ENCOUNTER!

My Life Forever Changed

      There were no words to describe Seohyun's shock. Yoochun oppa was this kind of person? 

      She held the package in her hands. 

      "Oh my, God," she whispered to herself. 

      "Seohyun?" 

      Seohyun's mother was standing with the door open. 

      "Are you coming in?" 

 

      At the dinner table, Seohyun couldn't bring herself to eat.

      "You came very late," her father pointed out, "Where did you go?"

      "I saw that you had a grocery bag," her mother said after she took a sip of water, "Did you need something? You could've asked me."

      "Oh, I didn't know," Seohyun replied.

      "Give me the bag," her mother offered, "I'll put the food away."

      "No!" Seohyun shot out of her chair, "It's not food!"

      "Ah, I see," her mother laughed.

      "What?" her father was confused.

      "Women's stuff," his wife responded.

      Seohyun ran to her room and found the bag sitting on the edge of her bed.

      "I can't let her find this!" she panicked and threw it under her bed.

      She reentered the dining room and returned to her seat.

      "I don't think going to the grocery store would take that long," her father stated, demanding to know the truth.

      "I had something," Seohyun replied vaguely.

      "Seohyun!" her father slammed his fist on the table.

      "Yobo!" Her mother frowned and she looked calmly at Seohyun, "Just tell us."

      "I went to lunch with some people."

      "You made friends?" her mother was delighted, "That's great!"

      "Who?" her father was not impressed yet.

      "A girl from my school and she brought her friends along," Seohyun answered blatantly, "But it's not going to happen again. We don't mesh well."

      "Why not? Seohyun this is---" but her mother was cut off by her father.

      "Socializing is something you can do once your studies are over," her father said sternly, "I need you to concentrate on your schoolwork and your piano. Those are the two things that will get you into a college education."

      "Yobo, Seohyun is not a robot. Being with friends is just as important!" her mother interjected.

      "Do you know how many teenagers lose focus because they waste their time?" her father argued, "Seohyun can't be like them! One hangout will lead to another and another, and it'll keep going!" 

      "I won't let you take away this from our daughter! She has a chance now and..."

      They always fought. They fought so much to the point that they didn't even notice Seohyun walk upstairs into her room. 

      Seohyun jumped onto her bed and threw her face into her pillow. 

      "Worst day ever," she mumbled to herself. 

      

      The next day, Jessica ignored Seohyun. Completely. 

      She sat down at her desk and waved in Seohyun's direction. Seohyun pretended to act cool and turned her head the other way. She waited for Jessica to call out her name.

      "Minji!" she called out instead.

      Seohyun looked up in surprise and saw that Jessica was talking to another student.

      "Huh," Seohyun scoffed and clicked her tongue, "So now you've decided to give up on me. Well, good for me, then."

      By lunch time in the cafeteria, Jessica would always drag Seohyun over to her lunch table, but this time, Seohyun watched Jessica walk right past her with three other girls. Seohyun had to be honest to herself. She was lonely.

      It was the end of the day and Seohyun saw that Jessica was waiting by her locker. Seohyun mood brightened up.

      "What do you want?" Seohyun muttered, trying to hide her happiness. 

      "Here," Jessica said smugly, "Your math textbook."

      Seohyun received her math textbook and Jessica turned around on her heel.

      "Jessica! Wait!" Seohyun called out, surprising herself.

      "What?" Jessica groaned, turning around reluctantly.

      Seohyun hadn't even thought of what she wanted to say. 

      "Um..." she couldn't think. 

      "Seohyun, don't waste my time," Jessica rolled her eyes, "What more do you want? I returned your stupid math book."

      Jessica began to walk away.

      Seohyun tightened her hands into fists. 

      "I want...I want to be your friend!" she shouted, "And...and I'm sorry!" 

      Jessica was startled. It was unexpected for Seohyun to raise her voice. 

      "You what?" she raised an eyebrow. 

      "I'm sorry," Seohyun explained in a quieter voice, "I don't know how to be with lots of people, and I just felt pressured that day...I'm sorry."

      Seohyun's mind flashed back to how happy her mother had been when she heard that Seohyun had gone to spend time with other people. 

      "I can't really say what I want...It makes me feel embarrassed, and I don't know how---"

      Seohyun looked up. Jessica had her hands on Seohyun's shoulders. Jessica cocked her head to one side and smiled. 

      "How can I refuse such a genuine offer like that?"

      

      "Okay, first off," Jessica asked, "Do you have any exams tomorrow?"

      The two girls were at the school gates. 

      "We have a math and bio test," Seohyun reminded her. 

      "Ah...right," Jessica laughed, "But you're already prepared for that, aren't you?"

      Seohyun nodded. 

      "Okay, then that's great!" Jessica exclaimed, "I'm going to give you a makeover!" 

      "A what?" Seohyun was nervous. 

      Jessica whisked Seohyun off to the department store and she dragged her into the women's section. 

      "I bet you don't have many other clothes besides your uniform?"

      "Well, I have these sweatpants---"

      Jessica shook her head. 

      "I want you to try these," and she pulled out three different outfits, "These are for when you go on dates."    

      "Dates?" Seohyun was shocked, "With...guys?" 

      Jessica giggled. 

      "You always should be prepared. You never know when a cute guy will appear..." 

      Jessica's voice suddenly faded. 

      "What?" Seohyun asked, as Jessica seemed enchanted by something... or more like someone.

      Seohyun turned around to see who Jessica was looking at. 

      Seohyun's eyes widended. It was the Jung Yonghwa guy she had met before. He was dressed in an expensive Italian tailored suit and surrounded by other formal looking businessmen and women. They seemed to be monitoring the mall. 

      "What...what is he doing there?" Seohyun asked Jessica. 

      "His father owns this place," Jessica answered dreamily.

      "His father owns this place?" Seohyun repeated.

      She nodded in acknowledgement. 

      She headed towards the dressing room, when it hit her.

      "His father owns THIS PLACE?" she yelled out loud. 

      All the employees stared at her. 

      "WHAT?" Seohyun could never get over the shock. 

      "Seohyun!" Jessica rushed over and brought a finger to her lips, "What are you doing? Everyone's staring at you!" 

      "Excuse me, Miss," a female employee quickly walked over, "May I be of any assistance?" 

      "Ah, no," Seohyun flushed red, "I'm sorry."

      "What about him?" a sudden voice asked.

      Jessica's hand dropped from Seohyun's shoulder. Seohyun turned around.

      "What about my dad?" Jung Yonghwa asked.