Part II; Too young to even realize

"Do you believe in destiny?"

“Hey, Bun! You’re back!” Gaeul, one of the workers from the pharmacy greeted me as soon as she saw me in her sight. She used to be my trainer when I first worked here and she taught me a lot of stuffs. We grew closer day by day and she’s the only one who cried when I said I want to quit because I had to continue my studies. As I walked closer to her, she embraced me in a hug without I could respond to it, she went to me and hug so tightly as if we haven’t meet in years.

                “Gaeul, hey I miss you, too.” I said, laughing while I tried to escape from her tight grip. She released me and punched me on the shoulder lightly. “I thought you said you’ll be visiting me often?”  I grinned as I rub the nape of my neck, “Well, studies got in the way.” I said and I know she understands more than what I stated.

                She was on her break so she offered to buy me meals since we haven’t met in a long time. She talked most of the time and I don’t mind, knowing my mind is not fully here. It’s somewhere else, probably looking for him. I saw a finger snapped in front of me and I was startled as I turned to face her. “What?” I asked, widened my eyes at her.

                “He’s not here. He hadn’t come back ever since.” She slowly said, understanding why I was lost for a moment ago. I nodded and played with the meals. “I know. I didn’t expect he would come either.” I said.

                “Ya Bun, I noticed the cosmetic section got pretty dusty.” Min Ah, one of my trainers suddenly talked to me as she offered a bucket and a piece of ragged clothes to me and immediately I know what she meant. Obediently, I took it from her hands and nodded. “Consider it done.” I said, trying not to show that I was annoyed by the chores they gave me around the shop was all nothing but petty jobs. The kind of chores that’s too inconsequential and annoying, so they passed it onto me. And I on the other hand, was still a newbie and the youngest, had no other choice but to obey the indirect orders they gave.

                “You’re not a quitter, Bun. You don’t live to kiss up peoples’ butts. You’re here to ease everyone. And so you shall. You can do this.” I said to myself, knowing there’s no one there that would give me a few words for me to stay strong, might as well give one to myself. I was wiping the shelf while having conversation with myself when suddenly I heard man’s voice suddenly talked to me. I was startled that I almost hit the upper shelf above me.

                “Talking to yourself-? Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t expect it would startle you.” He quickly got on his knee, the same level as me and looked at me with a worried expression. I rubbed my head and turned to him, knowing well who he is. He’s the guy from the shop next to ours. I don’t know him much but looking at his uniforms made me recognize him immediately. Besides, who would forget the kind of guy that was so bold on trying to hit on you in every attempt? “What do you want?” I said, stressing the whole sentence and purposely made it sound as if I’m full of annoyance.

                “You’re hurt?” “No.””Sorry about startling you.” “Whatever. What do you want?” “To talk to you.” “No.” “Can I stay here longer?” “No.” “Can I call you ‘rose’?” “No.” “Then, can i-“ “Look, I’m busy okay. If you want to talk, go to Gaeul. She has all the time you need. Goodbye.”

                I rose up and head to the store room without glancing back, hoping he would go away. Frankly, I wasn’t near annoying whenever he’s around. I just like to pretend I am because it’s really amusing to see him trying so hard. I like to see the effort if he really likes me or if he just bored. But, then again I took myself as too young to know what love is anyway. Therefore, I simply brushed the thoughts away.