Plan

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

"Van."

Van saw a chat notification from Jane. He quickly typed in his reply.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Any visitors today?"

Van chuckled. Jane is checking on Kim like a private investigator.

"Yeah, every day. Today was someone from the HR. She says she just wanted to ask about some of Kim's requirements. I doubt it."

"Is there anyone that Kim seemed to have shown any interest yet?"

"As far as I can see, none."

"That's good! :-D"

Van wasn't interested in replying again until he saw another message from Jane.

"Hey, do you really like Pie?"

"Of course, I do. Why?"

"Well, I have this proposal."

"Is this something good?"

"Of course, silly. This will benefit both of us ;-)"

"Tell me more about it :-D"

"The plan is I'll help you with Pie while you help me with Kim."

"That sounds fair. When do we start?"

"Tonight."

---

It was the end of the day. Van saw Kim already preparing her stuff so he approached her, "Hey, going home now?"

"Almost, just sending a few more emails to clients."

He comfortably sat at Kim's table. "You seem to be in a hurry, you have plans for later?"

Kim thought about it first before shaking her head. "None on top of my head now. Why?"

"It's just that I noticed that you've been here for more than four months now but haven't hung out with anyone yet."

Kim bit her lip when she realized the same thing. "Now that you mention it, yeah, you're right. I didn't notice that myself."

"So, do you want to go with us later?"

"With whom?"

"Pie and Jane invited us to go out. You know, it's Friday and weekend is approaching. We might want to unwind for a bit," said Van convincingly. He tapped Kim's shoulder. "Plus, they want to celebrate the approval of the lipstick ad. You and Pie did a great job on that."

Kim was planning to turn down the offer until a certain name was mentioned. "Is it gonna be just the 4 of us? With Pie and Jane?"

"Yeah, yeah. The girls were actually expecting you'd come."

Kim's face lit up. "I guess, that sounds like a good plan."

"Cool."

---

"Hey, do you want to hang out later?" Jane asked Pie this time.

Pie, who's never really a fan of going out, immediately shook her head. "Nah, I just wanted to rest tonight. It was a stressful week."

"It's not every day that I get to go out with you," said Jane, pouting. She's got to pull this one off because Van already confirmed that Kim is coming.

"But we're together every day. You see, we even sit across each other."

Jane sighed, feeling more hopeless now. "Just this once, Pie, c'mon..."

Pie shook her head no. "You can't change my mind. I'm really tired."

"That's sad. Van and Kim were expecting you to come."

Of all the people, Pie never expected that Kim will be joining them. "T-they are coming with us?"

"Yeah, just the four of us. They thought we should be celebrating the approval of your project with Kim."

Pie stared at Jane for a moment, as if contemplating. Then she went back to arranging something on her table. "Are you sure that it's just the four of us?"

"Yeah. Do you want to bring someone else?"

"No, no..."

Jane grinned. "Does that mean you’re coming?”

"Fine. But I don't want to get drunk, okay?"

"Oh, you won't be."

---

The four of them met in the hallway near the lift area.

"There you are guys!" Jane exclaimed upon seeing Kim and Van. She looped her arms through Kim and looked at Van. "Where are we going, mister?"

Pie and Kim were silent like they both felt awkward. Kim gave a small smile. Pie returned it but turned away immediately when their eyes met.

"I have this place in mind right now. However, we might want to take a cab. My car's busted," said Van, scratching his head.

"I could drive all of us there if you want," said Kim.

"Wow, you have a car?" asked Jane.

"Mmm-mmm."

"That's good. Shall we?" Van pressed the elevator button.

---

Van brought them to a place called “BarZee”. It’s one of the most famous bars in town as it offers a restaurant, a bar, and a dance party.

The first and second floors were designated for the “eaters only”. The basement is the place to be for the “dancers”.

Van, Kim, Jane, and Pie arrived there and went to the third floor for the nice city view. Kim is sitting beside Jane and in front of Van. Van is beside Pie. They ordered food and started digging after it was served.

They are having casual talks while eating. It was halfway through the meal when Kim noticed that Pie isn’t really interacting with them. She observed the petite lady, thinking that maybe Pie doesn’t really want to invite her here tonight, only Jane and Van.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Pie paused after she felt that Kim was staring at her.

Kim wanted to smack herself for not realizing what she was doing. "I was just wondering if you're okay. You don't look like you're enjoying yourself."

Pie stared at Kim. She can easily do it this time because the place is dimmed. Deep inside she knows what Kim is talking about. She is not in her best mood, probably because of a certain person named Jane.

Ever since they went out that night, Jane keeps on clinging to Kim on every single chance she gets. Sometimes she does this obvious flirty act like hitting Kim in the arm, or shoulder, whenever Kim jokes; or touching Kim's hair like she's fixing it. It's just too obvious and Kim doesn't seem to mind it.

"Are you alright, Pie?" asked Van, scooting closer.

Kim raised an eyebrow. She knows Van is making a move now.

Pie gave Van a sweet smile. "I'm okay, don't worry. It's just that the stress from work has taken its toll on me."

Kim noticed how Van got stunned by the same smile that she loves.

"It's okay. That's why we're here, we need to unwind. Just forget about the office work for now. Let's enjoy the night," said Van, bringing his hands to Pie's shoulders to massage it.

Kim shook her head and smiled secretly.

"I will. Thanks for taking me out tonight," said Pie, still smiling sweetly.

"No worries. My pleasure." Van removed his hands right away.

"What the , Kim, is that you?"

Hearing the voice, Kim turned around and stood up at the sight of a familiar person. "Zee!"

“Oh, my goodness! You’re back from the dead, Kim!”

The two exchanged quick hugs. Zee pulled away first. "How are you, dude? I haven't seen you in a long time!"

"I've been busy with studies last year. After graduation, I started working right away."

"Really, why you didn't tell me? Why did you visit just now?"

"Too busy. I just had some night out with my co-workers. Come here." Kim led Zee to their table. "Guys, it is with great honor and pleasure that I introduce to you the owner of this bar, Zee, my friend."

Pie couldn't help but raise an eyebrow.

Zee? Another tomboy? Of course, they are friends. This one looks manlier, though. She's handsome but Kim is more charming.

"T-the owner of this bar?" asked Van slowly.

Zee nodded. "Don't be surprised, in case you guys didn't know," she put her arms around Kim's neck and messed her hair, "this kiddo here is a richer brat."

Kim fought until Zee let her go. "Stop it. You're messing my hair, dude."

"By the way, I'm Van."

"Hello." Zee shook his hand. Her eyes shifted to the lady beside Van and smiled like she's asking the name of the petite girl.

"Pie." Pie smiled widely and stretched her hand for a shake.

Zee bowed. "Nice to meet you Ms. Pie."

Jane stood up and stretched her right arm out too. "Hi, Zee, I'm Jane." Her eyes flickered like she just saw Adonis.

Zee held Jane's hand and kissed it. "It's my pleasure to meet you, my lady."

Oh my, Jane, you are hopeless.

Pie rolled her eyes. She's not mad at her best friend. It's just that there are times she gets irritated of Jane's eagerness to find true love. The fact that she easily falls someone, and loves flirting a lot, doesn't really help her in finding the right person.

"I hope you guys are enjoying your stay here," said Zee formally, rubbing her palms together. "If there's anything I can help you with, let me know. I can be your personal host for tonight."

"Do you have any special drinks you could offer us?" Jane's turned to flirt mode again.

"I could offer you our specialty house drink," said Zee, side glancing Kim.

"Yeah, I tell you guys, it's the best." Kim raised her two thumbs up.

"But if all of you are driving home, I won't tolerate you drinking," Zee warned.

"It's fine, give it to them. I'm driving them home," said Kim.

"Dude, the last time you said that, I remember receiving a call from a crying Nam, telling me you're in a hospital."

Kim laughed at the memory. "No, it's different this time. I won't drink. I promise. I just want them to experience it."

"What's so special about it Kim?" asked Jane.

Zee spoke on behalf of Kim, "It's chocolate flavored liquor. It's sweet like you're drinking a chocolate drink, with menthol catch, but it can get you drunk easily."

"Oooh, sounds inviting." Jane winked at Zee.

"I'd love to have that but I don't think Pie wants to have a drinking session tonight," said Van, placing an arm around Pie's shoulder.

Kim felt uncomfortable, so she pretends not to look at Pie and Van.

"It's okay. Just let me know if you need anything else." Zee showed them her handsome smile.

"Thanks, Zee," said Van.

Zee turned to Kim again and whispered, "Hey how's you and Nam?"

After hearing it twice, that name caught Pie's attention. She tried to listen to what they are talking about but Zee's voice lowered. And what's worse, Kim's reaction is tickling her curiosity more.

Nam? Who's Nam? A girlfriend?

"I... I haven't heard from her since she left last year..." said Kim.

"Dude, I met her last week, here."

"Really?"

"It's her, believe me. I'm not sure when she came back. Don't tell me she hasn't contacted you yet?"

Kim bit her lower lip and shook her head.

Zee scratched her chin. "Well... I don't know what's on her mind..."

Kim sighed in response.

"In that case, let me know any news about you, okay?"

"Yeah, thanks, Zee." Kim tapped her friend on the arm.

"I'll have to attend the other guests, excuse me for now." Zee left them.

Pie saw Kim standing for a while, staring at nothing. After few more seconds, she turned to them and sat back on the couch.

"C'mon, let's finish the food before it runs out from our plates," Kim joshed.

"Hey, why didn't you tell us that you knew the owner of this bar?" asked Van, still surprised.

Kim sipped on her soda first before saying, "I didn't think we'd bump into each other tonight. That person is too busy to pee."

"So, you used to go here often?" asked Pie.

"Yeah, before, years ago, with some friends."

Pie just nodded. Friends huh?

"About that choco drink, I really think you guys should have it. Don't worry. I won't drink tonight so I could drive us all home safely," said Kim.

"Yeah, I'm curious about that too. If Pie doesn't want to drink then we'll just order for Van and me," said Jane, wrapping her arms around Kim's waist.

"Good idea. We shouldn't let Kim drink. Nobody wants to wake up in the hospital tomorrow," Van joked and everyone laughed.

"Pie, do you prefer soda? Or I can get you iced-tea if you want," Kim asked her.

While thinking about it, Pie saw Jane's face move closer against Kim's ear. She covered with her left hand and whispered something, making Kim grin. But it didn't stop there, Pie noticed Jane's jaw still moving, meaning she's whispering more things to Kim. After few more seconds, both laughed.

Pie clenched both her fists on the table. "Let's all have that choco drink!"