START!

My Life Forever Changed

The bell rang. 

It was time for school. 

The shuffling of feet sounded in the hallway, and one could hear the last minute locker slams of students who were rushing to run to class after getting their materials. 

All the Hyungyu high school students were busy scurrying into their classrooms, in fear of punishment from tardiness. 

Except for Choi Seohyun. 

"Hey, Seohyun!" Jung Jessica, a classmate of hers, greeted. 

Seohyun sighed. 

She wasn't even good friends with Jessica, but there was no way she could push her away. Jessica was too insistent on making conversation. 

Jessica sat down in her desk, which was right in front of Seohyun's. 

She turned around to make eye contact with Seohyun.

"How do you arrive here so early?" Jessica asked, genuinely confused, "What makes you want to do that?"

Seohyun turned a page in her math textbook. She responded without looking up.

"The morning is the only time when this school isn't noisy with gossip. Chit-chat makes my head hurt."

Jessica pouted cutely. 

"Yah," she tapped her finger on Seohyun's desk. 

Seohyun kept reviewing yesterday's math notes.

"Hey!" Jessica waved her hand in Seohyun's face. 

Seohyun finally gave in.

"Yes?"

"There is only one cure to that."

"Cure to what?" Seohyun asked crankily, "I am perfectly healthy."

"Your headache!" Jessica rolled her eyes, "You can't stand chit-chat, so you have to be exposed to it more."

Just then, a group of students obnoxiously entered the classroom, making weird animal noises.

"I already am," Seohyun grumbled.

"You have to be engaged in it," Jessica claimed, "And I have got the perfect solution for you."

Seohyun closed her math textbook gently. 

"As much as I appreciate your concern," she rejected, "I will kindly refuse your offer."

"No, you're not," Jessica snatched away Seohyun's math textbook and stuck out her tongue.

"Hey!" Seohyun snapped and reached over to retrieve her book.

"Nuh-uh," Jessica giggled, "Not unless you come with me after school."

"Oh, please," Seohyun laughed sarcastically, "I want my math textbook back."

"Seohyun-ah," Jessica leaned in to whisper in her ear, "There are gonna be boys."

Seohyun's heart skipped a beat. 

Boys? 

She looked up at Jessica who suddenly had this I-knew-it expression on her face.

No! She can't know! 

Seohyun returned to her stern glare and reached further.

"I know you want to," Jessica teased, "And trust me. This will be your first time, so you can't say that it's bad or something, since you have zero experience."

Seohyun slouched back in her chair. 

"To what, exactly?" she demanded.

"A hangout," Jessica cocked her head to one side, "I'm going to introduce you to some of my friends."

Seohyun's eyes widened. 

Before she could reject Jessica's invitation, the teacher walked in. 

He rapped the wooden ruler he was carrying on the front desk. 

"Alright! We're going to start now..."

Jessica gave Seohyun one last wink and slipped Seohyun's math textbook into her bag. 

Seohyun had no choice. 

Already, it was lunch time and Seohyun took out her pocket money to purchase lunch. She walked over to the line when she realized Jessica was at the end of it. Before she was noticed, Seohyun hastily exited the cafeteria and dropped to the floor in exhaustion, leaning her head against the school wall.

"Why..." she mumbled. 

She closed her eyes to recollect her thoughts. 

There are gonna be boys

Seohyun bit her lip.

There are gonna be boys.

Her fingers crumpled up the dollar in her hand. 

There are gonna be---

She stood up to try to get back to her normal self. 

"You can't Seohyun!" she scolded herself, hitting herself on the head, "You can't fall for this trap!" 

There are gonna be boys

"Gah!" she was conflicted, "But I can't..."

She placed her hands over her eyes.

"Not after...not after that."

(Flashback to middle school) 

"Right, so one way you can use trigonometry without actually using calculations, is simplifying expressions. For instance, tangent is equivalent to sine over cosine..." 

He was perfect. Park sungsaenim. Well, Seohyun called him Yoochun Oppa in her mind. 

The fancy Italian suit. The rough hands holding the classroom pointer. The broad shoulders of his back figure when he turned to write on the chalkboard was just...Seohyun could never contain herself. 

Yoochun Oppa was the youngest member of the middle school faculty and it wasn't just her that fawned over him. Yoochun Oppa caught the eyes of the majority of the female students, and even certain female teachers.

"Okay, class dismissed!" Mr. Park announced, but nobody got up from their seats. Even the boys. 

"Saem!" one of the boys shouted, "Since it's the last day of school, can you buy all of us dinner tonight?!"

"Yeah!" the rest of the students cheered. 

Seohyun returned from her enchanting fantasy. 

Right. Today was the last day of school. She stared down in her lap. 

She had carefully written a confession note on pretty pink stationery that her father had given her as a gift from his business trip in Japan. 

"Fine, fine," Mr. Park calmed down his students, "I have to ask permission first." 

The students all got up to run to their lockers. Yoochun Oppa was erasing the chalk board. 

"Seohyun-ah," he smiled at her. 

Seohyun could feel her cheeks grow hot. 

"You're still here?" 

"Uh---" 

Yoochun Oppa put down the eraser and casually sat down in the desk in front of her.

He placed his arms on the edge of her desk and rested his chin, looking up at Seohyun. 

"You okay?" 

Seohyun was about to explode. 

"Oppa!" she squealed and presented the love note with two hands, her face looking down at the ground. 

Her teacher was taken aback. He sat up straight.

"Seohyun-ah..." 

"It's fine if you don't like me back! Just...just accept this!" Seohyun felt teary. This was the last living moment of her pride. 

"Seohyun-ah---"

"Please send me a response!" Seohyun took one last glance at him.

Seohyun grabbed her things and raced out of the room.

"Seohyun-ah!" Mr. Park tried to chase after her, but she was gone in a split second. 

He sighed, running his fingers through his hair. 

In one hand, he carried the love note. In the other, he carried a small envelope that had fallen from her bag. 

(Present, high school)

"There is no way I am living through that again," Seohyun didn't want to relive that embarassing moment in her mind. 

Before she knew it, the school day had come to an end, and sure enough, Jessica was waiting excitedly by her locker. 

"Come on," she urged, "We can't be late!" 

"Who said I was going?" Seohyun scoffed. 

"Ahem!" Jessica waved Seohyun's math textbook in the air. 

She tried to snatch it back from Jessica, but ultimately failed. 

"Let's go," Jessica linked arms with Seohyun and dragged her out to the school gates.

To Seohyun's shock, Jessica's friends were already waiting for her. 

Except, they were all boys. ALL BOYS. 

Seohyun's mouth almost dropped open, but she managed to stay composed, barely. 

"Hey!" Jessica greeted them. 

"Who's this?" one of them gestured towards Seohyun. 

"This is Seohyun, she's a friend of mine. She's coming with us. I invited her today." 

Jessica looked at Seohyun.

"Seohyun, meet my guy friends," she put her arm around Seohyun.

"This is Kang Minhyuk, Oh Sehun, Park Chanyeol, and Jung Yonghwa."

Seohyun was dazed. 

All of them were...BEAUTIFUL.

"Guys, meet Seohyun. Choi. Seohyun."