- Fate is Made

Team Taoris vs Team Kray

“Heads up!” Chen shouts as Kris spaces out while they’re gathering balls at the end of basketball practice. Luckily he looks up in time to avoid the ball aimed at his head but ends up losing his balance and falling back on the floor.

“Man, you ok?” Chen runs to help his friend.

“Ow…yeah I’m ok.” Kris rubs his sore backside with one hand taking his friends out reached hand with the other.

“You’ve been zoning out a lot lately. I hope you’re more alert during the game tonight.” Chen looks worringly at Kris.

“I’ll be fine. I just have a lot on my mind right now.” Kris says rubbing the back of his neck.

“Like your date with Tao?” Chen grins and Kris shots him a 'don't-start' look, “I’m just asking.”

“I don’t know.” Kris lets out a heavy sigh before walking with Chen to the locker room. He suddenly stops Chen with his hand, “Hey, am I annoying?”

Chen raises an eyebrow at the question “You? Of course” He says jokingly but seeing that Kris's question seemed serious he adds, “Not too much though. Why?”

“It’s nothing.” Kris shakes his head free of his thoughts and continues to walk to the locker room.

 “So you know how Chanyeol’s all into how cool and rich Tao is? Well Baek’s really jealous so he bought these designer pants and first day he wears them they rip down the middle.” Chen laughs but Kris remains silent until he’s hit in the arm.

“Ow. What the hell?” Kris rubs his arm scowling at him.

“What’s with you? You should be laughing your off.” Chen looks at him displeased.

“Why? Because I laugh at everything? I don’t think everything’s funny!” Kris snaps and Chen’s eyes go big.

“Ok, fine. I thought it was funny.” Chen rolls his eyes and they continue to walk in silence.

“What’s his problem?” Kris mumbles later leaning back on his locker after getting dressed.

“Who?” Chanyeol asks popping a stick of gum in his mouth as he gets his bag ready for next period.

“I’m a nice guy.” Kris continues to think out loud to himself.

“I’ve met nicer but yeah.” Chanyeol says not realizing Kris isn’t really talking to him.

“Yeah, I was completely nice to him. More than I am to most people in fact. I didn’t do anything wrong. It’s him who’s in the wrong!” He points in Chanyeol’s general direction, who is looking at him confused. Kris leans back against his locker hitting his head against it and closing his eyes as he slides down until he’s sitting on the floor. “So why is he mad at me?” He whines hugging his kneels putting his head down.

 

-x-

Lay had managed to avoid Kris for the rest of the week. It wasn’t hard, not having any classes with him and hiding in the library during lunches. It had only been a few times he had seen him in the hall but with great strength he managed not to look directly at him even when he felt Kris’s eyes on him. It’s Friday and Lay can give a sigh of relief that he won’t have to worry about Kris until Monday. At least that's what he thought.

“Why do you suddenly want to go see a basketball game?” Lay questioned Luhan and Xiumin who had never been big basketball fans but were now presenting Lay with tickets to go watch the schools home game.

“Why not?” Luhan asks as they walk to his car after school. “It’s our last year we should attend at least one of our schools games.”

“I don’t see why...” Lay mumbles, climbing in the back seat. He had just managed avoiding Kris for almost a week he wasn’t going to ruin that now by watching him in a basketball game. Probably looking pretty damn hot in a jersey too. But that's not important.

“It’s an experience!” Xiumin says with an encouraging smile. Lay gives an airy laugh staring out the window.

“I think I’ll pass.” He says and Luhan and Xiumin exchange disappointed looks.

-x-

 

Game nights are always fueled with excitement. The team can hear the crowd from inside the locker room as they wait to be announced. Kai and Chen are practicing shots as one holds his arms open like a hoop while the other throws the ball trying to make a basket. Chanyeol is in a corner doing a hundred jumping jacks as fast as he can because he says it ‘Pumps him up.’ Kris thinks it’s dumb because he’s just going to be tired for the actual game. Kris is sitting on a bench and his heart is racing a mile a minute and he isn’t sure if it’s because of the game or what’s to come afterwards. He's so distracted he doesn't notice Tao taking the seat next to him until he's already seated wearing his new school jersey that only amplifies how hot he is and this isn’t helping in calming Kris’s nerves.

“Nervous?” Tao asks as if it isn't clear on Kris’s face. He just shakes his head in reply. Tao flashes a knowing smile, “Liar. Then why is your hand shaking?” He points to Kris's hands in his lap and he had even noticed he'd been bouncing his hand on his knee for several minutes. He stops when Tao suddenly places his one of his hands over his own.

"You're a good basketball player, you know? Almost as good as me." Tao says with a smirk.

"Almost? I beat you one on one." Kris says back.

"-As I was saying..." Tao interrupts. "You're good at basketball. So just go out there and play like you always do."

Kris smiles with a nod and is surprised he feels a little better.

“And relax it’s going to be fun.” Tao winks and Kris isn’t sure he’s talking about the game anymore. 

“Alright let’s go!” Coach Choi pops in the door way and ushers the athlete’s to move out into the gym.

As they get closer the sound of cheers gets louder and when they run into the gym the crowd erupts. Home games are the best as their black and red colors stand out in the crowd over the visiting team’s colors that have barely shown up. The support really puts the players at ease. However when Kris looks into the crowd and can’t find a mop of dyed auburn hair or a dimpled smile anywhere to be seen he feels a little disappointed.

The game starts and Kris, Tao and Chanyeol (along with two other unimportant players) are the first in, “Don’t show them too much” Coach Choi whispers before sending them out. “We want them to let their guard down.” The boys nod and head onto the court.

“Which one’s Zitao?” Luhan asks Sehun as they sit in the stands one friend short.

“The tall blonde on the left.” Sehun answers looking bored.

“Wow…” Luhan looks Tao up and down. “He is hot.”

“You hate him.” Xiumin reminds his boyfriend.

“Right!” Luhan blinks and tries to remember why they are there.

“Guys I feel bad coming here and leaving Lay all alone on a Friday night.” Suho says, “We should have gone to hang out with him instead.”

“No.” Luhan, Xiumin and Sehun all say at once taking Suho by surprised.

“I want to see the game.” Xiumin says.

“We already paid for our tickets.” Sehun adds.

“And we have to find a way to keep those two from going on their date!” Luhan exclaims making all his friends turn towards him.

“What was that?” His boyfriend asks.

Luhan smiles awkwardly. “Nothing…”

“How are we supposed to do that?” Sehun asks and Luhan sighs having hoped he could save his plan till the end of the game.

“Not we, you!” Luhan points to Sehun whose eyes widen.

The buzzer sounds and Tao’s just scored another point. He holds up his hand as he runs past his teammates and they all take turns giving him high fives.

“Don’t get too cocky.” One of the opposing member’s says nudging Tao hard on his chest making him lose his balance and almost fall back but he’s caught by a strong arm around his waist. He looks up to see Kris is holding him. Tightly too.

“Hey, don’t get pissy just because he’s better than you!” Kris shouts back before standing Tao up straight still with one hand on his back for support.

“You ok?”

Kris's eyes are on Tao and it’s the first time Tao’s ever felt nervous and unsure of himself. He looks away from Kris with a shade of red on his cheeks and nods. Kris gives a reassuring squeeze to his arm and Tao can't help smiling before running after him back to center court.

“You’re the only one who knows Tao.” Luhan explains to Sehun, “You can distract him after the game while we tell Lay to meet us at the movie theatre where he will unsuspectingly run into Kris! We don’t show up and when Tao's a no show Kris will think he stood him up and its fate he ran into Lay. He'll fall in love and bam, Lay’s happy again. Everyone wins!”

Luhan’s friends all stare at him speechless and wide eyed.

“Lulu, I really think you’ve lost it.” Xiumin rubs his boyfriends arm with concern.

“Yeah, that would never work.” Sehun scoffs. “Also I told you I don’t know him, we’re just in the same class.”

“That’s still something.” Luhan looks around hopeful for support. “Look I know those jerk friends of Kris did something to Lay. Why would they ask him to meet Kris? They don’t want Kris and him together. They’re playing dirty. I say we do too.”

“But Kris asked Tao out. Doesn’t that mean he likes him?” Suho asks.

“Come on, am I the only one who sees the way he looks at Lay?” And at this the rest of the friends have to agree. Even though Lay had been ignoring Kris the whole week Kris had not been doing the same and was constantly staring at Lay when they passed in the hallway. He didn’t bother hiding his glances and the looks became very noticeable to Lay’s friends who would question him about it to no benefit.

“It would be nice to see Lay with the person he likes.” Xiumin says quietly and Luhan looks at him like he just remembered why he loves him.

“Well if it will make Lay happy...then I’m in.” Suho nods and they all turn to Sehun who can’t believe what he’s hearing.  

He sighs heavily, “What am I supposed to do exactly?”

To say the game was close would be a lie. SM EXO wins by 30 points and when the buzzer sounds the team runs to group hug Kris and Tao who are pushed awkwardly together in the center of the court.

“Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!” Kris’s friends joke or maybe they are serious but are met with laughs from their teammates and a scowl from Kris as he tries to remain calm and not press too hard into Tao who is looking at him and smiling.

“Nice work. I knew you had it in you.” Tao says happily.

“Thanks...You too.” is all Kris can manage to say.

After the game Kris plans to meet Tao at the movie theatre after he insist he has to shower at his house and can’t shower in a school locker room. Kris leaves first and Tao is the last one out even having not showered he still takes forever to dress out. He walks out of the locker room and is met with an unfamiliar face.

 

-x-

Lay doesn’t feel left out when his friends decide to go to the game without him. He would hate to be the reason they didn’t go. Instead he decides to take advantage of this time alone. Luckily his parents have gone out on a date night so he’ll have the house to himself. He cleans the house before finishing his weekend homework and practicing his guitar (No one could say he wasn’t a good son) After everything else he thinks a horror movie marathon night would be a lot of fun. He dresses in comfortable black sweats and a grey tank, grabs his pillows and plushes and makes a nice nest for himself on the living room floor. He’s just about to pop in the first Scream movie when he gets a call from Luhan.

“Hey, is the game over already?” He asks right away.

“Lay! We’re all going to the movies! Get dressed and meet us at the theatre! You know the one a few blocks from your house?” Luhan answers ignoring Lay’s question.

“The theatre? But…” Lay looks back at his comfortable nest on the floor. Normally he would love to go to the movies with his friends but he was already in comfortable clothes that he did not want to change out of and his heart was already set on a horror movie night. “Actually if it’s cool with you I think I’ll stay home tonight.”

“WHAT?” Luhan says in a panic. “No, you have to come out with us!”

“It’s fine. Go without me. I don’t really feel like it.” Lay answers happily. “Let me know if it’s any good though. Bye!”

Lay hangs up and Luhan is left dumbfounded staring at his phone as his boyfriend and Suho stare at him sitting inside his car at the theatre parking lot.

“So when’s Lay coming?” Xiumin asks.

“He’s…not.” Luhan looks up at him still in shock.

“What?!” Suho says, “Then what are we going to do about Sehun?”

 

-x-

“Hey, great game!” Smiles a young blonde boy.

“Thanks.” Tao smiles back and makes to go around him but the boy begins to walk alongside him. Which Tao finds strange and his guard is instantly put up.

“You’re really amazing. You play like a pro. I’ve never seen anyone play like you before.” The boy continues to praise him and smile at him and Tao doesn’t want to make eye contact. Maybe it’s the fact that they’re alone but Tao doesn’t feel safe with this boy.

“Yeah well I’ve been playing basketball my whole life.” Tao says picking up his pace and the boy walks faster as well.

“Hey do you maybe want to hang out a little?” The boy suddenly says and Tao is quick to face him.

“Look I’m not interested ok! Flattered but no thanks.” He rolls his eyes turning away heading to the parking lot when he feels a hand on his shoulder. His instincts take over and he’s flipping the boy over his shoulder. The boy falls hard onto the cement rolling over in pain. Tao’s suddenly in a panic realizing he may have acted too hastily.

“Ow. Oh my god, what the hell was that for?” The boy rolls on his side.

“Sorry, you scared me!” Tao says kneeling down beside the boy.

“Scared you?” The boy says trying to sit up. “I was just trying to be nice and talk with you. You act like we’re strangers.”

“We are strangers.” Tao says back met with wide eyes. “Who the hell are you?”

“Oh Sehun. We’re in the same philosophy class. I sit right next to you. How can you not remember me?”

“I don’t take philosophy. Wait…is that the boring class before gym where I don’t understand anything the teacher says?”

“Probably.” Sehun tries to get up but a sharp pain in his ankle brings him crashing back down. “OW! My ankle, I think it’s broken.”

“What! No way! How? I flipped you on your back!”

“I think my foot hit the cement first. Ow, it really hurts.”

“Oh man I’m in so much trouble! My master’s going to kill me for using Wu Shu outside of the dojo” Tao looks around worried.

“You? What about me! I’m crippled because of you.”

“Fine! You big baby we’ll focus on your problem first.” Tao rolls his eyes bringing out his cell phone and dialing. “Heechul, I need your help and don’t tell dad. Just come here and help me take one of my classmates to the hospital. Don’t worry I’m fine. Ok bye.”

“I can’t believe my bad luck.” Sehun sighs.

“You’re telling me. I’m supposed to be on a date right now. And now Kris…Oh my god Kris!” Tao quickly takes his phone out again while Sehun narrows his eyes shaking his head disbelieving how self-centered this boy can be.

 

-x-

When Tao calls Kris he isn’t at the theatre but at a convenient store a block away hoping to sneak in some candy and not have to pay those ridiculous theatre prices.

“Hello, Tao?”

“Kris I have terrible news”  Tao sounds on the verge of tears.

“What’s wrong? Is everything ok?”

“No! I got attacked outside the school and – ”

“I didn’t attack you!”  Kris hears another voice through the receiver.

“Who’s that?”

“Oh, just Sehun.”

“It’s Oh Sehun!”

“Shut up! I wasn’t trying to say your full name! He’s a kid in one of my classes, no one special but I kinda crippled him and now I have to take him to the hospital.”

“Oh wow. Ok. Well uh another time then? Hope your friends ok.” 

“He’s not my friend. I’m really sorry Kris I’ll make this up to you!”

Kris smiles at Tao’s suking voice. “It’s ok don’t worry about it. I’ll see ya.”

 

-x-

Tao hangs up looking annoyed at the boy clutching his ankle next to him. “You owe me.”

“I owe you?” Sehun gawks.

When Heechul finally arrives he and Tao help carry Sehun into the back seat and Tao sits next to him.

“Why are you sitting back here?” Sehun looks suspiciously at Tao.

“It would be rude to leave you sitting back here alone. Don’t you think?” Tao says. Sehun doesn’t think that’s rude at all but can see Tao’s trying to be nice. His phone rings and he quickly answers it trying to shield his voice with his hand talking in a whisper.

“Hey what's up?” He asks.

“Abort the plan Sehun, Lay didn’t go for it.”

“What?” Sehun shouts making Tao jump.

“Hey, why are you suddenly yelling?” Tao looks over annoyed at him.

“You guys . I broke my ankle because of you!” Sehun says in a low angry whisper.

“What? How?”

“Just forget it.” Sehun says hanging up the phone slouching back in his seat, “I hate my friends.”

 

-x-

 Kris sighs. Those two sounded close. He thinks to himself. He said he was a classmate?  He quickly shakes the thought from his head though he can’t help feeling uneasy and disappointed that he wasn’t able to hang out with Tao. He laughs at his misfortune and is about to leave the store when the doors chime open and he looks up to see a familiar face.

He quickly ducks down behind a shelf to hide. His heart is racing and he’s not sure why. Wait a minute. Why am I hiding? He thinks to himself. He peers over the top of the chip counter at the hooded boy who is in the next aisle looking at different bags of popcorn. Pft. I’m not going to say hi. He’s been avoiding me all week. Some friend. I’ll just leave and he never has to know I was here. Kris divs out in his mind but he can’t seem to stop staring at this boy. He’s buying popcorn. I could use some popcorn...so I guess I have to go in the same aisle as him. It can’t be helped. And if he sees me and starts talking to me it would be rude not to talk back. Ok I’ll do that. Kris nods approving of his plan but just as he walks into the snack aisle the boy moves to the soda aisle without noticing him. On second thought I need soda. Kris thinks following the boy.

He gradually moves closer to the boy still unnoticed and picks up an unfamiliar soda brand constantly looking sideways at the hooded figure next to him who is staring intently at two different drinks in his hand. Man my throat feels dry. Kris thinks to himself before letting out a loud cough finally catching the boy’s attention.

“Kris?”

“Oh, hey Lay. I didn’t see you there.” Kris smiles.

 

A/N: This chapter ended up being a lot longer than I had planned. Oh well I hope you liked it! Sorry for the late update!! The next chapter will be out sooner! Thank you for all the comments, subs and upvotes. I can't tell you how happy it makes me that you all are giving this story a chance T.T Please continue to comment and support. It fuels my writing! Especially on days where I just don't feel up to it  ._.