- Game On

Team Taoris vs Team Kray

“Hey!” Chanyeol pants blocking Kris from the basket during basketball practice. “Did you ever find Tao like I told you to yesterday?” Chanyeol makes to steal the ball but Kris moves around him easily, does a layup and makes the basket.

“No.” Kris says wiping the sweat from his face with the front of his shirt. “What would I do if I found him?”

“Ask him out.” Chanyeol grabs the ball and throws it harshly at his dimwitted friend who catches it before it hit his face.

“I told you I don’t know if I –” Kris is cut off by a whistle.

“Alright, ladies gather around.” Coach Choi Siwon calls out to all the players. Kris and Chanyeol look towards the center court where the coach is standing with an overdressed student. Kris’s eyes widen and Chanyeol smiles.

“Maybe you don’t have to look for him after all…” He smacks Kris on the back happily making his way to the center. He stands next to Kai and Chen who are on the team and both are grinning back at Kris.

“Alright so this is Hyung Zitao.” Coach Choi announces loudly.

“Huang” Tao corrects him rolling his eyes and looking annoyed. He stares out into the sea of basketball players and his eyes immediately find Kris in the back. He smiles at him but Kris is staring at the ground.

“Right, Sorry. His parents were insistent that he be on the team so he’ll be sitting in as a substitute.”

“I don’t get to play?” Tao asks looking surprised by the news.

“Well since you don’t know any of our strategies Tao you’ll probably sit out for Friday’s game at least. Until I’ve seen what you can do.”

“I can play. I’m really good.” Tao grins. “Test me.” All the boys hoot and applaud wanting to see Tao’s skills. Coach Choi also looks intrigued by his request.

“Alright, Tao. A one on one game then?” Coach Choi looks out into the face of eager players “Let’s see…you can play –”

“Him.” Tao points in the back and everyone’s heads turn back to look at Kris whose eyes are wide in surprise.

Him?” The Coach chuckles. “He’s our team captain and our star player. I don’t know if you want to –“

“This should be interesting for you all then.” Tao smiles, removes his jacket and hands it to the coach so he can play in his plain white t. The coach rolls his eyes at Tao’s arrogance but decides to let him play.

“Alright everyone off the court except you two. To the free point line.” He points to Kris and Tao and they walk together to stand in position while everyone else takes a seat center court to watch.

“Fancy meeting you here.” Tao grins sideways at Kris.

“Yeah,” Kris nods facing Tao, his back to the basket. “Must be luck.”

“Or destiny.” Tao smirks, and Kris’s cheeks get warm and he hopes Tao thinks it’s from playing earlier.

“Alright,” The coach stands between them with a ball in his hand. “I want a fair game. Half court, first 3 baskets win the game. Is that clear?” He blows the whistle and throws the ball.

Kris and Tao jump at the same time and maybe it was because Kris didn’t think he’d have to but Tao jumps higher and takes hold of the ball making his way easily past Kris, he goes up for a layup and makes a point. He turns around and grins at Kris who is still at the free throw line and everyone is cheering.

Coach Choi blows the whistle again, “Kris, get your head in the game!” He bellows annoyed Tao showed up his star player.

“You going easy on me?” Tao says bouncing the ball to Kris. “You shouldn’t take me so lightly.”

“I guess I know that now.” Kris dribbles the ball with his back turned to Tao who is on defense now. And with the same move he used on Chanyeol earlier he makes a basket and everyone is on edge.

 

-x-

As the game continues Kris becomes more aware of just how good Tao is. To say he is impressed is an understatement. He had never played someone like Tao before. It seems like he knows where Kris is going to go before he even moves. It has been a while since Kris had someone challenging to play and he was enjoying it.

The coach blew the whistle again. “That’s Tao’s point! The games 2/2” The coach watches them eagerly and even he can’t deny that Tao isn’t just talk.

“Awe, our first games almost over.” Tao sighs guarding the basket from Kris as he slowly dribbles towards him. “I’m going to miss watching you pant and sweat in front of me.”

Kris furrows his brow “You’re just trying to get into my head.” He huffs but his damn cheeks won’t stop glowing red.

Tao swoops in behind him and whispers in his ear. “I’m hoping to get into more than that.”

Kris drops the ball, Tao takes his opportunity and grabs it and runs to the basket, Kris snaps back to action and rushes to meet him at the net where Tao jumps up to score, but Kris jumps high blocking his shot and knocking the ball from his hand, recovers it dribbling it once and jumps up to dunk it. He scores, point Kris.

Tao looks at the basket in shock.

Everyone jumps up instantly rushing them.

“I guess my intimidation plan didn’t work.” Tao sighs, putting his hands on his hips.

“Good game.” Kris huffs, arching over taking in deep breathes. Tao nods and smiles at him.

“Good job boys.” The coach walks towards them and slaps Tao hard on the back and Tao looks appalled at him. “Tao you can definitely start our game this Friday.”

“You could have saved us all sometime if you just realized I was good when I said so.” Tao sighs moving out of the crowd and coach Choi has to keep from smacking Tao in the head.

“Dude, you two are a match made in heaven.” Chanyeol says rushing up to Kris.

“Seriously, it was like watching two glorious angels play basketball.” Kai waves his hands high into the imaginary clouds.

“Shut up.” Kris laughs as he watches Tao walk off the court to the locker room.

“Ah, it’s so hot.” Tao says removing his shirt over his head exposing his tan covered in sweat and Kris has to look away again.

“I need a shower.” Kris sighs rubbing the back of his neck.

 

-x-

“Alright ladies lets clear out these balls before next period Health class comes in.” Coach Choi calls out to the players, realizing they’ve gone over their scheduled time and students are already filing in the gym.

Kris grabs the ball nearest him and looks around for more to pick up when he notices a small figure he thinks he recognizes. “Hey!” He smiles and waves at their back.

“Hey, Lay!” Lay hears his name and turns around shocked to see a sweaty Kris running up to him with a wide smile on his face.

“Kris” Lay gawks trying not to stare at his shirt where it’s been sweated through showing off his s and upper chest. 

“W-were you playing basketball?” Lay asks trying to distract his mind.

“Yeah,” Kris knocks the ball around in his hand not noticing Lay's akwardness. “You play?”

“Of course.” Lay says as if the idea he doesn’t is ridiculous.

“Any good?” Kris raises his eyebrow. Lay nods.

“When no one’s around, I’m the best one on the court.” Lay jokingly brags and Kris grins showing off his gummy smile.

“Sorry I didn’t say bye yesterday.” He suddenly apologizes and Lay’s touched he even remembers. “My friends can be a little persistent at times.”

“That’s ok.” Lay puts on a small smile just as Kris lifts the hem of his T to wipe sweat from his head showing off his six packs underneath.  Lay’s eyes almost leave their sockets.

“Hey you look different.” Kris catches Lay off guard and he thinks he’s been caught. “Where are your glasses and hoodie?”

“Oh,” Lay breathes a sigh of relief. “Well I would get too hot if I wore my hoodie during gym and my glasses actually got cracked yesterday so I’m wearing contacts.” He leaves out the part where they fell off because of Kris’s friends.

“Really? That .” Kris’s eyes study the small boy, “You know,” He leans down so his face is level with Lay’s, who takes a step back, “You’re actually really cute.” He grins speaking so casually but Lay’s heart is beating a mile a minute. “You look better without that hoodie and glasses hiding your face.” Kris takes his hand and runs it past Lay’s bangs, moving them to the side and Lay knows his face must feel warm, “You should stay like this.”

“You think so?” Lay touches the part of his hair Kris had moved, trying not to look too happy at his remark.

“For sure, don’t even wear a hoodie when it’s cold.” he jokes.

“Awe,” Lay sighs disappointed.” Well if I die from freezing at least I’ll look good when they find me.”

“Don’t tell them it was my idea though.” Kris grins.

“I’ll have a note in my hand that says ‘It was Kris’” Lay teases making Kris laugh hard showing off his gummy smile and Lay wishes his heart wouldn’t beat so fast when he does that.

 

-x-

 “I can’t believe I forgot my bag.” Tao sighs annoyingly coming back out from the locker room and he’s met with yelps and squeals from the girls in the gym all eyeing his bare chest. He grins and winks at them when he notices Kris standing and talking with someone off in the corner looking very comfortable.

“Hey, Tao great game.” Chanyeol smiles running up to him. “We’re definitely going to win with you on our team.”

“Who’s that?” Tao says completely ignoring Chanyeol’s comment focusing only on Kris and the blushing, smiling boy in front of him.

“That?” Chanyeol squints his eyes trying to make out his face. He’s never seen him before, but Kris seems to be good friends with him. Chanyeol thought he knew all Kris’s friends. Then he remembers the hall monitor gang from the other day, he suddenly feels panicked. “That’s nobody” Chanyeol turns Tao around facing away from them. “Probably someone Kris is tutoring.”

“Kris tutors?” Tao asks taking an interest.

“Uh, yeah.” Chanyeol lies. “He’s got a big heart, that one. He really loves tutoring students. They’re probably just talking about study work. You know, really boring stuff.”

“Kris doesn’t look bored to me.” Tao looks over his shoulder before Chanyeol claps him on the back leading him back into the locker room.

“Trust me he’s bored.” Chanyeol shoots an angry look at Kris before leaving the gym with Tao.

“Hey Kris!” Coach Choi shouts seeing one of his athlete’s is still in the gym. “Stop flirting and get in that locker room.”

Kris smirks as if the notion that he was flirting never crossed his mind. “I got to go. I’ll see you around Lay.” He waves running back to the locker room.

“See, ya.” Lay waves back and he can’t stop smiling.

 

-x-

“Who was that?” Chanyeol asks casually when Kris enters the locker room.

“Who?” Kris changes his drenched shirt out for a clean one.

“That little guy you were talking to.” Chanyeol takes a seat on the bench next to him.

“Lay?” Kris unknowingly smiles by just saying his name. “I met him yesterday at the library. He’s a funny character.”

“So you just find him funny then?” Chanyeol asks standing up now studying his friend.

“Yeah,” Kris shrugs nonchalantly as the bell rings for the next class. Kris grabs his backpack and heads out the locker room door as his friend watches him go.

 

-x-

After Health class Lay grabs his bag hurrying to Calculus which is on the other side of the building.

“Why are all my classes so spread apart?” Lay sighs about to put on his hoodie when he remembers what Kris had said. He smiles and instead stuffs it in his backpack and runs out to the hall, he doesn’t go far before he’s stopped by a tall figure.

“Hey,” The boy smiles at Lay.

“Hi,” Lay looks at him curiously.

“You’re Kris’s friend right?” The tall boy asks. “Do you mind giving this book to him? He forgot it in the locker room and it’s really important.” He hands the book to Lay.

“But I don’t have a class with Kris.” Lay says about to hand the book back.

“I told him to meet you after school, I have to leave on the bus so I can’t give it to him but he’ll meet you in front of the school, if that’s ok?” The boy smiles showing almost all his teeth.

Lay thinks for a moment, he usually goes home with Luhan and Xiumin but he doesn’t want to miss the chance to meet Kris again.  “Alright,” he says after a small hesitation.

“Great, you’re name’s Lay right?” The boy asks.

“Yeah.” the small boy smiles.

“I’m Chanyeol, nice to meet you.” He smiles back.

 

***

A/N: Thank you for all the comments! I'm so graetful for all the feedback i've been getting and love everyone rooting for their ships! Please continue to support this story as it encourages me to write faster^^ Thanks again and please comment!