Day 1

The Excellent Adventures of Princes Kyuhyun and Eunhyuk

It had started out as a normal day in the Kingdom of Idyllic Vacation Spots, but Fate apparently decided that normal days were overrated.

As the king and queen lounged in their trouble-free court, listening to delicate melodies of lyre-players and to grandiose recitations of poetic works dating more than few centuries from the past, they were interrupted by the harsh sound of a woman’s wailing in no language that anyone present could comprehend. Startled by the noise, the kingdom’s two gems, Prince Kyuhyun and Prince Eunhyuk, rushed in to see what had happened.

The woman, whose hair was graying and filthy and matted with mud, thrashed around on the pristine floor, still babbling nonsense and—

“Oh my Siwon, I think she’s foaming at the mouth. Someone call the doctor!”

“Hyukkie-hyung, while frothing is a symptom of rabies, I don’t think that’s what’s wrong with her.”

“Call the soothsayer then, Kyu!”

“You do it!”

“Hell no, Onew scares the crap out of me!”

“Onew’s as harmless as an inanimate object that tends to fall down at random intervals!”

“But have you seen that guy at lunch? With his—his—holy flying bunnies, Kyu, you can’t call that chicken-obsession healthy.”

The palace soothsayer, Onew, was eventually called (the woman was still rolling around on the floor, because no one thought that it was in any way imperative to make sure she wasn’t, I don’t know, dying or something). He also managed to trip over the smooth tiles of the floor and knock over a few armored guards while he was at it, but it’s the thought that counts.

“IT’S THE LANGUAGE OF MY MOTHERLAND!” he exclaimed (read: squealed in utter elation), stumbling over and practically flinging himself onto the ground next to the crazy lady. The rest of the court (which was used to such outbursts from their resident soothsayer) stood stock still in anticipation as Onew listened with rapt attention, nodding and gasping at all the appropriate intervals. Or, at least, that’s what they assumed, since this was all gibberish to them.

Somehow, the woman had gotten on her two feet in the middle of this exchange, continuing to shriek at no one in particular as Onew followed her to the door. When the she finally left, the door slamming shut with a concluding BANG, he turned and approached the throne with a completely somber expression on his face.

Then he started singing.

 

“Oh Princes two of our great Kingdom

You have been called by destiny

To find your One True Loves afar

Who will aid you against your enemies

 

The younger will travel the Sapphire Towers

And set his beauty free

While the elder, still, will fall for one

Who sings the essence of the sea

 

Oh trudge and row, trudge and row

Climb the vines to victory

Trudge and row, trudge and row

That one’s not whom he seems to be!”

 

Onew bowed, signaling the end of his song, and everyone clapped.

“I like your voice!” some unnamed, irrelevant court official called.

The queen, Leeteuk, coughed, waving goodbye to Onew when he pranced out of the room. He (Yes. Queen. He.) then turned to address Prince Kyuhyun and Prince Eunhyuk, who were both wearing identical faces that summed up the phrase “WTF” quite wholly. Because that was possibly the worst poetry they had ever heard anyone utter, and they had heard some pretty bad poetry in their lifetimes. They held their breaths in anticipation, knowing what their mother was probably going to say to them but still hoping desperately that he wouldn’t. Maybe he’d talk about squirrels instead. Squirrels were good.

“Well, you heard her, sons.”

Siwon damn it all.

***

“But seriously, why would he listen to the words of some raving madwoman and send us out here?”

“Why are you complaining, Hyukkie? I thought you were the one who always wanted to get out of the castle.”

“Well, yeah, but to find my One True Love? In some random water? DO YOU REALIZE HOW MUCH WATER IS IN OUR VICINITY??? Our kingdom’s a freaking peninsula!”

“Oh, it can’t be that bad. I think my prophecy wants me to scale some towers, and I can’t fly yet so that’ll be an issue.”

“You’re…expecting to be able to fly in the future?”

“I’m working on it. The blueprint’s half-finished.”

It had been a grand total of three hours since the two princes had been sent out from their not-so-humble abode with nothing but the clothes on their backs, two well-bred horses, lots of money, sacks of food, amulets for good luck, and essentially everything they’d need, ever. Accompanying them also was the stable boy, Henry, because every travel group of princes needs someone to do all of their work for them (not that he actually did much in the area of physical labor; he’d voluntarily changed his job to Traveling Bard).

The Sapphire Towers were a ways from the palace, on the outskirts of the kingdom. Legend had it that they were part of the ruins of the castle of what was once a neighboring kingdom before their own kingdom had taken over, but that was ridiculous because no one in the Kingdom of Idyllic Vacation Spots had any violent tendencies whatsoever.

SIWON DAMMIT, IF I SEE ANOTHER SQUAWKING SQUIRREL, WE’RE EATING IT.

Calm your fiery soul and release your rage, Prince Eunhyuk.”

“Shut up, Henry,” both princes chorused.

Before they were even halfway on their trek, the group was met by a sobbing child in the middle of the road.

Although, once the child looked up at them, they realized that this wasn’t a child at all and was simply a really cute, short, watery-eyed man.

“What’s wrong?” Henry, being the most compassionate of the three, asked.

“I lost my Voice!” the man shrieked, and they all cringed.

“Um,” Kyuhyun started, “no offense, but I don’t really believe you.”

The man sniffled some more before wiping his tear-tracked face some-what drier with his sleeve. “Oh, not my voice. My Voice.”

“…I don’t get it,” Eunhyuk supplied.

“My Voice! The one who sings with me when I play my piano!” With this, the small man whipped a keyboard out of his bag (which had to be four-dimensional; there’s no plausible way that could have fit into a normal bag because Mom lied when she told you that you could fit anything into a suitcase as long as you folded it nicely) and started playing a mournful melody.

…Which was really pleasing to the ears, actually. “We should hire a pianist for the palace,” Eunhyuk whispered to Kyuhyun on the side.

“Don’t we have Henry?” the younger prince whispered back.

Eunhyuk shook his and spared a side glance at the boy who was currently enraptured by the instrument. “Henry’s the stable boy, no matter what else he says he does.”

“I see.”

Kyuhyun walked over to the engrossed pianist and placed a hand on his shoulder tentatively. “We could help you look for your Voice, if you’d like.” Because seriously, this man was kind of a roadblock and their consciences would never let them live it down if they just left him here and moved on.

“Really? You guys would do that for me?” Curse those irresistible puppy-eyes.

“Yeah. What does he look like?”

“Oh, his name is Yesung and he’s really handsome and he has the most amazing voice ever…I’m Ryeowook, by the way.”

“Kyuhyun’s name isn’t Yesung, but he’s handsome and he can sing!”

“Shut up, Henry,” Eunhyuk said indignantly. He was handsome too, and he could dance, dammit. “Hi Ryeowook, I’m Eunhyuk.”

Kyuhyun ignored them both. “Anything else that might make it easier to distinguish him at a glance…?”

Ryeowook looked thoughtfully at nothing in particular (it could have been the tree across the road, but it could also have been the pebble on the ground). “Well, he has black hair and small hands…oh! He also carries turtles with him wherever he goes!”

“…Turtles?”

“Yeah! He loves turtles.”

“Kyu, didn’t we see some guy at stream about a half of a mile back?”

Kyuhyun thought. Yeah, there had been a guy like that, and they’d all shuffled away quickly from the weirdness that emanated from the area. “Would Yesung be crouched over a stream and cooing at it?”

“That’s him!” Ryeowook said excitedly, jumping up and looking like he absolutely had not been crying thirty seconds ago. “Where did you see him? Can you take me there? It’s really scary out here alone! I miss my Yesungie…”

They all sighed, except for Henry who was very empathic to the man’s plight (it was either that, or he was very much attracted to his keyboard), and backtracked to where they had seen Yesung.

“YESUNGIE!!!” Ryeowook trilled when they found the man sitting at the same place in the exact same position as they had before.

“Wookie?” Yesung looked up (finally) at the voice. “Where have you been?”

Ryeowook raced to the stream and glomp-tackled him, sobbing again. “What do you mean where have I been?!” he screeched. “Why didn’t you tell me Ddangkoma wanted a bath?! I walked and walked and then I realized you weren’t there and I didn’t know what to do and it was really scary and why do you do this to me, Yesungie?!

The other man simply patted the hysterical pianist’s head and hummed, rocking back and forth. Soon, Ryeowook was perfectly calm and smiley.

“I can’t thank you enough for leading me back to my Voice,” he bowed once they were done epically reuniting (“He was only about 880 yards away”, Kyuhyun mumbled under his breath). “You said you were headed to the Sapphire Towers, right?”

“Yup,” Eunhyuk said, as it had come up in their conversation there, “we’re going to find Kyu’s OTL.” This earned him a jab in the side.

“Then please accept this piano as a token of my gratitude!” He drew another keyboard from his bag somehow. “Rest assured, it will definitely aid you on your quest.”

Eunhyuk looked puzzled. “But we don’t have anyone who can play the keys—”

“Yes we do!” Henry flailed a bit and jumped forward to accept the keyboard with fervent thank-you’s.

“Great! Good luck, and thanks again!” Both waved happily and continued on their way, leaving the trio standing in the middle of the road again.

“…What just happened?” Eunhyuk scratched his head.

Henry shook his head and hugged the fourth dimensional keyboard to his chest. “I don’t know, but I got a keyboard!”

“That’s great, Henry. That’s great.” Kyuhyun sighed and rubbed his eyes. “Can we move on now? It’s getting dark and I want to find an inn so Bunny can rest.”

“Yeah, sure.” Eunhyuk nodded, and they all mounted and started traveling again. “I still can’t believe you of all people would name their horse Bunny.”

“You named yours Fishy, and it doesn’t look remotely like a fish. At least bunnies are mammals too.”

“Guys, both of you should have given them cooler names, like Steve.” Steve was definitely the coolest horse there.

“Shut up, Henry.”

***

Eventually an inn was found, and its owner (who the three thought might be slightly off his rocker) introduced himself as G-Dragon. “But you should call me GD! It’s like, a more hip version of my name, you know? Can’t you just imagine me at a concert with a thousand fans shouting it? GD! GD! G—”

“Jiyong, please let the customers book a room now, I’m sure they’re very tired from their journey.” A tall, exasperated man appeared behind the platinum blond ball of hyperness.

“You need to stop interrupting my awesomeness, Seunghyun,” GD pouted and crossed his arms. “And I was totally getting to that. You didn’t have to tell me! Go…go serve some food or something.”

“It’s ten o’clock at night.”

“Ever heard of midnight snacks???”

The tall man rolled his eyes and turned to the travelers, smiling (but it was a really y smile, so it came out more like a smirk). “You can call me T.O.P.” T.O.P then turned and sauntered toward the hallway.

“No, call him Seunghyun, that jerk.” GD stuck his tongue out at the retreating man. “Seriously, isn’t it just terrible when the people around you can’t appreciate how amazing you are? I swear, in another world he’d be clamoring for my autograph. And I wouldn’t give it to him.”

The three just stared. You would stare, too, if you had to take in what just happened in less than two minutes.

“Oh right, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry.” While saying this, for some odd reason, GD did a little dance that resembled rubbing sticks together to make a fire. “You’re here for rooms, right? How many?”

Henry started. “One—”

“TWO,” both princes interjected. (“Stupid royalty can’t appreciate me,” Henry grumbled. “Oh, I know how you feel completely,” GD replied in a comforting way.)

GD nodded at them, bouncing to what seemed to be music that only he could hear, and checked a clipboard. He flipped through it a few times. “Oh, sorry, we actually only have one room left, so I don’t know why I even asked. Many apologies!”

They were led to their room, and of course, there were only two beds.

“Icallthisonetomyself!” Eunhyuk spit out and launched himself onto one mattress, landing spread-eagle and effectively taking up the entire surface.

Curses,Kyuhyun swore. “Well, fine! I like Henry better anyway!”

“Yay!” Henry gave him a big hug and started singing.

And so ended the first day of Kyuhyun and Eunhyuk’s excellent adventures to find their OTL’s.

---------------------------------

A/N: I'm sorry this took so long. O.o I got distracted writing KyuMin drabbles...