Lost

Ignite my heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"That's it?! You came all this way to tell me that. That my feelings were a replacement. That I didn't matter." Seo Joon spat. He didn't want to sound harsh but his heart screamed and ached. 

"I didn't mean to use you,  I never did. You made me feel cherished but it wasn't what I wanted. Because he's exciting in a way that we'll never be. You can only offer me a life that is forced upon me. At the end of day, you can hurt me. Because this is all an arranged marriage. I want to love what I have right now." She stepped even further and gazed out in the distance. 

"You rather walk into a dangerous game in which your heart gets hurt,  then into the safe side where we can enjoy and move forward." He stepped forward.

She shrunk under his gaze,  it held something sad but angry. She put her arms in front of her in attempts of pushing him away. "My life has always been about living at the edge of a cliff. My decision it's not changing my life right now." She said stoically. 

His laugh was strained. His hand latched onto her nape. "Don't you think I hid what I felt for a long time? I never approached you because you would reject me and look at me now. I'm different, I'm handsome, smart and I have money. How can you still ignore my heart?"

"Is that all it was? Did you think I would love you just because you had the outlook? When has that matter, do you see who we are?  You know how our parents are. What's the point of things that won't last forever because sometimes the beauty on the outside disappears and that's when your real personality shows." She looked at him defiantly. 

 His forehead pressed against hers. "Please take back everything you said. I'd do anything just to hear you say something else. Can't you take the pain away?"

"Don't you think I have the strength within me to push you away?  I'm being as gentle as I can because you're my friend and it hurts me to weaken you." Her hand caressed his cheek. The same way it would to any guy she cared for. But she couldn't force herself to love the man in front of her. His warm personality seem to contrast hers and she didn't want that. They say all is fair in love and war but in reality if you want to be the bigger person you must never fight for something that was never yours. Even if she almost fought for Min Ho, she backed off because what's the point of fighting a war that can't be won. Everything has to be a mutual agreement. 

She felt a tear fall on her palm and she couldn't bring herself to feel a lot pain, it was different from the pain she felt when Min Ho cried. It means more when the person you love becomes vunerable. "Don't you think that giving you the ultimatum, let's you breathe and look for something else."

"Didn't your heart just beat a little bit faster when we were together? Didn't your eyes smile at me? Couldn't you help wanting something more?"

"Those actions were reserved and I had saved it all for him. Now I want to show him the way my eyes speak and the way my heart beats."

"What if you hadn't met him?"

"When it comes to fate that's just it, you can't escape reality. Because if two people are meant for each other, they will always find a way to be together."

 "Don't you make up your own life? Fate is just a misguided word, a word used to cover up the mistakes you have made."

"Fate is what you make it seem." She pulled away from him. "I don't want anyone to see us and I don't want anyone creating misunderstandings."

"Why?! Because you want to make it clear that you want another man. He's just using you as a rebound." He clenched his jaw after the words escaped his mouth. He hadn't meant to say that. 

"Even if I were only a rebound,  I still have a chance with him. You never know how the future turns out. I managed to shed his cold exterior. He trusts me and I know somewhere deep down that he feels something. You know why? Because he gets jealous when I'm with you because he took care of me when I was sick. He brought me to meet his family even if they misunderstood me as his girlfriend. I'm not hallucinating. I have more hope and instead of seeing me happy, you want to tear down my walls." She gritted out. She thought they were almost bestfriends. She thought he understood how important Min Ho was to her. 

"You know there's a reason why your life is controlled. It's because you try to push it away. You act like a child who won't move until the parents buy them the candy. That's why you constantly get hit with anything. If you would just mature and realize just who we are, like you said. How are our parents?! They don't simply let you off with a smile and a hug."

"I'm starting to feel that you aren't with me but against me. That this was a plan all along into getting to marry someone you know. You're just using me for your sake. And honestly I don't want to taint the memories we have left. It's not worth talking to someone when they are hot headed." With one last look at him, she marched away with her whole body stiff. 

"That's right run away, that's all you've ever done." He clenches his fist. Hating the way his heart almost jumped out when she gave him a sad look. 

*******

Shin Hye arrived home with a jump in her step. She was limping from having to wear the heels all night. She knew her feet were blistered and in the morning would ache terribly but the sadness and disillusion she felt in her heart was enough to make her forget. As soon as she entered through the door of her bedroom,  she collapsed in bed. She needed a few minutes to calm herself from the night's events. Her dress to some extent became uncomfortable and she was itching to remove her makeup. 

After a lot of whining she managed to sit up and remove her shoes. Letting out a relieved sigh when her feet were free from the restrains. She searched around for her makeup remover wipes and when she found them, headed towards the bathroom.

Lazily removing the mascara clumped to her eyelashes. She turned to the door to see Min Ho standing with a glass of milk. At the moment she wanted to bury her head into his neck and breathe the scent that was him. But she couldn't, not yet. After removing all of her makeup, she washed her face. 

Min Ho watched silently but intently at her every move. He wanted to help in any way. He was grateful that she was there besides him. "How was the...uh...the event?"

"It was fine." She responded shakily. 

He could hint the sadness in her voice. "Do you want to talk about it?" A split second would help him understand she didn't want to talk about it. "Whenever you're ready,  you can." 

She smiled gratefully. "I just want to rest. It's draining." She made her way past him and back to her room. She sat in front of her mirror and took off her jewelry.

Min Ho neared her and massaged her shoulders.

She gasped.

"Relax." Her tense figure relaxed under his finger tips. 

She leaned in to the touch and he had a way to make her feel so calm in just one moment it was never really like that. He always got on her last nerve but everything had change. The way he now said hello with twinkling eyes.  Everything seemed like...home.

"I'm going to shower, but I want to talk about something after I'm done."

He nodded. Thirty minutes later she came back and sat besides him on her bed. Her hand fitted against his when he placed it on top of hers. Her cheeks burned with a blush. 

"Isn't this going too fast?"

"I'd only stop when you ask me. I thought to my self countless of times the reason why you were better. Not better but good in a way. It felt healthy to be around you. I like her a lot and my heart doesn't forget for a split second. Is it possible to like two people at a time?"

"Hmm. I understand. All this time when I yearned for you, I realized there was someone who made me feel beautiful. However, you must always seek the truth of a person in order to know who is better. When you find yourself stuck in a situation,  that's when reality comes in the picture. You realize that you're forced into life not by your parents, not by age,  but by yourself. You only find life when you seek for it, seek for trouble and it's all due to your curiosity." She felt his thumbs rubbing circles against her skin. 

"Sometimes the things that treat you perfectly are the things that stab you the most."

"Actually it's not about perfection but it's about treasure. How much your heart really yearns for something."

"You have the effect of making people feel pity for you." He whispered in the dark of the night. They hadn't bothered to turn the lights on. "You shouldn't think that pity is bad because people would want to help you more. And sometimes accepting help and advice is the best thing."

She let go of his hands and brought her knees to her chest. "I really don't want to talk about tonight, I'd rather forget it. I don't want to saddened myself over something that I began."

"I guess I'm not the only one with a break up. You and Seo Joon had something. I'm not comfortable with the feeling spreading across my chest but it was noticeable. You liked him and you knew you would be happy with him."

"It wasn't like we were in a relationship but it hurts that I ended the way I did. But I guess I anticipated the moment between you and me,  more than I anticipated a future with him. As soon as I would date him, my father would force me into marriage. I don't want to get married knowing its mostly for benefits."

He grabbed her chin and turned her to face him. "You know all of those moments we've shared they mean a lot to me. And I am a man, I admit that when you confessed, it would boost my ego. But it's my turn now. I don't know whether I like you. I definitely don't want to rush into anything without being sure. I don't want you to wait if you get tired. Everybody has the right to make their own lives." 

She nodded. 

"I admit,  I'm attracted to you. In a way that heat pools in my stomach. But I won't use you. Because I know how important somethings are to you as a woman."

She leaned forward and wrapped her arms around his neck. Her lower body was almost on his lap. She wanted to collapse into him and know that they would come back again. 

His arms wound around her waist and he brought her closer. Through unspoken words and clinging touches. She was only looking for a home. And it was his heart's desire to content her. Everything he had plan began to fail as it just started. There was no other woman like Park Shin Hye. 

*********

Shin Hye whined as Min Ho removed the cup of coffee from her hand. 

"Any more coffee and you'll be jumping off the walls." The amount of books littered around her where impossible to count. Maybe studying was her way with dealing with the angst of a test and it made him understand why she had top notch grades before. 

"If I don't get a daily ration of coffee then I won't function well." She reached out again but he swat her hand away playfully. 

"I know you're a Doctor who works more than forty hours a week but you also need to make your body a priority. What is with you doctors always bossing around the patients but being in need of being the patient yourself. Why don't you drink some protein shakes?"

She cringed at the idea. "I hate the taste of those,  they taste all leafy and sour. Now I know why your mood is so bad."

He tickled her and grinned when her face turned a shade of pink. "My mood is sour because you can be a prick sometimes."

"I'm not a child. I'm like crazy glue, highly impossible to get out."

He knocked her head gently. "All this studying is making you a bit woozy. Shouldn't you go out shopping at least once a month?"

"For what? To get clothes I won't wear. I'm a doctor any minute we get off from the hospital is a miracle."

"A miracle you should enjoy." He pulled her up. "Let's go together."

"Even if that sounds appealing, I'm not up for the offer."

"Why not?" He tilts his head quizzically.His hand becoming used to tracing circles on her skin. 

"My dad also owns some stocks in the malls nearby, since it's the beginning of the month I'm a hundred percent sure that he's around."

Min Ho's jaw slackened. "Are you embarrassed of him seeing us together?"

"My father is a man who I don't fear but fear for the sake of others. I don't want to imagine the kind of things he would do to you if we were seen together."

Her dad could be a corrupt man, he didn't know that for sure. But the thought was daring. He brought her closer. "You shouldn't be scared of living out the life you want. Aren't you supposed to be rebellious?"

Her laugh was hollow. "Rebellious would only count if I were free, I've been like that for so long I shouldn't even do it."

"I have a request."

"What is it?"

"Well I promised my parents to go back home on Friday and they want you to come. It's my mother's birthday and I just know it'll make her happy to see you there."

"Yeah, I can go. I don't have a night shift so I'm free."

"Can you promise me? Because if the breakup I don't know if I could hold onto myself. Somehow you're the strength I need right now."

"I'm not going to leave you alone. I'll walk right besides you."

There's a knock on the door. However it was hurried and seconds later the password was keyed in. 

Min Ho felt irritation bubble up inside of him. He was so close to kissing her this time. Her breath was fanning his face lightly and the heat form their bodies increased the tension in the room. Min Ho recoiled once the door opened, running a hand through his hair he glared at Woo Bin. 

"Woo Bin-ah." Shin Hye ran into his inviting arms. 

The picture itself made Min Ho want to hurl. Weren't they just friends, sister and brother?  His heart twinge with the sourness all over again. He watched as Shin Hye dragged his best friend into the kitchen, her hand tightly enclosed around his arm. With hurried steps Min Ho stood between them and slung his arm around Woo Bin's shoulder. 

Both Shin Hye and Woo Bin had a frown on their faces and Min Ho almost felt offended. 

Waving it off, he gently pushed Woo Bin. "Why are you here?  Are you not tir

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter