- Heart Beats

Team Taoris vs Team Kray

Kris dresses out after basketball practice like he always does. Only this time it’s awkward because there are eyes on him and he knows it but he pretends he doesn’t.

“What’s going on?” Chanyeol asks, leaning against the locker next to him and Kris is grateful he’s blocking his view.

“What do you mean?”

“Why is Tao giving you death stares?” Chanyeol says critically. “What happened during your date?”

“There wasn’t one.” Kris says walking away before Chanyeol can badger him with questions.

He’s about to walk out the locker room when he turns to look at Tao who looks away quickly like he hasn’t just been staring at him this whole time. He’s been avoiding Kris all practice and hasn’t really been his lively self and Kris doesn’t know why.

“Hey,” Kris says walking up to him and Tao glances up and nods before bending down to re-tie his sneaker.

“Good practice.” Kris smiles and Tao nods again before getting up to walk past him out the locker room. Kris hesitates following him, because he's not a very confrontational person but after a moment decides he wants to know what’s going on so he runs after Tao, grabbing his arm once he catches up to him in the hall way.

“Are you mad at me?” Kris asks.

Tao looks down at his arm and then up at Kris and that’s enough for Kris to let go because Tao looks like he isn’t afraid to hit a guy if he has to.

“Did I do something to you?” Kris tries again walking a safe distance beside him but Tao makes no response, “If I did I’m so –”

 “You hate me, don’t you?” Tao comes to a halt facing Kris, taking him by surprise.

“What? No I don’t.” Kris shakes his head.

 “Then how come you’ve been avoiding me?” Tao folds his arms narrowing his eyes at him.

“I-I’ve been avoiding you?” Kris gawks.

“Yes, because I stood you up.”

“You didn’t stand me up.” Kris shoots back feeling slighted.

“I did. That’s why you didn’t say hi today or ask me how my weekend was. Weren't you even curious about that guy I was with? You haven’t said anything to me all practice!” Tao spills out and Kris has to step back from all this new information.

It never occurred to him to approach Tao first or that Tao had been waiting for Kris to say something. Mainly because...well Tao always seems to be the one to come up to him first. Kris can’t help laugh about their miss communication while Tao continues to scowl at him.

“Sorry. I really wasn’t avoiding you and I don’t hate you.” Kris says with a weak smile.

“I don’t believe you. It’s written all over your face.” Tao sulks.

“Well I didn’t write it there.” Kris takes the back of his hand and rubs it against his forehead. “Is it gone now?”

There’s a cricket chirping off in the distance as Tao raises a curious eyebrow at Kris and he thinks Tao isn't amused but then he puffs out a laugh, shaking his head and Kris smiles.

“You’re dumb.”

“Ouch.” Kris clutches his chest. “Now I think I do hate you.”

Tao raises a hand threating to hit him and Kris holds up both hands surrendering. After sharing an awkward laugh they continue to walk together down the hall. Kris doesn’t know why but he feels extremely confident right now, like its ok to be himself around Tao. It feels nice.

“Let me make it up to you.” Tao says suddenly, walking backwards so he can face Kris.

“You don’t have to.” Kris says.

“I want to. What do you want?” Tao asks. “You know I’m rich right?”

“So I can ask for a car?” Kris teases but Tao nods.

“So long as you drive me around in it.”

 Kris rolls his eyes and when he turns them back on Tao he sees a staircase only inches away from Tao’s backward walking feet.

“Hey watch it!” Kris reaches out quickly to grab Tao’s arm, bringing him towards him just before his feet step over the edge. Tao falls into him hard and they land on the ground.

Tao’s eyes are closed tight as his heart beats through his chest. When he finally opens them he sees Kris’s face only an inch away from his and his cheeks go red.

“You ok?” Kris asks staring up at him, his eyes scan over him and Tao's face feels warm. He quickly pushes away from Kris and sits up on the floor.

“T-that was the scariest thing that’s ever happened to me.” Tao says taking in deep breaths, looking over his shoulder at the staircase.

“I was scared too.” Kris chuckles softly and slowly sits up next to Tao.  “You have to stop falling over yourself. I can’t promise I’ll always be here to save you.”

Kris grins to himself and he doesn’t notice the way Tao is staring at him because Tao’s heart hasn’t stopped beating fast and he doesn’t think it’s the fall that’s causing it.

“Try and be more care–“

Kris turns his head to look at Tao but he doesn’t see Tao. He sees closed eyelids and feels soft lips pressed against his. Tao’s lips. He’s frozen in place or maybe time. His eyes are wide in shock but then he closes them taking in the moment. Nothing can be heard but his heart beating out his chest and the distant sounds of students feet rushing to class rooms. 

 

-x-

Kris walks down the hallway with a dazed expression on his face as he replays the scene over and over again in his head. How Tao’s lips felt and tasted and the rush that came with it and its all very nice but while this overwhelmingly good feeling fills his head a sinking feeling has formed in his stomach and it won’t go away and he doesn’t know why.

Tao had left him with a simple “I have to get to class now” and Kris could only make gargling noises and manage a nod as he watched him walk away. His mind suddenly wondered what he will say the next time he sees Tao. What did that kiss mean? Was it a ‘thanks for saving me’ kiss? Or a ‘let’s start dating’ kiss? He feels more confused now than ever but his thoughts are interrupted when an arm hooks him around the neck.

“Spill it.” Chanyeol demands, blowing a bubble until it pops in Kris’s face.

“Spill what?” Kris says pushing him away.

“What you did to make Tao hate you?”

“I didn’t do anything. He had an emergency on Friday so we couldn’t go out, he thought I hated him because of it.”

“You didn’t get to go out with him?” Chanyeol repeats in shock. “Why didn’t you tell me? You must have been bummed.”

“It turned out ok. I got to hang with another friend.” Kris says and Chanyeol furrows his eyebrows.

“Kris!” a voice calls from behind them and Chanyeol’s unasked question is answered in the form of a small brunette.

“Hey, Lay” Kris smiles seeing the other boy walk towards him with a plastic bag in his hand.

“You forgot your clothes at my house.” Lay says handing Kris the plastic bag and Chanyeol’s eyes widen.

“Thanks,” Kris says and seeing his friend gawk at them like an idiot, he pulls Lay aside to talk with him privately.

“Thanks for listening to me about you know…my problem.” Kris whispers to him.

“Oh…it was nothing.” Lay says rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly, looking everywhere but at Kris which is hard when his face is only a couple inches away.

“It wasn’t. It helped a lot. I was able to be myself around him today and I think I came off cooler than I actually am.” Kris laughs, looking around once before whispering again, “I saved his life.”

“You did? How?” Lay gapes.

“He was about to fall down a stair case but I pulled him away, and then he –” Kris pauses staring at Lay’s curious face and there it is again, that sinking feeling in his stomach. “And he was grateful…”

“Wow, that’s great Kris.” Lay says and he hopes the hitch in his voice isn’t obvious. “I should really go though I’m going to be late for my next class.”

“Oh…ok, I’ll see you later then.” Kris smiles after him.

When Lay rounds the corner out of Kris's eye sight he takes in a deep breath, putting his hand to his chest and closing his eyes. “I can do this. Being friends with Kris is better than being nothing at all.”

Kris continues to stare after Lay long after he’s gone, purposely avoiding eye contact with his best friend who’s standing a foot away staring holes into the side of his head.

“What the hell happened on Friday?” Chanyeol finally lets out.

Kris’s explanation about the occurrences that took place Friday do not put Chanyeol’s mind at ease. In fact they make things worse if possible.

“You walked him home and changed in his house...? Are you a complete idiot?”

“What’s the big deal? We’re friends.”

“Are you sure about that?” Chanyeol snaps, arms folded.

“What do you mean? We like hanging out together…so we’re friends.”

“I don’t think he wants to be just friends…”

“Why do you say that?” Kris asks wondering if Chanyeol knows about how Lay had been avoiding him.

“Do you really not know?” Chanyeol asks looking at Kris questioningly.

“Know what?” Kris asks.

“Lay, he...he li –”

Suddenly the bell rings and everyone’s rushing to class.

“Let’s go, or you'll all be tardy” A teacher calls from a nearby classroom.

“Never mind” Chanyeol sighs, shaking his head and walking off at a quick pace with Kris following close behind.

“Wait, do you know something?” Kris asks.

“Nope.”

“Seriously?”

“Nope.”

 “Argh!”

 

-x-

 

“You’ve been caught, Lay.” Luhan says with a smirk, slamming his hands on the table at lunch time. His friend only looks up at him curiously.

“Caught?”

“We all know,” Luhan says, confusing Lay even more as the rest of his friends join him.

“Know…?”

“About you and Kris,” Xiumin smiles. “We know you guys are dating.”

“W-what?” Lay chokes on air. “What makes you think that?”

“We saw you two talking in the hall way.” Suho says scooting in next to him.

“That doesn’t mean anything.” Lay insist.

“But you were avoiding him. Now you’re not.” Luhan says like dating is the only acceptable answer to this riddle.

“We’re just friends.”

“What?!” Xiumin and Luhan say together.

“I knew it.” Suho pounds his fist on the table. Just then another body staggers to the table glaring hatfully at all of them.

“Thanks a lot for helping me with my food guys, it's not like I’m crippled or anything.” Sehun says finally hobbling to the table with his tray of messy food, clearly thrown around from him trying to balance it and a crutch under his left arm.

“Sehun, what happened to you?” Lay stares at him wide eyed as he manages to collapse in the booth beside Xiumin.

Sehun looks around the table and all eyes are watching him warningly. “I fell.” He finally says.

“It’s just a sprain.” Luhan rolls his eyes reminding Sehun of a certain person and he shoots him an offended look. “So you’re ok with just being friends with Kris?”

“Yeah. It’s…nice.” Lay tries to manage a smile but his friends still look at each other worryingly.

“Do you think Lay’s really ok with just being friends?” Xiumin asks Luhan once Lay leaves the group after lunch.

“No.” Luhan says plainly. “I know Lay, he’s putting up a front but if he wants to pretend everything’s ok, I won’t in.”

“How…not like you.” Xiumin tilts his head and squints his eyes.

“Hey I don’t always have to get involved with everything, I have my own life.” Luhan says taking off in a proud stride and Xiumin can't help smirking.

“Guys wait up!” Sehun calls out but his friends are already far ahead and out of the cafeteria. He sighs trying to put his backpack on without dropping his crutch but fails and it falls flat on the ground.

“I hate them so much.”

“Need some help?” A voice says from behind him and Sehun jolts at the sound.

“What are you doing here?” He asks staring at the figure bending down to pick up his crutch.

“Junior lunch, isn’t that why you’re here?” Tao answers holding the crutch out for Sehun to take.

“I’m not a junior.” Sehun scoffs, yanking the crutch and walking away from Tao but to his surprise he follows alongside him.

“Want me to carry your backpack for you?” Tao asks noticing Sehun’s having a hard time keeping it on his shoulder.

“No.” Sehun says annoyed. He doesn’t know why it makes him so mad to see Tao but it does. It might be left over anger from his friends, it might also be because it’s Tao’s fault he’s in this pathetic state.

“Come on, give it to me.” Tao successfully pulls it from his shoulders and throws it over his own. “Now where are you going?”

“Tao, are you going to eat with us?” Another junior boy calls hopefully from a crowded table with one vacant seat.

“I’ll be back, don’t worry.” Tao shouts back.

“Why are you helping me?” Sehun asks glaring at him as they walk together to his next class.

“So you won’t hate me.” Tao says and Sehun has to laugh.

“What do you care if I hate you or not?”

“I don’t like when people hate me.” Tao says and Sehun wonders what answer he was expecting.

“Is that why you eat lunch with those phonies?” Sehun sneers back at the group from the lunch room.

“Beats eating alone.”  Tao shrugs and Sehun can’t argue with that.

“Well, thanks I guess.” Sehun says when they reach his classroom. Tao removes his backpack and Sehun reaches to take it from him but Tao won’t let it go, making Sehun look up curiously at him.

“I have to tell you something.” Tao says with a grin looking left to right before leaning in close to Sehun’s ear and he swallows not sure what to do. “I kissed the person I like.”

Tao pulls back and he tries to cover his wide grin with his hand.

“You…what?” Sehun asks.

“I don’t know. He was there and he just saved my life and I just went for it!” Tao says unable to wipe the grin from his face, now he’s bouncing on his heels and Sehun can't help feeling disgusted by this display.

“Why are you telling me this?” Sehun looks at him confused.

“I needed to tell someone! I couldn’t hold it in anymore.” Tao pats his cheeks feeling his blush coming.

“But why me?”

“I needed to tell someone I could trust wouldn’t tell anyone else.” Tao says in a matter of fact way.

“And you chose me?” Sehun gawks.

“Yes.” Tao laughs at Sehun’s dumbfounded expression.

Why?” Sehun stresses again. Why is Tao spilling this secret he can’t possible keep from his friends? Why does he think he can trust him over anyone else? Since when were they so close?

“Because we’re friends.” Tao smiles brightly. “You’ll keep my secret, right?”

Before Sehun can even answer Tao’s waving and walking away leaving Sehun staring after him dumbfounded.

 

-x-

 

As the weeks go on Lay finds being friends with Kris easier than he thought. He doesn’t mention the person he likes anymore, to Lay’s relief. They joke just like normal friends, walk to some classes together just like normal friends, and Lay's heart races every time he greets him with a smile, brushes his arm against his when they walk together or whispers something in his ear. That’s totally normal right?

“What’s that?” Kris asks one afternoon as he meets Lay outside his Chemistry lab despite the scowling look he gets from Chanyeol as he walks off.

“You’ve never seen a guitar before?” Lay smirks when Kris narrows his eyes.

“I mean why do you have it?”

“I’m playing it for my music class today.” Lay states proudly.

“Really? Can I sit in?” Kris asks hopefully.

“Do you know how to play any instruments?”

“No.”

“Then no.” Lay grins as Kris nudges his shoulder.

“What if you taught me how to play guitar?” Kris says and Lay’s quiet for a moment.

“Ok.” He says to Kris’s surprise.

“Seriously?”

“Can you come over Friday? I’ll tutor you.”

“Yeah sure.” Kris smiles at the thought of visiting Lay’s house again.

“Great. Come over around 7 but I can't promise it'll be easy.” Lay says walking away to his next class.

“Does that mean I can come to your music thing today?” Kris shouts after him.

“Nope!” Lay shouts back smiling to himself.

At lunch Lay has to go to the library to study for an upcoming test, and maybe its luck that he’s not there on this day when Kris gets a visit from someone.

“What’s he doing here?” Luhan asks looking over at Kris’s table.

“Guess he’s skipping.” Xiumin says watching Tao take a seat next to Kris. “Are he and Kris still talking?”

Luhan looks over at Sehun. “Has he mentioned anything?”

“Uh…I don’t know.” Sehun says playing with his food.

“He doesn’t talk during class anymore?” Suho asks.

“No.” Sehun says looking over at Tao.

“What’s up?” Kris asks awkwardly looking at Tao. They hadn’t talked about the kiss since it happened. In fact things pretty much stayed normal after that except now Kris's heart races every time he sees him.

“Nice of you to visit Tao,” Chen says looking happily at the couple in front of him.

“What are you guys doing Friday?” Tao asks leaning into the middle of the table and the rest of the boys lean in with him squishing Kris on all sides.

“Nothing,” They all say together shaking their heads.

“Well this band that works for my dad is having a concert on Friday. I have six VIP tickets and I can take you backstage to meet them if you all want to come.” He says laying the tickets on the table.  Kai is the first to pick one up.

“B.A.P?!” He says wide eyed looking from one friend to the next.

“Yeah, you’ve heard of them?” Tao asks and the boys nod nonchalantly. “So you’ll all come?”

They try to act cool and calm as they nod in agreement together.

“Great.” Tao smiles looking over at Kris. “You too?”

“What? Oh yeah sure.” Kris manages to smile back.

“Awesome. I’ll look for you there.” Tao waves bye as he gets up to leave. Once out of sight Kris’s friends erupt with hoots and hollers rushing to claim their tickets. 

“This is going to be the best Friday every!” Chanyeol says kissing the ticket as they walk out the lunch room. “VIP baby!”

“Wait, what day is the concert?” Kris asks, finally looking down at the ticket for the first time.

“Friday.” Chanyeol says.

“I can’t go. I promised Lay I’d go to his house so he could teach me guitar.” Kris says.

“Well cancel. This is a BAP and backstage passes. He’ll understand.”

“I can’t do that.” Kris says pushing the ticket to Chanyeol like that’s the end of that. Which it so was not.

“You promised Tao you’d go.” Chanyeol brings up stopping Kris in his track.

“Oh yeah.” Kris rubs the back of his neck. “I’ll just have to tell him I can’t make it.”

“You can’t do that!”

“Why not?” Kris asks.

“Dude, do you know how much trouble he must have gone through to get these tickets? And the only reason he asked the rest of us is clearly so you would go.” Chanyeol points out.

“But I already promised Lay…”

“Kris,” Chanyeol sighs. “Ok look, I didn’t want to say anything but since you’re clearly so very dense.”

Chanyeol pauses while Kris glares at him.

“You can’t hang out with Lay anymore.”

“What?”

“You can’t be friends with him.” Chanyeol says plainly.

“Why do you get to decide this?” Kris scoffs.

“I don’t but if you really wanted to be a friend to him you’d leave him alone.” Chanyeol says and Kris is completely confused.

“Ok...Why exactly?”

“Dude, wake up.” Chanyeol says clapping a hand on Kris’s shoulder. “Lay’s completely in love with you.”

“What?” Kris scrunches his face disbelieving as he shakes Chanyeols hands off him. “No way.”

“Come on, I’ve only seen him around you a few times and even I can tell.” Chanyeol rolls his eyes. Kris thinks of the way Lay acts around  him. He sudden feels his heart jolt at the idea that it might be true.

“No, he-he…” Kris can’t even speak.

“He loves you or at least likes you a lot” Chanyeol says “Which is why if you don’t feel the same you’re only torturing the poor guy.”

“How do you know?” Kris tries to reply scenes with Lay in his head. Why hadn’t he noticed? He would have noticed if there was something to notice. Right?

“Because I have eyes.” Chanyeol says. “Look the next time you see him, you should make up an excuse not to go over and then try to distance yourself from him because so long as he likes you, you being nice isn’t fair to him.”

“Kris,” a familiar voice shouts from behind them and it makes Kris’s stomach churn. Chanyeol looks at the figure walking towards them and gives Kris one last pat on the shoulder and nod before leaving.

“H-hey Lay.” Kris smiles as he turns to face him, his insides jump around and he wishes he hadn’t just had lunch.

“I was thinking we could order pizza Friday, if that’s ok with you?” Lay says and Kris stares at his face for hints of something but he doesn’t see anything. Is he really that dense? Or is Chanyeol the one who's got it wrong.

“Pizza? Yeah that’s fine.” He say before suddenly remembers he’s supposed to be getting out of their meet up.” Oh, actually –"

Just then a group of students walk past them pushing Lay into Kris and he instinctively reaches out to catch him. Lay presses against his chest and Kris looks down and he finally sees it. Lay’s face looks more flushed and nervous then it should and his hearts beating fast and Kris can feel it against his own which is beating just as fast and that’s certainly new. He pulls away standing Lay up on his feet.

“S-sorry,” Lay says when he notices the awkward way Kris  moves away from him.

“It wasn’t your fault.” Kris says back and his eyes are looking everywhere but at Lay.

"So, what were you going to say? Lay asks.

"What? Oh right. Friday...I" Kris's eyes meet Lay and he feels a familar sinking feeling in his stomach and he thinks it might be tied to this person in front of him. "Actually it can wait." 

“Oh...ok.” Lay says, something seems off but he's not sure what. Theres an awkward pause before Lay breathes in to speak again, “Well, I better go. I’ll see you.”

Kris nods and watches him walk away. He puts his hand over his chest and is surprised to find his heart is still beating fast and when he thinks of how Lay had looked up at him it starts beating faster.