Time spent, memories made

Ignite my heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Min Ho woke up with a massive headache. He peered around the living room and realized that he fell asleep on the couch. The clock on the wall showed that it was 7:30, Shin Hye was home so why didn't she wake him? 

Min Ho shook his head as he stepped into the kitchen. He chuckled at the sight. Shin Hye pouted, she tapped the pencil against her forehead. There were several books scattered around her. The whole outlook was messy. 

He saw her reach for the empty glass and he quickly snatched it from her hand, half-running to the fridge to get her more juice. 

She peered up at him as his figure loomed over her.

"What are you doing?" His deep voice echoed through the apartment and sent shivers down her spine. The heat emitted from his body caused her cheeks to flush. 

She cleared , trying to lean in closer to him, into his intoxicating smell and broad chest. "Just studying for my exam."

He felt guilt cloud him. The conversation between him and Sun Hee was still vivid in his mind. "Exam?" He tried to shake off his nerves. "It's unusual to have an exam."

"When my father created his highly prestigious hospital, he thought that only certain few individuals could actually become doctors. He picked a handful of people and made them interns, but at the end he would give you an important patient. It could be something you haven't treated. You cannot ask for help."

"Sun Hee had to go through this."

"She was an exception. She was never an intern, my father personally just hired her." 

He tilted his head in confusion. "That's odd why would you break a 'ritual' for a person. Do you know? " 

"I don't unfortunately. With her skills and her grades in college,  she was more than prepared. It's just something blunt, my father hates to make things complicated."

"Why can't he make you an exception?" His eyebrows knitted in confusion. She was his daughter and he didn't like making things complicated, why would he make her life complicated then? 

"I chose to be a doctor on my own accord. I was forced but I still did it willingly." She peered up at him, seeing if he comprehended what she said. "I told him that I wanted to rise on my own, I didn't want to hear the comments at the hospital. It having to hear that you get your way because you're an heir. I am but it doesn't make my word any more powerful than theirs, at least not in my brain. Helping people should not come that easy, because if I'm not qualified I could risk dozens of lives."

He sat besides her and pulled out a book from beneath hers. He opened to the first page. "You're very passionate. You want to feel proud of yourself."

"It's been so long since I've studied but I'll get the hang of it. I didn't get the top scores just because. I have a friend, he advised me. Life comes with a price and it's up to you to decide how much you are going to let life take a way from you. Life could take your money but you must never throw away your pride for meaningless people. That's what everyone wants to see, the fall of my father. It's all through me, they think that by hurting me it hurts him. It may hurt him but not in the best ways. Hell do anything for his empire. I'm just a pawn in this game. And every move I take can only reach success. It hurts my pride having to live here. I feel disrespected at times. I just hope this time goes by as fast as possible."

He processed her words. He keeps on hurting the thing she values the most and now he feels like an utter jerk. His mind is so jumbled up. Sun Hee wants him to do something unspeakable. But without her mentioning it,  he had done it. He had brought her down and made her feel so little. He was going to be good because Shin Hye is a beautiful woman with a big heart and a strong mind. "I'll help you study, I learned a little bit when I had to study for my finals in the university."

"Our careers are every different."

"What's the difference? We both save lives." 

She shrugged. "You have more things to do than simply helping me. I heard from Woo Bin oppa about the chief position. You must be very interested. But you are responsible, I think you'll get the position. You are smart and strong, have a very direct sense of leadership, you are also very willing and will push aside negative thoughts. You will make a really good chief."

He cleared his throat. She lived there because of that but now he felt bad. He wouldn't tell her. No one knows besides him and the chief. He doesn't remember telling anyone else. Everything that happened that day was a blur. It's not his fault for being so rash and bold. "Who wouldn't want that position, all the guys at the department are more than capable. I'm already the team leader."

"Lies." She giggled. "You're the best and you're aware. You're just saying that to look humble."

He smiled slightly. "I am humble, I was raised to be someone thankful for what they have."

She sighed. "Remember that we are humans and that we are greedy, we want more than what we have. We want to force ourselves to lean towards somethings. It's like you mentally live in the border. There are the two sides, the good and bad. You want to lean to the good but unsubsconciouly you reach out and touch the bad."

As she spoke the words they imprinted themselves on him. His heart pounded loudly in his chest as he thought about two very different women. Sun Hee and Shin Hye. Why couldn't he find the good or the bad. Which one was the one he was leaning to? 

******

Shin Hye raised her arms to and coughed. Being a doctor would mean that she knew how to take care of herself but she just felt ill all of the sudden. The hospital was colder than usual and the doctor gown was thin. She would ask for a leave but she couldn't unless it was a necessary emergency. 

Sun Hee gazed at Shin Hye as she entered the room. It wasn't common to see such a sight. The last time she saw her in the room was when she had the nerve to talk down to her. 

Shin Hye sat on a chair and buried her hands in her face. Feeling the need to cry, she was very emotional and clingy when she was sick but it wasn't her fault. That's all she used to feel when her mother was around. Being sick is being vulnerable. 

Seo Joon walked in carefully, not trying to disturb but trying to reach Shin Hye. Sun Hee didn't speak but pretended to be on her phone and watched. 

Seo Joon placed his hand on her back and rubbed it soothingly. "Tough day?" He whispered 

Shin Hye looked up startled. "You scared me! And no, I'm just tired, or I've been tired for the past few days."

"Is studying taking a toll on you?" He brought his hand to hers and rubbed it soothingly just as he had done to her back. "Take a break for a few days,  the exam is still pretty far from now. I know you'll do great without studying. Come on,  Park Shin Hye is not a sore thumb or a loser."

She smiled thankfully. "Park Seo Joon must be very bored today. You came to me so that I could cheer you up but I'm not much help, am I?"

"I was worried about you. You would deny my invitations out to eat because you were studying."

"Min Ho oppa,  is helping me study. I feel kind of guilty for putting him through it but he's okay with it." She said carefully, she knew it would hurt, but he also knew he was in no position. He knew Min Ho had a girlfriend. 

"Why didn't you ask me?"

"Oppa, you're not in any type of field related to medicine. He's a firefighter he knows certain things. Of course I would ask you if I was learning something else."

"I guess I should've been a doctor." He reached into his pocket and pulled out flavored candy. "This candy is as sweet as you and I know you need it to give you strength. When you're sleepy it can help you. It's like vitamins or a perk me up. I know it's nothing special but just to cheer you up I also brought my good luck charm." He pulled out a guitar pick. "When I was studying for exams, my guitar was the only thing that could cheer me up. Everytime I held this I felt new strenght to continue. Cheer up Shin Hye."

She closed her fist around the guitar pick when he handed it to her. "This is too much to take in. Why?" She coughs uncontrollably. 

Sun Hee fumed. Shin Hye was going just fine, things won't go according to her plan if Seo Joon is around her. He's obviously interested and she's not necessarily pushing him away. She watched on as he leaned closer and whispered in her ear. He looked concerned and she just nodded. Min Ho had to help her. He had to do it while they had time. She took a picture of Seo Joon and Shin Hye and sent it to Min Ho. She's heard from everyone about Min Ho and Shin Hye. Everyone seemed so aware that they had something fishy going on. Especially after the fight between Min Ho and Seo Joon. 'Min Ho I need your help, just this once. Please.' She sent after. 

Shin Hye leaned her head onto Seo Joon's shoulder. She felt like her chest keep constricting. Maybe she was having an asthma attack,  it could be something related to her bronchitis. "If I lose it you can't hold it against my will." She tried to tease. 

"It's yours now but I'll make sure to hold it against you forever." He teased back. His fingers digged into his palm at the feeling of her closeness. 

"Are you sure you don't want to get a check up?" He asked. 

"I'm okay,  I'll drink something warm when I get home. Don't worry about it." In reality she felt like she was going to die from the pain in her head and chest. She could feel herself starting to wheeze everytime she breathed. 

*******

It was the middle of the night and Min Ho woke up to the sound of the kitchen sink running. He walked lazily out of his room and saw Shin Hye with her head on the table. 

He leaned closer to her and worried when he heard her lack of breathing. He tapped her once, "Shin Hye."

She lifted her head weakly. "What's wrong oppa?" 

He touched her forehead. "You're burning with a fever." He said alarmed. 

"It's no.." She coughed. "It's nothing." 

"Stand up, I'm calling Go Ara or taking you to the hospital."

Shin Hye stood up and felt her head spin. She grabbed onto the table for the balance she felt she was lacking. 

Min Ho noticed it and decided to pick her up bridal style. "Why can't you take care of yourself properly?" He laid her on her bed and ran to turn off the kitchen sink. He grabbed his phone quickly and dialed Ara's number. 

"Yah, Why would you call me at this time of morning?" She yelled over the phone. She was pissed.

"Just this once, stop screaming and come over. Shin Hye is really sick and I'm worried. I have never seen her like this. I mean I know she's always working and I know it's unhealthy. She barely eats and sleep. It's no wonder she's sick. But I'm worried, how can she get so sick in such a short amount of time? Can you please come?"

"I'll be there in 20." She spoke with a hint of confusion. The cold hearted Min Ho actually cared for the delicate Shin Hye. She knew this would happen. His heart was beginning to soften. 

Min Ho brought cold water in a bowl and placed a cloth on her forehead. He turned it around every few minutes until he heard the doorbell. He rushed over to the door and opened it. Stepping aside to leave space for her to enter. 

"I came as fast as I could but surprisingly there's still a lot of traffic at this time of night." 

He nodded. "She's in her room."

"Stay outside until I'm done."

"I'll be here if you need anything."

She closed the door behind her before approaching Shin Hye. "Why didn't you get a check up at work today?"

"I didn't think I would feel as bad as I feel now." She brought her hand up to her forehead.

"You're lucky I knew what you had before I came. Why is your asthma resurfacing? You told me you were really young when it stopped." She helped Shin Hye sit up and brought the stethoscope to her chest. "You know the procedure." 

Shin Hye want to laugh at her friend's stern voice. "You and Woo Bin would be the perfect couple. Both treating me like I'm your child."

Go Are flushed and felt her ears go red. "He and I, we're just friends and don't change the topic."

Shin Hye took another deep breath. "I've told him countless times to look around him but he's a ."

"The most important thing right now is the fact that Min Ho is out there dying of worry for you. What have you done to him?"

"I haven't done anything. We're just friends. Why are you lying to me?" 

"You want to see something." She headed towards the door and opened it with a smirk. 

Min Ho stumbled through the door way. "Are you done already?" He got to his feet and brushed himself off. 

Shin Hye bit her lip. 

"Do you want to stay here and take care of her? I'll insert the treatment and you just have to change it twice. I'm tired and I have to work early."

"She's okay then?" He sat besides Shin Hye on the bed. Looking at her deeply before turning around to face Ara again. 

"Shin Hye is strong, she won't die so easily. Just her asthma."

Min Ho glared at Shin Hye. "Yah! Why didn't you say anything when I turned the A.C on?! Look at you now."

"I'm okay." She said nervously. "Why are you scolding me?"

"I guess I'll just do what I have to do and be on my way." She finished it quickly and told Min Ho instructions before running out of the apartment."

"Lay down." He said quietly. 

"I can do it by myself, you should go on and rest."

"I want to help you,  you helped me before." He pushed her down gently. 

She held onto his arms and searches his eyes. "Why?"

He didn't pull away. "Why?" He asked breathless. Every second making him lack in oxygen. 

"How do you think I feel when you act so caring like this? My heart hurts."

"I thought being friends was more than enough for you." Her scent seemed to bring him closer. Looking at her alluring lips,  he gasped when her grip tightened and her nails digged into his skin. 

"If this is what being friends with you is, I can't imagine what it feels like to have you love me." She felt tears b in her eyes. She was suffocated with him and it all made her need to reach out even stronger. 

"Rest. I'll come check every hour until your treatment is done." He pulled away and blinked several times, trying to push away the feeling of his heartbeat thudding in his ears. 

*******

Shin Hye woke up feeling better and was surprised to find Min Ho still in when she stumbled into the kitchen. 

"I made you something to eat." He spoke without looking at her. He couldn't sleep at all thinking about the way her face etched itself in his mind. 

"Aren't you going to be late for work?" She sat besides him. 

"I decided to take the day off, so you wouldn't be so lonely by yourself. I also have to run some errands."

"You can go ahead and do them. I'll be fine,  I'll just study instead."

"Study? Again?" He sighed deeply. "Come with me. I don't know if you'll feel uncomfortable but it's better than keeping you holed up in here. You need to go out and breathe in some fresh air. Get ready, I'm leaving in a few."

She rushed to eat and get ready. When she came out, she saw a note on the counter and hurried to the underground parking lot. As she stepped out of the elevator, she saw Min Ho bringing a helmet near her. 

"I wasn't planning on you getting sick and having to come along. I was going to take my motorcycle." He dragged her along.

"Oppa, are you insane?!" She breathed out shakily. "I shouldn't be so uncovered like this and riding a motorcycle."

"Ara came in the morning and said you were fine. She told me your breathing was even and you weren't wheezing any more."

"That doesn't mean I'm not sick."

He took off his jacket and motioned for her to slide into it. "You'll feel much warmer like this and the helmet is covering your face." He placed it on her. He climbed onto the motorcycle and waited for her to do the same. 

With shaky steps she copied his acti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter