Changing the Key Signature

Fighting! ,Park Shin Hye

CHAPTER 13

Shin Hye POV

I felt something wet. I opened my eyes and sat up. I looked to the left and there it was the wetness. I thought since I am no longer underweight I would stop these night sweats. My clothes are drenched and I smell horrible. I looked around to see if there was a clock in the room.  

Ahh, there it is. It is on Ailee’s night stand. I stood up and tiptoed my way to the clock that was by her. As I got closer, I smelled something weird. And it is not my smell. I have a distinct smell from this smell. Oh…now I know. It smells like alcohol. I guess she drank a lot last night. I looked to the left. Oh my god. Somebody was beside her. He was shirtless (they had a light blanket on top of them) and was holding her tight. I guess I was a heavy sleeper last night. I did not hear a sound. I wonder how she got in with him.

I looked at the time. Good, its 7 am. I have time to shower, eat and meet up with Kahi to practice.

I came out of the room to find myself with the witch.

“Good Morning.” I faked my smile.

She stopped for a moment. “Not only your presence is terrible also the smell you bring along.”

I gave her a blank stare and just proceeded to the bathroom. You don’t have to tell me the obvious. I know I reek.

After my shower, I went down to the kitchen finding myself again with Ailee’s mother.  She seemed more annoyed because I left on Kahi’s sweat pants and sweater that I had on yesterday and that I went to sleep with (I have nothing else that fits me). It smells really bad because of the sweat.

“Don’t think I am making you breakfast. This is not a hotel.” She said.

I went straight to the packs of waterbottles to get myself one.

“Where is my father?” I asked to change the subject.

“He left to work. He needs to pay for more expenses.” She was referring to me, of course.

“I’m going to a hair appointment tell Ailee that her breakfast was left on the dining table.” She left out the door.

I looked around the kitchen to find what I can make. I spotted the spotty bananas and the two mangoes that were in the corner. The blender was just by it. Perfect. Smoothie time. I heard somebody coming down.

“Ailee, your food is on the table.” I turned around. It was the guy.

“Oh my god you scared me.” He said startled.

My eyes widen. This is awkward.

“Who are you, one of the maids? I thought they came around 10 am.”

“No, I’m her step sister.”

“Oh that’s right. No wonder I saw somebody sleeping in her room.”

“Right…”

“I’m sorry. Your first impression of me isn’t that great huh?”

I nodded my head. “Are you her boyfriend?”

“Oh no.”

There was silence. “Okay.” I finally said. I went back into making my smoothie because I am hungry. It was bananas, mangoes, water and ice I found in the freezer. After I served my smoothie into a mason jar I found, I noticed that the guy was still in the kitchen.

“Do you need something?” I asked.

“Yeah, you’re name. What is your name?” he asked with genuine curiosity.

“Shin Hye.” I responded shortly.

He smiled. This was creepy.

“Pretty name.”

I couldn’t help but smile. Somebody complimented me.

“Oh thank you!” I began to drink my smoothie. Suddenly, my eyes focused on Ailee. She had on the guy’s button up shirt on with no pants underneath.  Her eyes were fierce. Ignoring me, she pulled the guy’s shirt to pull him down and just began to kiss him passionately. The guy just went along but suddenly he stopped and just pulled his lips away.

“Your breakfast is on the table, go eat.” He said sternly. It kind of caught me off guard. He sounded like a sergeant. She gave him the same face that she gave to me, the disgusted face. Ailee rolled her eyes and went to the dining table to eat.

“Aren’t you going to ask me?” He leaned on the refrigerator.

I placed the empty Mason jar down on the counter.

“Ask what?” I said with a serious tone.

“My name” he gave me a grin. I didn’t say anything. I’m expecting him to say his name. He chuckled.

“Ok ok stop asking me. My name is Jung Byung-Hee. But you can call me G.O”

Okay…this guy is weird.

“G.O?”

“Yup.”

“Okay then.” I looked at the time. It was already 8 o clock. I am supposed to meet Kahi at 10:30.

“Wait a minute..” G.O said to me as he dashed up stairs. He ran back down the stairs and he handed me a big striped sweater.

“Here put this on. It’s kind of chilly outside and your sweater smells bad. Not you but the sweater.” I was lost. Why would he give me his sweater? Does he have his own closet there?

He laughed.

“You have a cute confused look on your face. I noticed that the clothes you have in your luggage are really small. Also, Ailee let me keeps my clothes here. Again, by saying this I am not leaving you with a great impression of me.” Embarrassed, he put his hand on the nape of his neck.

“Thank you.” I bowed my head.

“Anyways, I have to go. It was nice to meet you, Shin Hye.” He gave me a wink and left to the dining room to say goodbye to her.

Wow that was weird.       

I heard him talking to Ailee.

“I’m leaving. This will be our last.”

“Why are you treating me like this? You know what happened last night.”

“It’s not my fault. It was fun while it lasted Ailee.” 

“What are you talking about?” I heard her stand up and slammed some utensil on the table. I poked my head into the room without them noticing.

He came close to her face.

“I really enjoyed those nights, and last night too. But I’m done, find yourself another partner.” He gave soft peck on her lips. Byung Hee gave a satisfactory grin and walked out the door.  Ailee slowly sat back down, angered. I went back into the kitchen to change my sweater fast and go to Kahi. As I was opening the door to leave, Ailee tapped my shoulder.

“What?” I asked as I turned around.

PAM.

She slapped my face. It stinged.

“I HATE YOU. YOU ANOREXIC B*TCH.” She yelled.  Her eyes were filled with hatred and tears.

I cannot break down in front of her I need to be strong. My heart was beating so fast of how angry I was. I took a deep breath, turned right back around and walked out the door. Let see how long I can put up with this.

_

“AHHHHHHGGG” Ailee screamed and cried. She pushed the chairs from the dining table and everything else. She lay on the couch, remembering last night at the café.

                       After singing her song, Yong Hwa went up to her to congratulate her.

“Amazing singing, I loved it.” He smiled.

“Thanks it’s because you cheered me on.” She winked at him.

“Oh that’s right I need to talk you, serious talk.” She grabbed his hand to take him outside.

“Remember you came to my house that time?” She said shyly.

“Oh..I’m sorry about it. The-“ she stopped him.

“I really like you and I know you have some type of feelings for me. Please recognize them. I need you to confirm them for me. I can’t go on like this, you giving me false illusions and just being so nice. Tell me that you do.” Ailee grabbed onto his shirt, pleading him. Yong Hwa gently took her hands off his shirt.

“I’m sorry I am not going to part of your little game. I have somebody important in my life right now. I’m sorry; I can not return those feelings to you. My feelings are for somebody else.” He walked right back into the café.  She hated it. Who can that person be? He was always by himself ,Minhyuk  or his mother.  At that moment she remembered that moment he left. Shin Hye, Shin Hye was mentioned on tv. Her blood began to boil. She can not take it. She was determined to make her life impossible until she was completely gone, just like her mother.

Immediately, Ailee called someone on her cell phone.

“Where are you?” she asked intensely.

“At the usual place, Kim’s Bar.”

“On my way.” She strutted her way there.

She entered the bar searching for him. Every man she passed by threw her coins. She rolled her eyes. Ailee found him. He was by the counter talking to the bartender and holding a glass of whiskey. She aggressively took the glass of whiskey and drank it all in one shot. Ailee placed the glass on the table and pulled Byung Hee close to her to kiss him. It was one hot passionate kiss. She pulled away and whispered into his ear “lets go.”  He knew what that meant.

During the car ride, she kept on drinking some can of beers she bought herself along the way.

“Are you sure you want to do it in your house?”

“Duh.. I don’t want to go to a dirty motel.”

“Alright. You look hot by the way.”

“He didn’t think so.”

“YongHwa? Is that what it is? He rejected you didn’t he?”

“Shut up.”

 He laughed. “Hey, don’t be feisty with me; I’m doing you a favor tonight. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy it as well. You’re the best one out of all the ones I’ve done it with. You actually got the body. One girl didn’t really have many curves. It kind of annoyed me.” Ailee didn’t answer him. She knew deep inside that he was being a jerk. She just needed a way to let out her anger and frustration.

-

Shin Hye pov

Yes…second day out of the hospital. I feel so free and hungry..

I walked to the nice vegan bohemian café where I went with Yong Hwa. Just thinking about him gets me nervous. I entered the café to get myself another smoothie and something for Kahi. (Along the way I went to the ATM to get some money I have saved from my prominent years.)

Mhmmm…what type of smoothie should I get? The banana bread one sounds delicious. Let me get some oatmeal raisin cookies for Kahi.

“Hi can I have one large nana bread smoothie and the large set of oatmeal raisin cookies please.”

“Yes, that will be $13.00”

“Okay” I was looking through my wallet. I heard a familiar voice say “ Here you go.”

I looked up. Oh my gosh. Yong Hwa. He gave a cute smile.

“Wait no don’t take it” I exclaimed as he handed the money to the cashier.

I pouted. He ruffled my short hair.

“Don’t worry about it.” His soothing voice gave me a sense of protection.

No. not yet. He might be playing with me. But there is a slight chance that he is not; I just want to be fully recovered.

Also, I want to know more about him.

“Okay..whats your favorite smoothie from this place?”

“The apple pie one. It’s so good.”

“Soymilk or almondmilk?”

“Soymilk, its creamier, especially in smoothies.”

“You’re right! Water, not so much.” I did a little laugh.

“Here you go!” the cashier gave me the food.

“Thank you!” I smiled at her.

“You guys are such a cute couple!” she gave me a cute smile.

Omg. Yong Hwa felt my awkwardness so he spoke up “Oh no we’re just friends. But thanks.” He smiled at her. 

Yup, just friends.  I walked in front of him trying to avoid being awkward around him. 

“Shin Hye, where are you going?”  Oh god he looked so cute when I turned around. I perhaps may have looked at him from head to toe. He wore a nice grey blazer with a fitted button down shirt and nice fitted dark blue jeans. His shoes were the classic converse. Just beautiful.

Meanwhile I looked like crap with a really nice man sweater on me. Haha.

“I’m going to Kahi’s place.”

“I can take you there.”

I sipped from the straw.

Well, I can’t do much exercise and it is a long walk….

“…Ok..” my heart was thumping.

“Awesome.” He grabbed the bag of cookies and we walked to his black Toyota car.

We entered the car and both put on our seatbelts. I didn’t want to be awkward like yesterday. It felt like he didn’t either. So he the radio.

“OH, you listen to Chopin too?” I got excited; I haven’t heard any music for a year. Until that day in the hospital, I heard his wonderful playing. And now, I have the chance to listen to it without having so much pain and fear. It actually was relaxing me.

“Yup!” He raised the volume.

“I love this nocturno! Its in b minor , op. 9 no.1”

“It gives that sense of hope but with alittle obstacles in the way.”

“You’re right! I really love the crescendos in this piece. I love when he plays in a octave higher. It’s so soothing with a touch of light at the end of the road.”

He turned his head and smiled. I felt a blood rush through my cheeks.

“What?”

“Nothing,” he smiled some more. He kept on driving.

“Tell me where I am supposed to turn, Shin Hye”

“Oh right I forgot. At this light, turn to the left please.”

“Ok got it. I actually like the E major version. It’s more hopeful.” He paused for a moment then continued. “Its funny how you change the key signature, you have the same melody but different feeling to it.”

 The way he said it, and what he said. It has a deeper meaning than what you think. He was right. I am still me, the melody, but I am just slowly transitioning my key signature. I’m going to show myself and everyone else the new key signature that gives a more “allegro” and hopeful sound.

“Turn to the right on the next light, into Hwang Ave.”

“You got it.”

We arrived. “Thank you so much!” I said while taking off my seatbelt.

“No problem.”

I took out an oatmeal cookie from the set. “Here, accept my gratitude.”

He chuckled. “Oh Shin Hye” he took the cookie and munched on it.

“Wait Shin Hye” he exclaimed while he opened the window. I was already outside of the car .

“What?”

“What time will you be finished?”

“ Maybe 5 in the afternoon?”

“Ok see ya then alright?”

“Huh, what? Okay..” He drove off.  I have to stop thinking about him; our conversation in the car was so much fun. I need to focus on the piano. I walked up the stairs to Kahi’s front door.  Time to practice!

 -

 “I think I found a girl that I actually might like..” Byung Hee smirked while saying it.

“About time you man .” His friend grinned.

“You’re just jealous of my adventures.”

“You’re funny. I’m a well known pianist and artist. I’ve done more things than you will ever.”

“Lee Jong Suk, the greatest pianist who always comes in second to the woman he loves, You’re pathetic.”

“She annoys me but she has this charm I can’t get enough of. She’s a beautiful player. I just want to show her that I am also capable. Maybe that will win her.” He drank his cup of coffee slowly.

“Unless I win her heart first…” he drank his macchiato.

Jung Suk laughed. “What are you talking about?”

“Park Shin Hye is the girl I actually like.” Byung Hee raised his eyebrows. “I’m not joking.” He said with a serious tone. Byung Hee stood up from the chair. “Ahh thanks for the invite. See ya around. May the best man win.” He gave slight pat on his shoulder.

His eyes became furious and bit his lips. Jung Suk clenched his fists.

Author's note::: So i used adobe photoshop to do a poster for this fanfic. I wanted to put Yong Hwa on it but I couldnt because 1. im inexperienced 2. adobe was being annoying. Its okay I guess. Anyways, I added GO from MBALQ, he was Ailee's friend. Lots of drama coming your way, I'm getting excited. Three guys after Shin Hye, omg. Oh and about the night sweats, many experienced those while recovering. I did as well, but not as bad as wetting the sheets, I still sweat but not as much as I'm still recovering. I never went to the hospital but this story is almost like my experience. Continue to show love! Comment upvote and subscribe! love you!!

 EDIT::: CHANGED THE POSTER TO WHAT A LOVELY DESIGNER MADE FOR ME. so if you're new, you did not see my ish poster yay hahah