill in keeping her a secret. You knew it would tarnish your life. We both can’t play stupid but if you’re smart so am I. No one can hurt you more than your own blood” 

Min Ho didn’t have any more to say. It felt like this was too personal. The venom dripped out from their eyes. It was years of pent up pain she held and it was only best if she let it out. 

“Is there anything else you would like to yell at me about?” She smirked. This was a win for her. She had rendered him speechless. Most of it due to the fact that Min Ho was in the room but nevertheless a win. 

“I will see you at the hospital. This topic isn’t over. Also please drop by the house to see your mother. Like you said I have a reputation to maintain.” The veins in his neck prominent. 

She got up and followed behind him. “I’m sure there’s a field day outside now that the reporters saw you checking up on your daughter” She smiled before closing the door. 

She turned around and Min Ho stood right there with his head down. 

“Pretend that you didn’t hear anything. You can’t discuss about any of this to anyone okay.” She neared him. “Baby look at me” She placed her hands on his face. 

“Hmm. I won’t. I just—You have the power to say something. What’s stopping you?” He stared into her eyes. Stars swam in her eyes. They were a rich chocolate brown. Expressive like the light of day. 

She held her breath. There was a fondness she’s never seen in him. It was for her—all for her. But she couldn’t answer that question because she didn’t know if it was fear or strength.

*******
Woo Bin embraced Shin Hye. “I missed you”

“Stop being so dramatic I saw you last week” 

Ara turned away and her gaze fell on Min Ho. She wasn’t the only one jealous. They could call it what they want but Woo Bin had feelings for Shin Hye. At some point it must’ve happened, whether at the beginning of their friendship or at the end. One thing she hated about the gang meeting is that Shin Hye and Woo Bin just had this corner for themselves. Something they never wished to speak about. 

“Shin Hye. Come here.” Min Ho yelled. The music was way too loud. 

She walked near him. “What’s up?” She sat on his lap. Wrapping her arms around his neck.

Shin Hye the neighbor might have been clingy, lowkey annoying but Shin Hye the girlfriend was attractive. A side he wished he saw at the beginning.

He puckered his lips. Everyone hollered. 

Who would have thought that Min Ho would open his eyes and date all around girl Shin Hye! Everyone did.

She leaned forward pressing her lips on his. 

“I like you a lot” He whispered. 

Maybe it wasn’t love but she was content, it was her only galaxy when they were together. 

Ji Won laughed. “You guys are gross” She threw a piece of popcorn at them. 

Il Woo hated to admit that they were happy. His heart had to mend for the sake of their friendship. 

“Personally think it was a bad idea to get them together” Ara said. She was smiling as she said this because she was jealous. 

Shin Hye received a message. It was her detective. She sighed, it wasn’t the moment to damper the mood. 

“Everything okay baby.” He asked with concern. 

“Yeah, everything is fine.” She whispered back. 

“Guys let’s play a game” shouted one of the guys. 

They all got in a circle. In all of the months as friends they’ve never played Truth or Dare.

“Guys do we really have to play this game.” Min Ho complained.

“Since you complained, you go first” 

Il Woo laughed. “You’re in big trouble. How many girls before Shin Hye?” 

“Oh come on, if you don’t wanna do it then drink” 

“Min Ho I want to know too” Shin Hye pouted. 

“Honestly, I don’t know there were many okay but not a lot! Believe me baby” He grabbed her hand and leaned close to kiss her temple. 

Everyone fake gagged. “Too soft. Your macho persona is suffering right now.” 

She giggled. 

“Your turn!” They turned to her. “Who did you initiate contact with first? Min Ho or Seo Joon?” 

Her body tensed under his touch. “Why are you guys trying to start a fight” She bit her lip. She honestly didn’t remember but it had to be Min Ho. He kissed her by the bus station. Right? 

“You dimwits, why would my baby kiss him!” He faced her expectantly. As she held his gaze, it dimmed. 

“I didn’t kiss him okay” She smiled. There were certain encounters. “But uhm there was that one time at your apartment when he showed up and he almost kissed me. And…” 

Min Ho stood up. 

Everyone turned to Il Woo glaring at him. He bit his lips. He couldn’t help it. His heart hurt when Min Ho kissed her. It was an impulse. 

She grabbed onto his arm. He yanked it away. 

“It was way before we started dating. And I pushed him away.” Her eyes burned. 

“Yeah, I know. I just can’t stand his name. I’ll see you back at home” He struggled to keep out the cold tone in his voice. He leaned down to press a quick kiss on her lips and left. 

She looked at Il Woo angrily. “Are you serious?” 

“I’m sorry. It was an accident” The tension was heavy in the room. 

“Look just don’t ask stupid questions like that. We are still figuring ourselves out and what we enjoy with each other. I know how you feel and I’m sorry I couldn’t feel the same way. But you could find someone. Look around, I’m not the right girl.” 

He looked down. “I think

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter